• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunny phoenix

Yeah I suggested this Rivalry to show the dominance that Orca's have over Dolphin's,
Similar to the Rivalry of Zangoose and Seviper, where the Mongoose has the advantage over the Viper,
And the Rivalry between Heatmor and Durant, where the Anteater has the advantage over the Ant.
Either way I wouldn't mind which Rivalry of species we get as long as we get one.

what rivalry between killer whales and dolphins?
also killer whales are dolphins....

RioluEeveeZorua fan

I found mega tentacruel: View attachment 10005

and also Mega Dragonite: http://hugefrigginarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/208330.jpg

In all seriousness, with the rumored list of possible Mega Evolutions and Blaziken already being known, I wonder if all Starters have the chance of obtaining a Mega Form. I feel like if that's the case, then the gym leader who is the master of Megavolutions (or whatever she is) probably gives you the 'whatever-inite' needed for your chosen starter.

OMG dude there is a DIFFERENT THREAD FOR THIS SORT OF STUFF, TAKE YOUR **** THERE!!!!

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
What about MegaSharpedo vs. MegaTyranitar? In fact, I'm surprised I haven't seen more things about T-tar becoming full-on Godzilla.

Speaking of MegaTyranitar...

That would be unappealing or at leastt unimpressive for a Mega forme for T-Tar. It would get a much more detailed look than just mtallic body parts. It's a great idea, but please discuss Mega formes here because your ideas would be much more discussed there.

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
That's Normal-type for you! Never thought about it but yes, it is odd, as only Normal-types share such a trait in defensive terms, apart from the weakness isn't double. It will make it hard to exploit defensively, which leads me to think perhaps Malamar will be a wall rather than a sweeper, with high Def and Sp.Def. it looks like it could have high HP as well, and with Contrary, it will be hard work exploiting those defences for opponents.

I don't know if dark/psychic will make a good defensive Pokemon after all in the competitive circle isn't a neutral stab what makes dragons so deadly in the current metagame? Defensively I think they want to get as many resistances as possible.

Regality

Digital King
This. In fact, dolphins are one of the few aquatic animals killer whales don't kill/eat.

Oh really?

[IMG300]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/24/article-2377154-1AF41256000005DC-72_964x1010.jpg[/IMG300]

what rivalry between killer whales and dolphins?
also killer whales are dolphins....

Yes, and technically all dolphins are whales.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
I don't know if dark/psychic will make a good defensive Pokemon after all in the competitive circle isn't a neutral stab what makes dragons so deadly in the current metagame? Defensively I think they want to get as many resistances as possible.
Yeah, the lack of resistances would make pretty difficult to be defensive since the only type that it is able to switch into safely is Psychic. Think of it this way: the difference between receiving a neutral hit and a resisted can be the difference between getting hit with a 120 base power move and a 60 base power move.
Yes, and technically all dolphins are whales.
That's not entirely true. Both dolphins and whales are in the same order, Cetacea, but they are in different families. Oceanic dolphins are in the Delphinidae family, in which there are no whales, and the few river dolphins belong to the Platanistoidea family. Whales are in different families, even different suborders if they are baleen whales. Whales and dolphins are as closely related as we are to all other primates.

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic

We can consider Malamar like a Normal-type, as I and oarfish came to the epiphany that Dark/Psychic will be like Normal-type (assuming Fairy SE on Dark and NVE on Psychic are true), with 1 weakness, 1 immunity and no resistances. Blissey can take hits all day in the Sp.Def department, and Snorlax can take quite a few as well. So there a couple of decent defensive Normal-types out there. I don't think Lickilicky is too bad in the defensive department either. If they have big enough bulk, they could do alright, but a couple of resistances would've been handy yes, I agree.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
We can consider Malamar like a Normal-type, as I and oarfi
sh came to the epiphany that Dark/Psychic will be like Normal-type (assuming Fairy SE on Dark and NVE on Psychic are true), with 1 weakness, 1 immunity and no resistances. Blissey can take hits all day in the Sp.Def department, and Snorlax can take quite a few as well. So there a couple of decent defensive Normal-types out there. I don't think Lickilicky is too bad in the defensive department either. If they have big enough bulk, they could do alright, but a couple of resistances would've been handy yes, I agree.
The difference being that Malamar's weakness is a 4x weakness. They also have high HP to help them absorb hits. Because of the lack of resistances and its only weakness being a 4x weakness, it will need something else to make it defensive. Here's a quote from Smogon's Normal analysis:
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue6/type_analysis_normal said:
Normal isn't much of a defensive type, lacking any resistances and featuring only one immunity. Defensive Normal Pokemon have to bring something more than decent stats to the table in order to be useful over Pokemon that feature actual resistances.

