• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Diamond and Pearl VS Black and White/Best Wishes

DP VS BW

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Thanks for reminding me. There are many reasons Johto was viewed as such a disappointment when it originally aired. I remember even as a kid being so disappointed. I was in my teens when AG was going on so I was finally old enough to understand what the writers were doing with the series. DP did have some great episodes but it took a step back in other areas.

Paul, Pokehunter J and Team Galactic were all very well handled.

Oh,god,I remember.Johto was horrible,nothing happened.Episode after episode I was expecting for something exciting to happen,like an evolution or some big battle but it was the same thing..TR coming,stealing some pkmn,Pikachu used Thuderbolt blah blah.The Whirl Cup seemed like a breath of fresh air.

DP had some awesome tournaments and I liked that most of Ash's pkmn evolved...things were at least happening,it wasn't stale.

I would rate DP higher than what is BW right now.But I hope that I'll change my opinion.

croagunk22

i honestly did like dp but i only felt the need to watch it when sinnoh league victors started i honestly liked most episodes in that series but anyway i can honestly say the only things that i really dont like about bw are trip, ash feeling slightly weaker and cilan comparing everything to a food and being a connoiseur EVERYTHING!

Nacreous

Fire trainer
i honestly did like dp but i only felt the need to watch it when sinnoh league victors started i honestly liked most episodes in that series but anyway i can honestly say the only things that i really dont like about bw are trip, ash feeling slightly weaker and cilan comparing everything to a food and being a connoiseur EVERYTHING!

Yeah,Cilan tasting everything is kinda weird and boring.

I really enjoy seeing Bianca,though...I dunno why.She's interesting.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Why so much hate for DP? Honestly, it was the most plot given series to Pokemon. Not only did Ash have a competent rival that he clashed with time and time again (Unlike any other series) he also had what looks like his best team so far. Sure the pace was far from perfect, but at least the team got developed...at the rate BW is going (I do like BW) it doesn't seem like Ash will have the awesome team he could of had.

croagunk22

Why so much hate for DP? Honestly, it was the most plot given series to Pokemon. Not only did Ash have a competent rival that he clashed with time and time again (Unlike any other series) he also had what looks like his best team so far. Sure the pace was far from perfect, but at least the team got developed...at the rate BW is going (I do like BW) it doesn't seem like Ash will have the awesome team he could of had.

yes the points you made were the enjoyable parts about dp but i felt that the series dragged on and became unenjoyable with all the parts about it i didnt like (which was more than the parts i liked unfourtanetly) but i do agree with you about the team part i think the team will be powerful but no where near dp powerful

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
yes the points you made were the enjoyable parts about dp but i felt that the series dragged on and became unenjoyable with all the parts about it i didnt like (which was more than the parts i liked unfourtanetly) but i do agree with you about the team part i think the team will be powerful but no where near dp powerful
I think the gaps were because they either planned to make DP longer then AG or because they weren't gonna have a filler saga. But oh well, some filers were bad, but some of them were actually pretty good.

I think the only thing that might have brought DP down was some of the filler episodes. They didn't have that uniqueness about them that Kanto had and some of them really weren't that interesting (some were actually quite boring). I think if they worked a bit more on the fillers and had more of the humor and group interactions Kanto and Orange Islands had, DP would have pretty much been a perfect season of Pokemon.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
But what could possibly be wrong with Johto Cyber? :confused:

Nothing compared to AG and onwards OS as a whole was like a test in my book. Most for some reason think of Johto as separate from OS. no idea why. I liked Johto over the first half of OS. Kanto is kinda boring tbh.

Gotta disagree with you on that, AuraMaster. I thought the first half of OS especially the first 20-30 episodes were brilliant. There are some flaws in Kanto, but "boring" is not one of them. Of course, everyone has their opinions and that's completely fine :)

In my opinion, some of the greatest episodes and moments came from the first half of the Kanto series.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think the gaps were because they either planned to make DP longer then AG or because they weren't gonna have a filler saga. But oh well, some filers were bad, but some of them were actually pretty good.

Sometimes I feel the writers were having so much fun building the world of DP, they kind of lost the control over the sequence of happenings.

But my personal theory is that the writers planned to make DP last one more year but they couldn't because BW games were going to be release. Perhaps, they were told BW would take longer to be released and the writers decided to take their time but then the game developers changed their minds and released BW.

☭Secret_Shocker☭

I like D/P better, because I love the storyline and characters better than B/W. Darn, BW removed contests. Nintendo ruined B/W...

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I made a chart.

Sinnoh was great, and then Unova regressed back into Kanto.

And DP sucked due to the plot. If they did not get lost in Sinnoh but rather made it so the plot was shorter and not as many fillers it may have been ok. The Galactic finale was a disappointment. The best part of DP was the early part also the Johto part and the league. Or and the end too The ending was good.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Pokemon Contests. They'll be back.

I agree. They were a feature that appear in the games for two generations. I can see them coming back for the games' 6th gen.

pokemon fan 132

DP did have some bad fillers but all the plot-driven episodes made up for it.

Now that i think about it,most episodes in Sinnoh were indeed plot driven being focused on storyline. Like i said before, DP was probably region which had most detailed character development treating plots and story rather well. Dawn contest arc was massively fleshed out, Ash made biggest progress as trainer and lot of attention was given to game characters.

I believe DP was best when it comes to rivals with Paul being most fleshed out and developed rival Ash so far had,and whether you will like or dislike Dawn rivals you cant deny that Zoey, Kenny and to lesser extent Ursula influenced Dawn character bringing tension, serving as push which is supposed to advance character forward in attempt of catching up with them.

However if there is one thing i disliked about Sinnoh, was that too many episodes were focused on pokemon training and perfection of attacks. Many DP episodes despite being focused on story lacked humor and entertainment being rather bland and i have to say how BW is so far better in that aspect. Most of its episodes have good dynamic between characters and are actually funny. If DP had less episodes which focused on perfection of attacks i would be more satisfied with this saga and it wouldnt have hurt if we got some surprising cameos from older characters like Misty either.

Nothing compared to AG and onwards OS as a whole was like a test in my book. Most for some reason think of Johto as separate from OS. no idea why. I liked Johto over the first half of OS. Kanto is kinda boring tbh.

Im asking myself same question too. Whether people like it or not, Johto was part of original series with first 5 seasons having title "Pocket Monsters".

Johto had its flaws,but it had more to like than dislike imo. Misty and Brock got more screen time and battled more than they did in Kanto, original trio still had great chemistry having several memorable moments there, we had some great arcs like Whirl islands and its cup, Red Gyarados, Larvitar, mini story arc with Clair, dragon temple and Dragonite and Silver conference was one of best leagues pokemon had imo. As for fillers most of them were actually funny bringing entertainment Like "Heartbreak of Brock", "Hook,line and Stinker", "Hocus Pokemon" , "Snubull Snobery", "Fortune Hunters",One trick Phoney etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.