• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Diamond and Pearl VS Black and White/Best Wishes

DP VS BW

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I am enjoying BW more then DP and this is why:

*DP was just WAY too long, it just ran on and on and on till it just got boring.
*Group dynamic was not there and Brock was totally forgotten about.
*Infernape was WAY too focused on, there was no reason for him to be in every gym after his capture.
*The end if the saga was shafted, meaning a lot of important events were just rushed( pokemon league).
*Piplup was unbearable(in the dub).
*TR was impossible to watch(I seriously skipped all their parts)
*Some pokemon got like no development(Buneary, and Croagunk).
*Ambipom's release(really writers?? Ping Pong??).
*Buizel not evolving :(.
*If you weren't Paul or Zoey, you were a shafted rival.

There is probably more but that's all I remember for right now. BW just feels new, and is a lot of fun to watch.

Dax

Legend
You have my condolences. Perhaps you should have stopped watching the anime when Misty left, and leave the enjoyment of the anime to people who prefer good writing.

Hoenn had good writing? Not even DP had good writing. Heck, this show has never had good writing.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Hoenn had good writing? Not even DP had good writing. Heck, this show has never had good writing.

For the pokemon anime, it counts as "good" writing, I am obviously not comparing it to other shows/anime/cartoons.

Personally I also enjoyed Kanto despite the poor handling of the Pokemon and lackluster Gyms. The humor made up for it.

Best Wishes is a mixed bag for me. I want to really like it but some parts of it just aren't that engaging. I feel like the writers tried to bring back the old humor and adventure feel that DP lacked, but at the same time lost DP's sense of plot and development.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
BW is the WORST series ever made.

really then why is it getting better ratings!!!

DAMN!!

plus ash was stale in dp now he is much more enjoyable and i have watched every episode of dp, but cmon! the episodes were just so booring' bw is soo refreshing and much more enjoyable imo

joseleandro

I like the black and white pokemon that pokemon diamond and pearl. in pokemon black and white because there are more Pokemon and strong and also for because of the dream-world. when compared to the graphics and music prefer the pokemon diamond and pearl. but for me the pokemon with better graphics and music and soul silver and heart of gold.

RickHoenn

Banned
I personally think it's better than Hoenn, but not better than Kanto.

Wow you didn't like Hoenn? I liked Johto however Hoenn felt like a breath of fresh air for the anime, at least the first time I watched on CN. Maybe you're not too fond of May? :p

pokemon fan 132

Speaking of rivalries,its another thing where DP wins currently in my opinion.Paul was best rival Ash had and it was nice for a change to have someone who has different training style using his own methods and what i really liked about his character was that Paul wasnt your typical "goody too shoo"having unique personality.

Rivalry between him and Ash was well played out and substantial culminating with big confrontation in Sinnoh league being on of saga moments.

Dawn rivals were so so having good and bad sides.Ursula was unique rival and her enviousness added that twist in plot no one expected.On bad side she was introduced too late not being used to full potential,which was downright shame because she was on of most intriguing rivals pokemon ever had.

Some people may have found Zoey bland,but i beg to differ.Her tomboyish and arrogant persona in start gave life to rivalry she had with Dawn eventually becoming her mentor partially which guided her during whole quest giving tips and constructive criticism.This left good mark on Dawn character because thanks to Zoey arrogance and higher skill she had someone wanting to catch up with,serving as push and motivation to go forward paying o in nd winning second place in GF.

Kenny had something going on for him and shared past with Dawn already knowing her,and i liked chemistry they had.However his rare appearances and lack of development took its toll not influencing Dawn contest quest as much as he could have been.Nando was rather pointless barely appearing,having any meaningful interaction with Ash and group being fairly forgettable.

When it comes to BW and rivalries Bianca seemed promising liking her ditzy and eccentric personality having tendency to often rush in things without thinking and im grateful Ash finally received female rival.However her lack of development and constant loses are starting to be alarming and if this tempo continues she might end up as nothing more than joke rival which would be a real shame because she has potential to actually become competent and decent opponent to Ash.
I guess we will see Casey scenario again(why im not surprised?).

