• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Diamond and Pearl Trainers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electabuzz

Normal Coordinator
I don't think that the name of the trainer is as important as the variety of the pokemon that they use. In the entire beginning of the games not to mention throughout the entire game, the trainers all use similar pokemon. I have yet to see a regular trainer use a Politoed or other such unique pokemon.

C

charger170

For some reason Brenden and May reminded made me think of pirates when i first saw pics of them. I hope The D/P Trainers have a cool genra like that. I know rangers are out since POKEMON RANGER... duh

Good idea on the mature trainers, cuz 10 year olds leaving home seems too unrealistic. I mean, im 18 and cant even legaly rent a car. How ae these poor kids expected to ACTUALLY function in the real world? Wow im getting off topic....

Light Wolf

Holy Wolf of Light
charger170 said:
Good idea on the mature trainers, cuz 10 year olds leaving home seems too unrealistic. I mean, im 18 and cant even legaly rent a car. How ae these poor kids expected to ACTUALLY function in the real world? Wow im getting off topic....
No, you're not getting off-topic, this thread is related to anithing that concerns the trainers :)
And I agree with you very much, a teen could do much better. I had no problems with playing with a kid, if the game is good, like in the Zelda games (excluding Zelda II and Ocarina of Time), but it's suppossed that you play with a normal person, not "the chosen one", so how that kid became so independant? That's why I think a 16 years old trainer fits well. It has been done in Colosseum, and actually Wes had 17; so 16, that BTW is my age :p is a good age. At least the evil team leader, once beaten, will not say again: "oh, a lone stupid kid screwed all our plans / I was beaten by a child / etc...

-Koumori-

Light_Wolf said:
No, you're not getting off-topic, this thread is related to anithing that concerns the trainers :)
And I agree with you very much, a teen could do much better. I had no problems with playing with a kid, if the game is good, like in the Zelda games (excluding Zelda II and Ocarina of Time), but it's suppossed that you play with a normal person, not "the chosen one", so how that kid became so independant? That's why I think a 16 years old trainer fits well. It has been done in Colosseum, and actually Wes had 17; so 16, that BTW is my age :p is a good age. At least the evil team leader, once beaten, will not say again: "oh, a lone stupid kid screwed all our plans / I was beaten by a child / etc...
I agree that an older Trainer, between 15 and 17 would be nice. But I suspect that in games where the 'heroes' are young, it's more possible because of the worlds they're from. In the world where Hyrule is, to use an example from Zelda, Link is probably much more mature at that young age, because of the dangers he would become aware of as he grows. The way I look at it, they're more prepared earlier on and therefore as capable as they would be a few years down the road.

That doesn't change my thought that it would be nice to have an older character to use, though. A nice example is how awesome it's going to be to play as an older Link in Twilight Princess. Seeing how the main characters of Pokemon Ranger are older could show a bit of hope towards the D/P Trainers being a few years above the usual, perhaps.

Light Wolf

Holy Wolf of Light
-Koumori- said:
I agree that an older Trainer, between 15 and 17 would be nice. But I suspect that in games where the 'heroes' are young, it's more possible because of the worlds they're from. In the world where Hyrule is, to use an example from Zelda, Link is probably much more mature at that young age, because of the dangers he would become aware of as he grows. The way I look at it, they're more prepared earlier on and therefore as capable as they would be a few years down the road.

That doesn't change my thought that it would be nice to have an older character to use, though. A nice example is how awesome it's going to be to play as an older Link in Twilight Princess. Seeing how the main characters of Pokemon Ranger are older could show a bit of hope towards the D/P Trainers being a few years above the usual, perhaps.
That's what I said. Link can do all those things because he's the "child of destiny".

E

Eeveelution

Some of you guys are right there isn't any mention of the ages in the games, some assume 10, but what i want to know is how they all get an education if they are you on their adventure, also it would make sense to have teen trainer
this would be great and make more sense, and like some of you say, them putting this after you pick your gender, if they do end up putting an age system in this game or even just making the trainers older i will be suprised.

oh and BTW how old do you recon brock the gym leader would be?
Because he seems to be older than ash in the anime and hes a gym leader and you have to be battleing awile to become good, and the same goes for misty i wonder how old she really is.

-Koumori-

Eeveelution said:
Some of you guys are right there isn't any mention of the ages in the games, some assume 10, but what i want to know is how they all get an education if they are you on their adventure, also it would make sense to have teen trainer
this would be great and make more sense, and like some of you say, them putting this after you pick your gender, if they do end up putting an age system in this game or even just making the trainers older i will be suprised.

oh and BTW how old do you recon brock the gym leader would be?
Because he seems to be older than ash in the anime and hes a gym leader and you have to be battleing awile to become good, and the same goes for misty i wonder how old she really is.
I don't really think an education applies if you're aiming to become a Trainer for your career. It seems that experience in the real way of Training would be more beneficial then going to Trainers school, which is also open as an option. If you don't want to be a Trainer, then you go to school, simple as that XD Just because they don't mention it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I would assume that Brock is somewhere around 15 or 16, and Misty 13 or 14.

B

Blazing Dragon

-Koumori- said:
That seems like a good age range to me, as well. Seems a little more realistic to let a sixteen year old leave on a journey with wild, flame spewing, electricity firing creatures, rather then a ten year old.

