• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Diamond and Pearl VS Black and White/Best Wishes

DP VS BW

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tehkintama

I think DP is the better of the two. I can't be sure yet considering one only has around 60 episodes out so far but just comparing what they do have, DP is better for me. When the first episode of BW came out, I was very excited. It was a completely new region and a lot of things had changed like Ash's outfit and the animation style. As the series went on though, I slowly began to get disappointed. While the series was good, Ash pretty much forgot a lot of the lessons he learned while in other regions which didn't happen in DP. I know the company probably did this so that kids who were newer to the series wouldn't feel left out, but for someone like me who watched it since the Indigo League, it was somewhat of a letdown. By episode 50, I felt like I was forcing myself to watch it. For DP though, the only thing I was really frustrated about was probably the dub.

Plot wise I felt DP was better. There was a lot of story like with the Team Galactic arc and the summer academy. With Black and White though. You really only get episodes where they're either traveling or battling. With Dawn in the mix though, we had a nice combination of battles, contests, and the parts where characters where developed. Also, this really can't be used against BW in anyway, but I liked how the movies in DP were linked to one another.

Now for the Rivals. We can pretty much put it as Paul vs Trip and Barry vs Bianca. Most People would probably agree, Paul is a better rival than Trip. Paul is this arrogant jerk who treats his pokemon like they're tools. Completely different from Ash. Trip on the other hand is a starting trainer who is kind of boring and takes pictures. As for Barry and Bianca, I'd have to say they're pretty similar. They're both clowns, but they battle pretty well.

I can't really think about anything else at the moment but based on this, I'd say that DP is a better series.

Anyways, sorry for the long speech and don't flame me too hard.

Squiddly Dee

∈ (⊙ ⊖ ⊙) ∋

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I beg to differ. The DP trio was fine the way it was. Not all characters have to be buddy/buddy with each other. I believe the original trio had the best interactions and it will remain that way. Naturally, it's hard to hold a candle.

Not in Johto, at any rate. But that's for another thread.

As for the DP trio, the only thing that saved it is the way Ash and Dawn supported each other. Otherwise the BW trio actually has chemistry, where each character plays off of one another and they feel like a real traveling group.

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

When it comes to DP,it treated better anime storyline and structure of plots.More effort was put in villains arcs,character stories were more detailed and battles were one of better ones we had in anime.

Here are some of highlights:
-Ash finally got proper rival in form of Paul with their rivalry being played out nicely culminating with great finale and closure
-Team Galactic group of villains was handled in more or less satisfying manner being definitely step up from travesty which Tam Magma and Aqua received.
-Hunter J was possibly one of best villains this show had with writers finally learning how to handle antagonists correctly
-treatment of group pokemon was improved with their personalities coming out on surface more being given more screen time as well some of previous flaws being corrected with writers reducing on number of fillers through various mini arcs like Summer school.tag battle tournament etc
-Dawn had good and realistic story giving viewers insight in her own personal problems and flaws character needed to deal with which allowed for some significant development.She
-gym leaders were more fleshed out as characters being properly introduced giving us insight more in their stories along with 4 getting proper debut not being largely ignored like it used to be case before.

When it comes to Best Wishes,series feel like step down in that aspect,though there are few things which are better handled in this series.Such as:
Chemistry between Ash,Cilan and Iris is pretty good with clashes between Iris and Ash,dissidence between Iris and Cilan about science and mutual respect and admiration prevailing between Cilan and Ash allowing for some great interacting.
Group is feeling like genuine group of friends with colorful dynamic,something which we didnt had since original series.

Team Rocket becoming more competent and actually threatening is definitely one of best refreshing changes we had in years with Jessie and Jams new role being given by Giovanni making them actually competent for a change instead of being treated like punching bags all the time.I definitely didnt expected such twist and im interested to see in what way their mission and story along with Team Plasma will play out.
I also appreciate writers try of changing approach when it comes to Ash pokemon introducing rotation.Noble try,but its such a shame that idea got executed poorly with several Ash pokemon suffering from lack of focus and proper development in process.

