• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did George W. Bush do anything right?

BigLutz

Banned
I certainly didn't enjoy his presidency, and I would have definitely voted for Gore and Kerry(or technically, Gore again) but there's nothing we can do now.

See I would think everybody would be grateful that Gore didn't get elected. I mean take several of the complaints about Bush in this thread, Katrina, Iraq, lack of attention on Afghanistan, didn't catch Bin Laden. All of those would have happened under Gore. Just things would have been worse, Gore most likely would have in some way continued the failed Clinton and now Obama belief that terrorism should be treated as a police matter. Gore most likely wouldn't have gone all the way with Gitmo and waterboarding, meaning we would have a building missing in LA, and a couple thousand more Americans dead.

And worst of all, Gore would have enacted drastic and psychotic Global Warming action, meaning we would be much worse off in terms of both the Energy Crisis from last year, and the Recession.

Kerry was just a Goob :p

Kingsnoke

Bibliomaniac
Bush can't even speak English correct, and you expect him to be a good president?

BigLutz

Banned
Bush can't even speak English correct, and you expect him to be a good president?

Speaking correctly, or in Bush's case possible dyslexia, has no effect on being a good or bad President. Policy and actions determine that.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
While that's true, you can't help but feel safer in the hands of someone who speaks the language properly. It's just a communication thing - he is meant to lead your country, you'd want someone a little more...charismatic?

BigLutz

Banned
While that's true, you can't help but feel safer in the hands of someone who speaks the language properly. It's just a communication thing - he is meant to lead your country, you'd want someone a little more...charismatic?

Well thats true, but Bush wasn't THAT bad of a speaker, he had trouble with similar words, which is why people wonder if he was dyslexic, and why I wonder since I have a dyslexic brother. That being said I would rather have some one that had some problems speaking but make pretty good decisions on policy, than some one that is a great speaker, but make stupid decisions on policy.

From what many people have told me, the media would have gone at at the president because of many of these big issues- terrorism, Katrina, etc.- regardless of who had been elected. Katrina was what you would call an act of God, so no human can really be blamed for it (hence the word natural in "natural disaster"). The main reason they have been Bush bashing for all this time is because of the way he responded to these things. I haven't heard many bad things about many of his policies except the ones enacted in response to recent troubles. However, I have not heard anything good about them except the ones already listed in this particular thread, either. My political views are really conveluted from having a Republican dad and Democrat mom.

BigLutz

Banned
From what many people have told me, the media would have gone at at the president because of many of these big issues- terrorism, Katrina, etc.- regardless of who had been elected.

I believe Obama is proving you wrong as we speak.

Katrina was what you would call an act of God, so no human can really be blamed for it (hence the word natural in "natural disaster").

That is partially true, Katrina was a act of God, but it was the local Government in New Orleans that decided to take the money that would have reinforced the levees, and put it to a new football stadium, thus causing the wide spread damage we saw. It was the state Government that decided not to use hundreds of school busses to ship the thousands of people that stayed in said football stadium which became a toxic wasteland.

Katrina itself didn't do so much damage to New Orleans, it didn't even hit the city straight on. It was the levees breaking, and the gangs shooting at the rescuerers that caused so much trouble. But idiots like to blame Bush for the result, when in reality there are people who truly deserve the blame.

The main reason they have been Bush bashing for all this time is because of the way he responded to these things.

Which shows a lack of knowledge on their part.

Orihime

OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!
Despite what people say, Bush wasn't an inept moron. He's made LOTS of mistakes, mind you, but a lot of people probably would have done the same things he did if they were in his postition. He did the best he possibly could, and while he's FAAAAAAAR from being my favorite presidents, considering what he had to deal with, he did fairly good. I dislike a lot of his decisions such as the gay marriage thing, but that's in the past. Despite the fact that I'm generally a democrat, I'd have to say that in the face of certain crisis (plural?), he most likely did better than Gore or Kerry would have done. They were nuts.

