• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Digimon: Dark Reign (RPG Thread)

Kamotz

God of Monsters
"Hold your tongue, Strom," Hyperion snarled.

"Rest, my knight," Yggdrasil whispered. "Osiris Soultaker. Osiris the skeptic. You were so willing to accept me before, why not now?"

"Because we saw you die," Kairi answerd for him.

"Oh did you?" Yggdrasil laughed. "I suppose you saw something die. But did you truly think I was so limited in form?" She drew her finger through the air and light followed it. "Though I must admit, this form is the one that pleases me most."

"How did you survive?" Ajax demanded.

"Ajax," Caesar scolded. "This...this is our creator. You must show more respect."

"Do not worry," said Yggdrasil gently. "You are right to be concerned, with everything you have been through. But as Samhain grew to power, I sensed the falling of the Blackest Night, I sensed the coming of Ragnarok and the Digital Hazard. So I retreated deep into the programming layers of the Digital World, where I could search for a champion." She looked to the kneeling Hyperion. "And I found him. I knew what Samhain would plan, so I made a copy of my data and left it behind. No one but Hyperion knew. My copy would perform all of my basic functions while I remained safeguarded. That was what you saw destroyed. I have been here the whole time, guiding you."

"Then why didn't you help us?" Kairi asked. "Why didn't you command Hyperion to bring all of us to your copy? Why not appear before us sooner? Why didn't you just kill Samhain yourself?"

"Hyperion's orders were to see to my protection," Yggdrasil answered. "Ajax's plans to attack Samhain fit with his objectives. Samhain would have noticed that the Yggdrasil before him was a copy. But with his attention elsewhere, my ruse could be complete. And I cannot destroy Samhain."

"Why not?" Ajax demanded.

Hyperion stood and glared at them all angrily. "When you speak to God," Hyperion growled. "You will do so with respect."

"It is alright, Hyperion," said Yggdrasil. "Ajax, my power is dependant on the belief others have in me. With the fall of the Blackest Night, worship and belief in me has faded away, and so has my power. I have no power to bring against Samhain. And now with the Ragnarok at his disposal, he has complete access to the Digital World. He can find you anywhere. That's why he was able to find you at the World Tree. He had his eyes on it, and was waiting for you, to destroy the last trace of me in this world and crush your hope. But hope has a strange way of surviving through the darkest times. When the time was right, I sent Hyperion to gather you. I knew I would need warriors to stand against the Blackest Night."

"And now your blatant disregard for privacy and sheer ignorance has ruined years of careful planning," Hyperion snarled. "Now Samhain will be aware of Yggdrasil's survival and he will stop and nothing to see her destroyed. You asked me once who I answered to. Well now you know. I answer to God, and God alone. And now Samhain will be hunt her to the ends of the Earth. What happens now Avengers, is on your heads."

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
"We shall protect Yggdrasil..." Erebus simply declared. "If there is a hope that we can stand against Samhain."

Strom lowered his lance and sighed. "I apologize... but can I ask you why? If you're our god, then how can you allow these things to happen? The countless deaths of innocent digimon. I know that death on a wide scale may be out of your hands, but..." he trailed off, having said what he needed to say.

Balion, however, had other things on his mind. He stared at Yggdrasil with a raised eyebrow, tinted cheeks, and a stupid grin plastered on his face. "Wow, for a god, she sure is hot..." he thought to himself.

"... There's not a Mr. Yggdrasil, is there, Lady Yggdrasil?" he asked with a sly grin.

Erebus had frankly stopped trying to comprehend Balion's actions.

Hotshot

"... There's not a Mr. Yggdrasil, is there, Lady Yggdrasil?"

Rai bopped him over the head with his arm cannon. "Shut it, Bally."

Karasu chuckled grimly from he sat. When Yggdrasil revealed herself, he had tried to rise, only to fall once again. He was too weak. He hoped she would forgive his dishonor.

She...Yggdrasil...was alive after all, he thought, smiling. Heh...I didn't think Samhain would kill a god that easily. Especially not the one I serve.

Rai grinned up at Yggdrasil. "Ummm...er..." he stuttered, fumbling for words, "Miss...Yggdrasil....? So...I just wanted to say...I'm sorry...I almost gave up after I saw you...well...your copy...die. And I doubted Hyperion too."

He turned to the Omnimon. "I'm sorry about that, Hyperion."

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
Osiris believed her now. Her explaination was a sound one, and he was able to trust it was true.

"I apologize for being so skeptical," he said apologetically "but with everything that's happened... I don't find it easy to trust without having the full story."

"Well, let's make up for it by stopping the Black King," Tytania said grimly "if we stop him, then this world can be a safe place again."