At end of the day Sinnoh was generally better saga when it comes to treatment of character stories providing more depth to it along with battling and anime story being on higher quality.

On other hand though,BW is having lighthearted tone to it,Cilan and Iris might not have been treated properly from objective standpoint but they are actually interesting having unique backstory and goals(which matters to me),main cast is feeling like good group of friends giving me laughs sand at least writers are trying to implement some things for first time.

So in terms of comedy and overall enjoyment i have to go with Best Wishes being more intriguing to me than DP was.

Not in Johto, at any rate. But that's for another thread.

Debatable.I dont know about you but Ash,Misty and Brock still actually felt like close group of friends providing good interaction actually having things in common defining them,something which can hardly be said about DP group.

Now some could get wrong impression how that wasnt the case due to neglect and lack of focus for some characters,but looking back at Johto when group received spotlight doing something together they had chemistry.Even their departing episodes are almost incomparable with "Gotta Catch Ya Later"emphasizing on fact of first group having strong bond as friends.

tehkintama

no homour at all, the episodes were just so booring, black and white is surperior in everyway although black and white seems more like a cartoon and less like an anime to me

Alright, You have absolutely no idea how stupid you sound with this post. You pretty much just said that any anime or show without humor sucks. Also, I don't exactly recall BW having humor either. Sure, it was definitely more cheery and bright that DP but I don't exactly ever recall loling or roflmao ever watching BW.

Also, you do realize that you're asking for humor from not only a children's show, but also from a show where the outline of the story is to capture and train monsters to fight one another? Yeah, that's right. You're asking for decent humor from a fighting show meant for children. I mean, sure, there are those moments where they manage to make you smile, but considering this show is for kids, they can't really go deep with the laughs. It's not too bad in Japanese, but once it gets dubbed by Cartoon Network or whoever dubs it these days, you end up with some really lame jokes, horrible puns, and a mountain of cheesy lines.

Anyways, enough ranting. If you want humor, there's plenty of animes out there where humor is the main selling point.

Best Wishes, durr focking hurr. Everyone who voted Sinnoh are obvious Dawn fans, and everyone knows that Dawn's only appealing characteristic is her okay arse.

Good lord, guys. I hope you won't still be acting this way once delicious N appears. You can't resist delicious N.

You do realize the same can be said for Unova and Bianca? I'd thinks so looking at your avatar.
Also, considering Dawn was a main character, her only appeal was not her physical appearance and you would know that if you even considered watching an episode of DP.

Last edited:

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
lol a newbie calling me stupid! :eek:, all shows have to have a little comedy or it become's dull and every episode of diamond and pearl was soooo booring,

black and white is much more cheery more funny and has better characters, also dawn sucked

Mikuri

Sorry for my English
all shows have to have a little comedy or it become's dull and every episode of diamond and pearl was soooo booring,

black and white is much more cheery more funny and has better characters, also dawn sucked

You really watched DP? The humor was present. Piplup made me laugh throughout the series, and we still had Jessie in Contests and other funny episodes.
DP had humor, but make us laugh was not the focus of the series, unlike BW, which ruined an entire competition (Don Battle) by making Bianca chase Zorua rather than provide a good battle.

DP is much better, IMO.
Dawn's journey was very realistic; she had the best character development of all time.
Ash did not act like a complete idiot; he was more mature and had a great rival.
Team Galactic and Hunter J gave us great episodes.
The Contests and Gym battles were great; DP had the best Grand Festival and the best League.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
You do realize the same can be said for Unova and Bianca? I'd thinks so looking at your avatar.
Also, considering Dawn was a main character, her only appeal was not her physical appearance and you would know that if you even considered watching an episode of DP.

Bianca doesn't have dramatic crying scenes, nor does she have a rival with the personality of Ryvita and cottage cheese.

