• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photonkrios95

yes the 3DS is but what about the games?

apparentley there is a company that has a working flashcard for the roms, which are dumpable.

Maybe with 30 more pokemon, there could be some more grass types!

If your planning a mono grass team with only Gen6 Pokemon then you wont see any in the Pokemon left undiscovered in the regional dex's. All the spaces between Chespin and the Z-legenday are taken, so there wont be anything Pre-E4 for you to use with out mixing in other Gens or sticking with the 4 available.

Sephora

yes I'm back
There's no way making a 3D model is easier than making a 2D sprite, and this game didn't port models from the home console games.

When they make a 3D model, they need to incorporate the pokemon from many different angles. Whereas a 2D, they just need the front and back. Okay it may not be easier to do 3D, but it sure takes more work.

But Yveltal doesn't seem to be much of a protector since it basically destroys eveything. Shiva, in Hindu mythology, is the Destroyer. In Celtic mythology, the Morrigan takes the form of a crow and is the goddess of war and strife. In what way does the Yggdrasil eagle thematically resemble Yveltal?

Also with Xerneas, who is one stag, not four, and whose association with life and nature calls to mind figures like Brahma in Hindu mythology or the Celtic Cernunnos.

Furthermore, Niddhog is a somewhat destructive entity but Zygarde is a protector who cares about the ecosystem. Besides being a subterranean serpent, what mythical similarities do they share?

Supposing the Norse reference holds true... Nidhogg is one of the heralds of Ragnarok. The "bird" people are associating Yveltal with is also a herald of Ragnarok - well, there are three of them (Fjalar, the Deceiver, and the Crimson Rooster; Gullinkambi, the Golden Comb, singer to the AEsir in Asgard; and a final, Soot-Red Rooster that sits in Hel and cries out there). Jormungandr, the World-Serpent, holds the world in its coils, and, when it lets go of its tail, the world shall end (he doesn't fit so well, unfortunately, but it's good to look at him in relation to the others).

Of course, things don't quite line up. The numbers are incorrect. If we look at the typings and locations we know of (Which, I only know Zygarde of Zygarde's), Zygarde would have to be Nidhogg, watcher in the deep and dragon which flies, corpses in mouth, over the world as it sinks beneath the deep at the end of Ragnarok. Xerneas is, most likely, the Stags which walk the world and feed on the leaves 'pon the branches of Yggdrasil (I primarily say this due to Xerneas' first appearance and its design, in which it walked beneath the boughs of a tree). Yveltal fits the roosters very well in regards to color and role. Each creature is a herald of and key player in Ragnarok.

The Norse theory has things that fit, but, really, until we see the event legends and know the backstory of the region, we can't say for certain. I can tell you that it is most assuredly not Hindu mythology. France =/= India, and it would be downright negligent for GameFreak to use Hindu mythology thereat. The Celtic thing could work, if only for the fact that Western European myth all bled together a bit.

Underachiever007

Nightdawn

Gamer Since 1987
There's no way making a 3D model is easier than making a 2D sprite, and this game didn't port models from the home console games.

A game called Lone Survivor is 2D, it took them AGES to produce that 2D sprite quality. There is actually both ways to this. There are games and lot of them that takes less time to produce in 3D, I do 3D models a lot and it's really easy when you get the hang of it but alas that's my personal opinion.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Supposing the Norse reference holds true... Nidhogg is one of the heralds of Ragnarok. The "bird" people are associating Yveltal with is also a herald of Ragnarok - well, there are three of them (Fjalar, the Deceiver, and the Crimson Rooster; Gullinkambi, the Golden Comb, singer to the AEsir in Asgard; and a final, Soot-Red Rooster that sits in Hel and cries out there). Jormungandr, the World-Serpent, holds the world in its coils, and, when it lets go of its tail, the world shall end (he doesn't fit so well, unfortunately, but it's good to look at him in relation to the others).

Of course, things don't quite line up. The numbers are incorrect. If we look at the typings and locations we know of (Which, I only know Zygarde of Zygarde's), Zygarde would have to be Nidhogg, watcher in the deep and dragon which flies, corpses in mouth, over the world as it sinks beneath the deep at the end of Ragnarok. Xerneas is, most likely, the Stags which walk the world and feed on the leaves 'pon the branches of Yggdrasil (I primarily say this due to Xerneas' first appearance and its design, in which it walked beneath the boughs of a tree). Yveltal fits the roosters very well in regards to color and role. Each creature is a herald of and key player in Ragnarok.

The Norse theory has things that fit, but, really, until we see the event legends and know the backstory of the region, we can't say for certain. I can tell you that it is most assuredly not Hindu mythology. France =/= India, and it would be downright negligent for GameFreak to use Hindu mythology thereat. The Celtic thing could work, if only for the fact that Western European myth all bled together a bit.

You make good points, but the region's basis has nothing to do that of the mascot trio or any other trio, in fact, because America likewise =/= China, France, and Japan.

Mav-san

F*cking veteran
Hello, fellow Pokémon trainers.

What is new today in this splendid and mysterious region of Kalos?

I'll settle this for you.
Yveltal is more than likely Hræsvelgr.

Sephora

yes I'm back
Hello, fellow Pokémon trainers.

What is new today in this splendid and mysterious region of Kalos?

Nothing except people arguing over Yveltal, Xerneas, and Zygarde`s mythology.

America works, actually. The Muskedeers represent France's contribution in the creation of our country, and the Chinese trio is from Little China in New York.

avsimone

Magma Trainer
I really don't know what to expect from the fairy type Pokémon introduced this generation. They've got great special defense and are immune to dragon type attacks, so all of the physical dragons who use outrage/dragon claw/ dual chop etc. are going to be missing out on their STAB moves (unless they have a flying move... well on most of them they're flying) so in theory fairy types are perfect counters to dragons. But how are Pokémon like Floette (messed up the spelling I know) going to keep up competitively. They don't have a large number of resistances, so it may be hard for them to wall popular pokemon from this gen like reuniclus (with psyshock), ferrothorn, or any dragon who's faster and has a powerful non-dragon type move, namely stone edge, earthquake, heck even fire-fang. I don't mind the new type introduction. I actually really like it, but how are the new fairy types going to compete with older non-dragons ('cause they're out there and waiting to destroy fairies)

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I'll settle this for you.
Yveltal is more than likely Hræsvelgr.

But then, what relation does Hræsvelgr have to a stag? Ever since Gen III, the primary mascot duo has always been mythologically linked.

storm12

Weather Bearer
I don't think that the Hindu mythology would give a complete picture of the three legendaries, as there are a bit of ambiguous traits associated with it.

As far as the Celtic one goes, I haven't seen enough from it to be certain.

I think that Hindu myth, specifically the trimurti of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva do seem to have some slight influence here, I can't unsee it :S First I associated Shiva naturally with Yveltal- both being 'destroyers'- then I thought about Xerneas as being similar to Vishnu- both being preservers of life/existance- but with the reveal of Zyguarde, I think that Xerneas can be compared more to Brahma- the creator and holder of life's essence [represented by a lotus] with Zyguarde being like Vishnu- the preserver- like Zygaurde is the 'order' pokemon, balancing the line between life and death/ creation and destruction. It have to say, [gloating now :p] I did expect the underground thing though :)

Not saying that they can't blend both Norse with other regional myth/religion- as other people have said, Unova is a prime example of where the main influences upon the Legends is not the same as that upon the Region it's self.

But then, what relation does Hræsvelgr have to a stag? Ever since Gen III, the primary mascot duo has always been mythologically linked.

The stags? As in all four put into one? As in Xerneas?
Have you ever read the Poetic Edda?

Goomy

Big Tub Of Goo-my

There's both Eikþyrnir in Norse myths, and the four harts (Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór) who eat among the branches of Yggdrasill.
I don't know too much about them but they're there at the tree.

Arcanineblitz

Im loving the new pokedex in kalos this is the perfect region to do nuzlocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.