"That's right," Nova murmured "and no one will have to go through losing those they love." Sorrow was plain on her face and Tytania felt sorry for her.

The Lotosmon wondered why. She'd never felt anything besides anger, hate and pain since Siegfried had destroyed her home... so why did she feel sorry for Nova?

"I promise, we will protect you," Osiris said "we will end the Blackest Night and remove Ragnarok from the world. I swear to you that I will give my life to keep you safe, Yggdrasil." He bowed his head out of respect.

"Balion," Tytania growled "shut up before you make a fool of yourself in the presence of our creator, our goddess. Just stop talking period."

Kamotz

God of Monsters
"I apologize... but can I ask you why? If you're our god, then how can you allow these things to happen? The countless deaths of innocent digimon. I know that death on a wide scale may be out of your hands, but..."
"My power is not that of a destroyer," Yggdrasil answered. "I am a creator. And while I can create storms to wash away sin and create light to drive away darkness, my power has been diminished ever since Samhain touched the Digital Hazard of Megidramon." Hyperion looked away in shame. Ajax and the others noticed, but Ajax decided not to press the issue. "I have done all I could to survive. And my heart broke for you and for this world as I was forced to watch Samhain steal the hearts and minds of every Digimon in it until I could hear their prayers and hopes and dreams...no more."

Yggdrasil laughed good-naturedly at Balion's antics, even when it elicited an annoyed growl from her knightly champion. But she sighed as Nova and the others declared their intent.

"Oh, you poor things," she sighed. "The world does not become safe because one great evil is gone. The world has never been safe. Because the world is life. And life is...struggle and defeat...and fleeting. Life is oh-so fleeting. And yes there is goodness in life, there is beauty and love and hope, but they are fleeting. Everlasting qualities of mortality that slip in and out through existence with each passing of the seasons."

"We must go, master," Hyperion urged. "Samhain will know of your existence now. And he will do everything in his power to see you dead. He will send all of his darkness against us. And we cannot stand against that power."

"Oh?" Yggdrasil whispered. "Do you have faith in me, Hyperion?"

"Yes, master," he knelt. "I do. But we are mere mortals hoping to stand against a devil."

"And you fear him?"

"I..." Hyperion struggled with the words. "Yes. I do."

"You fear?" Yggdrasil asked with a smile. "You should fear no one, mighty Hyperion. For yours is the power to end all things."

"A power given by the devil himself," Hyperion spat.

"My champion, Samhain is not the devil," Yggdrasil whispered. "He only wishes to be."

"Nevertheless," Hyperion said. "My power still cannot affect him."

Last edited:

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
"We can fight him regardless," Osiris said "Samhain may be incredibly powerful, but he is only mortal. He wields Ragnarok, but as we saw before, we can distract him if our attacks hit hard enough. He needs focus to wield Ragnarok effectively."

"But even without Ragnarok, he's beyond anything we've ever fought," Nova replied "he turned back All Delete. Even with all our power, even with Caesar's X-Evolution, do you believe we can defeat him?"

"I can hope," Osiris answered "the world may be engulfed in shadow and darkness. But we believe in hope and light, and that gives us something. It gives us the strength to fight. It gives us the willpower to say we don't give in. It gives us a hope for the future."

"Hope?" Tytania said "hope, Osiris? Why do you keep repeating that word like it means something? Look at the world! You think there's hope here! How can you hope? Even if we slay Samhain, do you believe we can ever restore the world from the hell Samhain made of it?"

"If we defeat Samhain," Osiris replied "then we can destroy the Ragnarok system and Yggdrasil can take control again. She can restore the world to what it was if we open the pathway."

"And you yet again fail to realise the magnitude of such a task," Tytania said "we have to fight through the Black Hands, Osiris! How did that go for you last time? Abaddon killed Gatmuz and nearly sent Nova the same way... by himself! What makes you think we can best all seven of them? And assuming we somehow manage that, we then have to face Samhain! And Samhain controls the world now!"

"You forget that we possess something capable of overcoming that edge of his," Nova said, saddened by Tytania's mention of Gatmuz "we have Caesar. He can alter the world too, though not as much as Samhain, he still has a significant advantage. All we need to do is prevent Samhain from accessing Ragnarok."

"Tytania," Osiris said "I can understand why you don't believe we can suceed, but I know we can overcome the odds and win this war. We might number but thirteen against eight billion, but we can still defeat Samhain."

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Strom nodded. "We have to defeat him... for if we don't, then it is as if we've accepted everything he's done to this world and that he is supreme ruler. I will never accept that, so I will not stop fighting until he and his underlings are vanquished. In his deluded ego, he thinks he is god. There is only one god, and Yggdrasil stands in front of us now. Osiris' words have premise."

