• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did Pokemon go Downhill?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
You know, sometimes I find the anti-Kanto people just as annoying as the pro-Kanto people.

The 1st season WAS a great season. The writers just changed the way they write battles and gave the Pokemon better personalities as time went on. The only reason Kanto seemed so different is because back then the writers had no idea the anime would last as long as it did.

I know some of my posts make it sound like I hate the 1st season, but that couldn't be further from the truth. It was an excellent season but it gets blown out of proportion by the nostalgia freaks more often than not.

And then of course we have people like Gabster, saying how much it sucked. I guess that's because his precious Lance wasn't in that season, AMIRITE?

masterarcher

Pokemon, if anything, has gotten less corny as it has gone on.

And while you may not like contests and Haruka, you still have to appreciate that they added SOMETHING to actually spice the anime up. Without them, we'd have had another Johto.

Yes, they did add some spices but in doing so, they destroyed the ones that were already in. They could have made the show more about battles and started a really tough journey, involve legendaries more into the show, create a grand war around with Team Magma, Aqua and Rocket with Ash and co. around it.

The show could have been made such that it showed the hardships in the pokeland instead of making it all the same again, just with different characters/dresses. The show has been of the same quality overall but, that's what is meant by going downhill if you ask me. If someone is given the same old wine again in a new bottle, the person will surely dislike it.

The show has gone downhill because nothing new has been shown. Why was Kanto the best you ask me? Well, because it suited the characters back then as they were still small in age. And why are the newer seasons not watched/disliked by many? Simply because it doesn't suit them any longer and
the show has given nothing of what it promised back in 1998.

P.S: I always thought that you liked Kanto, Cybercubed.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
And why are the newer seasons not watched/disliked by many? Simply because it doesn't suit them any longer and
the show has given nothing of what it promised back in 1998.

How exactly are the newer seasons disliked by many?

Last I checked, the majority of people who stopped watching the show did it during the Johto era, because boring filler drove people away.

The majority of people here loved AG and D/P, the ratings on KidsWB and Cartoon Network were through the roof each and every season, and it does well in Japan.

Last I checked, the majority of people who stopped watching the show did it during the Johto era, because boring filler drove people away.

Ooo ME! Thats definitely me. xD I got THAT bored of Johto, and stopped watching the show for the whole season.

But, one day randomly, I turned on the TV and saw that Pokemon was on, with this new girl, who was May. And I was like "Dude..its still going on?" And AG really interested me, so I got into Pokemon again.

Pokemon certainly didn't go downhill. AG totally helped it, and D/P looks like its gonna be great too.

Rex Kamex

Kanto had no plot like the one they made in the Hoenn season! It got so boring to see Ash go on some stupid adventure with his friends.

Satoshi already said this but...

In Kanto, Ash was training his Pokemon and collecting badges.
In Hoenn, Ash was training his Pokemon and collecting badges.
In Kanto, Team Rocket was trying to steal Ash's Pikachu.
In Hoenn, Team Rocket was tring to steal Ash's Pikachu.

The difference was that in Kanto, Ash and Team Rocket began to do those things, and in Hoenn, Ash and Team Rocket continued to do those things. Still, Hoenn and Kanto were even similar in the fact that Ash started with just Pikachu!

The biggest difference with Kanto and Hoenn in general was that Hoenn introduced contests, which was a second "token-collecting" quest.

Lil Brother

Just kinda there.
Ooo ME! Thats definitely me. xD I got THAT bored of Johto, and stopped watching the show for the whole season.

But, one day randomly, I turned on the TV and saw that Pokemon was on, with this new girl, who was May. And I was like "Dude..its still going on?" And AG really interested me, so I got into Pokemon again.

Pokemon certainly didn't go downhill. AG totally helped it, and D/P looks like its gonna be great too.
Looooots of people did that. I did that. Make a poll asking if anyone did that, and you'll get loads of replies.

It's kind of weird how so many people did the same thing, isn't it? XD

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Looooots of people did that. I did that. Make a poll asking if anyone did that, and you'll get loads of replies.

Well it's only natural that many people got bored of the filler in Johto and stopped watching the show.

When they turned the show back on just to see what was going on and saw Misty gone and May/Max there, they were shocked and wanted to watch the show to find out what happened. And then of course, the good writing during AG is what kept these people in the anime instead of them quitting again.

It's what proves my point that the show lost fans in the Johto era but the AG series revived it by helping to bring some of these people back.

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon

Crap. The same thing happened with me. I stopped watching during Johto, then saw a promo advertising AG and I got into the Pokemon anime all over again.

+Rhapsody+

DELETE DELETE
masterarcher said:
Yes, they did add some spices but in doing so, they destroyed the ones that were already in. They could have made the show more about battles and started a really tough journey, involve legendaries more into the show, create a grand war around with Team Magma, Aqua and Rocket with Ash and co. around it.

But did they do that? No. I was also expecting for them to encorporate some epic battle between everyhing you mentioned, and towards the beginning it certainly seemed as if this was so. Until we got to the final conflict with the legendaries and Teams, that is. It plunged downhill from there.

Now, looking back, I don't understand why I expected that much from the writers.

MGC CartoGuy said:
The difference was that in Kanto, Ash and Team Rocket began to do those things, and in Hoenn, Ash and Team Rocket continued to do those things. Still, Hoenn and Kanto were even similar in the fact that Ash started with just Pikachu!

I don't see any difference. D:

Super-Staff said:
Crap. The same thing happened with me. I stopped watching during Johto, then saw a promo advertising AG and I got into the Pokemon anime all over again.

And the same happened to me. Except after the "showdown" in Hoenn, I stopped watching once again.

I enjoyed it the most at the start but thats probally because I was youngest then. I have to say that adding May and contests was much more intresting that having a bunch of fillers in between Ash's gym battles and few captures. So I would say it actually got better but I just didn't enjoy it as much.

uber gon

Accept Change
If the plot holes of the series were resolved, I think Pokémon would be going uphill steadily.

Reign G

Roggen and Rolan
Though I never stopped watching the Anime, it did go downhill in Orange Islands, IMO. Johto brought it back up, into what I call the "Golden Age" of Pokemon. Sure, people stopped watching it, but it was the best season, IMO.

Yes I just said Johto was the best season. Everyone has thir own opinions, people.

What I think is the biggest cause of it going downhill is the loss of Pokemon. Ash has claimed to come back for Pidgeot. And since that, he has stopped in Pallet, and thus, by Pidgeot, 4 times. I see no sign of Pidgeot. Also, although I admit Butterfree left because it was needed, as it was instinct, I wish Butterfree would come back. And, I dunno, give Oka the Pink Butterfree and the Caterpie sure to come. And, in Battle Frontier, he traveled to Saffron, where, as the locations are similar to the games, the Dojo is. He could have gotten Primeape back, as it only had two episodes. And in Johto, they saw the Lapras Pod again, Ash could have gotten Lapras. And while in Battle Frontier they could have stopped and gotten Squirtle back.

So, I believe it's going downhill because, although Ash has promised many times to get back his Pokemon, he never has.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Though I don't like Ash's new voice... but I guess these episodes now are better than those of Johto.

These episodes now aren't just "better" than Johto, they're comparable in quality with Season 1.

Hoenn used to be considered the best season of Pokemon since Kanto, until Battle Frontier came along and was even better.

AG as a whole was fantastic, and I feel sorry for those of you who were too busy moaning and groaning about Misty to enjoy it.

Reign G

Roggen and Rolan
Tell me abnout it. >.> Poeple were too dissapointed about Misty leaving to enjoy AG. I was glad she was leaving. She is UH-GLY. Anyway...Yeah...

Aw, Misty isn't ugly. She just wasn't obsessed with her looks, and she was a little tomboyish, thats all.

But I agree with the people who still complain over Misty leaving. I mean, come on now. =\

Jorah

What do I put here?

Haha, I stopped watching at Johto too, and it drove me completly out of Pokemon once I finished my Silver game, so I've been completly out of Pokemon for about 3/4/5 years, can't remember exactly how long. But then I got back into it through watching Hoenn episodes, which made me buy the new games :D

+Rhapsody+

DELETE DELETE
CyberCubed said:
AG as a whole was fantastic, and I feel sorry for those of you who were too busy moaning and groaning about Misty to enjoy it.

I was LOLing at those people because I didn't care either way. But seriously, some fans should consider taking in the series as a whole instead of focusing on only those details, which don't matter much anyways.

masterarcher

How exactly are the newer seasons disliked by many?

The majority of people here loved AG and D/P, the ratings on KidsWB and Cartoon Network were through the roof each and every season, and it does well in Japan.

Ok, so, I can't exactly answer your first question for I still watch the show and pretty much like it except for some excerpts. But, many of pokemon fans I know don't watch the show anymore and even when they get to see some AG epis, they don't or they don't refrain from saying it sucked after the episode is over. So, I guess that does mean many people do dislike the newer seasons and actually I meant all seasons after Kanto by newer seasons and that included Johto too(you have no questions about Johto ruining Pokemon, do you?).

As for people loving AG and D/P, well, newer viewers have arrived and the new generation of kids has no reason not to like the newer seasons. I guess the older fans are just acting stubborn or they feel like they have been cheated by the writers. Or, it could simply be the case of "No matter how many sages come, all have their ears pierced!" which is true in pokemon due to the repetitive storyline.

Now, about Moaning about Misty and not enjoying AG, well, taking Misty out for some episodes wasn't a bad idea actually for she needed some rebuilding after Johto but she should have returned and maybe returned as a strong trainer, prolly as a rival of Ash too.

Actually, there was more to mourn about than just Misty for the show basically repeated the same thing except for the contest part and allowing the female character take part in Battles and be more active. I hate remembering how the show promised more of Gary Vs. Ash at the outset of Johto but never actually gave priority to it and how Ash never returned to get most of his pokemons back when he promised to do so.

The show should have included more of the epic battles and show some hardships of pokemon universe as I stated before. Unfortunately, the writers don't seem to have enough courage to break the unwritten rule of anime "Never have more than one girl as a major character but always have more girls as side characters" and due to it, they have missed many opportunities.

If you ask me, the writers are too stubborn to accept their faults and correct those while keeping the same characters. So, Instead of making up for mistakes on the same storyline, they adopt the policy of a restart and redo everything, this time with newer characters. The show will still be watched by newer generations and those of us which love the show/are obsessed with it or those who can find no better anime but it will never reach the true potential that a strong idea like pokemon can.