• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
I ESPECIALLY hope that the rumor about the types that are supposedly weak to Fairy is wrong.

Dragon makes sense, at least. It makes sense science-y wise (what with the whole "slay the Dragon fairytale" genre). It also weakens a competitively overpowered type and brings it down the the realm of mortals (or it'll at least TRY to).

Fighting would only make PARTIAL sense, however. Granted, it WOULD weaken another extremely powerful and popular competitive type; however, it doesn't really make sense science-y wise. In the fairy tales, the fighter is usually the protagonist; any fairies that opposed him would usually be the villains, which would mean that if anything, Fairies should be weak to Fighting-types, as opposed to the opposite (though I don't think that they should spin it like that; the LAST thing the meta-game needs is for Fighting-types to gain yet ANOTHER advantage over other Pokemon).

Lastly... Dark-types.
Seriously, GameFreak? Seriously? I know that you're nicknamed TrollFreak for a reason, but still.
Fairy-types being strong against Dark-types doesn't really make sense science-y wise. I say this because no matter how you view/interpret them, Dark-types being weak to Fairies doesn't make sense. If you view Dark-types as just a broad category for "evil", then Fairies being naturally strong against them fails because the fairies in fairy tales were just as capable of being evil as they were of being good. If you view Dark-types as utilizing dark arts such as black magic and stuff like that, then Fairies being strong against them doesn't work because, again, Fairies were just as capable of committing evil acts and using bad magic as they were of performing benign acts and using good magic. If you view Dark-types as Combat Pragmatists (like TV Tropes does), then Fairies being strong against them doesn't make sense simply because they don't connect. Mythical creatures being strong against creatures that aren't afraid to fight dirty makes about as sense as creatures that have pyrokinetic abilities (Fire-types) being strong against dirt (Ground-types). They don't really seem to connect.
Also, as well as not making sense science-y wise, Fairies being strong against Dark-types wouldn't make sense metagame-wise. The Dark-type, as we know, is only strong against Psychic-types and Ghost-types. They are immune to Psychic-types moves and resist themselves. They're already weak to Fighting-types (which are EVERYWHERE) and Bug-types (which, with Scizor, Volcarona, and Genesect running around, are quite popular - and let's not forget the ubiquitous U-Turn). Fairy-types are going to be quite popular due to their touted advantages against the powerful Dragon-type. The purpose of the Fairy-type is to help balance the metagame. However, will they really be doing this if their attacks are also super-effective against the struggling Dark-type? I don't think so.

That's my fifty cents on the issue. Feedback? Opinions? Flames? I'm open to all except the last one.

I've heard ice is rumored to be weak to it as well. They don't need another weakness.

^Sadly, he probably won't evolve it.

^I could see that.

R000

I ESPECIALLY hope that the rumor about the types that are supposedly weak to Fairy is wrong.

Dragon makes sense, at least. It makes sense science-y wise (what with the whole "slay the Dragon fairytale" genre). It also weakens a competitively overpowered type and brings it down the the realm of mortals (or it'll at least TRY to).

Fighting would only make PARTIAL sense, however. Granted, it WOULD weaken another extremely powerful and popular competitive type; however, it doesn't really make sense science-y wise. In the fairy tales, the fighter is usually the protagonist; any fairies that opposed him would usually be the villains, which would mean that if anything, Fairies should be weak to Fighting-types, as opposed to the opposite (though I don't think that they should spin it like that; the LAST thing the meta-game needs is for Fighting-types to gain yet ANOTHER advantage over other Pokemon).

