• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Diamond and Pearl VS Black and White/Best Wishes

DP VS BW

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthia100

Black and White.

DP is way better than BW. I don't find anything in BW entertaining at all. Also DP has really good battles and the battles in BW are mediocre at best.

Well, DP did have some pretty awesome Pokemon Battles. But in DP, Pokemon development was terrible. Even Pikachu lost some of his fabulous personality. And we all know that we almost wanted to punch Brock. He would always point out the obvious at the end of the episode. I'd be sitting there going "You call yourself a Pokemon Breeder?!"

I like B/W much better. (no, not just because I think Cilan is Fabulous.) The character development is much better, and the Pokemon have so much personality! (though it took them SO LONG to reach Nimbasa City, then even put a movie in there!)

I hope you won't still be acting this way once delicious N appears. You can't resist delicious N.

I would LOVE to see N. But you know that there going to screw up his voice.
N's voice is supposed to be a smooth as silk. CN is going to make him sound like a tuba with Poop shoved down it's windpipe. Maybe he could make a cameo appearance or something.

- Don't give Team Plasma the Porygon treatment. Team Galactic and Hunter J made us forget that this show is suitable for four year olds for a minute.

So true. They need to air that episode. Even if it's late.

So far B/W. I feel like the D/P anime insulted my memories of My First Pokemon game and the Sinnoh region. If Ash ever meets Paul again, I hope Ash destroys him.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
The only things in Best Wishes I like are the pacing, Ash's captures and rotations, and Cilan over Brock. D/P is still my favorite.

I've been a Pokemon anime fan since it was first released here in the UK, I've watched the majority of the episodes in the first four sagas, I gave Black and White a chance but I must say, I find it intolerably boring. Cilian is an awful character, he just flat out sucks, his jokes make my ears bleed, similar thing with Iris, her whole "You are such a kid" routine makes me want to pull my hair out. To me, BW's only redeeming factor could be the Team Rocket vs Team Plasma plot, I hope they don't muck it up.

Until then, Sinnoh repeats please ^_^

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Other than the interaction between cast members, BW is highly inferior to Diamond/Pearl. It lacks consistency and the innovations introduced haven't been executed properly. Also, this is Ash's worst team since Johto.

Idiotic assumption. I highly enjoyed Dawn's character and it had nothing to do with her arse or wanting to be like her or anything. I thought her personality and development were the only things bringing life to a trio of an useless breeder and a generic protagonist.

That's dumb, Dax. You're comparing a big as fock 190 episode finished region with a small, relaxing currently at 60 or so episodes region, and you won't even give it the benefit that things will get even more interesting as the characters begin to develop and open up. Also, this is Ash's most entertaining team since Hoenn.

Are you calling me an idiot just because I look past the design and see a deeply flawed character who makes no attempt to correct her mistakes, only burying it even further by not even confiding in her mother about her flow of losses from Dawn's Early Night to the finale of the Wallace Cup. We already know that she's such a fabbo coordinator, so how come we couldn't see Johanna giving more pep talks to Dawn, and that Johanna herself wasn't a gifted coordinator from the get go? All this apparently excellent development is truly as deep as the kiddies pool at Butlins, and I found myself wallowing in a cold shower every time this develoment went to waste. I'm disappointed so hard in Sinnoh.

Last edited:

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I gave Black and White a chance but I must say, I find it intolerably boring. Cilian is an awful character, he just flat out sucks, his jokes make my ears bleed,

In Japanese his voice is very, very ear pleasing. :3 I think Dento's food puns are a lot more tolerable in the RAW than the Dub. (Especially if you go by how he says it and not the content. xD)

Grei

not the color
I feel like both DP and BW fail in their own ways. Maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly, but it really feels like BW is slow in development in comparison to other sagas. I enjoy that there's been a bit less filler here than in the past, but as far as Ash's Pokemon... I feel like the development isn't where it could be.

Then again, I do feel like DP had a lot of potential and ended up being screwed over by Infernape and poor timing of events. We were given a year of little substance between Snowpoint and Sunyshore, a time span where the writers clearly weren't sure what was going to happen after DP, and then a clear shift where the writers did learn that BW was coming, where the anime suddenly picked up and sped through things. DP's league, for as awesome as it could have been, sucked majorly. Ash's only real battle was against Paul. The writers chose to focus on Infernape's awesomeness and on Ash vs. Paul when there was potential to do so much more. In turn, certain things were shafted and overall, the ending of the saga felt very underwhelming.

On the point of Dawn... I like Dawn, and I think her initial personality (as basically a female version of Ash, rather than the girly-girl May) was wonderful, but beyond that and a few episodes of development, she was sort of... meh. Her development really didn't seem to go anywhere. She clearly had victories where she shouldn't have--vs. May, for instance. Then, she lost in the Conference and never really did anything after that. Boring and underwhelming.

