• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did the (false) rumor of PokeGods in the 90’s &/or Digimon inspire the concept of Mega Evolution?

SWMegaFan

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now. I’ve done a couple of Google searches for answers, & though I found some articles on this subject matter, I thought perhaps that we can have a discussion on this.

Here are my thoughts as to why I put PokeGods & Digimon on the subject line:

PokeGods - even though it turned out to be completely false, the infamous rumor was that there were further evolutions for Pokemon such as Venusaur, Charizard & Blastoise that one could uncover in Pokemon Red, Blue & Yellow (whether following certain steps and/or via the use of a cheating device). Well, come years later when the Gen 6 games came out, we were introduced to the mechanic of Mega Evolution which did allow for these starter final evolutions to evolve further (albeit temporarily & in battle).

Digimon - in this franchise, the creatures known as Digimon could transform & evolve into an upgraded form, known as ”Digivolving” (note: some people may make the claim that this evolving concept was actually “stolen” from Pokemon but that’s another topic for another time, & for another thread). In many cases, these evolutions were just temporary & the Digimon would almost always revert back into their “Rookie form” after being involved in a battle (it’s been a while since I’ve followed Digimon so someone correct me if I’m wrong). This temporary evolution mechanic is not too far off from the Mega Evolution mechanic we have now with certain Pokemon; heck, even the Pokemon trainer uses a device worn on the wrist, just like in Digimon, that allows for their Pokemon to temporarily be in this Mega-evolved form.

You’re more that welcome to provide links on this subject, or if you just wanna comment with speculation & theory.

Last edited:

BCVM22

No.

If the question is ever "did [rumor] inspire [anything besides more annoyance]?" the answer is always no. And beyond that, Digimon didn't invent the concept of a temporary powered-up form change in battle. Nor did Dragon Ball with Super Saiyans, nor did any of the other genre examples that come immediately to mind.

PirateKing

I think it’s possible. Game freak has actually taken inspiration from fan rumors before, with the biggest being the way we fight Deoxys in ORAS was from rumors in the RSE days where we could fly into space to battle him.
Power Ups like Digivolution, Super Saiyan, etc. are pretty popular tropes, especially around the 90s and early 2000s, so it’s not a stretch to think Gamefreak took some inspiration from those ideas and kept them aside for when they thought it would make the most sense.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
No.

If the question is ever "did [rumor] inspire [anything besides more annoyance]?" the answer is always no. And beyond that, Digimon didn't invent the concept of a temporary powered-up form change in battle. Nor did Dragon Ball with Super Saiyans, nor did any of the other genre examples that come immediately to mind.
I dunno, the ORAS Deoxys fight feels like the old rumor that you get Deoxys in space. Or does that not count because it's the moon specifically

BCVM22

I dunno, the ORAS Deoxys fight feels like the old rumor that you get Deoxys in space.

I think it and everything else in this thread are far more wishful connecting of the dots than anything else. "This thing sounds vaguely like that one rumor from years ago, I bet they're connected!" I'm sure it "feels" like... whatever that rumor was, but doesn't the simpler possibility make far more sense, minus the stretching? In the context of these modern games where the developers have more leeway to do things like story events, doesn't it make more sense to assume that it was simply a logical progression for them to say "let's take the player character into space where they fight Deoxys as it emerges from an asteroid," as opposed to them saying, specifically, "let's base this scenario on that Internet rumor from a decade ago"? I'm not saying the two can't be similar, but I am saying they can be similar because the 2003 rumor fanfiction mongers and the modern scenario writers have the same idea based on the same Pokémon, completely independently of one another.

When you spell the topic out as it's written--

"I specifically believe the developers working on a game in 2011-2013 made an intentional creative decision to directly reference an Internet rumor from 1998/2003 and I believe this definitively enough to say so."

--it really doesn't hold up terribly well.