• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did you ever try to catch another trainer's Pokémon?

Have you ever tried to catch another trainer's Pokémon?

• Yes, I try it all the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only with a cheat.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but when I was a kid.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No, I'm a good law-abiding trainer.

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Theft is a crime - even in Pokémon. There's a reason why you can't catch other people's Pokémon; they were caught by that person, and you can't go around like Team Rocket stealing what's rightfully theirs. However, some of us have tried it anyway, and even succeeded (with a cheat).

Did you ever try to catch other people's Pokémon, despite the game clearly warning you not to? I may have done so a few times when I was younger, when I was new to the games and didn't yet know all the mechanics. It was either in Yellow or Silver, and I don't remember whose Pokémon I tried to catch (luckily...) ;)

I don't include Colosseum or XD: Gale of Darkness in this discussion, as those games let you catch (or "snag") other people's Pokémon legally.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Yep. Lance's Dragonite. Got a good laugh from the competition Game Freak had for one where they gave it away. They knew that we tried to get it! :p

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I could cheat and say "yes, I succeeded in Colosseum and XD". But to be serious? A few times, out of curiosity and absent-mindedness

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yes, I did try just to see what happened.
"Hey, don't be a thief!"
That was the text appearing on the screen when you tried, as far as I can remember.

I think it actually said something like, “The trainer blocked the ball. Don’t be a thief.” Not sure if it changed in the newer games.

It’s happened a few times in the anime as well; Misty once tried to catch a Marill, but it failed, because that Marill already had a trainer. I think it was more of a mistake than intentional attempted theft, however.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I did when I was a kid and thought it would be funny to try. Haven't tried it outside of the Gen 1 games, though.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I play with the Italian version, so the texts are probably different.

According to my good friend Google Translate:

L'allenatore ha bloccato la palla. Non essere un ladro.

So it’d be something like that?

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Once just because I was curious, and then one more time recently but it was a mistake since I wasn't paying attention to the item menu when I was selecting items to use in a battle.