I have high hopes for BW, but some of them have been dashed now that we're over sixty episodes in and it feels as if nothing of true significance has really happened. Ash, Iris, and Cilan are pretty much unchanged from the beginning of the saga, Pokemon are still getting heavily shafted (funnily, it's the Pokemon that are evolving now) and the writers are still putting in stupid fillers and playing favorites. BW's sort of iffy for me at the moment, but it's too soon to really tell if it's better than DP.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
DP had a huge bunch of stupid unnecessary episodes. the rival sucked, and Dawn's team kinda sucked too.
I haven't watched much of BW, but as far as I've seen, it is much better than DP

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Dawn's rivals might have been terrible, but Ash's rivals in DP was very good.

I think the problem with DP is it was just stretched out too long. It did a number of amazing things for its time and pushed the show forward in a lot of ways.

I also think people are forgetting how good the battles were. DP had the best battles of the entire anime.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I'm going to say DP for now, because it's completed. BW is only about half-way through, but it still feels like it's developing slower than DP (in terms of characters and Pokemon, not fillers.)

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
When I think about it, Paul was the only true Ash rival I liked in DP. Barry was a awesome character and should have been on the main cast instead he sucked royally as a rival the only one worse then him is Bianca. Then there's Conway who is awesome as well but again he was paired with the wrong character and league. Still better then BW's rivals but meh. I guess I'm still waiting for Team Plasma to show up just to see how they screw up N XD

Draco-123

Dragon Master
I also think people are forgetting how good the battles were. DP had the best battles of the entire anime.

This part is totally subjective. The only two battles that were in DP that I would re-watch would be Ash vs Maylene (specifically buizel vs lucario) and Ash and Paul's first full team battle. The others were fairly average to me.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
On the point of Dawn... I like Dawn, and I think her initial personality (as basically a female version of Ash, rather than the girly-girl May) was wonderful, but beyond that and a few episodes of development, she was sort of... meh.

I think most would agree that Dawn's personality was a lot more fun in the early portion of DP. She also had a slight temper back then that seemingly disappeared. After the Wallace Cup ended her character just kinda went through the motions and took a backseat to all the Ash/Paul stuff. They also went overboard on the girliness, at least IMO. With May there was at least a balance.

Then, she lost in the Conference and never really did anything after that. Boring and underwhelming.

What did you expect her to do? After the Grand Festival her quest was over, and she was there to watch/support Ash in the Sinnoh league. May did the exact same thing back in Hoenn after her Grand Festival ended.

Although I will say that when AG was ending they somehow managed to keep May in the spotlight up till the last episode, ending with her Blaziken being evolved, something they didn't do as much with Dawn.

And considering Iris doesn't really do much on an episode to episode basis, I don't see what you're complaining about Dawn's screentime, when we know she got the most of all 4 girls.

Ludi-Kero!

Hugging 'til the end
Obviously, a full comparison is not possible; as BW! is still -young-. But comparing both series after their first 61 episodes, it's clear that Diamond & Pearl did much more things right.

The first 60 episodes of Sinnoh were just too good. They not only were great episodes by their own, they also managed to tell you "something bigger is coming"- by the 61st episode you knew there were a lot of plots coming together:

*The "Dawn's Depression" Arc becomes a reality with the Solaceon Convention. Her character begins to change and all the little plot points are beginning to add up. Up to this point, Dawn was a character who had a -better- start than the average rookie. She had "special" training back at home by being the daughter of a Top Coordinator, but in this span she begins to realize that being the child of a prodigy doesn't make you one and that having good ideas isn't enough. Losing in the appeal round twice, the Poffin episode, the training episodes and the Buizel capture are examples of this.

*The Team Galactic plot also lifts off with the Solaceon Ruins episode. By now, we have seen just a little glimpse of their role in the future episodes, but that was the point. We knew they are after the Adamant Orb (DP036). We knew that the Sinnoh Mythology is being touched upon. (DP001/DP036/DP040/DP060). Again, the little plot points begin to add. [/and surprise, surprise, both of this stories keep unleashing in the upcoming Veilstone arc].

By the 61st episode, DP had a lot of things happening- for all kinds of tastes. There were Ash episodes, Dawn episodes, crack episodes, action episodes, etc. DP also had something that previous sagas couldn't really fulfill: episode arcs. The first 3 episodes, the Hearthome arc, the Cheryl arc, the Oreburgh arc. And all of those are filled with top-notch episodes.

It also had a better management of screentime overall (even if that's a flaw that has never been corrected). With the exception of Brock (and he even got arguably the most development since Kanto), all the other characters had enough screentime up to this point. Ash? Finally someone appeared who made him develop. Dawn? Already explained. Team Rocket? Candy Musalina happened. Also, the writers began to use their "obligatory" appearances better: in the gym episodes they were doing something more useful/interesting- like explaining the Sinnoh Underground or moving along the Oreburgh plot. Rival characters? Paul and Zoey appeared a lot in different situations (not only battles). Secondary characters? They were enjoying screentime time too, like two really good J episodes. The Pokémon? Oh boy, the screentime of these set destroys BW!. All of Ash pokémon had memorable moments by now. Same for Dawn. Even Brock's gang. I mean, you at least knew the Pokémon were alive.

