• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Diamond and Pearl VS Black and White/Best Wishes

DP VS BW

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
DP was one of the greatest series there is. The only thing that let it down was the annoying abused infernape plot that went overboard.

BW is good what with the new pokemon like dark types and rock types being caught as well as water pokemon getting chance to shine but I hate every new character in unova and all of the rebooted things like how team rocket look and how they are making it too much like kanto.

Sure hope your joking Besides the Johto arc and Galactic Infernape was the only non boring part

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
BW is good what with the new pokemon like dark types and rock types being caught as well as water pokemon getting chance to shine but I hate every new character in unova and all of the rebooted things like how team rocket look and how they are making it too much like kanto.

You're comparing Best Wishes with Kanto, why? They're completely different, both with Ash, Pikachu, the level of comedy, rivals and whatnot...

violet ketchum

Reshiram is so cool
You're comparing Best Wishes with Kanto, why? They're completely different, both with Ash, Pikachu, the level of comedy, rivals and whatnot...

I do love Best wishes but i do consider it like The original series. The episode 'bye bye Butterfree' and ' Cottonee in Love' were basically the same. Team Rocket even captured the Cottonee's the same way as they Captured the Butterfrees. The Indigo leagues was one of there most successful series yet and there probably wanting to make the Best Wishes series successful too. Considering the Fact that Brock and Misty are Gym Leadres and Cilan is a gym Leader and Iris Is a Gym Leader and Probably going to Be a gym leader in the Series too. And there's no Contests. But overall i love Both Series.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I do love Best wishes but i do consider it like The original series. The episode 'bye bye Butterfree' and ' Cottonee in Love' were basically the same. Team Rocket even captured the Cottonee's the same way as they Captured the Butterfrees.

Not really the best example, since DP had an even more similar episode to that one, the one where Dustox left. It's one of those episodes which seems to be a model that they revisit whenever they want to make an emotional departure episode.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
DP could of been good if the writing for it was not so bad. They were moments that were just ugh...

Thriller

Its almost time
I've kinda liked Best Wishes better. But my opinion probably shouldn't matter, because like with DP, I don't really have time to be watching Pokemon cartoons.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Best Wishes isn't finished yet, so it could still surpass DP I guess, kinda hard to judge as a whole.

But so far from what I've seen, Diamond and Pearl is better for me. The only thing Best Wishes does better is the group dynamic. Ash, Cilan, and Iris click far better then Ash, Dawn, and Brock as a whole. Still it means nothing if you don't care for any of the three, which I don't. I don't even get excited for Bianca appearances anymore. I feel between her and Barry, that hyper style of character is starting to run out of steam.

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
When it comes down to the writing and battles, DP is better SO FAR. BW hasn't finished yet, so who knows what can happen!

However, in character chemistry, BW wins.

Everyone who voted Sinnoh are obvious Dawn fans, and everyone knows that Dawn's only appealing characteristic is her okay arse.

Just because I like a saga better than another one makes me a fanboy for a certain character?

I really hope you're joking. I didn't even like Dawn in the first place, but statements like these are just wrong...

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Dawn herself was a fine character it's just that she wasn't integrated with Ash and Brock well. The whole DP trio in general felt imbalanced.

Dawn probably would have worked better in her own series rather than traveling with Ash and Brock. Although to be fair if Brock was replaced instead the DP trio would have likely had better chemistry.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
The only good writing was J,Galactics and most of the rivals. Early DP was fun but after Ash won his 5th badge it went downhill

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
DP was better. For those who got bored watching it the first time around, give it another chance. Now you can watch all eps back to back and blow through it quickly.

DP had a lot of interesting plotlines, battles, continuity, and the best rivals and villains of the series.

The only thing bad about it was the DP trio had little chemistry, the release of Ambipom and the rushed league.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
That's the beauty of it. Now you can skip over the weak fillers but watch all the important episodes. No waiting "one ep per week" like when a saga airs for the first time.