Porygon-Z is not the only member of the Porygon line with an OU niche. Porygon2's well rounded stats and large movepool, including Recover, Thunder Wave, and Toxic, make it a decent supporter. Add in the unique Trace ability, and Porygon2 gains the ability to bounce back Intimidates against Salamence and Gyarados, gain immunity to Heatran and Vaporeon's STAB, and many other cool tricks in the OU metagame.

The game's best special defender, hands down, is Blissey. With a mind boggling 255 base HP and 135 base Special Defense, there is a very short list of special attackers that can 2HKO a healthy Blissey even with maximized Special Attack. Blissey's excellent support moves like Wish and Heal Bell, combined with an array of elemental and status attacks, make Blissey one of the most versatile and useful defenders in OU.

Snorlax may not have the ludicrous stats of Blissey, but its high HP and Special Defense do allow it to take hits from many prominent special attackers. Snorlax can use this bulk to get more opportunities to boost its Attack and Defense stats with Curse, or simply serve as a defensive Choice Band user.

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic
The difference being that Malamar's weakness is a 4x weakness. They also have high HP to help them absorb hits. Because of the lack of resistances and its only weakness being a 4x weakness, it will need something else to make it defensive. Here's a quote from Smogon's Normal analysis:

Yes, I just read what you posted, and perhaps a Cursing Malamar could do well if it had access to it. Calm Mind would make a decent alternative I think, as Malamar seems a little more Special-orientated to me and as it is a Psychic-type, it would be more appropriate move. From the looks of Malamar, I think it is going to be pretty slow, so its other stats need to make up the difference. Maybe it might even get a MegaEvolution to help it along, who knows?

But you are right, life could be difficult for Malamar without resistances, just like it is so for many Normal and Ice-type Pokemon....
If it had a respectable 495 BST for example - perhaps it could go a little like this:-
HP:- 100
Attack:- 60
Defense:- 115
Sp. Attack:- 70
Sp. Defense:- 110
Speed:- 40
Total:- 495

EDIT:- Forgot about Contrary, forget about what I said about Curse and Calm Mind!!

Last edited:

Regality

Digital King
I want a Torpedo pokemon.

freezer1

Ice-type Fanatic

I just thought that it might have aggressive options instead utilising the move Topsy-Turvy. Psycho Boost or something along those concepts would obviously work well for Malamar with Contrary. I am getting very mixed up with Contrary and Topsy-Turvy as they both basically cancel each other out, and so I am getting quite tangled up here! It might get difficult trying to use Topsy-Turvy when Contrary is Lready in place. I suppose its advantageous being able to invert any stat changes at will, but if you want to increase your own stat changes it will take two turns rather than one. Most opponents' side-effects of moves will be stat-lowering, which will be stat-elevating with Contrary, so why the need of Topsy-Turvy when it will only change it back to stat-lowering? Suction Cups isn't that useful...

Last edited:

Ditto24

I just thought that it might have aggressive options instead utilising the move Topsy-Turvy. Psycho Boost or something along those concepts would obviously work well for Malamar with Contrary. I am getting very mixed up with Contrary and Topsy-Turvy as they both basically cancel eac other out, and so I am getting quite tangled up here! It might get difficult trying to use Topsy-Turvy when Contrary is Lready in place. I suppose its advantageous being able to never any stat changes at will, but if you want to increase your own stat changes it will take two turns rather than one. Most opponents' side-effects of moves will be stat-lowering, which will be stat-elevating with Contrary, so why the need of Topsy-Turvy when it will only change it back to stat-lowering? Suction Cups isn't that useful...

Doesn't Topsy-Turvy just reverse all the stat changes on the opponents Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.