And finally, one of the things that really makes DP shine imo. The fact that you really feel that it is a series, and not just random episodes put together. The series is truly connected, and almost everything is there for a reason. (It also helped that this series didn't forget about the past regions; unlike BW!). I mean, even tiny details like the Pokétch was brought up again many times- getting it, using it for the Poffins, the whole maze episode was because of it, even the useless Coin Flip app was used a lot.

And all those things are things that Best Wishes! lacks. Sure, the Ash-Iris-Cilan dynamic is more interesting, but Ash-Dawn was also great. Sure, Cilan is an excellent character, but Iris is a really bad one. There is a nice set of interesting characters, and I love a lot of them- too bad they somehow manage to make them annoying sometimes (Like Bianca).

The screentime of some things in BW! is pathetic: Tranquill/Roggenrola/Swadloon/Woobat/Yamask are a bad joke. The way they waste plots is appalling, and so is the way they *try* to justify things: 3 gym battles were ruined by this, Iris' character is being ruined by this, the Don Battle arc was ruined by this. Team Rocket is just sooo bad. They're the same losers/non-intimidating villains they were before- except this time they are less funny, more boring. Team Rocket is easily at its worst. The main rivalry is horrible. On top of that, you have to really wonder if anything is going to lead to better things.

tl;dr: BW! has been ok. DP was really great. Both have flaws, but BW! has much more flaws. If BW! is going to get better, it should happen now. (well, it should have happened long time ago). The next episodes look good on paper, but BW! has managed to destroy that kind of feeling before (hello, Don Battle arc).

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The first 60 episodes of Sinnoh were just too good. They not only were great episodes by their own, they also managed to tell you "something bigger is coming"- by the 61st episode you knew there were a lot of plots coming together:

And finally, one of the things that really makes DP shine imo. The fact that you really feel that it is a series, and not just random episodes put together. The series is truly connected, and almost everything is there for a reason. (It also helped that this series didn't forget about the past regions; unlike BW!). I mean, even tiny details like the Pokétch was brought up again many times- getting it, using it for the Poffins, the whole maze episode was because of it, even the useless Coin Flip app was used a lot.

Yeah, I think you said everything that needs to be said here. DP's only major faults was the lack of humor and the DP trio having very little chemistry, but all the other stuff it got right with few exception.

If the DP trio wasn't as dull as it was most of the time, we would have had a really good and enjoyable saga. BW might have a better cast, but the plot/handling is worse.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Oh lawdy, Ludi-Kero's the complete inverse of me.
Do I care about all that "interesting" crap going on? Nope.avi, I just wanted some damn battles, not girly crap (that's unsuitable for wimminz) and unattractive characters in both senses. Sinnoh's disappointed the crap outta me.
...Oh? Plot-centric battles? Yeah, you could say that in the sense of gyms, but ones like Hunter J and Galactic made me cry in the shower, as I stated several times before. Why is Cynthia threatening Commander Jupiter herself with Garchomp's claws? Pokemon-on-Human violence is so not suited for a kiddies show! I wish I was here at the time, me and Cyber would be partners in crime common sense and justice!

Grei

not the color
Oh lawdy, Ludi-Kero's the complete inverse of me.
Do I care about all that "interesting" crap going on? Nope.avi, I just wanted some damn battles, not girly crap (that's unsuitable for wimminz) and unattractive characters in both senses. Sinnoh's disappointed the crap outta me.
...Oh? Plot-centric battles? Yeah, you could say that in the sense of gyms, but ones like Hunter J and Galactic made me cry in the shower, as I stated several times before. Why is Cynthia threatening Commander Jupiter herself with Garchomp's claws? Pokemon-on-Human violence is so not suited for a kiddies show! I wish I was here at the time, me and Cyber would be partners in crime common sense and justice!

This reminded me of how little I cared about Team Galactic. They were such useless add-ons to the plot that I hardly ever remember them at all. I feel like DP's plot would be relatively unchanged if Team Galactic was taken out.

Hunter J was a very cool idea that was handled in an alright fashion. I kind of want another Hunter to come in who is a total badass, who likes Pokemon but hates humans. Hunter N?

Interrupt

INTERRUPTING COW
I honestly think that yes, Cilan can get annoying but I love his accent and how whenever he meets someone, he's all like, "Hi. I'm a Pokémon Connoisseur." (o_O) WHAT'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN? ARE YOU A POKéATER OR SOMETHING?? GET AWAY FROM MAI CHARMANDER YOU MENACE (D:) And also I think his food puns are supposed to be cheap, lame and obnoxious. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.