• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did George W. Bush do anything right?

Over the last few weeks in my AP World History class we were learning more and more things about events that have occurred since the year 2000. The whole time we did so I could not see anything that George W Bush did right, only things he royally screwed up. He preached abstinence in his effort to lower teen pregnancy rates, only to learn that the ones not heeding his words were unprepared because they were not taught about safe sex. He sent our troops to Iraq even though Iraq was one of the areas in the Middle East that was not involved in 9-11 whatsoever. Hurricane Katrina- perhaps the worst natural disaster in US history- terrorized New Orleans, and Mr. Bush was off doing God knows what. How the @#$@ did he not know about this? There were Canadian Mounties coming to the aid of the victims far before he even acknowleged that anything may have been amiss. How did we ever end up with him as our leader?

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
And here come the republicans to refute every thing you have said. Remember, its possible to justify ANYTHING. Like the crusades. So be prepared to hear some bizzare logic.

BigLutz

Banned
Over the last few weeks in my AP World History class we were learning more and more things about events that have occurred since the year 2000. The whole time we did so I could not see anything that George W Bush did right, only things he royally screwed up. He preached abstinence in his effort to lower teen pregnancy rates, only to learn that the ones not heeding his words were unprepared because they were not taught about safe sex.

Which while true, is something alot of people believe needs to be taught in school as sex ed, I don't believe it but its a view point many hold.

He sent our troops to Iraq even though Iraq was one of the areas in the Middle East that was not involved in 9-11 whatsoever.

He never claimed they had anything to do with 9/11. That being said Iraq was something that we would have gone to war with no matter if Bush or Gore were President. It was the most active trouble making state in the Middle East, and a thorn in the side of the Clinton Administration.

Hurricane Katrina- perhaps the worst natural disaster in US history- terrorized New Orleans, and Mr. Bush was off doing God knows what.

Hurricane Katrina was the fault of the state and local Government. But you wont hear anyone blame them because they have (D)s by their names.

How the @#$@ did he not know about this? There were Canadian Mounties coming to the aid of the victims far before he even acknowleged that anything may have been amiss. How did we ever end up with him as our leader?

Umm he did know about it, he was monitoring it from the Texas Ranch, Washington was off on vacation at that time and he was working on it from there.

pocketmunster said:
And here come the republicans to refute every thing you have said. Remember, its possible to justify ANYTHING. Like the crusades. So be prepared to hear some bizzare logic.

It's also easy for idiots to make up things that are untrue.

As for things he did right. He protected this country after 9/11 from which we now know were several terrorist attacks including a major one targeting the West Coast. He did a amazing job when it comes to aid in Africa, something he never gets credit for. And he recognized the threat that North Korea, Iran, and Iraq posed long before anyone else did, and he got ridiculed for throwing Iran and North Korea into the same category as Iraq. Well how did THAT work out. He also recognized the growing problems with Social Security and our Financial System, again he was ridiculed and laughed at for those problems. He worked on a Missile Defense system even though many said it would never work, in the end that system may save a city or two from a North Korean missile launch. Oh and he liberated around 40 million or so people from two dictator ships.

In the end, Bush wasn't the best President, but he wasn't the worst.

Last edited:

Fused

Shun the nonbeliever
I agree with Big Lutz's last line. Just liek any other president, he did some thigns right and he did some thigns wrong. He's not my personal favorite, but he hasn't doomed us all (as far as we know).

Also, he deserves a little credit. He was president during: 9/11, War on Terrorism, Hurrican Katrina, a deep economic recession, Iraq, Iran, part of Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc.

So he took on a lot during his presidency. That was his ultimate rise and fall.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Bush took the stuff throw at him very well.

He wasn't bad, nor the best.

He went through alot.

Cut the guy some slack.

Ethan

Banned
1. He did not have sex with that woman.

2. He ended partial birth abortion.

3. He passed The Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006

http://www.cybertipline.com/missingkids/servlet/NewsEventServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=2503

(Decreasing the chance of you or your children being molested, I'd be damned grateful)

4. The invasion of Afghanistan in 2003 put an effective end to the genocide that was taking place between the Pastun and Hazara peoples.

5. Passed the Pension Protection Act of 2006, keeping companies from cheating their employees out of their retirement.

6. Numerous free trade agreements between Jordan, Morroco, Australia, Singapore, etc.

7. Unborn Victims of Violence Act, which means if you murder a pregnant women you can be charged with a double homicide.

To answer your question.

