• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did Pokemon go Downhill?

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
I haven't seen one good twist to the story because of a loss since Ash finished 16th in the pokemon league.

He lost to Brawly in early AG. After this, he got really worked up about it, feeling guilty about Treeko suffering some serious damage from Sumo onslaught. He shouted at his friends and told them to shut up when they made an attempt at cheering him up, before eventually realising what an ungrateful ass he'd been. Ash then prepared for a rematch by actually training his pokémon daily, making a capture in the process.

I don't know about you, but I thought that loss in particular presented a memorable story twist. Ash and his pokémon got some decent (at least by this show's standards) character development out of it, so yeah. Seems like a good enough candidate to moi~

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
And don't forget our final-AG plot twist...

Oh, I didn't forget it...I'm just too much of a prude to use spoiler tags. Eew, like, they're totally icky!

tomato13187

The King of Karp
Kanto was the only season I saw every episode in, and I enjoyed most of it, particularly the gym battle episodes and the Climax in the Indigo Plateau. The Viridian Forest ones I liked too.

I also liked his pokemon team in that season too. Pikachu, Butterfree, Pidgeotto, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Primeape, Kingler, & Muk.

After that, they seemed to repeat all those pokemon of the generation after. Like Swellow is the new Pidgeotto and such.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Pidgeotto only participated in one gym battle, and all times after that, it was only used to pop TR's balloon.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
After that, they seemed to repeat all those pokemon of the generation after. Like Swellow is the new Pidgeotto and such.
Eh? Repeats you say? My friend, this was hardly the case~
Personallity-wise, they've all been vastly different from one another. Compare Squirtle to Corphish, and you can't really find any similarities between them. One was a psuedo-tough guy, while the other was a deranged, and somewhat selfish kook. Treeko and Bulbasaur were nothing alike. Bulbasaur wanted to prove itself as a Bulbasaur, while Treeko had a strong lust for power, going to extreme lengths in order to obtain it.
They're all different in terms of battling too. His Houen pokémon in particular, were melee fighters. They relied more on close range attacks and techniques to take on foes, while his Team in Kanto favoured long range, distanced attacks. Johto was a mixed bag, with the likes of Cyndaquil in particular being more strategy-based.

The only pokémon that was similar to a past one was Chiko/Bayleef, and that was only down to it's Vine Whipping and Razor Leafing. Even then, it's techniques still differ greatly from that of Bulbasaur, as it didn't have the luxuary of powder and drainage attacks.

And yeah...as much as I loved Pidgeotto, Swellow completely decimates it. There's absolutely no competition there.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
*insert lame joke about various species of Pokemon that, at one point or another, have been seen going down a hill*

I suppose it depends on what you mean by going downhill. It did shift from being story driven to being "BUY OUR MERCHANDISE" driven relatively early on, so that doubtlessly would turn some people off of it. Plus, given the longer length of time that it's been running, people are getting more opportunities to notice how repeatedly repetitiously repetitive the series is, which again turns more people off of it. And of course the writers have to change things at SOME point, whether to cure themselves of boredom, to surgically remove stale characters, or to introduce new characters to promote their mechandise, and after a sufficiently large change...people complain like the dickens. See:Misty, May, VA changes(even though that only effects one language, it DID produce vast amounts of complaining). And of course, after a long period of NO change, people...complain! See:Brock, overused attacks, Team Rocket(even though THEY don't deserve complaints).

As well, after ten years many original fans have doubtlessly moved on(and threfore find it "stupid" now), and we keep getting fresh blood in the form of many little kids who, although they are the target audience, still don't give the show(or the games or...) a good image in the minds of most people above age twelve.

And of course, with anything that goes on for a while people are bound to ask "HAZZIT JUMEPD TEH SHRAK?", "HAZZIR GON DAUNHIL?", and the like.

Basically there's no way of winning, so the fans keep watching. Unless they start to hate the show, then they stop watching and go do something productive. Like clipping their toenails.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Basically there's no way of winning, so the fans keep watching. Unless they start to hate the show, then they stop watching and go do something productive. Like clipping their toenails.
Ironically, I actually was clipping my toenails when I read that.

