• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did Hoenn disappoint you?

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
No it didn't. Unlike RBY, there was more than two things to do after beating the E-4. You could breed, complete the pokedex, catch Lat@s, catch Rayquaza (RS), catch Groudon and Kyogre (EM), beat the Battle Tower (RS), beat the Battle Frontier (EM), EV train, migrate Pokemon over to DP (if you have it), and beat contests.

The music was a bit of an improvement, I constantly finding myself humming some of the themes (Sky Pillar and Rayogroudon battle). There are some from every game I like, but Hoenn has some of my favorites.

The graphics were the greatest improvement, from the poorly shaded gsc sprites, or the mono color RBY (exluding Black and White), they combined the two factors in an easy little 64x64 image.

My first respone to "worse plot" is "RBY has little plot whatsoever, so that doesn't help your arguement". Also if remember correctly, GSC had a pretty small plot as well (not a bad one, just little to base it on).

Also, the team building aspect was pretty good. You have 4 fire types excluding Blaziken, and 5 if you count Castform-Fire. 4 Dragons, 5 if you are playing Emerald, a pretty good improvement, since there were only 2 dragons to chose from in GSC. Don't forget the fact that you have Linoone this gen, which is a pickup and HM slave in one. You also have the godly Shedinja, which is by far the ultimate in game Pokemon (only damage from SE attacks, which is a small list, and only a few gym leaders have those types (3/8 if I'm not mistaken). Not too mention you get Weezing fairly early, who learns Explosion at an awesome level 44.

And for honorable mention, Heart Scale. I think you know why.

Although the trainers are pure crap. :|

Last edited:

Charr

That Pokemon Fan
Hoenn wasn't a dissapointment!
It has nice looking Pokemon,nice music,and nice Cities and Towns!

pokewaffles

.:.waffle trainer.:.
I didnt think any of the games were really bad. If any games werent as good as expected, I would say Sinnoh because none of the pokemon were cute and strong. However, I enjoyed playing emerald alot!! X3
40th POST EVER!!!YAY!!!WHOO!!! X3

Pseudo-Legendary

Expert IV Trainer
nah not really the only thing that dissapointed me was the music.It just cant compare to the music of johto and kanto.But other then that,its good

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Ruby and Sapphire were my introduction to the Pokemon games (yes, I started later than many), so I measure them against all the other games. That being said, I prefer the RSE games above all others. It is 10X easier to get through all the cities to battle with my pokemon to level them up, it's easy to find trainers to battle again (compared to the Vs. Seeker of FRLG/DP), and there is a great purpose to fighting the bad guys. The first two generations don't offer much as far as Team Rocket goes, apart from battling Giovanni in FRLG (I haven't made it past the E4 in Crystal). Plus, the time/space distortion does NOTHING in DP, compared to the weather effects that you have to stop in RSE. And there's the Battle Frontier, of course, in Emerald, which is fun and challenging.

Basically, RSE have been the best games, for me anyway.

G-S-C Fanatic

o.O Shiny Gater
Hoenn did disappoint me. The pokemon were crap and the Gym Leaders were to easy(except the 6th). The made starting with a fire type easier by making it half fighting when it evolved. Also the Elite Four was easier than the rest. I think the 1st and 2nd Gens were the best. In RBY the Leaders were at higher Lvls than most. Giovanni in yellow was almost as strong as Steven. Also in GSC After beating the Elite Four they allowed you to go to Kanto which extended gameplay when is RS they didnt. But Emerald was pretty good with the battle frontier.

The Elite Four was disappointing, since Phoebe and Glacia had primarily repeat Pokemon. At least they weren't as weak as G/S/C's Elite in name only Four. And yeah, the music wasn't as great as the others. And the climax of Emerald's plot involved Rayquaza as a Deus Ex Machina to miraculously reset everything to normal (and now you know why the Team Magma/Aqua conclusion kind of sucked in the anime).

But R/S/E gave me Breloom and new Ghosts, so I'm happy.

mewfanforlife

I felt they were ok;they weren't awful but they weren't my favorites either. The removal of the Day/Night system was my biggest complaint. I didn't feel that D/P implemented it as well as G/S/C either, but that's a bit off topic. Emerald was my favorite part of R/S/E though.

CharizardBlastoise

Squirtle Power!
Hoen Was Good But Some Things They Removed From Johto Should Have Stayed Dosen't Matter Now Though As They Brought Most Back In Sinnoh ^^

golduck#1

meh hoenn didn't dispoint me when i was like 11 but now i realised it does. it was just to quick than the others to easy with a blaziken and the cycle bit were u gain up levels while ur asleep made it dumb when u didn't ev train

mew801

hoenn didnt "dissapoint" me but i thought that it could have been a bit better, i mean the elite four was a bit of a pushover, and the storyline was kinda lame, but emerald was better because it had the battle frontier and tents so i prefered emerald to sapphire.

Jerre

Gogoat!
Hoenn didn't dissapoint me. It's one of my favourite regions. And Pokémon Emerald is my most of my favourites Pokémon Games untill now.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
i'm not complaining about the hoenn region and it's features except for the fast bike in that game, i still cannot use that thing because it's difficult to steer most of the time.

It didn't disappoint me, but it could have been better. I liked the plot and the music (Johto's was the best though) and Team Magma/Aqua was a nice change from Team Rocket. I was sad that you couldn't trade over your pokemon from the old games, and that many pokemon couldn't be found at all in Hoenn. But I got over that.

Stale

I found R/S to be big letdowns, because you're basically out of things to do once you catch Rayquaza.

In Emerald however...I personally have a blast running through the Battle Factory for hours on end.

kirby8933083

mai husbando
R/S I always thought was very hard compared to the rest of the pokemon games. True that besides catching all the available legendaries, getting everything up to 100 and looking for shinnies which is extremely boring, there is not much to do that you can't already do in other games. Actually getting shinnies, getting everything to 100 and getting all the available ledgendaries you can do in every game, my bad. Thats why I got emerald, I've heard the battle frontier is amazing and very challenging to keep everything from being beyond boring. So, it sort of disappointed me but not entirely.

In some ways yes, it was missing alot of my fav pokemon and some of the new ones weren't much to look at.

The new legendaries were pretty rad though :3

Bueno~

Brazilian Trainer
Hoenn? Disappointment?! Hell no!
Hoenn is the reason why I'm here in the first place.
[2]

The best Pokemon, Storyline, Villains, Legendaries, everything!
With Esmerald it becomes Outstanding.

I'm kinda HoennManiac thinking now..