Ipwnyou

I was never a big fan of george bush but I am truly sick of people blaming george bush for the economy.
I feel like a part of my brain rots away every time I see someone blame the president for the economy, when he really doesn't have that much control over it anyway.

Last edited:

Chris

Old Coot
1. He did not have sex with that woman.
OH LORD, WHAT A HORRIBLE THING CLINTON DID! HE CHEATED ON HIS WIFE AND LIED ABOUT IT!

That's WAY worse than a President who went against the UN and attacked a country that did NOT have any of the so called "weapons of mass destruction" nor did not pose a single threat to the country like it was claimed it was.

2. He ended partial birth abortion.
As well as banning stem cell research and causing millions of people to want bans on all abortions.

3. He passed The Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006

http://www.cybertipline.com/missingkids/servlet/NewsEventServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=2503

(Decreasing the chance of you or your children being molested, I'd be damned grateful)
Yeah, because I was totally always getting molested before this got passed.

4. The invasion of Afghanistan in 2003 put an effective end to the genocide that was taking place between the Pastun and Hazara peoples.
While also deciding to pack it up and call it a day without even putting much of an attempt to search for Osama bin Laden, unlike the amount of effort he put into having Saddam pulled out of power and launching attacks on Iraq.

Last edited:

BigLutz

Banned
OH LORD, WHAT A HORRIBLE THING CLINTON DID! HE CHEATED ON HIS WIFE AND LIED ABOUT IT!

He lied to a Grand Jury in a attempt to imped a investigation into sexual harassment. He's lucky he isn't serving jail time.

That's WAY worse than a President who went against the UN

Isn't against the law to go against the UN.

and attacked a country that did NOT have any of the so called "weapons of mass destruction" nor did not pose a single threat to the country like it was claimed it was.

Yeah they did, for one on the WMDs, every President since Bush 41 knew they had WMDs, it was a Bi Partisan belief. There are still WMDs that Iraq has not accounted for there that are just "Missing". As for a threat, yeah possessing those kinds of weapons, with such a access to terrorists, does constitute a threat.

As well as banning stem cell research and causing millions of people to want bans on all abortions.

The man worked hard on a Bi Partisan Agreement that satisfied both sides. He deserves credit for it.

So we shouldn't pass legislation to help stop horrible behavior?

While also deciding to pack it up and call it a day without even putting much of an attempt to search for Osama bin Laden, unlike the amount of effort he put into having Saddam pulled out of power and launching attacks on Iraq.

Umm they put a insane amount of effort into Afghanistan, as well as the hunt for Bin Laden, you just have a territory so vast and rugged that it was near impossible to find him. Unlike Iraq where Saddam was just hiding in a regular town. Also the perception that he "Picked it up and called it a day" is more of something created by the media than a reality. Afghanistan was called the "Forgotten War" for many years, not because we weren't putting any effort in, but because the Taliban were barely attacking, and there were not any violent battles, or huge death tolls like Iraq.

Last edited:

meteor64

Show Me Ya Noobs

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
So we shouldn't pass legislation to help stop horrible behavior?
Legislation dosent control behaviors. People still murder. Its not like mlestation was legal before this.

See, I'm going to end up having to DEFEND this guy here! I don't say he's a grand president, but, he's done a few things. Just not what we wanted him to! In general, the fact is, he is not far off from Reagan; many Republicans will kiss his arse forever and ever (even after death!) and many Democrats will hate him with a flaming passion forever and ever. You won't get a straight answer from this. I dare say, really, that the Iraq thing (wasting time on **** we shouldn't be allowed to do) and the budget and the ruined economy will destroy any chance of him being widely remembered for doing anything too good, and most of his better things were pretty neutral overall, e.g. cutting taxes.

He preached abstinence in his effort to lower teen pregnancy rates, only to learn that the ones not heeding his words were unprepared because they were not taught about safe sex.

I wouldn't say it's entirely his fault. Since, well, Bush didn't make them disregard the abstinence teachings. I think safe sex should be taught, but I wouldn't, as such, say that it's Bush's fault that it wasn't. He didn't enforce a plan that said "YOU HAVE TO TEACH ABSTINENCE, OR ELSE," to my knowledge; I mean, I had sex ed during his term, and they taught me proper condom use. That was 05/06. I think we can nail this by teaching both! Of course, GWB's religion wouldn't allow that, but the President STILL doesn't have his hand up the *** of the education system THAT far. I would NOT say that his beliefs influenced the population that much overall, either.

