• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did you ever trade/battle in Gen I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChloboShoka

Writer
Before getting my cable, I've only ever traded once when I was in school. I can't remember what it was for, but I know I got an oddish out of it. My universal link cable came through the post today and I've been using it to trade between my gen 1 and 2 games.

TherianForm

King of TM87
I never did traded in Gen I, could never find a cable D:

Kalosian

So long
I traded when it was necessary, like when I had to evolve a Pokemon that evolved through trade, get a Pokemon to one game that was exclusive to another, or just trading from one game to another just to get a certain Pokemon to another game.

Master Leo

The Dark Side
My first friend that lived in my apartment complex had a link cable. I think we only traded twice Gen 1 to Gen 1, but we traded a lot of Gen 1 to Gen 2.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Oh yes, I've traded quite a bit in the first generation. Half of it happened with a neighbor, half of it with my brothers. Well... trading was more with the neighbor, and battling happened with my brothers. I don't remember using the cable at school at all, and trading with my other friends didn't happen until Generation II.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I've traded exactly one time, between my Yellow and Gold. I did this just this year.

I did not trade when I was younger because I didn't own any link cables. By the time I got one, I was more focused on the Gen III games.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Through a link cable, a few times when the game was released and it was semi-popular. But it was just a fad to the other people who bought it, and never lasted long with them. Most of the battling I did was through PBS (Pokemon Battle Simulator) on Azure Heights.

Cutty

Forever now
I almost bought the cable in the past. I didn't do it, only my friend n I who played pokemon and he moved :/

ChloboShoka

Writer
I tested my link cable on my english blue and japanese green. After watching a video about it, I decided to try it out for myself. I moved all my important pokemon to yellow and crystal. It's very glitchy, I'll tell you that. After many cases of trial and error, I ended up with a glitchy nidoran, skyther and lapras. My green save file deleted itself eventually. The missingos/glitchy pokemon won't trade on gen 2 games btw.

I thought it was quite fun and interesting. Although I won't use the cable on green until I have a japanese game to trade with.

Mew_2

I got a yellow and a blue in the mail yesterday, and the link cable I bought came in today, I planed on trading a meowth from blue to yellow but the cable won't fit into my GBA SP, I was told that you need an original gameboy cable except that won't work.
Can someone Please help me.

VictoriousVictini

Victory League Owner
Nope, never traded with my Gameboy, always wanted to though. Could never find a link cable..

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I was too young to understand all of this cable stuff, but I did battle once with my cousin. He had the cables and we pretty much had no idea what we were doing.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
No cable, no trading.

I did get a Game Boy Advanced Cable. I tried to trade from Blue to Crystal on the GBA, but alas, Nintendo changed the cable standards, so it didn't work. :(

LadyDae

If I recall, it was too much trouble and no one I knew was into it when I was playing. So I never traded or battled.

Hassamugarura

クサイハナ
Wat. Cables weren't that hard to get...I have like 3 lying around. Traded and battled quite a bit with friends when I was young.

-Nator-

I remember trading occasionally, but never battling because of the very broken mechanics.
I have my Gameboy, but sadly the link cable was lost long ago...

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I did, but not at first. I had a link cable and everything, but I was so young that I didn't even know that you could connect with other games. I finally found out and I battled my neighbor. I lost the battle, but it was fun to battle someone real instead of just the computer. I also traded some Pokemon in order to fill my Pokedex.

SkinnySweatyMan

I did trade but not very often. In high school, a couple of my friends and I started to play again, and we would battle against each other. None of us really liked the third generation games (plus, I didn't even have a GBA) and the fourth generation games weren't out yet, so we had RBY and GSC battles, but mostly RBY. I remember a few times when we played during lunch at school and some people were making fun of us, but once they stopped to do so, they would watch our battles until it was time to go to class again. Good times.

I remember trading a bit in Gen 1. I also remember battling this kid down the street all the time. I had a high level Venusaur, but his Nidoqueen would always beat me.

Status
Not open for further replies.