• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Digimon: Dark Reign (RPG Thread)

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
Agony.

Searing pain, stabbing through him. His neck burned, the great hole torn in it, nearly ripping his head from his shoulders...

Gatmuz moaned in pain, a horrible, choked moan, distorted by the damage to his throat. He weakly raised his head on tattered scraps of flesh and sinew, muscles burning with the normally simple effort.

Abaddon was still there, ripping through his comrades.

Gatmuz's head fell forwards once more, tensing what remained of his throat. How was he still alive?

No. That wasn't life. It was pain, just horrible, ripping pain tearing through him with every second of his wretched existence. He barely clung to the feeble semblance of life, and that rope was slipping out of his grasp with every passing second.

His eyes fixed on Nova, so broken too. The great crater ripped through her chest, the sight was horrific.

His sinews creaked as he raised his head again, unable to bear looking at the tattered remnants of his lover.

How could she love him if he was so? He couldn't see the wound, but he knew it was terrible. The sands of time poured on relentlessly. How much longer did he have? A minute? A half-hour? An hour?

He would endure no more.

He wouldn't cling to a feeble, wretched semblance of life. He wouldn't live unable to talk without the words rasping, unable to move his neck without terrible agony.

He just hoped he would die with meaning.

Weakly, he glided towards Abaddon. The monstrous Arkadimon saw him coming and raised his Exile Spear.

"So the little weakling Avenger wishes to die?" he chuckled "then I shall grant his wish."

"I... die... and take... you... with... ME!" Gatmuz howled, swinging his staff to strike Abaddon. The Arcadimon effortlessly evaded the strike, kicking the staff further away as he propelled himself forwards, drawing back his Exile Spear.

Gatmuz's Burst Mode aura suddenly dissolved into his form as the wolf head set into his chestplate opened. Abaddon's eyes widened in shock as he saw the orb of golden light pulsing within.

It was far too late by that time.

His spear tore through the orb and impaled Gatmuz, but the MirageGaogamon was brave to the last. He refused to scream, tensing his muscles.

"You... die with... me," he growled weakly, right into Abaddon's face. His arms encircled the Arcadimon and pulled him close in a grip of steel.

Abaddon thrashed, but Gatmuz endured every blow as he gathered all his power. When the eternity passed and he felt the harmonious pulse of his power, he turned his head weakly for the last time, looking at Nova. Her ravaged form tore at his heart, and he closed his eyes.

"I... love you... Nova," he whispered, pain and injury distorting his voice "and I always will protect you... no matter what awaits me... even if I must learn you live... I will gladly end my life so you survive... I... love you..."

Abaddon stared at the MirageGaogamon's face as Gatmuz's eyes snapped open, rage gone, only peace in his soul.

And in that second, Abaddon knew terror for the first time.

"Full Moon Blaster," Gatmuz whispered, closing his eyes once more.

Energy exploded from his body, pure radiance and power that seared in Abaddon's flesh, fire of light ripping through corrupted form. The Black Hand roared in agony as Gatmuz gave one last calm breath, his body entirely golden light, his data already dissolving away.

As golden light, the light of hope, tore into Abaddon, Gatmuz looked to the sky, and he wondered what lay beyond the heavens. Perhaps he would learn.

And if Nova was there with him... then he could be glad forever. If not... he would die knowing he had honoured everything the Avengers stood for... he had fought to the last against the darkness and the Black King's reign.

"We are hope and all that's bright," he murmured "we are they who wield the light. We come to end the Blackest Night. So know our strength, our united might."

Abaddon roared in pain once more as Gatmuz let go of life and dissolved into golden data particles that drifted towards the sky, finally at peace with everything.

Osiris could only watch as his friend, his comrade sacrificed himself in one last selfless act. Ragna's death... Valra's death... it all flooded back.... Isis's death... Fabian's death...

But the names gave him only a sense of sorrow, not pain. Gatmuz had died on his own terms with the world. Osiris could only honour that.

And with one great cry, he named the three words he had always believed, those three he had honoured.

And now, he had more words to speak, more memories, another legacy.

"For Hope and all that's bright! Towards our Future!"

With those words, he charged Abaddon, shifting down to his Raihimon form. He called his spear and shield as the Arkadimon howled in pain, the last remnants of Gatmuz's final attack fading away to nothing...

Hotshot

((OOC: Wow, storymasterb...just...wow. That was epic.))

Rai's eyes widened in pure anger. Gatmuz had just died right before his eyes. Fury blinded him. Another Avenger...dead. His eyes shifted over to Osiris, who charged at Abaddon. He looked down at his own fatal injury, where Abaddon had impaled him. Rai struggled to his feet, and used every last ounce of strength left to follow Osiris.

Abaddon raised his Exile Spear, ready to rip Osiris in two. As he plunged the spear downwards, he found that it had slashed through someone else. Rai.

The Rapidmon had made it just in time. Abaddon's deadly spear pierced his shoulder-armor, and the Rapidmon cringed. The Arkadimon tried to pull his spear out, but couldn't. Rai's eyes widened. "Now, Osiris!! TAKE HIM DOWN!!!"

----------------------

Rai's exclamation reached Karasu's ears. The Ravemon's eyes blinked open. Despite the pain that wracked his body, he rose, and when he did, his jaw dropped. Gatmuz was gone, faded away into nothingness. Nova had been decimated, and Rai, well, Rai had been impaled...twice.

He staggered forward, but fell to his knees. "I...I can't...I can't move..."

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
Osiris silently thanked Rai for taking the hit as he blocked Abaddon's second Exile Spear with his shield, kicking the lance of darkness aside as he readied his spear.

