• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did any one like it better when the series wasn’t so obsessed with the first series?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
When was the series NOT obsessed with the first series?
Well XY was pretty self contained and surprisingly enough DP had enough self restraint to not have a single important Charizard in it so that's something at least.....buuuut yeah the anime and especially the games have had a lot of gen 1 pandering, and even moreso when it comes to Charizard

BlueDragonfangirl

When was the series NOT obsessed with the first series?
AG/Sun and Moon/XY and I felt DP had the perfect between mix old and new.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
AG/Sun and Moon/XY and I felt DP had the perfect between mix old and new.
Well AG did have its final season set in Kanto and its final battle was the Kanto starters vs Brandon, so that'd still count even if it was more organic than the kanto pandering in the newer games

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Mario reuses 1-1, Kirby reuses Green Greens, Fire Emblem reuses Marth, Sonic reuses and rereuses Green Hill Zone, Pokemon reuses Kanto.
to be fair 1-1 and Green Greens' reusing are relatively sparing (heck when was Green Greens last used?)

BlueDragonfangirl

Well AG did have its final season set in Kanto and its final battle was the Kanto starters vs Brandon, so that'd still count even if it was more organic than the kanto pandering in the newer games
AG also allowed Ash to have a female co lead for the first time May and introduced contests and gave Ash new ways to use his old Pokémon while using new one’s.

I felt AG and DP did it right than it was going over board later on.

I prefer the more new exciting ways of the series, feels not the best way to conclude Ash’s thing.

Morax

King of heroes
Mario reuses 1-1, Kirby reuses Green Greens, Fire Emblem reuses Marth, Sonic reuses and rereuses Green Hill Zone, Pokemon reuses Kanto.
Green hills is just a location. KANTOOOOOOOOOO pandering is much more than the trees and grass

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
AG also allowed Ash to have a female co lead for the first time May and introduced contests and gave Ash new ways to use his old Pokémon while using new one’s.

I felt AG and DP did it right than it was going over board later on.

I prefer the more new exciting ways of the series, feels not the best way to conclude Ash’s thing.
Isn't May not considered a co-lead?

diakyu

Oh my God Ash's time is ending in the anime it's fine if they focus on Kanto and his companions from there for a moment during the run of these eps considering he freaking lives there and it's where he first had his adventures. Some of you prolly rolled your eyes when the first OP played in the finale of vs Leon and you should be ashamed/s

Sceptile, Donphan, Buizel, and Noivern in the first ep of the special reading this thread like: 0_0'

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I mean when have they gone overboard though? The SM pandering of Kanto isn't pandering, it's celebrating the 20th anniversary of course they are gonna do something you guys!!

Similarly in JN we didn't get the Kanto trio UNTIL the end, which we obviously will. Why wouldn't we go full circle for the literal END??

Saying charizard exposure is equivalent to focusing on OS is wrong. That's just coz of it's popularity as a species
The anime has never exclusively focused and hyper fixated on the OS like y'all are making it sound. Every time it's been there for a reason

BlueDragonfangirl

I mean when have they gone overboard though? The SM pandering of Kanto isn't pandering, it's celebrating the 20th anniversary of course they are gonna do something you guys!!

Similarly in JN we didn't get the Kanto trio UNTIL the end, which we obviously will. Why wouldn't we go full circle for the literal END??

Saying charizard exposure is equivalent to focusing on OS is wrong. That's just coz of it's popularity as a species
The anime has never exclusively focused and hyper fixated on the OS like y'all are making it sound. Every time it's been there for a reason
The ironic part about that is every one was allowed to use their Charizard except Ash.
Isn't May not considered a co-lead?
It was really weird, it was like they we’re trying to do a test with contests and in my opinion moving into the right direction with girls characters from May to a girl like Dawn who was pushed even more than her.

I felt May was leading the way for the new girls, not sure what happened later once we reached Iris they dropped contests as active goal but at least she had those weird fighting tournaments so she could shine than that dropped than we had last but not least Chloe who didn’t even travel with the boys. What happened? Dawn I thought was the most popular at that point along with Pearlshipping.

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer

This. It feels like people with a persecution complex.

Journeys was stock-full of DP, XY, SM and even BW pandering. Dawn was heavily featured, as were many XY cast members (Clemont and Bonnie, Korrina, Alain, Greninja, etc). There wasn't a single memorable OS cotd/reoccuring character (outside of Gary) or whatever else people have been asking for. They couldn't even be bothered to have the actual Lt. Surge in an episode, and that was a pretty iconic episode.

Having Brock and Misty return to the main cast is pandering? It's the FINAL 11 episodes. And for a more comedic Journeys-type mini-series, they are a great fit.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
If BW is anything to go by, even GameFreak aren't fond of Kanto pandering; it's just something that they feel obligated to do after how poorly Gen 5 did, and all the criticism those games got for focusing on 'only new Pokémon'.
I'm convinced BW's relatively low sales broke Masuda. It was basically his passion project