I think its mostly just that people finally got bored of Brock and Team Rocket in DP, which is why they were totally changed in BW.

thunderblade12

So far Diamond and Pearl...

While I do agree that Best Wishes rapes DP when it comes to chemistry among the characters, it just seems flat. I never felt that the chemistry in this show was anything special. That's my same problem with people building up the supposed revolutionary chemistry in Kanto. How many times have we seen these same personalities clash in other shows, movies, books, and video games (most of which did it better than Pokemon)? And anime comedy isn't funny to me. Maybe I'm not lighthearted enough to find kiddie comedy humorous, sorry.

These aspects were never the shows strong suit and I don't think they should focus on them. DP did it greatly.

Although, BW does have potential. I don't think the story is as bad as people are saying. We seem to be back to Johto-esque battles, which isn't bad. They don't touch any of the battles from Sinnoh or even the Battle Frontier, but they're decent. I think it has the potential to be better than Sinnoh. With Kanto's character interactions (even though I don't care for them) and Sinnoh's plots and development it may become the best of both worlds. Or a complete flop in comparison, we'll have to see.

Things that need to happen for the former to be true:
- Make us actually care about Trip and Ash's rivalry. Trip really needs some kind of backstory to justify him being so strong.
- Don't give Team Plasma the Porygon treatment. Team Galactic and Hunter J made us forget that this show is suitable for four year olds for a minute.
- There's a decent cast of characters, don't ignore them. Characters like Stephan and Luke(?) are obviously going to be rarely seen, if they're seen again at all, but someone like Burgundy and Langley need more appearances. Ash's pokemon could definiteky be handled better.

Things that are an improvement from DP:
- The character interactions and comedy. They're cliche and boring, but at least they exist.
- A cast of three characters that actually do something. I never cared about what Brock caught, but at least with Cilan I know his captures will be seen more than four times in the series.
- No more of Team Rocket's nonsense eating away at time that could be spent on things we haven't seen for 600+ episodes
- Ash rotating. It makes him seem like a better trainer, like Gary or Paul. It shows growth and gives us more variety so we don't get bored with his team. It may also prevent any releases. They need to show certain members of his team more often though.

Dax

Legend
Other than the interaction between cast members, BW is highly inferior to Diamond/Pearl. It lacks consistency and the innovations introduced haven't been executed properly. Also, this is Ash's worst team since Johto.

Best Wishes, durr focking hurr. Everyone who voted Sinnoh are obvious Dawn fans, and everyone knows that Dawn's only appealing characteristic is her okay arse.

Idiotic assumption. I highly enjoyed Dawn's character and it had nothing to do with her arse or wanting to be like her or anything. I thought her personality and development were the only things bringing life to a trio of an useless breeder and a generic protagonist.

epic man

STOP ACTA EVERYWHERE
B&W all the way! DP sucked and was boring, no humor, and it is the worse season of anime in the history of pokemon, galatic battle :p

DP was a joke, how did i watch it? WTH

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
B&W all the way! DP sucked and was boring, no humor, and it is the worse season of anime in the history of pokemon, galatic battle :p

DP was a joke, how did i watch it? WTH

Thank you sir or mam :)

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Idiotic assumption. I highl enjoyed Dawn's character and it had nothing to do with her arse or wanting to be like her or anything. I thought her personality and development were the only things bringing life to a trio of an useless breeder and a generic protagonist.

I agree with this. Although to be fair the Ash and Dawn interaction was OK. But that alone didn't save the trio.

As I've said before, Dawn probably would have worked better in her own series as the main protagonist rather than traveling with Ash/Brock. Dawn was perfectly capable of traveling by herself in the first episode too.

thunderblade12

One thing I'm not liking about Best Wishes is how we're five gyms in now and we've only seen Team Plasma once (kinda) and Adler is the only Elite 4 member (technically Champion) to have appeared. If they downplay them in the anime, then that's a huge step down from Diamond and Pearl.

Status
Not open for further replies.