• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
Yeah for a bug eeveelution I would have rathered something with big compound eyes and bee/dragon fly wings but it would have to keep its (dog/eevee?) like appearance

________
Hmmm... Could be
I'm more for fairy and flying than I am bug

Sylveon does look like it has compound eyes.......

adamfitz

poké-lover
Sylveon does look like it has compound eyes.......

Yeah but I meant eyes like venonat or butterfree, they don't look bug like, their more like victini's cute eyes

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Sorry for bringing sylveon back up
I never seen bug in sylveon but I noticed in the smash preview for the short
That sylveons symbol in the title screen acts like a butterfly flying towards the camera rather than a bow.
I'm still not sold on bug type, but its something for that side of the debate as almost all arguments are somewhat valid at this point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAPgSP_176U&feature=youtu.be

I hope Sylveon ends up Bug type, it would be so original and it will finally break the classic look of the actually Bug types that are totally based on insects. It doesn't look like fairy wings to me. It's very similar to the stereotypical butterfly symbol frequently draw by children.

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Except that Sylveon's names in every language explicitly refer to fairies, not butterflies.

I think, if we had to put a fairy in a type category (excluding if Fairy becomes a type), it would more likely go on the Normal, Psychic or Bug type. Well that's what I think. Beautifly looks a lot to a fairy to me, and there's my connection between bugs (especially butterflies) and the typical fairies. They are strongly similar.

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
Yeah but I meant eyes like venonat or butterfree, they don't look bug like, their more like victini's cute eyes

Well, Victini's eyes are more rounded, and it seem to have a pupil. Sylveon's eyes don't have an iris or a pupil, So why would the Game Freak do that if Sylveon was another type?

What I think is that since eeveelutions are all supposed to be cute, and insects aren't really the definition of cute, the decided to make the bug type eeveelution less bug-like.
Stevencloser said:
Except that Sylveon's names in every language explicitly refer to fairies, not butterflies.
They definitely don't explicitly refer to fairies. Sylph means wind spirit. butterflies could be wind spirits.

LusterPurge

Victory Star
That's all fair for dunsparce, I only say Dragon because it looks to have potential to evolve into a Basalisk... or...

they could (on an EXTREMELY distant parallel universe) have it go from normal to normal/ground to Dragon/ground.... but on a serious note, Dansparce either is really gonna get a normal evo, normal/ground evo, or no evo :/

...poor thing is so underlooked

Wait didn't they say it would gain the fairy type as secondary?

lindsy95

FC: 4428-2451-8791
They definitely don't explicitly refer to fairies. Sylph means wind spirit. butterflies could be wind spirits.

What about the German name? Feelinara. Which straight up has the word fairy in it.

And it's 'Sylv' not 'Sylph'?

Last edited:

stevencloser

Wiki:
"Because of their association with the ballet La Sylphide, where sylphs are identified with fairies and the medieval legends of fairyland, as well as a confusion with other "airy spirits" (e.g., in William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream), a slender girl may be referred to as a sylph.

Sylph has passed into general language as a term for minor spirits, elementals, or faeries of the air. Fantasy authors will sometimes employ sylphs in their fiction. Sylphs could create giant artistic clouds in the skies with their airy wings."

And the German name says it flat out: Feelinara. Fee = fairy, literally.

Last edited:

Shraeder

It's Lit
What about the German name? Feelinara. Which straight up has the word fairy in it.

And it's 'Sylv' not 'Sylph'?

The 'Sylv' is derived from the word "Sylph" according to earlier discussions.

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
Fairy type isn't real, or at least it's unannounced.

It's unannounced, but is terribly likely that it's real. ^^ I expect a official reveal in the next CoroCoro. Or else, that Q&A will be 90% 'Is ther a new Type?!' questions...

Yveltal96

A little more human

exactly. Also wind spirit could just as easily be flying as well.

Wiki:
"Because of their association with the ballet La Sylphide, where sylphs are identified with fairies and the medieval legends of fairyland, as well as a confusion with other "airy spirits" (e.g., in William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream), a slender girl may be referred to as a sylph.

Sylph has passed into general language as a term for minor spirits, elementals, or faeries of the air. Fantasy authors will sometimes employ sylphs in their fiction. Sylphs could create giant artistic clouds in the skies with their airy wings."

And the German name says it flat out: Feelinara. Fee = fairy, literally.
sylphs are still air elementals.
and congrats you know how to copy and paste from a wiki that anyone else can change when they want to *applauds*

Gergenator

Veteran Trainer
so what the news that smash showed on saturday if there was any?

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
Smash showed a short clip from the Eevee short, and it didn't really give any new details. ^^

Firebrand

Indomitable
Well, Victini's eyes are more rounded, and it seem to have a pupil. Sylveon's eyes don't have an iris or a pupil, So why would the Game Freak do that if Sylveon was another type?

What I think is that since eeveelutions are all supposed to be cute, and insects aren't really the definition of cute, the decided to make the bug type eeveelution less bug-like.

There was some Sylveon merchandise that was leaked some time ago, and it also supported the "butterfly" thing in its logos and packaging. I'm really hoping that Sylveon is a bug type, it would be a really interesting change from the other insects in its type. Plus, it would also help to explain away its fleshy ribbons as antennae.

It's unannounced, but is terribly likely that it's real. ^^ I expect a official reveal in the next CoroCoro. Or else, that Q&A will be 90% 'Is ther a new Type?!' questions...

It's not a Q&A. It's a presentation. I'm reasonably certain that they will just be saying things about the new games, and only reveal exactly as much as they want to reveal.

TanBun

I'm back :3
I think Sylveon might be a ghost/flying type or something?

I hope there will be in-game info about EV's , IV's amd stuff like that

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
There was some Sylveon merchandise that was leaked some time ago, and it also supported the "butterfly" thing in its logos and packaging. I'm really hoping that Sylveon is a bug type, it would be a really interesting change from the other insects in its type. Plus, it would also help to explain away its fleshy ribbons as antennae.

It's not a Q&A. It's a presentation. I'm reasonably certain that they will just be saying things about the new games, and only reveal exactly as much as they want to reveal.

It's saying it is a presentation AND a Q&A, so I was still kinda right. :p

Also, I really can't see Sylveon as Bug. I hope Fairy is confirmed soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.