• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yveltal96

A little more human
True. Why do we need to believe you? Everybody can say that they know the rumours to be true or false...

I never said you had to. But it is true. You can believe whatever you want, I am just saying I contacted them and that's what I have heard out of it.

DylanAqua

Master of the Mews
I believe catching a pokemon will be more adventurous in X&Y.
I've heard that you have to told or flip your device to toss the pokeball.
All speculation of course but would be more interactive.

Gergenator

Veteran Trainer
so Pokemon Z is new mew form?

Yveltal96

A little more human
As I said before, not more ridiculous than two pokemon trading armor when you trade them.

that evolution method seems more convoluted than ridiculous to me. Now holding your 3DS upside down? that's ridiculous.
startsarcasm/ next thing that's gunna happen is we're gunna have to light our 3DS on fire to evolve it into a fire type. \endsarcasm

so Pokemon Z is new mew form?

no that's just fan art

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
Holding the 3DS upside down to evolve a Pokémon sound good to me. Making use of the new features of the 3DS and all. Of course not everyone will like it, but I think people are making it sound much worse than it is. I mean, holding a 3DS upside down isn't really hard. :p

Anywho, I like that 'Z Mewtwo' fanart.

Yveltal96

A little more human
Holding the 3DS upside down to evolve a Pokémon sound good to me. Making use of the new features of the 3DS and all. Of course not everyone will like it, but I think people are making it sound much worse than it is. I mean, holding a 3DS upside down isn't really hard. :p

Anywho, I like that 'Z Mewtwo' fanart.

I never said it was a bad evolution method, it's just a ridiculous one, and why would holding the 3DS upside down evolve a squid into yet another squid anyways?
it makes no sense

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
I never said it was a bad evolution method, it's just a ridiculous one, and why would holding the 3DS upside down evolve a squid into yet another squid anyways?
it makes no sense

I didn't really mean you, rather just everyone that seems to hate it. ^^ And we really don't know enough about this Inkay and Malimar Pkmn to say it makes no sense. I mean, if this is true, then it has to make sense in some way (they'd not make that evolution method just for fun).

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
it makes no sense

Maybe squid pokemon 1 looks like the inverted version of squid pokemon 2? We don't know anything about their designs yet.

Also, like I said before, it isn't a ridiculous method to evolve Voltorb.

storm12

Weather Bearer
I hope they don't implement too many gimmicky evolutions, because it will lead to problems with later versions and other console games if an evolution method would only be possible in one lot of games; obviously they would retcon it like they did with Feebas into Milotic, but that kind of devalues the initial method of evolution. In regards to the actual pokemon in question, which is potentially a squid; what if it's first stage has a kappa-like hollow head which is like an inkwell and when it levels up, turning it upside would spill out the ink making it evolve. The first stage could be whitish or translucent like some real squid and the evolved form could be black?

Also Psychic/Dark typing for a squid isn't too hard to believe. Firstly, there is a number of non Water type aquatic Pokemon, so that isn't a problem. Secondly, squid ink could be used as a method of ambush attacking (I'm not sure if any squid utilize this in real life) which is a nice trait for a dark type. Also, squid being comparatively intelligent creatures (as a few people have already mentioned) makes sense for Psychic; though their large heads, (sometimes) translucent, glass like bodies, tentacles and uneven sized eyes also make for a freaky creature that you'd believe would have psychic abilities :D

Last edited:

mtie123

Johto's Hero
Maybe squid pokemon 1 looks like the inverted version of squid pokemon 2? We don't know anything about their designs yet.

Also, like I said before, it isn't a ridiculous method to evolve Voltorb.

There is the vampire squid which can turn it self inside out so flipping a squid pokemon upside down could in the pokeverse help it evolve i guess. Just spit balling here

storm12

Weather Bearer
There is the vampire squid which can turn it self inside out so flipping a squid pokemon upside down could in the pokeverse help it evolve i guess. Just spit balling here

Just looked it up (wikipedia of cause...) and a vampire squid based pokemon with this typing and evolution method seems right on the money! Good shout man :D

I always thought the Dark/Psychic combination would be perfect for a vampire based pokemon; as vampires can have some psychic abilities and dark is a no brainer really.

EDIT: some good moves for it: Flash (apparently the vampire squid can let loose disorientating blasts of light: COOL!), Sucker Punch, Zen Headbutt, Agility, Faint Attack, Crunch (squid beak), Giga Drain, Psycho Cut, Imprison, Shadow Sneak, Octozooka (though it says the vampire squid itself does not have an ink sack, I'd probably still expect ink based abilities on a squid pokemon)

Last edited:

OzymandiasJones

This isn't really a serious suggestion, but suppose that Sylveon was a ghost type, and it was a spirit which took the guise of something cute so that people don't suspect it, and then it causes massive arguments between people. That way, in the eevee short, the eevee could get into fights with other pokemon over sylveon, and it could be revealed as the 'baddie', and the whole thing about hiding it's type would be to purposefully cause arguments, which would be what Sylveon is meant to do all along.

I still don't like the idea, there is a thousand better ways to show off the gyroscop than evolution. It would be the same as to turn up the 3D effect for a thin pokeom to evolve into a fat one. A nice way to show the 3D effect but doesn't make any sense in-game.
They didn't invent any evolution method including two screens when the DS was first introduced, why do something similar now?

storm12

Weather Bearer
This isn't really a serious suggestion, but suppose that Sylveon was a ghost type, and it was a spirit which took the guise of something cute so that people don't suspect it, and then it causes massive arguments between people. That way, in the eevee short, the eevee could get into fights with other pokemon over sylveon, and it could be revealed as the 'baddie', and the whole thing about hiding it's type would be to purposefully cause arguments, which would be what Sylveon is meant to do all along.

That would be the most horrible trololol idea Gamefreak had- a 'joke' Ghost type Eeveelution would be crazy; though the meta-ness of this idea is pretty cool :p

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
I still don't like the idea, there is a thousand better ways to show off the gyroscop than evolution. It would be the same as to turn up the 3D effect for a thin pokeom to evolve into a fat one. A nice way to show the 3D effect but doesn't make any sense in-game.
They didn't invent any evolution method including two screens when the DS was first introduced, why do something similar now?

Because, the upper screen was just aesthetic. The lower part of the DS is where a majority of the magic happened.

Any why can't they just do it? It can be spontaious, e.t.c.

There's the Vampire squid theory, the ink theory. Heck, maybe Malimar is just a big upside down Inkay.

Because, the upper screen was just aesthetic. The lower part of the DS is where a majority of the magic happened.

Any why can't they just do it? It can be spontaious, e.t.c.

There's the Vampire squid theory, the ink theory. Heck, maybe Malimar is just a big upside down Inkay.

They could have made an evolution with the stylus, but let us all be thankful that didn't happen.

As I have said before, it is not a problem with how to change the pokemon(Hitmontop and Electrode would be good, already existing, examples). The problem is how it would be explained in-game (like would the trainer have to evolve it by holding it upside down, holding the pokeball upside down or what?) Without a decent explanation this would be unrealistic, by pokemon standards, and break the 4th wall.

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
They could have made an evolution with the stylus, but let us all be thankful that didn't happen.

As I have said before, it is not a problem with how to change the pokemon(Hitmontop and Electrode would be good, already existing, examples). The problem is how it would be explained in-game (like would the trainer have to evolve it by holding it upside down, holding the pokeball upside down or what?) Without a decent explanation this would be unrealistic, by pokemon standards, and break the 4th wall.

They never told us how to get Shedinja either, so I assume you would be able to get the info from a guide, or the official website. Something like "hold your 3DS upside down while surfing and prepare to be surprised!" or something to the lines of that. No fourth wall breaking required.

They never told us how to get Shedinja either, so I assume you would be able to get the info from a guide, or the official website. Something like "hold your 3DS upside down while surfing and prepare to be surprised!" or something to the lines of that. No fourth wall breaking required.

I think you misunderstand. I don't mean that they have to tell how to evolve the pokemon, but the evolution method itself. A pokemon taking an empty pokeball and joining your party doesn't break the 4th wall. A pokemon requiring you to turn the 3DS upside down would, if not explained very well.

mtie123

Johto's Hero
I think you misunderstand. I don't mean that they have to tell how to evolve the pokemon, but the evolution method itself. A pokemon taking an empty pokeball and joining your party doesn't break the 4th wall. A pokemon requiring you to turn the 3DS upside down would, if not explained very well.

What's wrong with breaking the fourth wall? I think it would be good because it would get the player more involved in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.