• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Difference in Depiction of Mega Evolution

ellifeedn

Thinker
Recently I learned that the Gen 7 Pokedex entrees for Mega-Evolved Pokemon depict Mega Evolution as a terrible thing, hurting the Pokemon from the extra power, making them more violent, even attacking the trainer! In XY and ORAS Mega Evolution didn't seem to have any negative effects, just difficultly activating. Did Adventures mess up, or is someone at Nintendo trying to pull a retcon?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I feel like you should edit the title as something like... "Mega Evolution! Different depictions!"

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I got a head cannon that mega evolution and it's after effects depend on A. The trainer. B. If there is even a bond. (Anime proved the bond is technically optional... if you have a death wish!) and C. On the pokemon and how drastic of a change it is.

Good fanfic material when a character delves into mega evolution for the first time.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Recently I learned that the Gen 7 Pokedex entrees for Mega-Evolved Pokemon depict Mega Evolution as a terrible thing, hurting the Pokemon from the extra power, making them more violent, even attacking the trainer! In XY and ORAS Mega Evolution didn't seem to have any negative effects, just difficultly activating. Did Adventures mess up, or is someone at Nintendo trying to pull a retcon?

Nothing in XY or ORAS ever stated Mega Evolution was a painful process with the sole exception of Mega Glalie having its jaw broken on the ORAS website.

I don't know why SM portrays Mega Evolution as such a painful concept, but a lot of the Dex entries in that game can get pretty gruesome, so they're not out of place.

ellifeedn

Thinker
I feel like you should edit the title as something like... "Mega Evolution! Different depictions!"
Huh, didn't know you can edit the titles of threads. I guess I should be a little more clear.
Nothing in XY or ORAS ever stated Mega Evolution was a painful process with the sole exception of Mega Glalie having its jaw broken on the ORAS website.

I don't know why SM portrays Mega Evolution as such a painful concept, but a lot of the Dex entries in that game can get pretty gruesome, so they're not out of place.
You know, I sort of remember an old explanation for Pokedex entrees being things written by kids who greatly exaggerate details. This could be another instance of that, maybe even by Rotom.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Nothing but theories and fan speculation. Ones that make no sense when you think about it.

It's been stated since Gen I that the Pokedex automatically records information, so the players aren't writing them. And the ages of the players vary from game to game, so they're not all "kids".

And if these are meant to be mere exaggerations, wouldn't that mean that the Pokedex is full of false information and is thus completely useless?

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Nothing but theories and fan speculation. Ones that make no sense when you think about it.

It's been stated since Gen I that the Pokedex automatically records information, so the players aren't writing them. And the ages of the players vary from game to game, so they're not all "kids".

And if these are meant to be mere exaggerations, wouldn't that mean that the Pokedex is full of false information and is thus completely useless?
1. Like Shipping on Bulbapedia?
2. Your canon my vary.
3. Pretty much. It's lied a ton before(It took 2.5 generations for Watchog to gain the ability to spit seeds rapidly in-game vs. in-fluff, AKA Bullet Seed. And how do Magcargo not destroy us all if they're as hot as the surface of the sun?)

e9310103838

1. Like Shipping on Bulbapedia?
2. Your canon my vary.
3. Pretty much. It's lied a ton before(It took 2.5 generations for Watchog to gain the ability to spit seeds rapidly in-game vs. in-fluff, AKA Bullet Seed. And how do Magcargo not destroy us all if they're as hot as the surface of the sun?)

Pokemon logics are not equal to be mere exaggerations lol

And I think some content of the Pokedex in game are completely different from the worldview of the anime and manga. Anime and manga make them more like Pokemon XD

Last edited:

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Poke logics are not equal to be mere exaggerations lol

And I think some content of the Pokedex in game is completely different from the worldview presented by the anime and manga. Anime and manga make them more like Pokemon XD
Could you please state your post more clearly, please?

I'm having trouble understanding it...

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I remember Mega Lucario's dex entry *shutter's*

I think Korrina's anime arc explained mega evolution well though. Its dangerous, but can be mastered if trainer and Pokemon have a good bond. Same thing seemed to went with Ash and Ash Greninja.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
I remember Mega Lucario's dex entry *shutter's*

I think Korrina's anime arc explained mega evolution well though. Its dangerous, but can be mastered if trainer and Pokemon have a good bond. Same thing seemed to went with Ash and Ash Greninja.
This is a Manga Forum. Anime logic doesn't apply here.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Actually i think that Pokemon special manga should make it own rules on Mega Evolution. ?

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Probably i can't read Pokemon special manga arc : X & Y right now as my book store don't have it as mini- volumes yet :(