ccangelopearl1362

Hot Air: Ed Morrissey: Goodbye, Mr. Bush
YouTube: Right Brothers: Bush Was Right

Ed Morrissey may have caught in words the basic essence of George W. Bush’s overall impact on political events in the United States and around the world, if the Right Brothers also did so through song -- a rather danceable and cheerful one, I think. While Bush decreased taxes in order to generate greater revenue for America, he also tackled health care, especially Social Security. However, as I’ve come to expect whenever I hear the name George Walker Bush, most discussion is focused around events across the planet, all beginning with Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom, the former starting up less than a month after an attack that left 3,000 people dead, one of the five sides of America’s military headquarters gashed -- and the tallest twin skyscrapers in the Western Hemisphere reduced to a smoldering pile of rubble. Ever since then, Bush has gathered together key components for what he would appropriately call the “freedom agenda”, communicating a sense of optimism about freedom’s power to go beyond differences between people of any belief system or region, whether in Iraq, Ukraine, China… or even Iran.:

Gateway Pundit: George Bush Stood With Democracy Activists -- Obama Stands With Dictators

The contrast with Barack Hussein Obama’s pessimism, if that’s what we may call it, couldn’t be more striking. While the United Arab Emirates held democratic elections for the first time, Qatar sponsored a conference on Arab democracy, and even Saudi Arabia mustered the willpower to release some dissidents it had locked up. Bush expressed hope that the people of Iran would one day live in freedom rather than submission. Well, that day might very well be fast approaching, and the silence of Barack Obama and his advisors is deafening. Obama will be better off supporting or even promoting a free Iran as the United States can at this point, giving the demonstrators in the streets new momentum to overthrow the Islamic Revolutionary Guards and the ayatollahs with them. American President George Walker Bush may have concentrated on health care during certain parts of his early administration, but I will forever remember him as the man who started this country’s defense of liberty in the first decade of the 21st century.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
[
QUOTE=Carlisle;9873345] Hillary Clinton would have done a FANTASTIC job, thank you very much. She would be doing a better job than Obama is doing, as she is far more to the middle. Thank you for filling another stereotype.

Bush? His presidency wasn't great, it wasn't horrible. He made his mistakes, he made his good points. He was simply holding the hot potato when everything started crashing down. I certainly didn't enjoy his presidency, and I would have definitely voted for Gore and Kerry(or technically, Gore again) but there's nothing we can do now. His presidency will be determined on how Iraq shapes out, which looks promising. There are far worse faces in the past eight years than Bush himself. *glances over at **** Cheney*[/QUOTE]

Sorry. I don't want a controling woman to run our country. She wants to be president because her husband was president.

Peopel need to get off of Bush's back.

He really doesn't have grammar issues, maybe he's nervous when he got up there and spoke.

ccangelopearl1362

National Archives: White House: George Walker Bush’s second inaugural address
National Archives: White House: George Walker Bush’s September 5, 2006, speech to the Military Officers’ Association of America
National Archives: White House: George Walker Bush’s June 5, 2007, speech in Prague
National Archives: White House: George Walker Bush’s 2007 address to the United Nations General Assembly

Allow me to extend a word of gratitude to the National Archives for providing snapshots of the official White House website as it was during Bush’s presidency. As I type this, I can only marvel that we will get to hear from the man himself as he explained his decisions regarding key political events that surfaced from January 20, 2001, to January 19, 2009. I would say that Bush made a point of including prominent advocates for liberty, especially one Natan Sharansky, in his thoughts whenever he spoke about it, such as his visit to the Czech Republic leading up to the 2007 G8 Summit. He explained the “totalitarian empire” that the Islamists intend to build, as well as its planned boundaries, based on the caliphates of the past. “Expanding freedom is more than a moral imperative,” declared Bush in Prague. “It is the only realistic way to protect our people in the long run.”. He reaffirmed a commitment to promoting freedom that began with his second inaugural address, which, speaking retrospectively, I could never get tired of reading. He stated then that freedom was our best hope for peace, a stark contrast to the jihadists’ ruthlessness and tyranny, as expressed in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan… and especially Iran. From shutting down Abdul-Qadeer Khan’s nuclear proliferation network to targeting Aids across Africa to opening trade with South Korea and Colombia, among other nations to start sending products to and buying products from America, George Walker Bush’s actions around the world matched the freedom agenda he and his advisors began all those years ago, and that agenda can only stand firm and prominent to this day.

