• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did Light Yagami Deserve to Die?

Did Light Yagami Deserve to Die?

• Yes, he did.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • No...he didn't...

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I couldn't care less.

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

POKEMONISDUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

This just crossed my mind. We all know that Ryuk kills Light in the end, but the question I'm asking is: do you think he deserved to die?

Well, seeing how he had completely lost his mind in the end...
(In chapter 105 in the manga, and episode 37 in the animé.)

I'd say he did deserve to die.

What do you think? Did you say: "he deserved that", or did you say: "don't do it!"

Last edited:

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Does this even need to be asked? Of course he did.

Besides this is pretty much the same topic as the "Was Light Yagami doing the right thing?" thread.
What he said so yes, Light Yagami deserved to die but not at the hands of Near.

I know Death Note is awesome and all but are we still talking about it? Shouldn't we now be talking about Bakuman?

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Near: No. You're just a murderer, Light Yagami. And this notebook is the deadliest weapon in the history of mankind. If you had been a normal person and had used this notebook once out of curiosity, you would have been surprised and scared of what had happened, regretted what you had done, and never used this notebook again. To speak of extremes, I can actually understand those who would use this notebook for their personal interests and kill a couple of people, and even think that they're normal. But you yielded to the power of the notebook and the Shinigami and have confused yourself with a god. In the end, you're nothing more than a crazy serial killer. That's all you are. Nothing more and nothing less.

As much as people (and by people I mean dirty fangirls) hate Near, nobody else could've put it better than him. Light's just a self-centred murderer who uses the whole "saving the world from criminals" BS as an excuse for his own actions. Alas, at least the movie put a spin on it.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
He did the wrong thing he died and deserved it.
Death note was ok but he needed to die.

MewTwoEx

Metagross Master
He did. Its not up to humans to decide who gets to live and who dies.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
Light Yagami was a sociopath with a hero complex who appointed himself God of the new world.

I don't care about how noble his intentions were, the world's better off not being ruled over by a childish prick.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Near: No. You're just a murderer, Light Yagami. And this notebook is the deadliest weapon in the history of mankind. If you had been a normal person and had used this notebook once out of curiosity, you would have been surprised and scared of what had happened, regretted what you had done, and never used this notebook again. To speak of extremes, I can actually understand those who would use this notebook for their personal interests and kill a couple of people, and even think that they're normal. But you yielded to the power of the notebook and the Shinigami and have confused yourself with a god. In the end, you're nothing more than a crazy serial killer. That's all you are. Nothing more and nothing less.

As much as people (and by people I mean dirty fangirls) hate Near, nobody else could've put it better than him. Light's just a self-centred murderer who uses the whole "saving the world from criminals" BS as an excuse for his own actions. Alas, at least the movie put a spin on it.
I'll admit, that is true, I can't see anyone but him putting a stop to Light...well maybe Ryuk. Still, it would have been interesting to see what would happen if he stopped Near. I wouldn't want more people after him but to see how he would react to the utopia he created...but still, Ryuk.

Last edited:

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
I'll admit, that is true, I can't see anyone but him putting a stop to Light...well maybe Ryuk. Still, it would have been interesting to see what would happen if he stopped Near. I wouldn't want more people after him but to see how he would react to the utopia he created...but still, Ryuk.

Just out of speculation, Ryuk would probably get bored with how peaceful everything had got and either write Light's name down anyway or steal another shinigami's Note, pass it onto a human with a grudge against Kira (probably another genius because they seem to be ten-a-penny in this series), and then watch the revolution unfold.

Probably impractical, but I suspect it would have kept Ryuk occupied for longer.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
It doesn't really matter whether or not Light deserved to die.

ALL PEOPLE DIE; THAT'S A FACT. (It's even stated in the rules of the Death Note.)

But to answer the question, yes, he's pretty much deserved it...good riddance.

Last edited:

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Just out of speculation, Ryuk would probably get bored with how peaceful everything had got and either write Light's name down anyway or steal another shinigami's Note, pass it onto a human with a grudge against Kira (probably another genius because they seem to be ten-a-penny in this series), and then watch the revolution unfold.

Probably impractical, but I suspect it would have kept Ryuk occupied for longer.
Sort of. Remember at the beginning of the series, Ryuk said that he'd be the one who'd write Light's name into the notebook? Heck, it's even a rule last time I checked.

JetshipperKekkaishi

High School DxD Fanatic
Light need to die. I mean He was nothing but a murderer and ranting about being the New God of the new World. He need to die for a few reasons. Trying to get rid of People that stood in his way.In a way Ryuk said that he was going to kill him. Maybe he didn't want to wait in jail with Light so the best way was to kill him.