• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did Serena and Clemont even like each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!
They both cared about Bonnie and obviously care about Ash (although Serena had a fangirl crush on him), but I don't think I remember the two interacting directly. They didn't outright hate each other from what I recall, but it seems like they were acquaintances who were friends with the same guy.

DatsRight

They did feel like two characters that didn't really have a lot in common, and only really were aligned through Ash. Like they had a few succinct nice moments together, but that was it.

It's a shame really, because I feel if they had played on this deliberately and developed on it, they might have had an interesting plot going.

Granted I don't think Ash and Bonnie really interacted a whole lot either.

Leonhart

Imagineer
They might not have interacted much, but I considered them to be friends in the sense that they were amiable towards each other. It's not like the way that Koharu treats Satoshi for instance where she barely acknowledges him and treats him with neutrality.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
C'mon, guys, not this again...

Of course they did like each other, cared for each other and see themselves as good friends. The lack of focus on them interacting during the episodes only means... The show wanted to focus on other points of their characters, other dynamics they had with either Ash or other characters. Give or take, like or hate.

To be honest, I don't get this need of "we need x episodes of them doing stuff together or having y dynamic otherwise this cast fails forever". Character dynamics can work when they are subdued or just implied. And it's not wrong if not everyone in the cast has a meaningful interaction.

DatsRight

It kinda fit in terms of the action hero dynamic really, with Clemont being the nerdy tech sidekick and Serena being the feminine love interest. The latter is rarely ever that interested with the former. You see Serena's responses to most of Clemont's technology and it's apparent it's kind of just a alien thing to her (even if they thankfully never take the route of making Serena the bullying cheerleader towards the school nerd).

Again it's something that could have been cool to play off of if they actually delved into it a little. I feel like XY never often broke from standard archetypes, so dynamics felt a bit vapid. They could have done more action hero deconstructions.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
They do but the XY series wanted to focus way more on Ash and their relationship towards him. Of course, Serena and Clemont also interacted more towards Bonnie because of their sister-like & brother-sister relationships respectively.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
C'mon, guys, not this again...

Of course they did like each other, cared for each other and see themselves as good friends. The lack of focus on them interacting during the episodes only means... The show wanted to focus on other points of their characters, other dynamics they had with either Ash or other characters. Give or take, like or hate.

To be honest, I don't get this need of "we need x episodes of them doing stuff together or having y dynamic otherwise this cast fails forever". Character dynamics can work when they are subdued or just implied. And it's not wrong if not everyone in the cast has a meaningful interaction.
Yeah, i don’t think having a dedicated episode for every two main characters is required.

Honestly i don’t think even brock had that much connection with girls. Maybe more with misty? But even that feels mostly just brock’s gag.

Cilan and iris i think actually had more interaction? Probably because they were trying to remake kanto.

XY had ash in the center, and just mostly just friendly and pleasant atmosphere all around with little to no meaner teasing between them.

SM obviously had the most varied group dynamic due to the nature of the show and the structure of the group.

And journeys is the ash and goh show, with chloe actually feeling barely connected to both of them.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Yeah they're friends even though they barely interacted with each other. Tbh I think I liked their interactions whenever they did interact with each other alot more than her interactions with Ash.

We call it firends via other friends. It was similar with brock and may and dawn.

Did Tracy and Misty have any meaningful interactions?

Yeah in the specials, they have multiple episodes in which they have a lot of interactions.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Cmon not this. They definitely are friends lol, they travelled a whole region together. I would have liked them to atleast have some interaction in atleast one episode. Tracey Misty had tons of interactions where misty yelled at him or they bickered, sure they didn't get much but they had moments here and there. Brock looked after May and Dawn, offered them advices on contests and played the adult role with all the cooking and everything, something even Clermont did but which wasn't used much at all in regards to his group dynamics.
So people bringing up them as a way to deflect the criticisms is pretty cringe

Leonhart

Imagineer
They do but the XY series wanted to focus way more on Ash and their relationship towards him. Of course, Serena and Clemont also interacted more towards Bonnie because of their sister-like & brother-sister relationships respectively.
I actually got the feeling that they might've purposely limited Serena's interactions with Citron because they didn't want to distract from Serena's interactions with Satoshi.

Status
Not open for further replies.