Light Wolf: People thinking Pokemon is childish is something you'll have to come to terms with. Because we happened to get stuck with a race that judges things too harshly, and thinks little of what they don't bother to try and understand, I don't think they'll be making an exception for Pokemon. The trainers that we take the place of can't really change the thoughts of an entire population - I'm sure they know that the entire game isn't filled with young characters. I believe it's the cute creature concept that seems childish to the pig-headed.

Exactly, It way too much for a 10-year old. At that age,mabey they could have some weak pokemon. You know, like a bell-sprout,or an aipom, ralts and Castform are nice too. All the baby pokemon fit in perfactly for them

Light Wolf

Holy Wolf of Light
pokemon master:Stranger said:
1st of all the main trainers from fr/lg r/s/e dont look 10 years old if you regster on colosseum you can see there like 13/14.
That's right. IMO, none of the AG trainers seems like a 10 year old. I still would prefer to see them older.

-Koumori-

Light_Wolf said:
That's what I said. Link can do all those things because he's the "child of destiny".
Ah, my appologies, Light Wolf. Oh well, my thought had to get out somewhere, so people can see it now.
Light_Wolf said:
That's right. IMO, none of the AG trainers seems like a 10 year old. I still would prefer to see them older.
They all looked around thirteen or fourteen to me as well. I'd like to see them a bit older, but if they stay around the same age I won't be bothered -_- it doesn't affect the gameplay.

JazzJazz

-Koumori- said:
if they stay around the same age I won't be bothered -_- it doesn't affect the gameplay.

Indeed, so long as the sprites look decent I won't care how old they appear to be because, in the end, it won't really impact upon the gameplay... and isn't that what's most important?

Light Wolf

Holy Wolf of Light
JazzJazz said:
Indeed, so long as the sprites look decent I won't care how old they appear to be because, in the end, it won't really impact upon the gameplay... and isn't that what's most important?
You're right, but a nice character model makes the game more enjoyable, the same with the graphics and music.

Eszett

one love
Light_Wolf said:
You're right, but a nice character model makes the game more enjoyable, the same with the graphics and music.
Quote for truth.

I would like to see them be around 14 or 18 years of age. If they were fourteen, I feel that that would be old enough for the 13-18 demographic to connect to yet young enough for the younger generation to connect to. If they were 18, I could see them being some sort of "role model/big brother/big sister" sort of role that everyone could aspire to.

Damn, I feel like some sleazy marketing agent now...

Samayowa

you amaze me.
Eszett said:
Quote for truth.

I would like to see them be around 14 or 18 years of age. If they were fourteen, I feel that that would be old enough for the 13-18 demographic to connect to yet young enough for the younger generation to connect to. If they were 18, I could see them being some sort of "role model/big brother/big sister" sort of role that everyone could aspire to.

Damn, I feel like some sleazy marketing agent now...

WOW....that's a really good idea...never thought of it that way before...

Diamond and Pearl

T

Torena No Nazo

Eh, yeah. Basically a repeat of what others have said. 14-15 would be good. But the trainers so seem to be getting older...I mean, when I saw the trainers for Ruby and Sapphire I was like "Oh, that's new and cool". has anyone noticed that Ken Sugimori (Is that right?) is brilliant at designing the clothes for all the characters in Pokemon? Seriously, If I could get the clothes like the male trainer from FR / LG I'd wear it even in my sleep. WITH the hat.

Or maybe he doesn't design the clothes. Anyway, the redesigns for the FR and LG trainers did seem to be redesigned to actually look older than 10 anyway.

Light Wolf

Holy Wolf of Light
Torena No Nazo said:
Eh, yeah. Basically a repeat of what others have said. 14-15 would be good. But the trainers so seem to be getting older...I mean, when I saw the trainers for Ruby and Sapphire I was like "Oh, that's new and cool". has anyone noticed that Ken Sugimori (Is that right?) is brilliant at designing the clothes for all the characters in Pokemon? Seriously, If I could get the clothes like the male trainer from FR / LG I'd wear it even in my sleep. WITH the hat.

Or maybe he doesn't design the clothes. Anyway, the redesigns for the FR and LG trainers did seem to be redesigned to actually look older than 10 anyway.
Yes, it's Ken Sugimori the one that makes the art. I agree with you about the FR/LG trainers' art to seem older. And I also like the clothes of them all, not to sleep with them, but I like them. So I think we can asume the next trainers are going to be a little older, with good clothes, like it's being a tradition. It could be a surprise if the male trainer it's a 10 years boy with only a short and a t-shirt. That won't happen.

XSilverStarboyX

Light_Wolf said:
Yes, it's Ken Sugimori the one that makes the art. I agree with you about the FR/LG trainers' art to seem older. And I also like the clothes of them all, not to sleep with them, but I like them. So I think we can asume the next trainers are going to be a little older, with good clothes, like it's being a tradition. It could be a surprise if the male trainer it's a 10 years boy with only a short and a t-shirt. That won't happen.
I like the way he designs things to. My favorite look is the one he gave the rival for GSC;152;

The Big Al said:
On a different note, I think it would be cool if they made your character two trainers (one a boy and the other a girl). You could switch who took point have side quests in which one got lost and the other has to find them.
Actually, I would like to see the girl trainer in the game but I think she should get the leftover pokemon you and your rival didnt choose. She would be an extra rival who would appear now and then;152;

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.