"For once..." muttered Balion, grumpily rubbing his head where Rai had hit him.

Erebus folded his arms and wings. "I agree with Strom... We will kill the Black King."

Kamotz

God of Monsters
"If this is your true wish," said Hyperion. "If you want to stand against Samhain...then you must be prepared for the terror he will hurl upon you from the blackest pits. He will send legions of Diaboromon and Armageddemon. He will send all his Black Hands together. He will send each and every Digimon in the Digital World to cut you down. Is this what you truly want?"

"You already know that answer, Hyperion," Ajax replied.

"Will you stand with me as I stand?" Hyperion asked cerimoniously, repeating the words that Ajax had said. "Will you fight with me as I fight? Will you bleed with me as I bleed? And will you burn with me as I burn?" He looked into the eyes of each and every Avenger. And he knew the answer. "Then we are Avengers no longer."

"What do you mean?" Kairi asked.

"You are Warbound," Yggdrasil answered. "For there is nothing left to avenge."

"There's still the world," Ajax said.

"The world hates you," Yggdrasil countered. "All it knows is Samhain. All it loves is Samhain."

"And those we lost?" Kairi asked. "What about them? What about Arahon, Braon, Boagrius, Theron, Gatmuz, Fabian...Karmas...what about them?"

"Let the dead be at peace," said Yggdrasil. "Let no more blood be spilled on their account."

"We need a plan," said Hyperion. "We cannot rush in blindly. We cannot face them the same way we have done before. There are Diaboromon, Armageddemon, the Black Hands, and Dracul Samhain himself. We cannot fight the same way..."

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
"A plan?" Osiris murmured. He turned ideas over in his head for quite a while, before turning up nothing he thought had even a good chance of success.

"I've got nothing," he admitted "I can't see any plausible attack plan... even with all our power, my Ancient Evolution, the Burst Modes, Rai's MegaGargomon form, Ajax's Crimson Mode, Caesar and Hyperion's X-Evolutions... I can't see anything with a great margin of success. I accept that there's risk in every plan... but I can't see any plan with more than a fifty percent chance of succeeding."

"What, even though Hyperion can kill gods and Caesar can move like light?" Tytania said.

"The issue is that yes, they are capable of that normally, but we're talking about an enemy with the ability to completely nullify those advantages," Osiris replied "you saw Samhain use All Delete to negate Hyperion's own, and we all saw him use Ragnarok to hold Caesar in place. We can't just think our regular strengths will be of any use. How much did you hammer away at Samhain in his castle, Tytania? If he even survived a Sovereign level attack, what will kill him?"

"He seemed pretty fazed by Caesar," the Lotosmon replied sharply.

"Only once he was unable to hold Caesar down with Ragnarok," Nova countered.

"Nova's right. Samhain can comfortably handle anything we bring to bear. We all possess a great deal of power, but compared to him, we might as well be Rookies."

"And? So what if he's powerful! You said we weren't giving up!" Tytania shouted.

"I didn't mention the words 'giving up'," Osiris said quietly "I just said I couldn't see a plan with a good chance of success. Ajax, Yggdrasil... do you have any ideas?"

Kamotz

God of Monsters
"The key to our failure is Samhain's control over Ragnarok," Ajax pointed out. "If we remove that from the equation, our chance for success increases dramatically. There are twelve of us, and seven Black Hands. If we play our cards right, we'll have the advantage. If we can separate Samhain from Ragnarok...if not, he's literally stronger than God."

"I can combat the Ragnarok System if I can reach Dracul Samhain," Yggdrasil said. "I can purge it from him and drive it to a program level where we would be on even footing. Once their, my sentience and imagination would give me the advantage."

"No," Hyperion said firmly. "You could die. If Samhain caught on to what we were planning, he'd stop you...create a firewall...and you'd kill yourself. I will not allow that."

"Oh, noble Hyperion," Yggdrasil whispered. "My faithful knight. You are so willing to lay down your life for me. Would you not let me do the same?"

"You entrusted me with your protection," Hyperion said. "I cannot protect you if you are dead."

"Have faith, my knight," Yggdrasil said softly.

"So twelve of us and seven Black Hands," Kairi said. "Any idea how many millions of Diaboromon, Armageddemon, and Death-X Digimon will be around?"

"Probably around eight billion in total," Hyperion answered. "More than enough to kill us without a second thought even with all our power at its fullest. And we'll have to carve a path through that before we even reach the Black Hands."

"Not if you unleash the Crest of Miracles," said Yggdrasil. "Under my guidance, it can disable the Black Legions. Then all you are left with are the Black Hands."

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
"Nidhogg's mine," Strom said firmly.

"He's undead, Strom..." Erebus cautioned.

"I'll find a way."

