• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did they forget shiny pokemon exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Ok so out of the 22 seasons only one main character has had a shiny pokemon. I actually find that really odd. I mean people like shiny pokemon so it would be fun to actually have one on the main team every now and again. I know Noctowl was one but it was years later I even knew what shiny was and that was why it was odd looking.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Don't think they forgot. They appear occasionally to separate and/or signify importance to a POTD. (Latest was a Charjabug iirc). Just don't think they feel its that big of a phenomenon to warrant a special place on the main cast

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Ok so out of the 22 seasons only one main character has had a shiny pokemon. I actually find that really odd. I mean people like shiny pokemon so it would be fun to actually have one on the main team every now and again. I know Noctowl was one but it was years later I even knew what shiny was and that was why it was odd looking.
Yeah, pretty much this.

Plus, the Pokemon probably appear more varied in universe than they do to is, anyway.

VoltTacklingPika

Shiny Pokemon are exceptionally rare, aren't they? Wouldn't feel quite the same if they kept appearing and being owned by the cast.

Also, on the more meta side: Pokemon on the show have to be as recognisable as possible and the colour scheme is a big part of that.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
There have been quite a few Shiny Pokemon in the anime, with the latest one appearing in the XY series I think, I can't recall if any have appeared in SM, correct me if I'm wrong.
Here are some examples:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
There are shiny pokemon seen in every generation, so they haven't forgotten about shiny pokemon its more like no one in the main cast is catching a shiny pokemon except for the noctowl who was caught by ash becasue it was the first shiny pokemon to appear in the anime and they wantedto make it special.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Shinies are rare just like in the games, but sometimes they're tied with the COTD or are themselves POTD to set apart from their own species, like Ash's Hawlucha vs Shiny Hawlucha back in XY.

Personally, I don't really care about the lack of them, just like I don't invest my time to find them in the games.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Have you forgotten that Shiny Pokemon have appeared at least once per series?

Ash was given Noctowl for the sole purpose of introducing this new gimmick into the anime.

Now that Shiny Pokemon are a well-known concept, there's no reason for another main character to have one.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
There have been quite a few Shiny Pokemon in the anime, with the latest one appearing in the XY series I think, I can't recall if any have appeared in SM, correct me if I'm wrong.
Here are some examples:
Shiny Charjabug and Mimikyu (Mimi-Tan) appeared alongside the shiny Pikachu in that one Pikachu Valley episode.

DannyDiglett

As mentioned before, they don't forget shinies as seen in the Charjabug race episode and more recently that Pikachu episode. There's at least one in every series.

Speaking about shiny Pokémon in the animé, why do the makers recognize shiny Toxicroak as a regular coloured Toxicroak?

nickdt

There was also a Shiny Hawlucha and Phantump in XY.

And while technically it isn't a shiny, we had that alternate coloured Toxapex as well.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Shinies are meant to be rare so it makes sense they not being a common sight in the show.

But that said, the series is somewhat consistent on at least showing one every series.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
What they should have done is make Amelia and her shiny Dragonair a recurring bitchrival like Ursula.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
We players rejoice around Shinies.

But I can't help feeling the anime massively undermines them beyond a simple "wow, it's got a different color!" but never make a bigger deal like "I want to catch one!"

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
We players rejoice around Shinies.

But I can't help feeling the anime massively undermines them beyond a simple "wow, it's got a different color!" but never make a bigger deal like "I want to catch one!"
I feel that's more realistic though in the anime-universe considering that it's not a game and therefore a game accomplishment to catch one. Btw, as a bit of a side note here, I've actually never understood the big deal in the game either.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I feel that's more realistic though in the anime-universe considering that it's not a game and therefore a game accomplishment to catch one. Btw, as a bit of a side note here, I've actually never understood the big deal in the game either.
There's something wrong if even TRio doesn't want to catch one. You'd think it'd be a really exotic catch for "the boss" but...

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
There's something wrong if even TRio doesn't want to catch one. You'd think it'd be a really exotic catch for "the boss" but...
The gag with the TRio is that they like to catch Pokémon they think are rare, but they're not actually rare. It wouldn't make sense for them to actually be correct in what they think is rare.

raichu27

I also remember a shiny Magneton, Phantump, Dragonair, Onix, Ditto, Gyarados, and Druddigon on the show. One of the movies also had a shiny Gengar, Genesect, legendary beasts, and Rayquaza.

It would still be cool to see a few more other shinies like Grimer.

Status
Not open for further replies.