Orihime

OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!
@ccangelopearl1362

now come on, you're just looking at Bush from the super right-wing propagandized point of view. You treat him like he's some kind of messiah while also using the typical usage of Obama's full name to emphasize his middle name while also making him sem like a horrible president, when he's barely done anything yet.

nash_fetchum

What this thread proves more than anything is that Bush supporters have the enviable ability to utterly disregard facts. Regardless if are in full vibrant color. The first thing that stuck out in the thread for me is when the very first inexplicable lie that Bush never linked Iraq to 9-11. That alone should have destroyed the credibility of one side of this argument. However, as we all know- anything some one says with confidence seems at least a little true. The best example is the line, "Bush never linked Iraq to 9-11..." It boarders on insulting to the intelligence; after two or three years of straight up lies: lies about ties to Al' Queada, lies about WMDs, lies about spreading Democracy (bombs are how Republicans capture hearts and minds), we get this. We get the Bush administration flat out lying about ever even saying there was a link between Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden. It's as if they don't know they were being videotaped saying all that stuff.

Then there's Hurricane Katrina, which he of course didn't cause, however (there had to be a "however"), he for one: knew it was coming and that New Orleans wasn't at all prepared, second: he did nothing for days and days after it was apparent the local governments weren't cutting the mustard, ie screwing up royally, and finally: he never REALLY understood how that whole thing was a fiasco in the first place. Some say GW wasn't that dumb- but his understanding of the job didn't really extend beyond soundbites and photo ops. I will however say, Bush was not alone in the Katrina debacle, but he just didn't perform like a president.

As far as ending-partial birth abortion, that really wasn't as great a thing to do you may think. Especially since the name "Partial Birth Abortion" is not the actual name for the procedure. Instead, it was invented by Republicans to make the procedure seem horrifying, despite being mainly used to abort fetuses that had already miscarried or died some other way while in the womb. So really all Bush succeeded in was preventing sick from getting a pretty crucial and comparatively safe medical procedure in favor of far more invasive and risky ones. Go Bush!

Oh and there's torture... which shocks me that you Conservatives aren't more up and arms about.

I'll give Bush one thing that he was right about was fighting them 'there' so we don't have to fight them 'here'. Of course, it wasn't handled well at all and our foreign policy was utterly wrecked. Our allies (who don't be fooled- they would have shot any one we asked politely) didn't want anything to do with us, and we were left with an overextended military fighting two fronts (one of which was utterly unnecessary).

As for the economy? Those seeds were sewn looooooong before he came to office. Reps and Dems are equally at fault there.

Finally, since I'm tired. The Patriot Act... the freaking Patriot Act.

PS. Saying the media is in the tank for Obama is a lot like saying 'Jews own all the banks', it's untrue and makes you sound like an idiot that believes weird talking points and conspiracy theories about the Illuminati.

Alloute

Not Banned
Um...if I may? (I am ever so shy...)

I do not like Mr. Bush much, I think he could have done a lot more during his 2 terms...

BUT, I think he did a lot of good too. He kept us safe for 7 years, so I have to thank him for that, even though I do not want to admit it.

BigLutz

Banned
What this thread proves more than anything is that Bush supporters have the enviable ability to utterly disregard facts. Regardless if are in full vibrant color. The first thing that stuck out in the thread for me is when the very first inexplicable lie that Bush never linked Iraq to 9-11. That alone should have destroyed the credibility of one side of this argument. However, as we all know- anything some one says with confidence seems at least a little true. The best example is the line, "Bush never linked Iraq to 9-11..." It boarders on insulting to the intelligence; after two or three years of straight up lies: lies about ties to Al' Queada, lies about WMDs, lies about spreading Democracy (bombs are how Republicans capture hearts and minds), we get this. We get the Bush administration flat out lying about ever even saying there was a link between Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden. It's as if they don't know they were being videotaped saying all that stuff.