Lastly... Dark-types.
Seriously, GameFreak? Seriously? I know that you're nicknamed TrollFreak for a reason, but still.
Fairy-types being strong against Dark-types doesn't really make sense science-y wise. I say this because no matter how you view/interpret them, Dark-types being weak to Fairies doesn't make sense. If you view Dark-types as just a broad category for "evil", then Fairies being naturally strong against them fails because the fairies in fairy tales were just as capable of being evil as they were of being good. If you view Dark-types as utilizing dark arts such as black magic and stuff like that, then Fairies being strong against them doesn't work because, again, Fairies were just as capable of committing evil acts and using bad magic as they were of performing benign acts and using good magic. If you view Dark-types as Combat Pragmatists (like TV Tropes does), then Fairies being strong against them doesn't make sense simply because they don't connect. Mythical creatures being strong against creatures that aren't afraid to fight dirty makes about as sense as creatures that have pyrokinetic abilities (Fire-types) being strong against dirt (Ground-types). They don't really seem to connect.
Also, as well as not making sense science-y wise, Fairies being strong against Dark-types wouldn't make sense metagame-wise. The Dark-type, as we know, is only strong against Psychic-types and Ghost-types. They are immune to Psychic-types moves and resist themselves. They're already weak to Fighting-types (which are EVERYWHERE) and Bug-types (which, with Scizor, Volcarona, and Genesect running around, are quite popular - and let's not forget the ubiquitous U-Turn). Fairy-types are going to be quite popular due to their touted advantages against the powerful Dragon-type. The purpose of the Fairy-type is to help balance the metagame. However, will they really be doing this if their attacks are also super-effective against the struggling Dark-type? I don't think so.

That's my fifty cents on the issue. Feedback? Opinions? Flames? I'm open to all except the last one.

Amen, brother! Dark types are also only strong and weak to two types. Adding another weakness would be awful. I say Dark should be STRONG or at least resist Fairy. Dark types don't really have that much going on as far as type match-ups go.

Last edited:

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Amen, brother! Dark types are also only strong and weak to two types. Adding another weakness would be awful. I say Dark should be STRONG against Fairy. Dark types don't really have that much going on as far as type match-ups go.

Yeah, why would fairies be strong against them?

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Best guess: Dark types are dirty fighters, Fairies are tricksters, Fairies would have the leg up because being tricksters themselves they can outdo the dirty fighters.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Best guess: Dark types are dirty fighters, Fairies are tricksters, Fairies would have the leg up because being tricksters themselves they can outdo the dirty fighters.

Wouldn't dirty fighters have tricks up their sleeve as well?

SkyBlue

I ate ColtonL
I can see 100(+) in both attack and defense for him. 75-80 defenses. So he'd be great.

Like your names. My Pangoro's gonna be named Betty, my chespin Bubba.

^Faster, perhaps. But I can't see much higher than 65-70.

I like your names :)
I'm naming my Malimar Squidward(or Ursula depends on gender :3), Flabebe Nymph, and my Pangoro Oreo :D

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Wouldn't dirty fighters have tricks up their sleeve as well?

Not really, dark fighters just fight dirty, tricksters will not play by the rules and since they have their own tricks that probably would have the advantage over whatever dirty tactics dark types have.

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
On the Fairy Type and Weakness thing heres my thoughts

Fairy being strong agenst Dragon makes sense as Dragon's in europe arn't that strong magically and Fairy are very strong magically I think how you'd explain a fairy being strong agenst a Asiaic dragon which is often strong magically is the magic is distictly different I guess (Also it's for balence)

Fairy being strong agenst fight types makes sense because fairy are know to trick humans and such and fighting types tend to be the most humaniod (not all but most)

I don't think Fairy should be strong agenst Dark unless it is weak to it because as mentioned before Fairy are capable of just as much mischeif and malice as any Dark type

Fairies weakness to steel makes sense as many creatures of europian legend were weak to iron because it was man made and steel also is man made

Poison makes sense because many Fairy are close to nature also iv heard people would use a special poison to kill fairy that were malicious and such

Ghost I must admit makes no sense as Fairy are sometimes refered to as spirits in legend so why would they be weak to ghost? (unless ghost powers just rub fairy the wrong way the same Fairy Magic rubs asiaic dragons the wrong way but hm)

Now one weakness I think Fairy should have is Fairy why? because look at all the types 14 types are based on a element (13 if you don't count Normal as a element) Fighting is a style of combat(normal could be considered a style of combat to because normal seems to cover all the moves that the other types don't so it's more like a general type) and 3 are based on creatures

Now two of the 3 based on creatures are weak to themself Ghost is weak to Ghost and Dragon weak to Dragon it's the fight fire with fire idea what better way to fight a dragon then with a dragon what better way to fight a ghost then with a ghost so sense Fairy is based on a creature I could see it following the same idea what better way to fight a fairy then with a fairy