It's not, you just have to look around for it is all.

But, Kanto is where Lance is! :D And I really think that saying it is the best best anime ever is a bit much, just how many other animes do you watch, anyways?

Lance did not come out in Kanto series at all. Only Bruno and Prima did in Orange Island series. So no I do not like it. The anime is the best. Take the anime seen on cartoon network. Some of it is too stupid or too complicated. The only other anime to match Pokemon to me is Naruto. That is a good anime too.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ash traveled to get the gym badges so he could enter the Pokemon League. Now, Ash blindly walks through the Hoenn region to become a pokeon master, at least in all the episodes I've seen.

This was quite possibly the dumbest thing I read on these forums in months. (Well, let me take that back...in the last 2 hours at least, because there is even more moronic stuff posted on the Anime spoilers section now constantly)

How is Ash going through Hoenn "blindly" and any different than in Kanto/Johto? Hello? Ash hasn't lost his passion for battles or participating in leagues, it's a continuation of his story. I am perplexed.

but the main character should actually have a plot, and it doesn't.

???

The characters have changed too much:
Ash is no longer an idiot, which made it more amusing to watch.

As opposed to him constantly being an idiot? The whole point of AG was to show how much Ash grew as a trainer and was moved into a mentor role once May/Max were introduced...and later on Hikari. He's not the newbie in the group anymore, so why should he go back to being an idiot?

The characters can no longer lose, not that they should lose all the time, but it adds better twists.

Ash lost to Brawly, in the Wattson rematch to Manectric, to Drake, to Tyson, and a number of times in Battle Frontier which involve spoilers.

May lost her first Contest, lost the one in Rubello town, lost the Grand Festival, lost to Harley, lost the Kanto GF, and lost to Drew AGAIN after that.

The reason she doesn't lose more is because the writers aren't going to constantly make more Contest episodes than they have to.

I thought when May missed that boat to the contest on the island (I'm too lazy to find out the name <_<) I thought that something bad finally happened. Then, convieniently, that guy in the mini-boat was there to take them.

It would be worst writing to have all that buildup of May being a coordinator throughout Hoenn and not even let her participate in the league. What that episode did is show that May doesn't have a bigger fetish for her Contests than the love of her brother, which was pretty much what the episode was about.

The older seasons were the best, and I hope that someday, PUSA will realise that, and make them better than they are right now.

PUSA doesn't write the episodes, Johto was horrible, AG is more or less on part with Kanto, (it's only longer so the worse episodes are more noticeable), and D/P is pretty much the same quality as AG.

Redsoxpsyco

SarahPalinClubsSeals
As opposed to him constantly being an idiot? The whole point of AG was to show how much Ash grew as a trainer and was moved into a mentor role once May/Max were introduced...and later on Hikari. He's not the newbie in the group anymore, so why should he go back to being an idiot?

You can be an idiot without being a newbie. Look at me, I'm not a newbie to pokemon, but as you can clearly see, I'm an idiot. (I even re-read my post later after typing it and went "...what?") I probably should have rephrased it so it would make sense to...anybody. <_< What I meant was that I missed the old Ash, the one who's ready to battle anyone, the one who's always energetic (unless he's hungry). He just seems too different to me now, too quiet and mellow, and in the episodes I've seen, he could've been killed off and it wouldn't have changed anything, cause he didn't do anything.

As I said in my last post. This is an observation from someone who doesn't doesn't watch that often. Every episode that I've seen, they're walking through a forest of some kind, and they come upon a pokemon or some person who needs help with something, and them helping is the whole episode. but I guess I was just unlucky enough to have ended up watching only the shitty episodes.