For some one so angry about the facts, you are quite a idiot, no where in this topic does the line "Bush never linked Iraq to 9-11" appear. So by saying that "Bush never linked Iraq to 9-11" appeared in the topic, is in and of itself, a lie.

Now the line "He never claimed they had anything to do with 9/11." which is true. He didn't.

A link to Osama Bin Laden, and a link to 9-11 are two absolutely different things. Bush linked Saddam to Osama and Al Qaeda because at that time the Intellegence community believed that Saddam was working with Osama or atleast opening communication channels. On the other hand he never said Iraq was responsable for 9-11.

The idea Bush said this, has been a lie brought on by people that hate him for many many years.

Edit: BBC: Mr Bush has never directly accused the former Iraqi leader of having a hand in the attacks on New York and Washington, but he has repeatedly associated the two in keynote addresses delivered since 11 September.

Despite his stated rejection of any clear link between Saddam Hussein and the events of that day, Mr Bush continues to assert that the deposed president had ties with al-Qaeda, the terrorist network blamed for the 11 September attacks.

Not to mention saying he lied about WMDs is also a lie, although I really do not have the time to explain why. So just read the lengthy post I made on that subject here

Then there's Hurricane Katrina, which he of course didn't cause, however (there had to be a "however"), he for one: knew it was coming and that New Orleans wasn't at all prepared,

Responsibility of the State and Local Government to prepare, Hurricane Katrina hit a very large swath of land, that being said it's untrue to say New Orleans wasn't at all prepared. Of all the events that happened, the one thing they did wrong was not keep their levies in shape. No one knew how well they would hold, and in the end it was the responsibility of the local Government for them using the money to keep the levies in proper shape. Really if the levies had held, New Orleans would have only gotten a glancing blow from Katrina and the city would have been perfectly fine.

second: he did nothing for days and days after it was apparent the local governments weren't cutting the mustard, ie screwing up royally,

He can't really swoop in and take over, we do have separation of powers. Lets also not forget that many of the faults of the local Government, such as say the School Busses sitting around that could have taken people out, were not discovered until after the Hurricane hit.

and finally: he never REALLY understood how that whole thing was a fiasco in the first place.

Opinion not a fact.

Some say GW wasn't that dumb- but his understanding of the job didn't really extend beyond soundbites and photo ops.

Yeah... that line right there really kills any credibility you have.

I will however say, Bush was not alone in the Katrina debacle, but he just didn't perform like a president.

And how does a President perform when the law steps in the way of micromanaging state and local Governments?

As far as ending-partial birth abortion, that really wasn't as great a thing to do you may think. Especially since the name "Partial Birth Abortion" is not the actual name for the procedure. Instead, it was invented by Republicans to make the procedure seem horrifying, despite being mainly used to abort fetuses that had already miscarried or died some other way while in the womb. So really all Bush succeeded in was preventing sick from getting a pretty crucial and comparatively safe medical procedure in favor of far more invasive and risky ones. Go Bush!

Great job misrepresenting the entire thing, I am sure that you have facts from a unbiased source to show that it is "Mainly" used for this?

Not to mention as stated under US Code a Partial Birth Abortion is:
(A) deliberately and intentionally vaginally delivers a living fetus until, in the case of a head-first presentation, the entire fetal head is outside the body of the mother, or, in the case of breech presentation, any part of the fetal trunk past the navel is outside the body of the mother, for the purpose of performing an overt act that the person knows will kill the partially delivered living fetus; and

(B) performs the overt act, other than completion of delivery, that kills the partially delivered living fetus; and

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00001531----000-.html

Oh and there's torture... which shocks me that you Conservatives aren't more up and arms about.

Because it wasn't torture as defined under the law, and saved thousands of lives. Yeah we pesky Conservatives, we just can't get angry when thousands of lives are saved.

