• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did you get one?

Did you get one?

• Yes

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/shakespeares_sister/shakes6/wd4-6.jpg[/IMG139]​
Okay, as many of those on this site know, I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Over the course of November we had a campaign do distribute the above publication. I was just curious how many people actually got one.

ebevan91

No but I do have a question.

Do JWs not celebrate any holidays at all? Even their birthday?

Back when I was in school, around 5th grade, I had a friend who was a JW, and he wasn't allowed to celebrate Independence Day, Thanksgiving, his own birthday, or anything. The kid would just sit in the corner all by himself when the class was doing activities that related holidays.

KyuremFreeze

Hello, b0ss
Unfortunatley, yes. i texted it to my dad, he laughed. i posted about it on facebok. all of my friends laughed in school the next day. be proud, you brought a laugh to many faces.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
No but I do have a question.

Do JWs not celebrate any holidays at all? Even their birthday?

Back when I was in school, around 5th grade, I had a friend who was a JW, and he wasn't allowed to celebrate Independence Day, Thanksgiving, his own birthday, or anything. The kid would just sit in the corner all by himself when the class was doing activities that related holidays.

Well, most of the main, recognized across the country holidays, no we don't. Most people don't know why we don't or don't care. I'll take the ones you mentioned.

Independence Day: One of the main things that sets us apart from other religions is that we don't support war in any way, shape or form. So to us, celebrating Independence Day is like saying "We don't condone war, but sure we'll party it up to celebrate the date we won a war"

Thanksgiving: Well, it really depends on what you count as celebrating this holiday. If its just having some good food with some of of your family and friends, we don't have a problem with that. We actually try to do that as much as possible, not just once a year on a specific date. But, the tricky thing is with thanksgiving is that it doesn't really have any one set origin, its more of a mishmash of a bunch of things, and one of them being, giving thanks for victories at war, at which point we have the same problem as Independence Day. So if people acknowledge that we aren't condoning war, then yeah, we like food. But we tend to stay away from turkey on that specific day just so there's no confusion, but that doesn't mean we can't eat turkey other times of the year XD

Birthdays: Well...No we do not celebrate birthdays, but that one is a bit of a long explanation. I'll try to sum it up quickly. Aside from the fact that it kind of teaches kids to be selfish, original birthday celebrations were not of christian origin. If fact, birthday celebrations are only mentioned twice in the Bible, and in both instances, nothing good happened.(I know someone was executed just for fun in one of them, and I think in the other too, but I'm not certain.) And no, Christmas is not one of those celebrations, it is not recorded in the Bible.
So no, while we do not have Birthday parties, we don't have a problem with giving gifts to people. If fact we do that whenever we want. And at least for me personally, I like it a lot more when someone gets me a gift just because they want to and not because they feel they have to. Why should gift-giving be restricted to a certain time of the year? If you really want to give someone a gift then just give it to them.

Now, there is one Holiday we do celebrate. Albeit, slightly different than other Religions. Easter is supposedly a celebration of Christ's being brought back to life. But there are 2 things that are (generally) incorrect about most Easter Celebrations. 1) The eggs and Rabbits are of a Non-Christian origin, so we avoid those. 2) Jesus said "keep doing this in remembrance of me." he was referring not to celebrating his resurrection, but celebrating his death.

I hope I have cleared things up a bit ^_^

Last edited:

Myrrh

I believe I got one or one similar to that one a few weeks ago. Guy who was going around houses giving them out was really nice and friendly and was interested in some of the plants we had near the door (he thought they were fake). I usually read through these things but that day I was doing something so I set it on a table for later, but I think one of my folks threw it away by now .-.

ebevan91

Well, most of the main, recognized across the country holidays, no we don't. Most people don't know why we don't or don't care. I'll take the ones you mentioned.

Independence Day: One of the main things that sets us apart from other religions is that we don't support war in any way, shape or form. So to us, celebrating Independence Day is like saying "We don't condone war, but sure we'll party it up to celebrate the date we won a war"

Thanksgiving: Well, it really depends on what you count as celebrating this holiday. If its just having some good food with some of of your family and friends, we don't have a problem with that. We actually try to do that as much as possible, not just once a year on a specific date. But, the tricky thing is with thanksgiving is that it doesn't really have any one set origin, its more of a mishmash of a bunch of thins, and one of them being, giving thanks for victories at war, at which point we have the same problem as Independence Day. So if people acknowledge that we aren't condoning war, then yeah, we like food. But we tend to stay away from turkey on that specific day just so there's no confusion, but that doesn't mean we can't eat turkey other times of the year XD

Birthdays: Well...No we do not celebrate birthdays, but that one is a bit of a long explanation. I'll try to sum it up quickly. Aside from the fact that it kind of teaches kids to be selfish, original birthday celebrations were not of christian origin. If fact, birthday celebrations are only mentioned twice in the Bible, and in both instances, nothing good happened.(I know someone was executed just for fun in one of them, and I think in the other too, but I'm not certain.) And no, Christmas is not one of those celebrations, it is not recorded in the Bible.
So no, while we do not have Birthday parties, we don't have a problem with giving gifts to people. If fact we do that whenever we want. And at least for me personally, I like it a lot more when someone gets me a gift just because they want to and not because they feel they have to. Why should gift-giving be restricted to a certain time of the year? If you really want to give someone a gift then just give it to them.

Now, there is one Holiday we do celebrate. Albeit, slightly different than other Religions. Easter is supposedly a celebration of Christ's being brought back to life. But there are 2 things that are (generally) incorrect about most Easter Celebrations. 1) The eggs and Rabbits are of a Non-Christian origin, so we avoid those. 2) Jesus said "keep doing this in remembrance of me." he was referring not to celebrating his resurrection, but celebrating his death.

I hope I have cleared things up a bit ^_^

Thanks for the clarification. I'll just stick to the religion I have right now lol.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Ok, I got some questions and I figured I'd reply to them here, so as to benefit the asker and any others who have a similar question.

Anonymous said:
there are so many things that are wrong with you explanation

Come on people, give me a specific here. If you want to ask a question anonymously, go ahead and use the rep system, and I will post the reply in this thread, but at least make your question clear.
(Not sure if this breaks the rule of abusing the rep system, but for the record, I am not asking for positive rep, i don't realy care if the question is in a positive or a negative rep comment, but positives are nice to get once and a while. If this does break the rule, I will edit this out of this post.)

Anonymous said:
just wondering, do know that this is aserious question. why are you one of jenovas witnesses? and do yu support people finding their religions themselves or those people who go around with pamplets and shtuff?

While yes I do respect other religions, I do go door to door telling people about the Bible. Now many people simply think that we give out our magazines and thats the end of it, but what we are really trying to do is show people what we have learned from our own studies of the Bible. Now, the main reason we believe this to be so important is that what we have learned is that a good chunk of the teaching taught in almost all christian religions, are just simply not found in the Bible. Now, people can still choose to believe those teachings(we won't stop you) but we do feel that people have the right to know that what they are being taught is not actually in the Bible, its mostly just traditions that were instituted after the Bible was completed. Now, what people do with the information we give them, is totally up to them, but we do feel that everyone has the right to know what the Bible actually says.

As to why I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses is that I do believe in the Bible and what it says. And I feel like everyone else has the right to know as well. So I go door to door(and there are other methods too) and tell people what I have learned. And there is a second reason why I go door to door. Jesus told his followers to “make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19, 20) When he sent out his early disciples, Jesus directed them to go to the homes of the people. (Matthew 10:7, 11-13) After Jesus’ death, first-century Christians continued to spread their message both “publicly and from house to house.” (Acts 5:42; 20:20) We follow the example of those early Christians and find that the door-to-door ministry is a good way to reach people. Do you see other Christians trying to follow this command?