"For hope," he said "for all that's bright. For a future full of light. I end your darkness, your blackest night!"

"So burn and die!"

"BLAZING SPEAR!"

He thrust the spear forwards with all his strength, stabbing straight through Abaddon's neck.

The Arcadimon howled, a rasping, horrific sound. Blood flowed from the wound in his neck as Osiris withdrew his spear.

"So know our strength, our united might," he finished. Abaddon hissed and raised his free arm, returning it to normal.

"DOT MATRIX!" he roared. Osiris barely raised his shield in time, and Abaddon's attack tossed him back. The Raihimon spread his golden wings and snarled as Abaddon kicked at Rai, trying to knock the Rapidmon off his spear.

But Osiris was never going to let the Arkadimon destroy him. One death was more than he'd accept.

He would never allow two.

The Raihimon roared his familiar battle cry and hurled himself into combat, raising his spear to impale Abaddon again. The Arkadimon transformed the spear in Rai's shoulder back into his arm, freeing himself with ease.

Osiris wondered why the Black Hand had taken so long to figure out he could free himself that way.

Abaddon laughed hideously, blasting Rai with his Dot Matrix before launching himself to meet Osiris, one of the few Avengers still in a relatively fit fighting condition.

Of course, fit fighting condition didn't make Osiris much of a threat to the greatest of the Black Hands.

Spear met shield as Osiris blocked Abaddon's first strike. The Arkadimon hissed and lashed out with his fist, the punch hammering into Osiris's breatplate. The Raihimon hissed in pain and spun his spear, slashing at Abaddon's spear arm with the bladed point of his weapon. Abaddon snarled in pain and kicked out, but Osiris near-easily evaded the strikes with inches to spare.

Abaddon retracted his spear back into a hand and lashed out.

"Dot Matrix!"

Osiris took the blast on his shoulder, a dent being hammered into his Obsidian Digizoid plate. However, he took no actual damage and was able to stab with his spear, laying open a wound in Abaddon's knee, in a gap between his armour plates. The Arkadimon snarled and hurled a punch at Osiris, knocking the Raihimon back a short distance before he recovered.

Abaddon elongated both arms into Exile Spears and charged, using his brutal weapons like swords, slashing and cutting at Osiris's guard with the blunt edges of the lances rather than more traditional stabbing techniques. The odd technique caught Osiris off guard for a few seconds and Abaddon was able to hammer at his armour for that period of time.

But Osiris quickly adapted and learned that defense was of little use. Therefore, he focused on evasion, dodging the fast sweeping movments Abaddon adopted with his weapons.

But fast as thought, Abaddon changed tactics, now using his weapons in a more usual style. Osiris, already caught in a dodge, was unprepared as Abaddon lunged forwards mid-sweep, stabbing his spear into Osiris's left elbow. The Raihimon hissed and dropped his shield. He cursed under his breath and spun his spear, stabbing at Abaddon, but he had lost the momentum and Abaddon was fast to pick up the pace.

His stabs were like lightning, fast and unpredictable. Osiris soon bled from dozens of cuts, all luckily minor, but he knew he needed to get lucky or he'd end up like Nova or Gatmuz.

The accursed Arkadimon chuckled and stabbed again, barely missing due to a quick movement from Osiris.

The leader was now in a lot of trouble.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Abaddon roared all his anger and fury. He stabbed at Osiris over and over, watching with savage glee as the Raihimon barely managed to dodge. He Thrust his spear-arm forward and blasted the ground beneath Osiris's feet with his Dot Matrix. The comination caused the Avenger to fall back, and Abaddon pinned him to the ground under his giant foot. With a snarl of feral ecstasy he impaled Osiris with one great spear and raised the other to kill him.

Hyperion smashed into Abaddon and drove him off Osiris. They rolled over the ground, clawing and kicking and punching at one another. But Abaddon's size and strength was too much to ignore, even for Hyperion, and the Black Hand hurled the white knight into the trunk of the world tree. Abaddon rushed him, stabbing with his spear, but Hyperion sidestepped and slammed his cannon into the Arkadimon's midsection.

The cannon blast was deafening, and the explosion sent Abaddon flying and crushed Hyperion back to the tree. Hyperion watched silently as Abaddon rose back up and stalked forward. The white knight took a calming breath and readied sword and cannon.

This would be tough...

=====

The universe unfolded before Caesar, and everything became clear. Every question was answered; every uncertainty was made certain. For the first time, Caesar understood everything he saw. And he saw Samhain with new, clear eyes.

The Black King was not amused by this turn of events. He had hoped to gain another Black Hand from Caesar; to turn Imego himself to his cause. But somehow Caesar had powered through and emerged even stronger. This did not please the self-proclaimed "new God." He let loose a stream of hellfire, but this did not concern Caesar.

The golden knight saw the attack before it even left Samhain's fingers, and time seemed to stop for him. Caesar plucked the strings of reality and warped the Digital World around him so that he no longer stood in the beam's path. For everyone else, it just appeared as if Samhain's attack swerved around Caesar. Samhain's face read utter disbelief.

Caesar's armor began to glow.

"Magna Blast," he said slowly and clearly. Power ripped from the glowing armor and slammed into Samhain. The Black King tumbled over himself and skid along the ground.

He sprung to his feet and looked around, but Caesar was nowhere in sight.

"Magna Punch," Caesar's voice rang out crisp and clear, and he fell upon Samhain from the sky with his glowing fist. Samhain raised a hand to block the attack and as he had done before, but as soon as he caught Caesar's fist, his hand crumpled and his arm cracked. He let out a scream of pain that was cut short by a Magna Kick that sent him flying through the air.

Caesar warped the world around him once again. He watched as the world stood still and everything ran together, and then he was suddenly beside Samhain. Caesar opened his hand and light and power gathered there. Samhain noticed this light and turned.

"Magna Prominence," Caesar said. Holy light and fire roared from his hand and seared into Samhain. The Black King let out a roar as the attack hit and burned past his unholy flesh, darkness and power.

With rage in his eyes, Samhain sent to blasts of hellfire towards Caesar, but the golden knight simply bent the world again, and the blasts diverged as they neared him. He exuded an aura of total calm and acceptance.

"No," Samhain snarled. He hadn't prepared for this. If he knew what he was dealing with he could stop it, he could use Ragnarok to destroy it...but this..."Abaddon! Defend me!" The Arkadimon reacted to his master's voice and hurled Hyperion through the air and away from him. Abaddon rushed towards Caesar, and the golden knight met his charge. But just before they met, Caesar warped the world again. This time he was standing behind Abaddon, and he slammed his fist hard into the monster's back.

Caesar was little more than a golden maelstrom. He'd hit Abaddon and send him flying in one direction, then warp the world around him so that he could catch the monster in midflight and hit him in another. Every time Abaddon attacked, Caesar read the shifts in the world and used this to evade with ease. He could read the movements of his enemies, warp their attacks, and bend through the world without resistance...

And he was just beginning to learn.

But one thing bothered Caesar. Every time he warped or bend himself through the world (effectively appearing to the normal eye as teleportation or super speed) Abaddon was able to follow him. Abaddon's eyes watched his movements even when the rest of time stopped. It was unnerving.

Samhain wasn't content to simply watch his greatest creation be smashed down by perhaps his greatest failure. He called on the power of Ragnarok once again and used it to draw knowledge on Caesar's might. What he learned angered him; it wasn't much to go on. But as he watched Caesar, he knew how he could defeat him. Using Ragnarok as his eyes, he waited until Caesar warped away, and then used the god-computer to seize the knight in mid-warp with a burst of power.

Abaddon used this distraction and struck. He pounded Caesar, smashing the golden knight with all his infernal strength as his lord's power stopped Caesar from warping. Samhain laughed as Abaddon tore into Caesar. It only confirmed what he believed.

"Even with all your power brought to bear against me, you will never win," Samhain declared. "For Samhain was. And so--Samhain is."

Hyperion stumbled forward. He had been through a lot. It had taken a huge load of energy to re-forge the Transcendent Sword, but it needed to be done. At the moment, Caesar was their best hope of coming out unscathed, but with Samhain holding him in place, he couldn't fight back.

The white knight readied his weapons, using his sword to balance and steady the cannon. He consolidated his power, feeding more power than ever into the cannon and combining that with power from the sword. The barrel of his cannon glowed white hot, and he took aim.

"Transcendent Cannon!" Hyperion howled. Power upon power ripped from his cannon and slammed through Samhain. The Black King wasn't expecting such a vicious assault, and his control over the Ragnarok system faltered.

Caesar felt this.

"Magna Blast," he growled. Power ripped from his armor and slammed into Abaddon, eliciting a cry of pain from the beast. But before the flash of power had even faded, Caesar was moving, bending and warping the world once more.

He surged through the lines of data towards Samhain and drove his glowing fist into the Black King's face. Samhain was thrown back. He landed violently on the ground, but still managed to rise, his fist glowing red. He looked around, and saw all his enemies rallied to stop him. Even Samhain knew when he was beat.

"This isn't over," Samhain swore angrily. "I will spear you all to my gates before this is done." With that promise, both Samhain and Abaddon ignited with an infernal red light and vanished into the datastream.

Caesar let out a calm breath. But then his eyes widened.

"Theron," he whispered. He warped through the world once more and knelt by Theron's side. He stared in horror at the damage inflicted on the Gaiomon. The brave and noble warrior had given everything to break Caesar free from Samhain's grip. He read the datasphere and saw the events play out in his mind's eye. He saw Imego's blind swing, and he saw Theron step bravely and surely into it. "You should have dodged it," Caesar whispered. "Why didn't you?"

"I did what I had to do," Theron coughed out. "You still have much to learn, Caesar. Sacrifice is one thing you never understood. But I hope your new clarity allows you to understand this...this is what we do for the ones we love."

Caesar grasped Theron's hand and held it against his forehead. "I love you," he whispered to the great warrior. "I love you, Father." And those words rang through Theron and tears sprung forth from his tired eyes. And those words brought the old warrior such comfort and peace.

"No father...ever had a better son," he whispered back. And he took one final breath. And then all was still.

Caesar bent down and placed one first and last kiss on his father's forehead. A tear fell from his cheek and landed on Theron's armor, and at that moment Theron's body broke down and floated away with the winds. The golden knight watched the data fly away. He saw with enlightened eyes, but he could not help the soul-crushing sadness that came with death. He turned back to the Avengers. He struggled to find some words, but none came. He simply turned back to the golden data and watched his father leave.

Ajax bowed his head in respect for the warrior. "Goodbye, my friend," he said into the winds.

"Goodbye, Ajax," the winds whispered back, though only Ajax heard. "Watch out for my boy. He still has much to learn."

"I will," Ajax promised. "Farewell Theron."

Hyperion watched the others, and he felt his own shame. He remembered the words and taunts of Dracul Samhain, he remembered the part he himself played in the Black King's rise to power. He remembered the part he still had to play. He had gathered the Avengers once more and ingrained himself into their ranks. He had gained their trust, and in all likelihood, he would be forced to break them.

For he must obey...

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
(OOC: Beaten. May need to revise.)

Pre-Kamotz's post. I don't like doing this, but I don't want to get rid of this. xP

Strom had never felt so helpless. He watched as Gatmuz sacrificed himself for them and for Nova...

Once again he felt the sting of tears in his eyes. "GATMUZ!" he roared, charging towards Abaddon with a fury that now threatened to rival Ajax's.

"DIE, YOU B*STARD!" he roared at the Black Hand. Strom flew in on Abaddon's left and drove his lance deep into Abaddon's side. The Arkadimon snarled with pain but managed to drive the Ambrosius out of him.

"Damn!" Balion cursed, flying past Erebus to help fight.

The UlforceVeedramon tried to slash the Ulforce Sabre down Abaddon's backside, but he turned around, swinging his lance, and created a large gash up Balion's bicep and collar. Balion recoiled in pain. "Ray of Victory!" Balion expelled the large azure beam from his armour and it rushed towards Abaddon. The Arkadimon merely chuckled and grabbed the Ambrosius. He then swung Strom around and switched places with him so that the Examon was hit with the attack instead.

"This isn't working," Erebus thought angrily. He rushed forwards with his Voltage Blade only to have it parried and be kicked hard in the back. The Justimon quickly changed arms as he flew upside down. "Justice Burst!" he yelled as he fired several beams up at Abaddon, with most hitting.

"Dot Matrix!" said Abaddon. He angrily returned fire at the Justimon. Erebus was hit by the attack square in the chest. He cringed with agony.

He then saw Abaddon throw Strom into Balion and then turn his attention towards the pained Karasu. A sadistic grin grew on the Arkadimon's face, even despite the pain he was in.

"Dot Matrix." He fired towards the Ravemon.

Erebus' heart froze, but he took action. He mustered up all his speed and soared in the air. The Justimon tackled Karasu out of the blast's way with seconds to spare. Erebus sustained a bad burn to his side and left leg, since the blast managed to clip him. He growled in agony and looked up to see if Karasu was all right.

"Are... you okay?" he managed to croak.

---------------------------------

Balion growled with frustration as he was once again bashed away by Abaddon. "Ray of Victory!" This time the beam hit its target.

As that happened, Strom approached Abaddon and thrust his lance at or into him repeatedly. Even Strom's red digizoid armour couldn't protect him against most of Abaddon's attacks. He was riddled with cuts and burns all along his body with several very deep ones that gushed blood and data.

"I shall avenge them... ALL OF THEM!" he roared. With it, he managed to pierc the Ambrosius deep into Abaddon's chest and then fired a shell into his body...

------------------------------

They had escaped...

Strom landed in front of Nova's body and gently lifted her up in his red arms. He wordlessly walked over towards. Strom saw Erebus and Balion also bowing their heads in respect. The Examon arrived in time to see Theron's body break into data and float into the wind.

The Examon nearly dropped Nova in shock. He carefully dropped to his knees and placed the ShineGreymon on the ground. Strom silently stepped forwards and picked up Erebus' scarf that he used to tie Theron's wound. His claws clutched the red fabric tightly and he looked up to see the noble digimon depart.

"Rest in piece, mentor. You taught all of us well..." he sorrowfully whispered. He then joined the others in bowing his head in respect.

(OOC: Storymasterb, if this post disrupts anything that you wanted to do with Nova, just tell me and I can edit it.)

Last edited:

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
Osiris wordlessly released his Raihimon form and returned to his default Anubismon state.

Then the sadness came, like a wave disrupting the calm ocean of his soul.

How could he have allowed this to happen? Two more Avengers dead... Gatmuz and Theron... both destroyed.

And both had sacrificed their own lives for something Osiris couldn't see, couldn't understand.

The only good thing was Caesar's new power. His X-Evolution seemed to give him the ability to warp his own imprint on the world in ways Osiris was unable to comprehend. He had lived his whole life in a world of rules.

Now he witnessed Caesar evading the rules, somehow bending the basic logical structure of the world... It was a marvellous addition to their team's power, yet Osiris couldn't bring himself to celebrate it.

Even now, he saw only sadness. Theron was gone, their mentor, the wise one of the team... and Caesar's father figure.

Osiris bowed his head out of respect to the fallen Gaiomon.

"May you be at peace, Theron Gaiomon," he murmured softly.

Then he turned towards Nova. She had been moved by Strom, he had off-handedly observed that.

But he knew she wasn't dead. At the worst, she was dying, and he knew that he would not allow another death. Not one more death.

But would it be fair to save her? To bring her into a shattered world where her one and only love was gone? Did he have the right to condemn her to that suffering?

Did he have the right to let her die?

He was not God. He did not possess the right to make such a decision.

But doing nothing... he would not let himself stand and watch.

He clenched his hand into a fist.

"No more," he said quietly "not one more death. We lost too many today. And I will not let Nova die as well!" He ran to her, examining her injuries with his rather limited knowledge. Isis had always been better at healing then him...

"Move," Tytania said curtly, nudging him aside with a dismissve gesture and extending her caduceus over Nova's broken form. White light shone from the winged staff.

"What are you...?"

"You can't help her, I can," the Lotosmon snapped "so move. Let me help her."

He nodded slightly and stepped back. Tytania pressed her caduceus to the great wound in Nova's chest.

"Serpent Cure," she whispered.

Energy flooded from the caduceus into Nova, stitching the wound back together, repairing Nova's damaged data structure.

Tytania gritted her teeth as she started to weaken, but Osiris stepped forwards and placed a hand on hers, contributing his own energy to the healing. The Lotosmon looked at him and he nodded to her, urging her to keep going.

It was a long and arduous process, but eventually the great wound was healed. Nova seemed whole again, in body at least.

Who knew what might happen to her mental state once she discovered Gatmuz's death?

Osiris briefly wondered again, should he wake her? Would it be immoral to make her suffer?

He knew in the end, there was no fair choice. And he would not allow another death.

Not one more death. His soul couldn't endure that.

"Wake her," he said softly. Tytania nodded and gently pressed a hand to Nova's cheek. An aromatic flower scent filled the air and Osiris breathed it in with wonder at the beautiful scent. Tytania remained grim, but beneath her mask, she smiled slightly.

Nova's eyelids twitched. Osiris blinked, unsure if it was a trick of the light.

Her eyes slowly opened.

He gave a sigh of relief he had been unaware of holding in.

Nova stared at Tytania and Osiris.

"Wha... What happened?"

"Abaddon stabbed you," Tytania said "we weren't sure if you'd make it... but we managed to heal you."

Osiris looked down at Nova, dreading the ominous question. He hoped against hope she wouldn't ask.

"Please... for Yggdrasil's sake, don't ask me where..."

"Where's Gatmuz?" Nova asked, frowning as she looked around for her lover.

Osiris's hopes were crushed in a second. He tried to well up the courage to speak... but he couldn't tell her. He couldn't inflict that heartbreak on her. He'd seen and experienced heartbreak himself, he'd never force that kind of pain on another.

Never.

Unfortunately, Tytania had few such concerns.

Osiris tried to phrase the sentence in his head. Nova didn't know Gatmuz was dead. This would need to be done with extreme tact and gentleness...

"He's dead," Tytania stated bluntly.

Osiris cursed. Trust Tytania to try the sledgehammer method.

He briefly recalled during the Civil War, a similar situation.

But Nova's response broke his thought chain abrutly.

"What do you mean?"

"Dead," Tytania replied "y'know, as in killed, destroyed, slain... need a full description or not? Y'know, you're a warrior... you should know what dead..."

"He's dead?!" Nova howled.

"Means..." Tytania finished sheepishly as she caught Osiris's furious glare.

"No... he can't be! Not Gatmuz... he can't be dead!" Nova howled.

"He is," Osiris murmured "we all saw him die, Nova."

She stood, tears brewing in her eyes.

"He... died... who killed him?!" she howled.

"Abaddon," Tytania stated "Gatmuz sacrificed himself to try and kill that son of a *****... but he failed. Abaddon escaped."

At this horrific news, not only that her lover was dead, but that his murderer had escaped, Nova gave a heart-rending scream of agony and loss, drowning out anything else Tytania might have said...

Last edited:

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Strom watched as Nova emotionally fell apart. The victory that she was alive was almost instantly crushed. Her heartwrenching scream shook his soul and he was forced to look away.

"Gatmuz... and Theron..." He blinked back tears and remained in his Examon form despite his tremendous pain and loss in energy.

He slowly and awkwardly walked towards the three, as if he was treading his way around hot coals. Strom gently placed his hand on Nova's shoulder. With pure sorrowin his voice, he attempted some words of comfort.

"I'm... so sorry..." he murmured to her, barely able to look at her in that state. "He... never stopped loving you. Not even with his last breath... I-..."

Strom retracted his hand and walked away from her, allowing her to grieve in peace. He knew his words were fruitless in trying to ease her pain. He tried to once before... when Ragna had lost Valra. Strom also knew that Nova had no idea that he was there for her, being unconscious when he admitted it. And now, with her alive and Gatmuz dead, he wasn't sure that he had the heart to.

Strom grimaced and became a Spinomon again. He let out a deep growl and muttered to himself. "...Ajax was right. It hurts too much to care about others..."

Erebus and Balion both returned to their normal modes. Neither were particularly pleased with the outcome of that battle.

"So what do we do now?" Balion asked, looking at Ajax and Osiris.

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
Her soul was broken, shattered, ripped and torn apart.

Nova wept bitter tears, staining the ground benath her with the signs of her agony. She couldn't speak, only sob.

Osiris, like Strom, knew no comforting would work. He had felt the pain of loss too, and he knew all too well how you could never heal such wounds with kind words. That pain was eternal, you could try to move on, but you'd never leave it behind.

He threw an angry glare at Tytania. If she'd stayed quiet and given him time to think, he could have revealed Gatmuz's death without utterly breaking Nova's emotional stability.

The Lotosmon just spat at him and stalked over to the world tree.

In truth, she hadn't realised herself how much pain her words would cause. If she had, she would have left the talking to Osiris.

The Anubismon sighed softly, acknowledging Balion's question.

"Where now?" he murmured "that... I don't know. Should we confront the Black King head-on... no. Even with Caesar's new abilities, there's no sure chance of victory at the moment. Unfortunately... I cannot see any more pathways. What say you, Ajax?"

Kamotz

God of Monsters
"We need to move," said Ajax. "This place...it's not good for us to be here. Too many bad memories." He looked to Nova and to Caesar, then to the world tree. "Too much death. Samhain will be furious. He'll do everything in his power to kill us now. All the Black Hands will come for blood. Caesar, can you defeat Samhain again?"

"Perhaps," said Caesar. He had shed his X-Evolved form, but his clarity remained. His ability to wield his reality-altering power was greatly diminished, but his mind was still just as sharp. "But with Ragnarok at his command, Samhain will eventually be able to negate my advantage. Abaddon also concerns me," he added. "He might be able to contend with my abilities."

"Abaddon is a problem," Ajax muttered. "He's insanely powerful but we can't be blind to the rest; Samhain is my real concern. And something he said bothers me. He said he speaks with the voices of eight billion beings. Was it just more of his posturing?"

"He doesn't seem the type to speak without something backing it up," said Kairi

"So what does that even mean?" Ajax wondered.

"You don't want to know," Hyperion muttered. "The truth will kill your soul."

Ajax regarded him warily. Something bothered him about Hyperion. Ever since he had rejoined, he seemed to know too much about what was going on with Samhain. First he was all buddy-buddy with Nidhogg in the frozen north, then he hesitates with his X-Evolved power when facing the Armageddemon. He made up some bull-sh*t story about an evil force that kept him from helping in that first fight against Samhain, and then he froze up when they fought Samhain again. Samhain was also able to do things to Hyperion that he could do to no one else. He broke through his X-Evolution with a gesture and stole the most powerful attack ever witnessed in the Digital World with a laugh. It was as if...as if Hyperion was letting him do all these things.

"How do you know all this?" Kairi asked cautiously. "You've been sketchy lately, Hyperion. You're always dodging questions and answering cryptically. And I've done the calculations...it took me two days to teleport from the Akashic Records to ElDradimon, the flow of time changed in the record room."

"I don't see how your shortcomings are any of my concern," Hyperion said coldly and dismissively. "We should get going; we can't afford to wait around any longer." Hyperion turned and walked away.

"Something's up with him," Kairi said to Ajax.

"How do you mean?"

"When we returned to the records, Socrates told us who attacked them," Kairi answered. "Based on the evidence at the scene, we gathered that Nidhogg was there. But Socrates said they were killed by 'the Black King's Knight'."

"It could mean Siegfried," Ajax pointed out.

"Yes, but Socrates said he attacked with sword and cannon. Is there any other Digimon that could do that?"

"Goliath could, and while he's dead, we've seen that death doesn't really amount to much these days," answered Ajax. But even he didn't believe his words.

"But he wasn't a knight," Kairi pointed out. "He was as terrifying as any evil Digimon. "And given what I know about the missing two days, it might have been possible for Hyperion to remain behind and kill them. We know Nidhogg was still in the area as well."

"But to accuse Hyperion?" Ajax wondered. "The thought of him betraying anyone...it makes no sense."

"Who knows what happened to Hyperion?" Kairi asked. "We didn't see him for years and then he shows up out of the blue? He knows all these intimate details about Samhain's rule...We can't afford to rule this out Ajax."

Ajax closed his eyes; his head hurt. "I'll speak to Osiris," he muttered. He quickly went over to the Anubismon and took him aside. He relayed what he and Kairi spoke about. "I'll keep an eye on Hyperion," Ajax said. "But I don't know if we should confront him or not."

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Strom, who was walking nearby, managed to pick up all of Ajax and Kairi's discussion with his sharp hearing. He inwardly growled and glared suspiciously at Hyperion.

"I never trusted him... Not since meeting him. Kairi's argument only heightens my suspicions of the Great White Knight over there... White seems to be an evil colour anyways..." he thought, remembering Imego's Paladin Mode.

Balion flew beside Erebus. "So... Nice power-up, Erebus. Too bad it wasn't a Dramon form instead."

Erebus glanced over at Balion. "Does it really matter what blood or data we consist of, anymore? There's no rank or empires anymore. We all seek to destroy Samhain. Doesn't that make us all the same? Or do you really still believe that you and I are better than the rest of them?" Erebus asked, gesturing to the others.

Balion looked at them. His head turned back forwards. "I guess... you're right. They're all good warriors... we've all lasted this long, haven't we? Sure, Dramons are better warriors, bar-none, but... I guess I can't discredit them."

Erebus gave him a brief nod before flying off to be on his own.

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
"I wondered this too," Osiris murmured "but I didn't realise about the two day point. Damnit! If I'd known that... I might not have dismissed my theory so quickly. I've been wondering about Hyperion ever since we met him in the north. He refuses to answer questions, he always evades them. On top of that... I don't quite buy what he says about his X-Evolution either. I've never heard of an Evolution, X or otherwise, that could do that to the being wielding it."

"I'm starting to think Hyperion has betrayed us... but it's like you said. What possible cause would Hyperion have to betray us? He was born from a betrayal... I don't understand. But given the evidence... I think we should confront Hyperion. But we need to be careful. Just becuase Hyperion seems unable to use All Delete against the Black King and the Black Hands, doesn't mean he'll have the same restriction with us."

He pondered this difficulty.

"Of all the Digimon in the world," he murmured "why the hell'd it have to be the one who can kill a god?" But his mind was made up and he stood tall.

"Right," he said quietly "I'm not sure if even Caesar can outmatch Hyperion in a fight, so we try to avoid provoking an attack from him. Don't pressure him too heavily, becuase he's capable of murdering any one of us in one move." He slowly strode over to Hyperion and looked the white knight right in the face.

"Osiris... what the hell?" Tytania asked, seeing his expression.

"Hyperion Omega," Osiris said, ignoring Tytania and coverly gesturing for her to shut up. "I need to talk to you. When my group returned to the north during our attempt to find Yggdrasil, we sought the aid of Socrates and the Akshaic Records. However, once we got there, we found Volund dead and Socrates dying."

"But what intrigues me is what Socrates mentioned. He said the one who attacked them was 'the Black King's Knight.' That aroused suspicions, but what he said soon afterwards... was what got me. Socrates informed us that this knight had attacked with cannon and sword." Osiris gestured to Hyperion's arms in turn as he spoke.

"What invalidated that theory was that you were with us the whole time... or so I believed. However, Kairi has just revealed that it took us two days to teleport to ElDradimon. Would you say two days is about enough time to kill Socrates and Volund? I think so."

