• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Diamond Team, On the way to Victory Road

Twilight Gallade

The Gallade of Night
Okay, recently I picked up a Diamond version so I could play through the game again without restarting my Pearl version (too many good Pokemon, some irreplaceable), and now I'm at Victory Road and have this team. I know that the Natures of them might not suit them, and I didn't do any EV training (saving that for Pearl), but I'd just like to see how it could fare against Victory Road, as well as the coming Elite Four and Champion. So...here's my in-game Diamond Team.

Again, keep in mind that I wasn't going for proper natures, but I'll post the natures they have anyways.

Roserade (Bold) @Big Root
Trait: Natural Cure

-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Grasswhistle
-Shadow Ball

I wasn't sure what to put in my Roserade's 4th slot, but it's basically now a Special Sweeper, with the addition of Grasswhistle for a first-turn sleep (though I know a Wide Lens would help some). The Big Root is just there for extra healing purposes with Giga Drain. Sludge Bomb is standard, and as I said, I wasn't sure about the 4th slot, so I stuck in Shadow Ball to help diversify her.

Gastrodon (Jolly) @Quick Claw
Trait: Sticky Hold (useless, I know)

-Mud Bomb
-Body Slam
-Ice Beam
-Surf

I will admit this Gastrodon saved my skin against Volkner. I don't want to waste my Earthquake TM on it, so I thought Mud Bomb is still a decent choice. I plan on possibly removing one move (maybe Body Slam) for Recover later on. Surf...well, that's standard. Ice Beam is for later on against Cynthia's Garchomp. Hopefully I want to get it so Gastrodon will take a hit from it and then retaliate with Ice Beam for a (hopeful) OHKO.

Staraptor (Impish) @(usually) Sitrus Berry
Trait: Intimidate

-Close Combat
-Aerial Ace
-Steel Wing
-Double Team

Okay, I know Double Team is forbidden from Competitive Play, but it's still all too much fun in-game (unless there's an opponent with a Swift variant). Close Combat handles Steel and Rock, whilst Steel Wing covers Ice. Aerial Ace...well, sure-hit, pretty potent, and STAB. Better than Fly, I say.

Infernape (Naive) @Flame Plate
Trait: Blaze

-Close Combat
-Flame Wheel
-Rock Tomb
-Strength

Okay, I want to replace Strength obviously (though it still has proven useful at times), but I really have little idea what with. Rock Tomb is there for flyers, and Close Combat and Flame Wheel are there for obvious reasons. Quick FYI, I got my Flame Plate in the Underground, as I know that the one on the map isn't found until Stark Mountain, after the Elite 4.

Luxray (Jolly) @Shell Bell

-Thunder Fang
-Charge
-Crunch
-Protect

Say what you will, but Charge has saved my skin a few times (and the added Special Defense boost helped some too), as I've taken out opponents at least 5 levels higher with one Charged Thunder Fang alone. Crunch is best for Ghosts and Psychics, and I gave him Protect for a reason: So that in double battles, I can protect him from incoming Earthquakes, be they mine or my opponent's. I love sending this guy out with Staraptor...double intimidation is sooo much fun sometimes.

Gabite (Careful) @Draco Plate
Trait: Sand Veil

-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Slash
-?????

This is one I had been training up some since I had access to Gible on the game. She's mainly gonna be there as backup against Cynthia, but still a good fighter nonetheless. Dragon Claw and Earthquake are standard, and I just gave it Slash for kicks (for now), but I'm unsure what else to teach it (it's currently my Rock Climber). I plan on letting it learn Dragon Rush before it evolves, though, but I'm usure as to whether to keep Dragon Claw, or go for Dragon Rush...

So, there you have it...my team that I've had pretty much since I began my Diamond Adventure. I don't plan on using Dialga for this run (not that I hate Dialga mind you) just to see if I can get by the game without using legends. Any help would be nice on how I can adjust the team so it fits for Victory Road and the Elite 4 and Champ. Also, please note that all these Pokemon are at lvl. 44, so keep that in mind for level-up moves.

Thank you very much for any help!

Master Leo

The Dark Side
I got gible as son as I could too. I would evolve it though.

Twilight Gallade

The Gallade of Night
I got gible as son as I could too. I would evolve it though.

True, but if I delayed his evolution to Garchomp for one level, it'd learn Dragon Rush much sooner. Still, it's a rare case for me to hold off evolving.