Last edited:

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
someone threw one on my doorstep while my roommate and i were gone for thanksgiving. seems like a waste of paper if theyre gonna do that...

Pink Harzard

So majestic
I didn't got one. But maybe that's because I live in the Netherlands.

I remeber my dad telling me a story about a colleage who is JW. During my dads birthday, he gave to his colleages pie (a Dutch tradition) The JW rejected the pie so my dad says that he gave him it because the pie just tasts good. Then he accepted it.

Skydra

I didn't get one, but as long as I'm here I'll say that my answer is "no."

Ok, I got some questions and I figured I'd reply to them here, so as to benefit the asker and any others who have a similar question.
While yes I do respect other religions, I do go door to door telling people about the Bible. Now many people simply think that we give out our magazines and thats the end of it, but what we are really trying to do is show people what we have learned from our own studies of the Bible. Now, the main reason we believe this to be so important is that what we have learned is that a good chunk of the teaching taught in almost all christian religions, are just simply not found in the Bible. Now, people can still choose to believe those teachings(we won't stop you) but we do feel that people have the right to know that what they are being taught is not actually in the Bible, its mostly just traditions that were instituted after the Bible was completed. Now, what people do with the information we give them, is totally up to them, but we do feel that everyone has the right to know what the Bible actually says.

As to why I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses is that I do believe in the Bible and what it says. And I feel like everyone else has the right to know as well. So I go door to door(and there are other methods too) and tell people what I have learned. And there is a second reason why I go door to door. Jesus told his followers to “make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19, 20) When he sent out his early disciples, Jesus directed them to go to the homes of the people. (Matthew 10:7, 11-13) After Jesus’ death, first-century Christians continued to spread their message both “publicly and from house to house.” (Acts 5:42; 20:20) We follow the example of those early Christians and find that the door-to-door ministry is a good way to reach people. Do you see other Christians trying to follow this command?

Just a question; how do you decide what to believe from the Bible? I see other Christians following different commands from the Bible, and there are certainly other denominations who try to reach others with their beliefs. But the many ways people read the Bible and select what they want to believe from it, leads me ask how you figure out what the Bible means to you, since it can contradict itself or have some misinformation (granted, I know that many denominations look at the Old and New Testament differently).

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
I didn't got one. But maybe that's because I live in the Netherlands.

I remeber my dad telling me a story about a colleage who is JW. During my dads birthday, he gave to his colleages pie (a Dutch tradition) The JW rejected the pie so my dad says that he gave him it because the pie just tasts good. Then he accepted it.
Ok, before I say anything I would like to say that I am not familiar with this tradition, the other guy most likely knew something that I don't.
It's mainly like I said, we have no problem with gift-giving. Its when things have origins that have ties to things that we don't get involved with. Now, If it were me in that position, I may not have accepted it, just because I was not familiar with the tradition, but if the guy just wanted to give me a pie because, hey its pie, then I would love to accept it.

I didn't get one, but as long as I'm here I'll say that my answer is "no."

Just a question; how do you decide what to believe from the Bible? I see other Christians following different commands from the Bible, and there are certainly other denominations who try to reach others with their beliefs. But the many ways people read the Bible and select what they want to believe from it, leads me ask how you figure out what the Bible means to you, since it can contradict itself or have some misinformation (granted, I know that many denominations look at the Old and New Testament differently).
This is a question I've been getting a lot lately. I personally only know of one other religion that really tries to contact people, but I'm sure there are others, but there are the minority.
As to what we decide to believe about the Bible, over the course of our studies, it is obvious to us that, the Bible really isn't something that has many interpretations. Most of the things that differentiate the many denominations of Christianity, are not really in the Bible, but just traditions that came after the Bible's completion. A quick google search would yield the fact that the Trinity doctrine came into existence centuries after the Bibles completion. Some may think that this is a rare occurrence, but it really is more of the rule, than the exception. Similar things have happened with almost all of the doctrines that Christianity is known for. Hellfire, Immortality of the soul, Use of the Cross in Worship, Christmas celebrations, etc, etc. All of these doctrines came into existence centuries after the Bibles completion. Once you get rid of those, then the Bible is really is not something that can be taken a million different ways. Another big reason, is that we use gods name. Very few religions even acknowledge it let alone use it.

For anyone who is wondering, take a look in the second link in my sig. It has several questions to questions that people have about the Bible, and take a look at them and compare they answer given to what other doctrines teach, and you tell me, which answer you think most accurately conveys what was written in the actual text.
Here are some questions that are answered there:
Is the Trinity Doctrine in the Bible?
Does God Have a Name?
What Does the Bible Say About Christmas?
When Was Jesus Born?
What Is Hell? Is It a Place of Eternal Torment?
What Happens When You Die?
What Is the Kingdom of God?
Are There Contradictions in the Bible?
Did Jesus Die on a Cross?

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
Nope, but I haven't seen our local Winesses in quite some time. I talked to them once (usually my mother will literally hide from them and pretend no one's home), took their literature, politely told them I was already a member of a Christian church and wasn't really interested. They proceeded to drop by every week for several weeks and ask for me even though I told them No. I understand their reasons for witnessing in the manner they do, but repeatedly showing up at someone's home when they have already expressed disinterest is kind of rude. They were very nice people but No means No.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Nope, but I haven't seen our local Winesses in quite some time. I talked to them once (usually my mother will literally hide from them and pretend no one's home), took their literature, politely told them I was already a member of a Christian church and wasn't really interested. They proceeded to drop by every week for several weeks and ask for me even though I told them No. I understand their reasons for witnessing in the manner they do, but repeatedly showing up at someone's home when they have already expressed disinterest is kind of rude. They were very nice people but No means No.
I'm sorry to hear that. Every week is over the top in my opinion, where I am, we go through the entire area and start over about once a year.
This is from our website under the question: Why Do You Call On People Who Already Have a Religion?
We’ve found that many people who already have a religion enjoy discussing Bible topics. Of course, we respect a person’s right to hold a belief different from ours, and we don’t force our message on others.

When discussing religion, we try to apply the Bible’s advice to do so with a “mild temper” and to show “deep respect” for the other person. (1 Peter 3:15) We expect that some will reject the message we bring. (Matthew 10:14) However, we don’t know how people will respond until we talk to them. We also realize that people’s circumstances change.

For example, a person may be too busy to talk one day but will gladly converse with us at another time. And people may face new problems or situations that they must deal with, moving them to take an interest in the Bible’s message. So we endeavor to talk to people on more than one occasion.

Like I said before, I do think that how often you were being called on was too much. We do respect peoples wishes, but on the same token, there are only so many doors out there for us to go to and then we have to start over again XD

Vernikova

Champion
[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/shakespeares_sister/shakes6/wd4-6.jpg[/IMG139]​
Okay, as many of those on this site know, I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Over the course of November we had a campaign do distribute the above publication. I was just curious how many people actually got one.

Yes, I got one while I was walking in Richmond Hill yesterday. Didn't see one in November though.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I didn't get one because the guy in our area refused a blood transfusion and died. Sucker

i didn't get one, but more importantly, is it usual for you to grow out your fingernails this much, ansem?

i think you'd really benefit from cutting your fingernails.

because how do you scratch your face currently? would you describe it as a painful experience? i imagine there's a lot of blood and/or acne. that can't be good for you, i know. i'm telling you ansem, you'll be better off if you start cutting your fingernails regularly.

real talk.

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
i didn't get one, but more importantly, is it usual for you to grow out your fingernails this much, ansem?

i think you'd really benefit from cutting your fingernails.

because how do you scratch your face currently? would you describe it as a painful experience? i imagine there's a lot of blood and/or acne. that can't be good for you, i know. i'm telling you ansem, you'll be better off if you start cutting your fingernails regularly.

real talk.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. I was hoping it was just some Google search image.

Status
Not open for further replies.