He glared Hyperion in the eyes as Tytania gasped. Nova barely noticed, caught up in her grief, but even so, she glanced at the white knight in horror.

"You've been evading any attempt to discover your whereabouts and activities between the Civil War and your battle with Nidhogg in the north. The Black King seems to affect you in ways he can't us. You're not exactly the least suspicious Digimon I've ever met," Osiris said sharply "and I believe that you, Hyperion Omega, are in fact a traitor working for the Black King!"

There were several audible gasps as Osisis fell silent, letting the words ring in the air...

Kamotz

God of Monsters
"Yes," Hyperion deadpanned. "Your theory makes perfect sense. I purposely let myself be blasted, set aflame, and nearly ripped apart by Samhain and his Black Hands. I do so enjoy that horrible agony...or have you forgotten that I drove off Nidhogg; saved you from the Armageddemon; and helped to drive off Samhain. I brought you to the world tree and broke my sword on Abaddon. Yes, Osiris, your theory has no flaws whatsoever." He brushed past Osiris. "Just remember this, I don't answer to you, Osiris. I never have...and I never will."

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
"...Then who do you answer to, Hyperion?" Strom asked with a certain enigmatic malice ringing with the words.

Erebus rubbed his temples in exasperation. "This isn't going to end well..."

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
"That's your favorite answer, isn't it?" Osiris said coldly "the second we ask you about yourself, you always tell us you don't answer to us. You're good at this, I'll admit that. But wouldn't any loyal servant take such pain for his master? You could just take that pain to try and veil any allegiance to the Black King. The perfect little defence, that you fight his warriors and slay them. Yet, I notice that whenever it comes to anything above Armageddemon... you mysteriously fail to kill the enemy. You claim you can slay gods... and yet you are unable to slay lackeys like Abaddon?"

"The Black King took All Delete and turned it against you, if what Tytania has told me is true. Isn't it somehow interesting he did that before he had the use of Ragnarok? And then he dismisses your X-Evolution with a gesture. If he could use Ragnarok in that way, why leave us able to fight in our highest forms? Why not shrink us back to Rookies and crush us?"

"You're suggesting Hyperion's a..." Nova murmured.

"Traitor," Osiris spat bitterly "you know so much about the Black King, Hyperion. You claim to know what he means by eight billion voices. You greet Nidhogg as an old friend. But if you know so much... why do you hide it from us? Ordered not to give away any essential information, right? You were perfectly happy to lead us straight to the world tree... and soon after we arrive, the Black King appears, despite none of us using his name. Isn't that a bit of a coincidence? Speaking of which, why is everyone else using his name? I thought we'd all agreed to call him 'the Black King' precisely so he can't drop Black Hands on us."

"Yes... you're right," Tytania realised "none of us used his true name until after he appeared!"

"Like I said, a rather unlikely event," Osiris said "how about you drop the pretence and talk, Hyperion? In the end, we'll get you. If you are a traitor, it'll be useful to find out something about the Black King. In fact, I want to know what he meant by 'eight billion voices'. What's so terrible about that secret?"

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Hyperion ignored the accusations; he didn't find any need to answer for his whereabouts or his shortcomings. But Osiris's question...the eight billion voices...

"Haven't you ever wondered?" Hyperion said. "Where everyone has gone? Where all these Diaboromon, Infermon, and Death-X Digimon came from? Where have the vast majority of the Digital World's inhabitants gone? Why are there so few left? Where have the other eight billion Digimon gone to?" He let those words hang, and watched with a sense of grim satisfaction and pity as the Avengers realized what he meant. "When he commands your surrender, he speaks with eight billion voices. When he makes a fist to crush your resistance. It is with eight billion hands. When he stares into your eyes and shatter your dreams. And break your heart. It is with sixteen billion eyes," Hyperion whispered. "Nothing like Dracul Samhain has ever come among us; nothing will again. He will take you to a hell without exit or end. And there he will murder your souls. And make you crawl and beg. And die." Hyperion watched the awful truth dawn on them. "He took the world, and their hearts and their minds. The whole world is literally against us."

Hyperion turned and stalked away as the Avengers struggled to come to grips with his revelation. He walked into the shadows.

=====

"Master," Hyperion whispered into the shadows. He knelt down. He looked over his shoulder and watched the others brood and scowl over his actions. "They are beginning to suspect me of disloyalty. I cannot sustain their trust while acting as you have commanded me. Please, lord. Tell me what I must do."

"You have served me well, my knight," said the voice, so maddening and seductive. It sent a shiver down Hyperion's spine with each syllable. "For me you have burned and bled. You have been seared by the fires of hell, ripped into by the spears of darkness and damnation. And through this time, you have stayed your hand and your loyalty to me has never wavered. You burned in all the flames of hell that could be mustered against you. Because of your efforts, some of the Avengers even came to me. And when I said I needed them all, you brought them to me again at the world tree. You have been my most devoted disciple. You have remained faithful to me throughout all the trials I have put before you. You have remained faithful to the last. I see you, and I love you, Hyperion Omega. My knight. You must only wait a little longer, and all will be set right. You have suffered for me, in my name, Hyperion. You need only suffer a little while longer."

"I hear, my master," Hyperion whispered. "I hear and I obey." Hyperion stood and turned, but came face to face with the assembly of Avengers. They were watching him.

"Hyperion," Ajax scowled. "'You hear and you obey?' How interesting." He wished to indulge the red rage in his heart, but fought it, hoping to prove himself to the Crimson Power once more. But it was taking everything he had not to try to rip the white knight apart.

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
"Well well," Osiris said "it seems that you have a hidden agenda. I'd like to know exactly who you were just talking to and what exactly they said. And if you don't tell me, then I will have to fear the worst, Hyperion Omega. I won't take chances with someone of your power."

"I thought you weren't provoking him?" Tytania hissed.

"That was before he did this," Osiris said "and if he says the name I'm expecting, should he talk, then we will all be more than happy to kill him. I'm sure of that. Speaking of which..."

"In blackest day, in umbral night, with Death's cold voice, I curse your might. With chilling heart I speak thine name, for our future, I end this Black Reign. Guardian Evolution. Raihimon!"

He was instantly clad in Obsidian Digizoid and called for his spear and shield, ready to attack in an instant should the need arise.

"Ready yourselves," he spoke to the Avengers, keeping both eyes fixed on Hyperion.

Nova stared at Hyperion and wondered, had he brought Samhain down on them? Was he responsible for Gatmuz's death?

If so, he would burn.

"For victory's spirit and victory's soul, I call you forth, I tear your soul. I am that which burns with might, I am all the searing light. Slide Evolution. VictoryGreymon!"

She gripped the Dramon Breaker tightly, ready to strike Hyperion down...

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
"...Heh heh..." Strom chuckled. It wasn't a laugh of humour, it was laugh that said 'I'm not surprised'. "Hahahah! So... you're the reason why they're dead! Gatmuz and Theron... Heh heh..." he said, slightly losing it.

The surge of emerald flowed into his eyes, which quickly became stern and cold.

Through the scars of the blazing Wyrmflame, ascend me th’ground with exalted wings and draconic vein! Carry me to avenge the fallen and deliver justice! The future awaits us! Drake Evolution! Examon!

Strom didn't attack Hyperion, but he drew the Ambrosius and pointed it at Hyperion threateningly.

"If there's one thing that I despise more than anything... it's traitors. And you are one, Hyperion Omega. I always knew you were. The irony is bittersweet," Strom replied, not losing his cool.

Erebus readied himself, just in case, but he was more concerned with diverting a potential conflict.

Balion, however, found Erebus' plan boring. "Let's rock and roll!"

"Let's not..." Erebus growled, glaring at Balion.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
With their weapons pointed towards him, Hyperion snarled angrily. He drew the Transcendent Sword and gave a slight chuckle as they all cast a cautious glance in its direction. The Supreme Cannon emerged next, and he stood at the ready, waiting for them to attack...daring them to.

"I do not answer to any of you," he snarled angrily. "That you suspect my betrayal proves to me how insignificant your abilities are and how narrow your vision is. I never believed that you should truly be assembled again; I knew how useless you were. My master commanded it so I held my tongue, but now...I see you for what you truly are. Ingrates, raging monsters, incompetent morons, idealistic fools, broken-hearted criers. And I do not answer to any of you. So I will say one last time...lower your weapons and make way, or way will be made through you."

But none of the Avengers stood down. In fact, Hyperion's words seem to embolden them and incite them to stand fast. Hyperion growled and raised his weapons in preparation.

"Stop," whispered the voice. It was a powerful voice, maddening and totally seductive. The mere whisper stopped everyone in their tracks and wiped their minds of battle. "Stand down, my knight," the voice whispered, sending shivers down each and every spine. As soon as the voice spoke, Hyperion sheathed his weapons, dropped to his knees, and bowed his head.

"I hear and I obey, master," he declared softly.

"So you're his master!" Ajax snarled into the shadows. "Show yourself, as if we don't already know who you are. That phrase, 'I hear and I obey', is the exact same phrase the Black Hands use. Show yourself, Samhain."

"I'm afraid you are mistake, Ajax Ouranos, former bearer of the crimson light of courage," said the voice. Something began to materialize, a form gathered light into itself, glowing bright blue-green. The light faded and revealed the owner of the voice. It was a woman with long green hair, soft pale skin, and delicate features. "I am not Samhain."

"Then who are you?" Ajax demanded.

The woman smiled a smile full of hope. She placed a soft touch on Ajax's cheek, and the sheer power in her touch made Ajax stumble back. Her very presence filled him with something...profound. And she whispered:

"I am Yggdrasil."

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
(Kamotz... you clever... you had us all thinking Samhain... and it's Yggdrasil! But... wait a second... didn't Samhain waste Yggdrasil with Ragnarok?)

Osiris lowered his weapons, but he still doubted the circumstances.

"Hold it," he said quietly "how can we trust your words? I witnessed Yggdrasil's death. Yggdrasil was killed by the Black Hands of Dracul Samhain. Kindly explain how you can be Yggdrasil."

He decided not to threaten 'Yggdrasil', seeing as the being possessed great power regardless of whether she spoke the truth or not.

"Osiris... why don't you trust her?" Tytania asked. He looked at her and she saw the pain of loss in his eyes.

"I don't trust her becuase she claims to be a dead deity."

"But aren't deities generally immortal? As in, they don't die?"

"In all my time in this world," Osiris said "I have never once met something I am sure cannot die. I'm not inclined to believe anything in this world is immortal."

"Osiris," Nova said softly "be careful. Don't provoke her."

"I know that," he muttered, turning back to 'Yggdrasil'.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Strom also stared at this woman claiming to be Yggdrasil. He was with Osiris in not trusting her. "Whoever you are... Speak your intentions!" Strom barked, keeping a steady hold of his lance.

If she was really Yggdrasil, than why did she not help them? And why didn't she command Hyperion to have all of the Avengers to go with Osiris when they sought out Yggdrasil? It all seemed too fishy for him.