1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Diamond battle tower team

Discussion in '4th Gen RMT' started by lifesharker, Nov 30, 2008.

  1. lifesharker

    lifesharker Spring-Loaded Fish

    ;006; Charizard @ Focus sash
    Mild
    252 Sp. attack/252 Speed
    Flamethrower
    Air slash
    Sunny day
    Solarbeam

    ;477; Dusknoir @ Leftovers
    Sassy
    4HP/252 Sp.defence/252 Defence
    Will o wisp
    Pain split
    Confuse ray
    Night shade

    ;289; Slaking @ Choice band
    Adamant
    252 Speed/ 252 Defence
    Aerial ace
    Return
    Fire punch
    Earthquake

    I'm not so good with team building, so some help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Current changes in bold
     
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. randomn00b

    randomn00b Arcane Trainer

    1. Don't just slap three pogeys together and call it a team. For example, Dusknoir's Trick Room only benefits him, and hurts Charizard and Slaking (who are rather fast).
    2. I'll post recommended movesets, but I suggest that you start over.

    Charizard@Salac Berry
    Jolly (+Spd, -Sp. Atk)
    Trait: Blaze
    252 Speed, 252 Atk, 6 HP

    ~Substitute
    ~Belly Drum
    ~Fire Punch
    ~Earthquake

    Substitute+Belly Drum gets you down to 1/4th health, triggering Blaze and Salac Berry. Now, you can sweep with your boosted Fire Punch and +6 Atk/+1 Speed.

    Dusknoir@Leftovers
    Careful (+Sp. Def, -Sp. Atk)
    Trait: Pressure
    252 HP, 176 Sp. Def, 80 Def

    ~Will-O-Wisp
    ~Shadow Punch
    ~Pain Split
    ~Ice Punch/Thunder Punch

    Slaking@Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)
    Trait: Truant
    252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP

    ~Return/Giga Impact
    ~Earthquake
    ~Fire Punch
    ~Aerial Ace/Sucker Punch

    The choice between Giga Impact and Return is tricky. While Truant does seem like a perfect match for Slaking, using Giga Impact makes Slaking completely helpness next turn. Your opponent could just send in a Fighting type and Close Combat/Cross Chop you. On the other hand, Return is plenty powerful, has 100 accuracy, and enables you to switch, if needed, on the next turn.
     
  3. azeem40

    azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

    Changes in bold.

    Is this for the Battle Tower or are those just the Pokemon you have thought of so far? If it's the former, you need EVs to have any chance of going far. If it's the latter, think of three other Pokemon to use.
     
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  4. randomn00b

    randomn00b Arcane Trainer

    Earthquake is better than Dragon Claw on Charizard; +5 Atk Stab Blaze Fire Punch still OHKOs things like Gyarados, Salamence, Dragonite, etc. Earthquake, on the other hand, lets it kill things like Heatran and Tyranitar should it show up later in the battle.

    Calm on Dusknoir when it has Physical moves 0_0?
     
  5. azeem40

    azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

    Yeah, I changed it to Earthquake. It was EQ before, but I don't know why I changed it.

    I thought Calm was + SpD, - SpA, sorry.
     
  6. callum5042

    callum5042 Brawl Pro

    Im not very good at battle tower teams my self

    Charizard @ Focus Band
    Mild
    Flamethrower / Heat wave
    Air slash
    Earthquake
    Roost

    Dusknoir @ Leftovers
    Sassy
    Toxic
    Ice Beam
    Confuse ray
    Night shade

    Slaking @ Wise Lens
    Impish/Adamant
    Slack off
    Thunder Bolt
    Yawn
    Aerial Ace

    Change in bold
     
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  7. azeem40

    azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

    Thunderbolt is meh on Slaking because why not take advantage of its monstrous 160 Atk stat? Same with Aerial Ace. Slaking's an all-out offensive Pokemon rather than a Phazing / Supporter. Slack Off is unrealiable as his Ability will prevent him from healing much.
     
  8. SapphireL

    SapphireL Lydia

    Since Slaking is your physical sweeper, Charizard should be your Sp.Sweeper.

    Charizard (Timid Nature) @Choice Specs/Life Orb/Wise Glasses
    -Flamethrower
    -Air Slash/HP Electric
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Focus Blast
     
  9. lifesharker

    lifesharker Spring-Loaded Fish

    Charizard was my special sweeper, hence why I gave him a (admittedly poor special set).

    The trick room thing is a good point, I'll drop that.
     
  10. randomspot555

    randomspot555 Well-Known Member

    Charizard doesn't have the bulk to survive long enough, so Roost is a wasted move slot.

    Focus Band only has a 10% chance at working. In other words, you have a 90% chance of basicaly not holding an item.

    And why is Slaking holding Wide Lens? All of it's moves have 100% accuracy without Brightpowder/double team.

    And as with most BT team posts: If you don't have a firm grasp on basic game mechanics such as EVs, natures, physical vs special moves, etc... then the battle tower is going to chew your team and spit it out. The furthest I've ever seen anyone get without EV training their Pokes is 28, but I think they just got really, really lucky.
     
  11. lifesharker

    lifesharker Spring-Loaded Fish

    If you read my original post, I didn't give Slaking wide lens, or Charizard roost, or focus band.
     
  12. randomspot555

    randomspot555 Well-Known Member

    If you had read my post, you'd know I was responding to another post in the first half. The second half was for both of you.
     
  13. EvilAzn

    EvilAzn Phantom Poster

    The only reason why I put shell bell on slaking is because leftovers is already in use which would be something I would say isnt such a bad idea to tack on over choice band/life orb. Also I would say lead with slaking since he can practically 1ko almost anything that starts off and take a hit while at it. Additionally if you predict a pokemon that will use fake out, switch to dusknoir and then punish it with WoW, etc. Also trick room won't be doing you much good considering you have 2 pokemon of good speeds.
     
  14. lifesharker

    lifesharker Spring-Loaded Fish

    Fair enough.
     
  15. azeem40

    azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

    I suggest you remove Slaking. I'm telling you: BellyZard is awesome.

    Maybe get a Special Sweeper such as Starmie or Togekiss.
     
  16. S.Bustathedog

    S.Bustathedog What's this for? ^

    ^ Azeem is right your best bet is to go with Bellyzard.

    for his special sweepers you will want Togekiss and a parfilinch set

    ~Air slash
    ~T-Wave
    ~Aura sphere/Shadow ball
    ~Nasty plot
     
  17. azeem40

    azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

    In the BT, Truant is the worst Ability to have as you could get KOed on the "It's Loafing Around." turn. Besides, the BT doesn't know how to outpredict something.
     
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  18. randomspot555

    randomspot555 Well-Known Member

    The problem with Bellyzard is all the set up it requires. It pretty much requires not to get hit while it sets up Belly Drum and Sub, which has a 99.9% chance of not happening in the Battle Tower. A much more reliable sweep would be Choice Band/Scarf Garchomp, or (as you correctly point out
    ) any number of Starmie sets.
     
  19. azeem40

    azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

    It's a good set, nonetheless. You can't base using a set on the .01 chance it won't work; that's stupid. Most Pokemon won't be faster than you anyways.
     
  20. Indignation12123

    Indignation12123 Conqueror

    However, the sheer power of a Bellyzard set usually outweighs the risks that arrive with it.
     

Share This Page