He sent our troops to Iraq even though Iraq was one of the areas in the Middle East that was not involved in 9-11 whatsoever.

Hussein, etc. Not his job, though, which is the problem here.

Hurricane Katrina- perhaps the worst natural disaster in US history- terrorized New Orleans, and Mr. Bush was off doing God knows what.

As Lutz said it was more the fault of more local causes, but I dare say both of them had some fault in this; Bush didn't give any aid that the people of New Orleans would need in addition to the more local government aid... of course, his response was not vastly swift, either, which is where a big part of the REAL problem here comes from.

How did we ever end up with him as our leader?

Isn't the system beautiful.

BigLutz

Banned
Legislation dosent control behaviors. People still murder. Its not like mlestation was legal before this.

By that logic we should repeal all murder laws, infact lets repeal all laws, it apparently doesn't work, so why have them on the books. They are just a waste of time. Seriously of all the things you guys could critisize Bush for, this is one of the most asinine and pathetic things imaginable.

Last edited:

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
By that logic we should repeal all murder laws, infact lets repeal all laws, it apparently doesn't work, so why have them on the books. They are just a waste of time. Seriously of all the things you guys could critisize Bush for, this is one of the most asinine pathetic things imaginable.
It was already illegal at that point. Making a law that puts you n jail is the only legislation that MAY contol behavior. It still happens. Im not saying dont punish people or anything like that which im not sure why your thinking im implying that. Im just sayin, things like this "(Decreasing the chance of you or your children being molested, I'd be damned grateful)" are bull shi*.

BigLutz

Banned
It was already illegal at that point. Making a law that puts you n jail is the only legislation that MAY contol behavior. It still happens. Im not saying dont punish people or anything like that which im not sure why your thinking im implying that. Im just sayin, things like this "(Decreasing the chance of you or your children being molested, I'd be damned grateful)" are bull shi*.

Well lets look at what the law does.

"The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) calls the passage of “The Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006” the toughest and most important piece of legislation in the past 25 years in helping to save children’s lives. This legislation (H.R. 4472) creates a national sex offender database and implements measures designed to drastically improve the tracking of sex offenders. It will also help to protect children against sexual exploitation and violent crimes. "

With out getting into specifics, it creates a sex offender database, and drastically improves the tracking of sex offenders.

Both of those drastically decreases the chance of your child being molested. The first by providing information to the public through a database to inform them who is a sex offender and where they live. It also improves the tracking of sex offenders, something that can prevent sex offenders from contacting children or trying to avoid the cops.

Both of those are incredibly healthy prevention measures and most likely have saved many many children.

Well, i didn't mean shoes, but yes, i guess shoes to.

I would rather have Bush in as president again the *shudders* Hilary Clinton.
Hillary Clinton would have done a FANTASTIC job, thank you very much. She would be doing a better job than Obama is doing, as she is far more to the middle. Thank you for filling another stereotype.

Bush? His presidency wasn't great, it wasn't horrible. He made his mistakes, he made his good points. He was simply holding the hot potato when everything started crashing down. I certainly didn't enjoy his presidency, and I would have definitely voted for Gore and Kerry(or technically, Gore again) but there's nothing we can do now. His presidency will be determined on how Iraq shapes out, which looks promising. There are far worse faces in the past eight years than Bush himself. *glances over at **** Cheney*

Ethan

Banned

That's WAY worse than a President who went against the UN and attacked a country that did NOT have any of the so called "weapons of mass destruction" nor did not pose a single threat to the country like it was claimed it was.

It was joke, congratulations for reading too far into it. But if you really want to play this game, Bill Clinton was also going to invade Iraq.

http://www.fas.org/news/iraq/1998/11/01/981101-in.htm

Pay attention.

It's still good to have a ban on partial birth abortion, either way you look at it. Bringing something else that you think was bad doesn't diminish the fact.

Now you're just being an idiot. Maybe you don't have to worry because you're a fully grown man, but I'm sure it would mean a lot more to you if you were married with small children that you care deeply about.

BigLutz already commented.

No, but maybe you're full of shit. Increasing the minimum time that sex offenders stay in jail from 7 to 20 years and up effectively decreases the chances of them hurting another child. Period. If you cannot understand that, you're an idiot. Also what BigLutz said.

Last edited: