• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Diggersby Discussion Thread

MDS777

The name's Riley
diggersby.jpg

Stats
85/56/77/50/77/78

Type:
Normal/Ground

Diggersby is one of the new Pokemon introduced in generation VI. Everyone thought Diggersby would just be another weak early game Pokemon alongside Talonflame, but with access to Huge Power, it is actually quite useful. Although, it comes with subpar stats and a poor typing.

Discuss.

Sets
Choice Band
Agility

Last edited:
Diggersby is a surprisingly potent offensive Pokemon. It might be considered by some to be a worse Azumarill, but Diggersby has the speed and coverage moves to separate itself. Here's a few sets.

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Return
- Earthquake
- Wild Charge / Stone Edge

Agility Diggersby can outspeed and OHKO many offensive threats in this metagame. With max Speed and an Adamant nature, it can outspeed everything up to Choice Scarf Mienshao, meaning it could be a great offensive threat in the lower tiers.

I'll update with more sets whenever I'm not too lazy to.

KillerDraco

While I personally favor an agility set myself, I'll mention one of the two viable choice sets.

Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Huge Power
Adamant/Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Return
-Earthquake
-U-turn
-Stone Edge/Wild Charge

Choice Scarf Diggersby is reminiscent of the Scarf Medicham of yesteryear. On something with so much power due to its ability, Scarf helps patch up its underwhelming speed to make it a surprise scout and revenge killer. Its STABs are obvious and so is U-Turn, which helps it maintain momentum. Being resistant to stealth rock helps it in this respect as well. Wild Charge vs. Stone Edge depends on what you want to be walled by. Skarmory is an insurmountable obstacle without Wild Charge, while Diggersby can't really break through Gourgeist without Stone Edge, and Stone Edge gives it a more potent weapon against things like Dragonite as well.

...That said, as potent as Diggersby's offenses are, it is unfortunately let down by downright terrible defensive typing which will forever condemn it the lower tiers. Being weak to fighting, water, grass, and ice does it no favors at all. This is especially true given that priority can cut its life short; it's weak to Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, and Ice Shard, while it doesn't resist any other forms of priority barring Shadow Sneak (which it is fortunately immune to). Makes it pretty easy to revenge kill even after an Agility boost or some such. That said, it'll probably be a solid UU contender like the Azumarill of Gen 5.

I can see Diggersby being used in OU for a few niches. For one, it has two great STABs with potent neutral coverage, alongside a monumental Attack stat. Two, it has a variable movepool with boosting options, U-turn, and some nifty coverage moves. The third, and quite possibly the most important niche, is the ability to check Aegislash, one of the most potent threats in the metagame. It can come in on its Ghost STAB and deal significant damage with an Earthquake. Watch out for Sacred Sword, though.

_Sylveon_

Indigo Champion
#DiggersbyTho (Diggersby) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature / Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

This set absolutely wrecks. With Huge Power and Choice Band, you're essentially hitting like 240 Attack, the highest attack in the game, in one turn. This thing can mow down through teams. Sticky Web and/or Speed support is pretty nice, as Speed is the only thing holding Diggersby back. Diggersby will be UU imo, not good enough for OU, but this set certainly can do well in OU. Return & Earthquake are nice STABs, hitting everything pretty well. Skarmory cannot even survive this set:
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 224 HP / 32 Def Skarmory: 118-139 (36 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
I mean, yes, it is a 3HKO, but if it hits on the switch, it will hit again, this leaves Skarmory very weak and prone to being killed. It can then just break through stuff. Then we have Stone Edge vs Skarmory:
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Stone Edge vs. 224 HP / 32 Def Skarmory: 154-182 (47 - 55.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
killing it on the switch. Seriously, this thing is powerful. It does have common weaknesses though, and not very great bulk.

For one, it has two great STABs with potent neutral coverage, alongside a monumental Attack stat. Two, it has a variable movepool with boosting options, U-turn, and some nifty coverage moves. The third, and quite possibly the most important niche, is the ability to check Aegislash, one of the most potent threats in the metagame.
Two things: Normal, a "great STAB"? and Aegislash is potent? It's good. There's no doubt. But there's enough checks to it without Diggersby. That, and I feel like it'll go down in usage sometime soon.

I want to see it use that Scarf set. I'm not sure what the speed tables are as of now, but I feel like speed support won't be as much of an issue when sporting that scarf. Scarf Moxiecross obliterates this thing's life though.

Last edited:

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
#DiggersbyTho (Diggersby) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature / Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

This set absolutely wrecks. With Huge Power and Choice Band, you're essentially hitting like 240 Attack, the highest attack in the game, in one turn. This thing can mow down through teams. Sticky Web and/or Speed support is pretty nice, as Speed is the only thing holding Diggersby back. Diggersby will be UU imo, not good enough for OU, but this set certainly can do well in OU. Return & Earthquake are nice STABs, hitting everything pretty well. Skarmory cannot even survive this set:
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 224 HP / 32 Def Skarmory: 118-139 (36 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
I mean, yes, it is a 3HKO, but if it hits on the switch, it will hit again, this leaves Skarmory very weak and prone to being killed. It can then just break through stuff. Then we have Stone Edge vs Skarmory:
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Stone Edge vs. 224 HP / 32 Def Skarmory: 154-182 (47 - 55.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
killing it on the switch. Seriously, this thing is powerful. It does have common weaknesses though, and not very great bulk.

Be thankful for Shofu who somehow promoted this set for my (his quote) "My n**** diggersby tho...". Surprisingly, if it faces Aegislash one on one during said ghost pokemon's shield forme, it could actually one hit ko it with the choice band set. For me, that is something that could place itself in OU niches

Klaus™

Banned
Are you seriously saying shofu came up with band diggersby? Lol

Diggersby @ Life Orb/ Leftovers
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 228 HP/ 252 Atk/ 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack / Return
- Substitute / Return
- Swords Dance

Quite honestly ive had the most success with this set. Sweeper diggersby is pretty cool, as nothing is more funny. With huge power you basically have a faster slightly stronger azumarill, but at a trade off of worse typing. However, ground normal isnt that bad. This set takes advantage of an excellent aegislash check, as it outspeeds all variants up to 168 Spe (autotomize variants) and allows you to ohko with earthquake, or substitute to stop the kings shield. From there you pretty much set up and punch holes with quick attack. The life orb is for guaranteeing the ohko (like 70% with leftovers).i prefer this set because running band or scarf is meh. Because of how the metagame is. Its so easy to switch in something bulky to stop wallbreaking. Better to switch moves. The best teammaates for this is something that can take out gengar a hard counter to big sena.

Last edited:
Are you seriously saying shofu came up with band diggersby? Lol

He didn't come up with it; he merely popularized it with his infamous "Diggersby tho"

SD Diggy is pretty cool, but maybe you could slash Wild Charge in the third slot? It's its most reliable option against Skarmory, and actually allows it to touch Gengar. Quick attack is definitely the best normal stab for swords dance diggersby, and it gets a ton of epic OHKOs with that alone. Return just makes it an easily-revenged nuke.

Klaus™

Banned
Editted set with correct spe evs (thought aegis and diggersby were both 60 base spe)

Wild charge is a) a bad move and b) is not ideal at all. One of diggersby's and azumarills best assets are their bulk. Giving up substitute makes it harder to get a sd in, removes scouting abilities, and allows you a buffer against will o wispers like rotom or gourgeist (who doesnt always run seed bomb anyway) and is really good. Wild charge is just added recoil especially against rocky helmet skarm who is extremely popular.

Editted set with correct spe evs (thought aegis and diggersby were both 60 base spe)

Wild charge is a) a bad move and b) is not ideal at all. One of diggersby's and azumarills best assets are their bulk. Giving up substitute makes it harder to get a sd in, removes scouting abilities, and allows you a buffer against will o wispers like rotom or gourgeist (who doesnt always run seed bomb anyway) and is really good. Wild charge is just added recoil especially against rocky helmet skarm who is extremely popular.

I wouldn't consider 85/77/77 bulk to be a very helpful asset. Swords Dance Diggersby is more of a wall-breaker, not really a sweeper. As such, it helps to have the coverage to KO various walls that would normally stop Diggy in its tracks. You also say that Wild Charge is added recoil when you have Substitute and Life Orb as the primary slash. If you run Substitute, always run Leftovers unless you have a recovery move. Diggersby intends to hit hard until it kicks the bucket; it doesn't need longevity. Think of it like Staraptor - very powerful, and isn't necessarily meant to live that long.

Last edited by a moderator:

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Nice detective work there.

I wouldn't consider 85/77/77 bulk to be a very helpful asset. Swords Dance Diggersby is more of a wall-breaker, not really a sweeper. As such, it helps to have the coverage to KO various walls that would normally stop Diggy in its tracks. You also say that Wild Charge is added recoil when you have Substitute and Life Orb as the primary slash. If you run Substitute, always run Leftovers unless you have a recovery move. Diggersby intends to hit hard until it kicks the bucket; it doesn't need longevity. Think of it like Staraptor - very powerful, and isn't necessarily meant to live that long.

True there. Although in terms of speed as a wall breaking role, Staraptor vs Diggersby, our Sinnoh Hawk is personally better with the choice band set when you have Reckless + Brave bird and Double edge nuking things all hell and down The catch is that it won't power up its other moves: Close Combat, U-turn, and the rare quick attack. On the other hand, when power becomes a matter, Diggersby excels thanks to huge power already multiplying its attack even further with every one of its used moves. Which is why Life orb for me works better for him. It's just that its speed hold it back.

McDanger

a lot can check it as long as it doesnt use agility, even then azumarill and conkeldurr can with their priority moves, diggersby isnt the bulkiest pokemon around

CaptainSteve

On indefinite hiatus
Trying to even imply that Diggersby has bulk is like trying to sweep with Feebas. Its just wrong. You need to Baton Pass Agility onto Diggersby for him to be useful, preferably with a Sub up as well to sponge the switch hit. After that, crush souls to your heart's content. But Diggersby doesn't have the speed itself to set up Agility on its own.

I Like Pie!

Smile smile smile!
Diggersby is an amazing check for Aegislash, immune to Shadow Sneak while being naturally fast enough to hit EQ before Sacred Sword.
And that Huge Power Earthquake + Return does amazing damage. With Swords Dance boost and STAB Quick Attack, Diggersby will threaten lower tiers.

Sadly that bulk and Speed won't be doing much good. Not to mention common Physical walls (Skarmory, Gliscor, Landorus-Therian) can shut it down.

Natural

Trying to even imply that Diggersby has bulk is like trying to sweep with Feebas. Its just wrong. You need to Baton Pass Agility onto Diggersby for him to be useful, preferably with a Sub up as well to sponge the switch hit. After that, crush souls to your heart's content. But Diggersby doesn't have the speed itself to set up Agility on its own.
I saw a video on youtube were someone swept with a magikarp

Anyway. Doesn't diggersby have access to rapid spin? It would make sense if it has rototiller...oh. It's a good partner in doubles for grass pokemon with rototiller

Edit: here's the magikarp sweep if anyone is interested

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hwS-0vcbRa4

Last edited: