• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Did you like Gary Oak as a rival or Pokémon researcher?

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
He was a lot more fun when he was Ash's rival. Do we know why they made him turn into a researcher in the 1st place? Seemed so random back then...

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Neither, really.

As a rival, we barely got stuff out of him from Ash until at the last leg we found out they had these broken halves of a Poke Ball that was apparently deep to them, despite the fact we never found out about it prior. He was pretty static, being this guy making fun of Ash until they FINALLY fought each other...twice, I think. At the start and end of Johto.

As a researcher...he hardly exists. He got his PhD in record time.

I think he was written out like that to keep the Kanto callbacks to a minimum, because now apparently he wasn't that big of a deal in Ash's early childhood.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
He was a lot more fun when he was Ash's rival. Do we know why they made him turn into a researcher in the 1st place? Seemed so random back then...

I think it was done to give him closure of some sort. I suppose that they thought keeping him as a standard Pokemon trainer would leave his rivalry with Satoshi open-ended.

EmberFireTrainer

An anomaly
It was kind of random when Gary announced that he wanted to be a Pokémon researcher especially with hardly any hints if any. Even Ash was surprised by it lol.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The way I see, Gary was kind of inclined to follow the family business but resisted the idea tempted with the idea of getting even more prestige being a sucessful battler. Once he was knocked out earlier than Ash on Indigo League and then ultimately defeated on the Johto League, he figured battling might not be for him after all.

At least that's how I read it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Spider-Phoenix said:
The way I see, Gary was kind of inclined to follow the family business but resisted the idea tempted with the idea of getting even more prestige being a sucessful battler. Once he was knocked out earlier than Ash on Indigo League and then ultimately defeated on the Johto League, he figured battling might not be for him after all.

That's a rather strange train of thought for Shigeru in my view. I can see why him losing early in the Sekiei League might've hurt his pride, but he did very well in the Jouto League and was pretty much ahead of Satoshi as a trainer up until that point. Him giving up so easily would disappoint me.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerenaRulez said:
Maybe the writing staff should have dropped hints about Gary wanting to become a researcher in the Umbreon episode from the middle of Johto League Champions. :)

Either then or during the Pokemon Ride racing episode where Satoshi won the Gomazou egg. Perhaps even earlier than that like during Shigeru's return at the end of the Orange Archipelago arc.

EmberFireTrainer

An anomaly

I can definitely see how Gary was inclined to follow the family business and be a Pokémon researcher and follow in his grandfather's footsteps in being the next Professor Oak. That Gary chose to become a trainer as a way to gain prestige and make all of Pallet town proud and all that rather than doing so by becoming a Pokémon researcher from the start makes sense. I think Gary wanted to do his own thing, and eventually discover what his true passion of Pokémon was: studying and researching them.

His shift to become a Pokémon Researcher was sudden and surprising but the role actually suits him. He always seemed to know quite a bit about Pokémon even in Indigo League like in the episode "Dig those Digletts". So having a strong interest in studying Pokémon was no doubt always there.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
He sucked as a rival when it came down to competing against Ash but he was also great at it given how he got one of the most delicious character development there is in the show. As a researcher he is just very cool but I still prefer him as a trainer.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I didn't like that Gary had a change of heart about his goal because it seemed like he gave up being a normal trainer because he lost to Ash.

May be if there was better clues about him becoming a researcher before he lost at the Johto League it wouldn't have seemed that way.
Agreed it came out of nowhere. I wished they had him go on to just be the viridian gym leader as a closure for his arc

Leonhart

Imagineer
Flashyspark said:
May be if there was better clues about him becoming a researcher before he lost at the Johto League it wouldn't have seemed that way.

I keep thinking about what would've been the right time for him to make that decision, and frankly it only makes me wish that he'd appeared in EP081 at the party in Masara Town and told Satoshi about his new interest in researching at that time.

EmberFireTrainer

An anomaly
I really liked gary as a rival, I don't know why they made gary go the researchers route. I really liked his interaction with ash when he was ash's rival, but when he returned in Sinnoh gary kinda lacked that thing.
Yeah, Gary was definitely a lot more fun with his attitude. I also always found Ash and Gary's interactions to be quite entertaining when they were rivals.

Lacuna

Goodnight
What would his type specialty even be?
Blue as a Gym Leader doesn't specialize in any specific type, so probably nothing...

Something to note though is that in the Kanto games, the Viridian Gym is Ground-type — and the type that Gary has the most of is actually Ground, since he owns Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Golem. It's most definitely a coincidence though.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
While a Pokemon researcher makes more sense as a personal career goal, for the audience the excitement of Pokemon comes into battle, so it's more interesting to see Gary as a rival.