Twilight Gallade

The Gallade of Night
what lv. is it on? good pokes to me.

Well, as I stated, all of this team is at lvl. 44, and Gabite evolves at 48, although it learns Dragon Rush at 49, whereas Garchomp learns it 6 levels later at 55. I'm still curious though as to what I should give Gabite as it's 4th move...

Master Leo

The Dark Side
My Garchomp, lv.97, knows Poison Jab,Iron Tail(never use it),Dragon Claw,and Brick Break. I did teach him dragon rush but the accurary was low so I took it away and taught it to my dragonite.

WhyteMage

Roserade (Bold) @Big Root
Trait: Natural Cure

-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Grasswhistle
-Shadow Ball

This guy should do well. The only thing I'll suggest is to use energy ball and go with a wide lens. Giga drain isn't that great, even with STAB.

Gastrodon (Jolly) @Quick Claw
Trait: Sticky Hold (useless, I know)

-Earthquake
-Body Slam
-Ice Beam
-Surf

Here's a tip. After the E4, you can get all the earthquake TM's you want, whether it be form the battle tower or Emerald's cloning glitch. Use it. Other than that, should be good.

Staraptor (Impish) @(usually) Sitrus Berry

-Close Combat
-Aerial Ace
-Brave Bird
-Double Team

Close Combat takes out everything Steel Wing would. Level him up for Brave Bird and use that instead. Its sheer power coming from Staraptor leaves few things unhurt.

Infernape (Naive) @Flame Plate

-Close Combat
-Flame Wheel
-Rock Tomb
-Flare Blitz

Flame plate is ok for ingame, just don't try to battle anyone using it. You should level up for Flare Blitz, and it's just as deadly as Brave Bird, if not worse.

Gabite (Careful) @Draco Plate
Trait: Sand Veil

-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Slash (Swords Dance)
-Fire Fang

Evolve him and chuck Fire Fang on there using the move tutor. You can use swords dance too, if you're in to that sort of thing.

I didn't rate your Luxray because, for ingame, it's probably as good as you're going to get, unless you use Discharge or Thunderbolt.

Twilight Gallade

The Gallade of Night
Thanks, WhyteMage, I'll keep your thoughts in mind.

Though I am unaware of Emerald's TM cloning glitch...might have to look into that. If anything, after I get the National dex, I can transfer my lvl 100 Linoone and hopefully have him pick up Earthquake TM's.

sippy_juice

Anvils are awesome
Roserade (Modest)
-Energy Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Grasswhistle
-Shadow Ball
Pretty Good. Unfortunately you can't get energy Ball until after the Elite Four I believe so Giga Drain's fine for now.

Gastrodon (Relaxed)
-Earthquake
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Surf
Like it was said above you can get Earthquake at the Battle Tower. It comes in handy.

Staraptor (Adamant)

-Close Combat
-Brave Bird
-Return
-Double Team/ U-turn
This is a pretty standard. If you don't like Brave Bird's recoil then you can keep Aerial Ace, but there's no need for both. Return gives you another STAB attack and at Max happiness it's pretty powerful. Close Combat covers Ice pokemon as well so there's no need for steel wing.

Infernape (Naive)

-Close Combat
-Flamethrower
-Grass Knot
-Nasty Plot
Your Infernape is the perfect nature for mixape so that why I gave this set. Grass knot takes out heavy water and ground types. And with flamethrower you don't have to worry about Flare Blitz's massive recoil damage. It also gives more of a balance between your physical and special fighters.

Luxray (Jolly/ Adamant)
-Thunder Fang/Spark
-Return/Fire Fang
-Crunch
-Ice Fang
Standard Luxray although yours works as well if you don't want to rebreed. Thunder Fang or Spark is just a matter of preference.

Gabite (Adamant/Jolly)
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance
-Fire Fang
Pretty Standard. It can beat a lot of stuff.

Last edited:

Twilight Gallade

The Gallade of Night
I never thought my Infernape had the perfect nature for a mixed fighter...lucky me! Perhaps I should try the mix-n-match with him...

And after looking again, you're right on how I can't get an Energy Ball TM until after the E4, so yeah, maybe Giga Drain will do for now.

Main thing I gotta do is level up, though. I dunno if I'd even beat the E4 in the upper 40's...