Avi604

Reef Trainer
Iv really grown to like Pangoro it's my second fav bear my first fav is Ursring and my least fav is Beartic which is sad considering Polar Bears are my favorite kind of Bear but Beartics design is what gets me everything about it us fine except for the funny shaped top of the head and the ice beard I hope they to a proper(imo) Polar Bear one day but Pangoro is cool I like how he's got a short tempered/is aggressive but has a strong sense of fairness

I like Talonflame but one thing about it bothers me the crest Talonflame is based off a Paragrene Falcon but that crest makes it remind me of a parrot :/ not that Parrots are bad but it's just a bit weird for Talonflame but iv noticed all final evo's of the regional birds have a crest of some sort but I would have liked something more majestic like Pidgeots or something simple like Swellows well Talonflames is simple but I dunno it reminds me of a cockateal XP

I can't say for sure but I think the reason Talonflame has a crest like that is because he is part Red Cardinal and Paragrene Falcon in design at least that is what I see.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Not really, dark fighters just fight dirty, tricksters will not play by the rules and since they have their own tricks that probably would have the advantage over whatever dirty tactics dark types have.

You could argue that they're more or less the same thing.

^I like your names too. And your signature.

Life_The_Reaper

Purifying Harvester

I think they should both be neutral to each other or SE to each other since most fairies (not all) are usually referenced to light it wouldn't only make since they cancel each other out.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
You could argue that they're more or less the same thing.

^I like your names too.

You could, but think of it this way. Neither play by the rules but Dark fighters just use dirty tactics to win, Fairies don't care either way and would play with your expectations and tactics just for giggles. Basically it's a "means to an end" vs. "toying with the opponent."

I think they should both be neutral to each other or SE to each other since most fairies (not all) are usually referenced to light it wouldn't only make since they cancel each other out.

Due to the way media portrays light, Dark would probably be weak to them anyway since Dark is usually beaten out by light and the whole "goodness is associated with light and good beats evil."

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Neutral would make sense.

^Fair enough, but I still hope its a rumor.

R000

Now that I said it, I want Dark to resist Fairy. Fairies wouldn't have any tricks if it weren't for evil, which first came from darkness.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Now that I said it, I want Dark to resist Fairy. Fairies wouldn't have any tricks if it weren't for evil, which first came from darkness.

That's also a good point.

SkyBlue

I ate ColtonL
I hope fairy being immune to dragon is true and being weak to poison and steel.
I don't want dark to have another weakness, but maybe dark will be SE against it too.
Why would it be SE on ice? That makes no sense to me.

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
I think Talonflames crest is alittle long for a cardnal but truthfully it's alittle long for a Cockateal or Parrot too so that could be it

And I think Neutral would be best because not all Fairy are highly mischivious nor malicious or anything and there are a good protion that are good but there is also a good portion that arn't good and are highly mischivious or malicious so there really is no reason for Fairy to be strong or weak agenst Dark and Fighting dirty does include tricks look at sucker punch "Hey look!" *opponent turns* *Punch* if sucker punch isn't a tricky move im not sure what is and it's a dark tyoe move

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Being tricky=/=being evil, good guys uses tricks all the time (basically think of any plot twist where the good guy had a plan up his sleeve). Sometime to get a leg up on the opponent you have to trick them, it's not necessarily good or evil in itself, it's how it's used that changes that perception.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

I hope fairy being immune to dragon is true and being weak to poison and steel.
I don't want dark to have another weakness, but maybe dark will be SE against it too.
Why would it be SE on ice? That makes no sense to me.

Being immune to dragons seems like it just recreate the problem they were sent to fix.

Ice makes no sense.

R000

I love how the two with Pangoro (Dark type) as their avatar are relentlessly defending Dark types from Fairies (XD), but even if it weren't for Pangoro, I would still disapprove of making Dark types even weaker. I don't want my BAMF 6'11 Pangoro loosing a puny 0'9 Flabebe because of a 4x weakness to Fairy.

Status
Not open for further replies.