I watched every focking episode of DP with the same optimism that I hold today, yet at every corner I was disappointed. Are you telling me that nobody, NOBODY can watch through the entirety of Sinnoh and not have a positive opinion of Dawn? Are you saying that she does have only one appeal, despite appearing to defend her?

tehkintama

lol a newbie calling me stupid! , all shows have to have a little comedy or it become's dull and every episode of diamond and pearl was soooo booring,

Wow. Alright, first off, what point are you trying to prove by calling someone a newbie? Second, if you actually bothered looking at the dates of which we joined, you would see that I only joined half a year after you did. Also, not all shows have to have comedy. There are other things they can really on such as action, suspense, and horror. If they put humor into something like Death Note or Saw had humor, they'd pretty much be ruined. However, people still watch them though and they're are incredibly high rated. What your doing is like comparing a more plot based show to a more humorous and then saying that the one that's funnier wins.

Bianca doesn't have dramatic crying scenes, nor does she have a rival with the personality of Ryvita and cottage cheese.

I watched every focking episode of DP with the same optimism that I hold today, yet at every corner I was disappointed. Are you telling me that nobody, NOBODY can watch through the entirety of Sinnoh and not have a positive opinion of Dawn? Are you saying that she does have only one appeal, despite appearing to defend her?

Those "dramatic crying scenes" are what give Dawn so much personality. Also, considering how many rivals Dawn has, the only one I'd really consider not that interesting is Kenny.

As for having a positive opinion of Dawn by then Sinnoh, no, I'm not saying everyone should have one. I said that if you actually bothered paying attention when you watched Sinnoh, you would clearly see that Dawn's only appeal is not just her physical appearance as you stated.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Alright, You have absolutely no idea how stupid you sound with this post. You pretty much just said that any anime or show without humor sucks. Also, I don't exactly recall BW having humor either. Sure, it was definitely more cheery and bright that DP but I don't exactly ever recall loling or roflmao ever watching BW.

O-O; I like BW for the humor...

Dento: *deepens voice* You know what this means on this perfectly, fine, bright day? NO LUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, that moment was epic. XDDD

Anyways, enough ranting. If you want humor, there's plenty of animes out there where humor is the main selling point.

Many other shows too, but many people like Pokemon to have some humor as well. :)

Elice just wants her delicious N. :p Can I say all the people who picked BW are Dento-fangirls like myself? He does have a nice body and a silky voice.

I've watched all of DP she seemed to be Ms. Fanservice. :p

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Wow. Alright, first off, what point are you trying to prove by calling someone a newbie? Second, if you actually bothered looking at the dates of which we joined, you would see that I only joined half a year after you did. Also, not all shows have to have comedy. There are other things they can really on such as action, suspense, and horror. If they put humor into something like Death Note or Saw had humor, they'd pretty much be ruined. However, people still watch them though and they're are incredibly high rated. What your doing is like comparing a more plot based show to a more humorous and then saying that the one that's funnier win
Those "dramatic crying scenes" are what give Dawn so much personality. Also, considering how many rivals Dawn has, the only one I'd really consider not that interesting is Kenny.

As for having a positive opinion of Dawn by then Sinnoh, no, I'm not saying everyone should have one. I said that if you actually bothered paying attention when you watched Sinnoh, you would clearly see that Dawn's only appeal is not just her physical appearance as you stated.

Most of Dawn's rivals were pretty dull and barely appeared though. Ursula was the only interesting one but she came too late. Zoey was a borderline Mary Sue who could never be proven wrong, Nando didn't have a rivalry with Dawn and barely appeared, and Kenny was just a bad character altogether.

If they had focused on Ursula more it might have been more interesting.

RickHoenn

Banned
What's so bad about BW? I mean it's not that great, but it's better than like Kanto and Johto. Hoenn is debatable too.

It's NOT better than Kanto and Hoenn. Not at all.

Dax

Legend
So far, judging by how it's going, I take it over Kanto and Johto any day. I still like Hoenn and DP more.

Actually, Hoenn Ash is probably my favorite one because he was balanced; skilled but entertaining. DP Ash was skilled but bland and BW Ash is an idiot but entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.