I'll give Bush one thing that he was right about was fighting them 'there' so we don't have to fight them 'here'. Of course, it wasn't handled well at all and our foreign policy was utterly wrecked. Our allies (who don't be fooled- they would have shot any one we asked politely) didn't want anything to do with us, and we were left with an overextended military fighting two fronts (one of which was utterly unnecessary).

And yet we badly dismantled Al Qaeda, deposed two horrible Governments, and reduced Bin Laden to a hidey hole in Pakistan. I call that a win win.

Finally, since I'm tired. The Patriot Act... the freaking Patriot Act.

Yep the Patriot Act, drafted and voted upon by a bi partisan Congress.

PS. Saying the media is in the tank for Obama is a lot like saying 'Jews own all the banks', it's untrue and makes you sound like an idiot that believes weird talking points and conspiracy theories about the Illuminati.

So its just my imagination that a top NBC Reporter just accepted a job at the White House, and ABC is running a Obama infomercial next week, with out any opposition? But oh wait, Nash says the media isn't in the tank for Obama, so obviously those things as well as the millions of other examples never happened.

Edit: Oh yeah, and ABC Employees, donated heavily to Obama

Oh and there is this: A study released Thursday by the Business & Media Institute (BMI) found that since Inauguration Day, ABC has aired news stories with positive reviews of Mr. Obama's health care policy 55 times, compared with 18 times when the network highlighted negative reviews.

Citing Census Bureau figures, the BMI analyses also accused ABC of "exaggerating the breadth of the uninsured problem," saying the network's claim that up to 50 million Americans are uninsured is false.

"ABC is in bed with their source, so to speak. ABC is supposed to be a news organization, not a producer of infomercials for national health care. And I wonder what they would have done if the Bush administration had asked for positive programming to support the war on terror or Social Security initiatives," said Dan Gainor, BMI vice president of business and culture.

Last edited:
I do know that at some points in history the Bush administration's policies would have been fine and dandy, but this was not one of them. After one of the worst terrorist attacks in our history and the worst natural disaster in our history, we couldn't really expect anyone to be able to perfectly recover and get us back in shape, even with 4 years between said events. Plenty of presidents have been in office at times where no serious crises were taking place that would require much effort to repair, but Bush had at least two. I myself don't find him horrible or revolting, but I do think he was far from the best choice to see us through these particular eight years.

ccangelopearl1362

Weekly Standard: Stephen F. Hayes: Case Closed

Perhaps this speculation about a connection between Saddam Hussein and Al-Qaeda leading up to Operation Iraqi Freedom is more solid than we already know. The Weekly Standard secured a memo containing intelligence reports coming out of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Central Intelligence Agency, and the National Security Agency, among others, and corroborated among multiple sources. Saddam’s advisors asked Sudan for assistance in establishing links to Al-Qaeda, and one Hassan Al-Turabi of the National Islamic Front was eager to facilitate this unholy alliance. Iraqi Intelligence Service operatives met with Al-Qaeda in both Sudan and Pakistan as the 1990s progressed, and those operatives had orders from Saddam himself to keep these links as much of a secret from foreign intelligence – most likely American, British, and/or Israeli intelligence – as possible. The specific encounters are very compelling to digest, from a meeting between Osama bin Laden and the IIS’s director in Sudan to a visit by bin Laden to Baghdad to establish training camps under Tariq Aziz’s leadership. Later, when American President Bill Clinton authorized a bombing campaign against Iraq in mid-December 1998, Saddam Hussein intended to “bully or cajole” other Muslim countries, including Turkey and Saudi Arabia, into giving up their support for the United States and declare solidarity with Iraq. Yet, as much as this memo has in the way of intelligence reports, this is only a fraction of the overall intelligence gathered about this burgeoning connection. I don’t know if we actually intended to achieve this or if we cited other factors in our overall post-9/11 agenda, but by decimating Iraq’s military and planting the flag of liberty in the middle of Baghdad, George Walker Bush not only terminated the Saddam-Al-Qaeda relationship, but also persuaded the Middle East that freedom was possible as a future, and despite any shoeing against Bush toward the end of his presidency, the United States has a couple of seriously sweet security agreements with Iraq, and the Iraqi people themselves now have an opportunity to declare solidarity with… the people of Iran in their current battle for liberty.:

National Archives: White House: George Walker Bush and Nouri Al-Maliki’s December 14, 2008, comments on two new strategic agreements between the United States and Iraq
Gateway Pundit: Iraqis Back Green Revolution in Neighboring Iran

If events in the Middle East have a tendency to follow one another in a sort of domino effect, then I would consider freedom’s eruption across that region a good outcome for the United States and its allies. Iraqi Shiites have protested against President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and Sunnis and Kurds alike can join them in lighting the way for the rest of the Islamic Middle East, should the people of Iran successfully overthrow the ayatollahs. George Walker Bush’s freedom agenda has been and will be influential in highlighting America’s best attributes and founding mission for the world… and perhaps that agenda was even more influential to my own thought process than one might expect. From Ahmadinejad’s apocalyptic agenda to North Korea’s nuclear/ballistic menace, my interest in current political events developed under Bush’s presidency, and my support for optimism, innovation, and curiosity as attributes that make the United States an excellent country flows from that interest, even if I opined that Bush may have been wrong on specific policies he implemented. I should be able to explain myself even further later on, but as the situation currently stands, I support, among other foreign initiatives, a strengthened alliance between America and India and freedom for Burma.:

Weekly Standard: Duncan Currie: The Importance of India
Wall Street Journal: Laura Bush: Stop the Terror in Burma

I can only wonder how far George and Laura Bush have gone in promoting freedom around the world, including South and Southeast Asia. We’ve now got a civilian nuclear cooperation deal with India, and after what I’ve come to call the Great Christmas Tsunami of 2004, America and India launched a joint relief mission with Japan and Australia for that catastrophe’s victims. The contrast with the frostiness between America and India during the Cold War couldn’t be more striking, and the potential is there for India to grow as an economic stronghold into this century. Despite current weaknesses in India’s infrastructure and educational institutions, Columbia University’s Arvind Panagariya credits Bush for extending America’s relationship with India significantly, and one can guess that Burma will be another key point of cooperation between these two countries as Burma’s people continue their struggle for liberty and peace. Perhaps the domino effect of freedom really will extend beyond the Middle East, given the iron will of those who take up its cause. From French President Nicolas Sarkozy to Pope Benedict XVI, from the Dalai Lama to current Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the voices of liberty can still echo around the world, extending even into places we might not expect. I recall both that decree against Pokémon for leading young Muslims in Saudi Arabia away from the glories of Sharia and my own conclusion about the eerie resemblance between Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s world-ending agenda and that of Team Galactic’s Cyrus… which will ultimately give Pearlshipping a place in my thoughts as being most consistent with Pokémon’s best attributes through liberty. Perhaps that last part will be helpful as confirmation of the course of my thought process these past eight years: George W. Bush was the President of the United States during a series of events powerful enough to change the world forever, and he kept the torch of liberty burning firmly and brightly as he knew how during that time. Only five months have passed since Barack Obama’s inauguration, but Obama has already demonstrated himself to be comprehensively pessimistic about America’s founding mission, both around the world and at home. Yes, those eager for freedom may still have an interest in seeing this country recover and embrace once more the attributes that have sustained and strengthened it for about the past 230 years… and with America's birthday now two Saturdays away, this political junkie can only be eager to add his encouragement to such people, continuing the course set by George Walker Bush after the airplane jihad strikes of September 11, 2001.

IMO, he f***ed things up. Sorry for the awful language, but he did. For one, he put our troops in Iraq. Let them fight their own war! Don't get involved. Plus, I think Osama Bin Laden might be dead or something. That, and he is one is the dumbest people alive. Dumber than Paris Hilton, in a way. And THAT, people, is clearly sending a strong message. He was not prepared at ALL for Hurricane Katrina. He doesn't act like a President should. :/