Langley is good rival liking her clashes with Iris and arguing,but as of lately there havent been much going on with their relationship and competition being left on standstill.Same for Cilan and Cabernet,they started out well with Cabernrt seeming insecure being in inferior position(doesnt happen very often with things usually being other way around when it comes to rivals)playing role of trying to catch up with Cilan skill when it comes to description of usage of attacks and determine of compatibility between trainers and their pokemon.However lack of substance and any real progression toward Cilan career reflected negatively on rivalry with there not being any build up ever since Don tournament.

Trip seems too one dimensional for my taste not having much of appeal being rather step down from Paul.His battling skills are rather sub par,he isnt fleshed out as character to justify his level of strength and his paranoid fear from anyone coming from kanto with no explanation or justification being present behind it isnt helping his case either making him xenophobe.

You have my condolences. Perhaps you should have stopped watching the anime when Misty left, and leave the enjoyment of the anime to people who prefer good writing.

Depends for who.Good writing is often subjective with people having different criteria through which they determine if something is well written or not.Original series were to me more interesting and fun than Hoenn was having better dynamic,comedy and more unique arcs.

Hoenn was good,not great just good imo fulfilling from technical point parameters which determine if episodes are well written or not,but it was full of flaws being by no means best saga pokemon had.Far from that.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Isn't it just amazing that Best Wishes almost stands toe to toe with DP, despite only being 60 or so episodes in and DP being a finished 191 episode saga?

Vernikova

Champion
What's so bad about BW? I mean it's not that great, but it's better than like Kanto and Johto. Hoenn is debatable too.

It doesn't take very much to be better than Kanto and Johto.

DAMN!!

Better ratings than what? It gets mediocre ratings which is about as good as DP did.

Squiddly Dee

∈ (⊙ ⊖ ⊙) ∋
I like the black and white pokemon that pokemon diamond and pearl. in pokemon black and white because there are more Pokemon and strong and also for because of the dream-world. when compared to the graphics and music prefer the pokemon diamond and pearl. but for me the pokemon with better graphics and music and soul silver and heart of gold.

You do know that this is a discussion about the anime, right...?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

DAMN!!

plus ash was stale in dp now he is much more enjoyable and i have watched every episode of dp, but cmon! the episodes were just so booring' bw is soo refreshing and much more enjoyable imo

That is a weak argument. Better ratings is good for the company and for the network but it's not an indication of the quality of the series. Numbers don't hide the flaws of it.

I agree with Dax's post. Um can you explain how watching a character who has been regressed to an idiot again is entertaining? It's more like sad to me. BW has been a disappointment imo so far and that's part of the reason why.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I like Best Wishes better, Ash actually uses more than six pokemon.

tehkintama

I agree with Dax's post. Um can you explain how watching a character who has been regressed to an idiot again is entertaining? It's more like sad to me. BW has been a disappointment imo so far and that's part of the reason why.

Thank you so much for saying what I wanted to say. I was really disappointed watching Ash lose in battles due to mistakes he'd made before and learn from. It was like someone wiped his experience. It really stung watching Pikachu lose to Trip's Snivy. Even with just quick attack and iron tail, I feel like the Ash from DP could have found a way to win in that situation.

pokeaussie37

Thank you so much for saying what I wanted to say. I was really disappointed watching Ash lose in battles due to mistakes he'd made before and learn from. It was like someone wiped his experience. It really stung watching Pikachu lose to Trip's Snivy. Even with just quick attack and iron tail, I feel like the Ash from DP could have found a way to win in that situation.

In fairness, this will basically happen every series in some shape or form. One might argue after defeating the Battle Frontier that losing to an Elekid is pretty lame too.

And in Pikachu's defence, it wasn't just a complete loss of the ability to use electric moves, he also suffered a severe loss of strength. It was literally like a crippling disease, a debilitation. One could argue that he still hasn't 'fully' recovered, which imo is at the end of the series when he defeats a legendary. :p And then inevitably is reduced to nothing once again.

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
I personally think the reason why we only got an "official" power reset in BW was because unlike the situation in DP, Ash was fighting against an unexperienced pokemon. We didn't exactly know for how long Paul had Elekid and if Paul was using it in the first place, it was obviously because it was strong, as we're talking about a guy that can release a pokemon right after its capture if it's not strong in his standards.

So, in my opinion, I don't think any of those losses against unevolved pokemon after beating legendaries in the previous saga were stupid.

In DP Ash was fighting against an experienced opponent and in BW we got a decent excuse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.