I never said that they should lose alot of the time, it's just that from the episodes I've seen, nothing bad happened to them at all...(unless you count getting flattened by a Donphan). I inferred that the island contest was the final contest, and I was wrong. If it were the final contest, therefore being near the end of the AG season, I think it would've been better writing to have May not be able to reach the island, and then that would give an excuse for the writers to have her and Max travel back home to train until the next series of contests took place.

PUSA doesn't write the episodes.
...okay...I really don't have an excuse for that one. That was just me not knowing that.

This was quite possibly the dumbest thing I read on these forums in months. (Well, let me take that back...in the last 2 hours at least, because there is even more moronic stuff posted on the Anime spoilers section now constantly)
Wow, I can't remember the last time I was compared to them x_x I really DO feel like a moron.

How is Ash going through Hoenn "blindly" and any different than in Kanto/Johto? Hello? Ash hasn't lost his passion for battles or participating in leagues, it's a continuation of his story. I am perplexed.

???

Ash lost to Brawly, in the Wattson rematch to Manectric, to Drake, to Tyson, and a number of times in Battle Frontier which involve spoilers.

May lost her first Contest, lost the one in Rubello town, lost the Grand Festival, lost to Harley, lost the Kanto GF, and lost to Drew AGAIN after that.

The reason she doesn't lose more is because the writers aren't going to constantly make more Contest episodes than they have to.

It would be worst writing to have all that buildup of May being a coordinator throughout Hoenn and not even let her participate in the league. What that episode did is show that May doesn't have a bigger fetish for her Contests than the love of her brother, which was pretty much what the episode was about.

PUSA doesn't write the episodes, Johto was horrible, AG is more or less on part with Kanto, (it's only longer so the worse episodes are more noticeable), and D/P is pretty much the same quality as AG.

don't forget,he lose to norman the first try,lost to drake(hoeun)that trainer from the orange islands(charizard episode) and more.clearly you should watch the show for the value of it,rather than trying to find every mistake in it and making it look bad.all animes have their flaws but yet,people want to talk about how repetitive pokemon is.redsoxpsyco watch battle frontier please!!!

Last edited:
I liked Kanto the most :D Misty was sooooo funny lolol I'm glad Brock's still here, becaus I think the show wasn't as funny when Misty leaved. May and Hikari are too girly!! I see girls like them in my private school everyday!!! Misty was had a really unike (Sp??) personality, and she was my favrite part of the show. I wish she wuold come back forever. I liked the Chronices episodes the best...because they showed us a lot of Misty lololol :D

Drone

Quoted for the truth. The old episodes were my fave. In fact that was the only reason I got Boomerang (though I don't have it anymore). I remember staying up late to watch it. The newer episodes aren't...entertaining as the old ones anymore. I mean the plot is starting to get recycled. I'm not saying it sucks but it's not very entertaining anymore.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Some people would say it has gone downhill... It is VERY repetitive... And I stopped enjoying it fully after the Groudon and Kyogre screw up...

But overall, 20 years from now, I'm still going to remember the episode when May met Drew, the GF and leagues, EVERYTHING... Okay, so not EVERYTHING, but I will remember it for what it was. An enjoyable series. Whether you like it or not, this anime is what will give us some memories of Pokemon from now on.

robbybevard

Sandshrew fan
Pokemon is good as a piece of escapist entertainment. If you watch it, going in with the expectation that you'll see some characters you enjoy checking in on from time to time, then its all good, and the series is the same as it ever was. it has highs and lows, as they rotate the pokemon, some have better personalities than others and are more fun to watch. Ash's current team for instance, is pretty boring... But Brock has one of the best pokes EVER!

So, it varies. But its still about the same consistency of just checking in on characters having fun. If thats all you want from it, it totally works.

Pokemon was never great in the first place.

then how come your on here then ?btw so is any other anime out there .robby has a point too.theres a certain aspect of the show that viewers like to see,now about the team rocket thing,their trademark characters like pikachu,ash,ect so of course their gonna be in every episode because the viewers like team rocket.so if you have a problem with the so called repetiveness,don't watch pokemon anymore and watch some other repetitvie anime or t.v. show.

Last edited:

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー