• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did anyone else here see that injury that Richard Zednik suffered?

PokemonHero

I can see the future
This happened at a hockey game if you didn't know. The guy gets accidentally nailed in his neck by his teammate's skate. It sliced his carotid artery in his neck, just short of the jugular vein. He lost 5 units of blood (not quite a half-gallon). He was recently upgraded to good condition at the hospital he's at. I just wondered what your thoughts are.

Last edited:

Rave

Banned
I would know if I knew what the hell happened.

BCVM22

I just wondered what your thoughts are.

You did a poor job of starting this thread without providing people who don't watch SportsCenter or the evening news a link. For the uninitiated. here is an official link from today (about 3 days after it happened) explaining what happened and his current condition.

Florida Panthers left wing Richard Zednik was on the ice during the Panthers' game at Buffalo Sunday night. He was near one of his teammates when the teammate pitched forward. Zednik was, unfortunately, near enough to his teammate that when his teammate fell forward and his legs kicked up behind him, his skate - yes, his sharpened, stainless steel ice skate - caught Zednik's neck, nearly severing his carotid artery completely.

Losing blood at a positively frightening rate (that tends to happen when you get cut across the neck by a piece of sharpened steel), Zednik was able to make it to the bench where a team trainer applied pressure to the wound and Zednik was rushed to the hospital. He underwent life-saving surgery on his near-severed artery and shortly afterwards was announced to be in stable condition. He's since been upgraded to good condition and removed from intensive care, and he's expected to recover fully and return to the ice at some point.

My thoughts? In a sport where every participant slides across the ice on two frequently-sharpened steel blades, a sport that is easily second only to football in its physicality, it's a wonder and a miracle that injuries like this don't happen more often.

Last edited:

PokemonHero

I can see the future
Sorry about not providing a link. I just forgot that. I'm too used to having talked on sports fourms. My bad. I might have tried to find the video, but my computer is slow as crap.

Profesco

gone gently
I did see that! Man, the way nothing happened for about three seconds, then blood came positively fountaining out of his neck- that was a sight to remember.

BCVM22's right: this dangerous sport should be in the news more often for this kind of thing.

OJG

r u not entertained
a sport that is easily second only to football in its physicality, it's a wonder and a miracle that injuries like this don't happen more often.

In American sports obviously. Rugby is just as physical.

Anyway, i've seen the video and the guy was hellah unlucky. Get well soon dude, even though i've never even heard of you :/

Geez o_O Lucky guy, must have hurt like hell lol

BCVM22

Geez o_O Lucky guy, must have hurt like hell lol

Yes, I would imagine that having your carotid artery very nearly severed does in fact "hurt like hell." I do not imagine there were any instances of "lol" during the process, nor do I quite understand how that is one's response upon hearing/seeing such a thing.

Last edited:

Lord Scalgon

What title?
Last time something like this happened was 19 years ago. I can't exactly remember where, but Jason Smith (anchor of All Night on ESPN radio) was mentioning about this. But anyway, it's freaky...that could have resulted in death right there. It's just like slitting a knife onto someone's throat, but in this scheme, it was on the right side of the throat.

Last edited:

GreyGoose

Banned
Yes, I would imagine that having your carotid artery very nearly severed does in fact "hurt like hell." I do not imagine there were any instances of "lol" during the process, nor do I quite understand how that is one's response upon hearing/seeing such a thing.

Shut up.........

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Ouch, that must have been painful. The carotid artery is one of the major arteries, so I'm surprised that he didn't lose a lot more blood; he was definitely lucky, as he could have lost his life.

Cain

RAWR
Wow, I saw it happen as well... Thought for sure he was going to just pass out on the ice, the way the blood was squirting out of his neck, God it was nasty. Anyway, he's really, really lucky that the blade didn't go any deeper. Last thing anyone needs is a severed carteroid.

BCVM22

Read your post, if you don't understand why, then that's just to bad.

...what, too many multisyllabic words for you? If you find my writing to be too difficult to comprehend, then I suggest you augment your lexicon and additional linguistic ability with great vehemence and make significant haste in doing so.

GreyGoose

Banned
...what, too many multisyllabic words for you? If you find my writing to be too difficult to comprehend, then I suggest you augment your lexicon and additional linguistic ability with great vehemence and make significant haste in doing so.

No, it was just a stupid post.

Calling somone out for the MISSUSE OF LOL.

BCVM22

Calling somone out for the MISSUSE OF LOL.

Oh, that's your beef. Meh.

It wasn't misuse, it was... I dunno, inappropriate use? I mean, if you're reading about/watching footage of a guy whose carotid artery had an impromptu engagement with a sharpened steel blade and was, literally, a centimeter or two and/or a few minutes away from dying from the blood hemorrhaging from the wound like some sort of morbid crimson fountain, is your first reaction to "laugh out loud?" I hope not.