"You shouldn't let your feelings get in the way of rationality."

"Feelings are what seperate us from them," Strom countered.

Erebus went silent for a few moments. "... If you insist."

"I'll take whoever dares to try a piece of this!" Balion cockily decreed, drawing his beam sword and shield.

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
"You both make good points," Osiris noted "but we still have the problem of the Black Hands. They're all incredibly strong individually... although, our numerical advantage might overcome that, if we all ascend to our highest forms. But we cannot get drawn into one-on-one fights with any of them. One of them can easily outmatch one of us. Nova... can I trust you not to do anything rash and go after Abaddon?"

"You have my word," she murmured softly.

"And Tytania," Osiris said "do you promise me you won't try to fight Siegfried or Samhain?"

"I can't make a promise like that," she replied "becuase we don't know what circumstances might force us to do."

Osiris looked at her with something in his eyes, some emotion she didn't know.

"We've lost enough brave souls to the Black Hands," he murmured "don't make me suffer more loss, Tytania. I can't take much more."

"I cannot promise you anything."

"Try and promise," he said quietly. She looked him in the eyes and she saw the loss and pain, the shadows of the fallen and the lost. She saw the eye of the storm, the barely restrained rage and she knew, he could not hold this calm before the storm forever.

"I will try and hold myself back," she murmured.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Strom noticed Nova still looking heartbroken. He cloaked his wings around himself the best that he could and walked over to her, wanting to help in some way.

"Nova..." he said softly, which was rather hard with a rocky voice of a dragon. "...Well... After this is all done... us defeating Samhain and the Black Hands... If you ever want to talk to someone about Gatmuz... I am happy to listen." He took a brief pause. "... And if there's anything I can do in his honour... anything... then I will do it. You have my word on that."

Erebus watched Strom's attempt to comfort Nova with some degree of curiousity.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
"Then we need a plan for dealing with each of them," said Ajax. "First up is Lazarus. He's probably the weakest overall, but he's dangerous like nothing else we've ever faced."

"I'll fight him," said Kairi. "I've fought him one-on-one before. I know what to expect. Who's up next?" She didn't leave room for argument.

Ajax sighed. "Next is Siegfried. He's mine," said the knight. "But I could probably use some help." He glanced at Tytania. "Not you. The last thing I need is someone going off the handle and ruining a perfect opportunity because of some blood-sworn vengeance. I need someone with a level head. Preferably Balion or Karasu" He continued. "Belial is next. We need someone who can match his strength...Nova. Tytania, he's yours. Be careful though. Nidhogg...are you sure, Strom?"

Strom was sure.

"Really?" Hyperion wondered. "You won't win. Even with your exalted form, you won't. Even if you can overcome his might he still has Death-X Evolution in his arsenal. You won't win. Even if you kill Nidhogg..."

"What do you mean?" Kairi asked.

"Even if you slay the living death that walks," said Yggdrasil. "You will still have killed Arahon Alpha. For to kill Nidhogg is to kill Arahon."

"Damn," Ajax hissed. But he wasn't surprised. With the fates of Uriel and Castiel revealed, Ajax had suspected Arahon of sharing their fates. Now he knew. "Erebus, back him up. Marduk is trouble, but I'm betting Rai wants another crack at him. And there's still Azazel and Abaddon to consider."

"And I must accompany Yggdrasil to Samhain," said Hyperion.

"Hyperion, let Caesar-"

"No!" Hyperion said loudly, cutting Ajax off. "It is my sworn duty to protect her against all things. I will not leave her side."

"Thank you, my knight," whispered Yggdrasil.

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
"I will fight Azazel," Osiris said "I can deal with him on my own terms. As for Abaddon... Caesar, are you able to defeat Abaddon?"

"Belial..." Nova murmured...

Why that one Black Hand... why the one she had always fought alongside Gatmuz? The very memory brought tears to her eyes, the sorrow overwhelming, the misery and pain drowning her, like an ocean falling from the sky to drown her with loss, with agony, with a world of suffering and heartbreak...

She looked at Strom, recalling his words and as she looked into his eyes, she knew he spoke sincerely.

"Thank you," she whispered.

Tytania looked at her ally and felt a stab of pity. It had been so long, she mused, so long since she had ever had to deal with anything like it, any issues of emotion. The only injury she'd seen for so long had been wounds of the flesh, but now she saw a wound of the heart...

And she realised, heart hurt far more. With damage dealt to skin and bone, with cuts and bruises and the like, the damage would fade eventually. But with emotional wounds, with heartbreak and loss... that pain endured forever and ever, until Death banished the agony and embraced heart and soul into blissful darkness.

"Do you feel anything else?" Osiris asked her, standing by her side and looking at Nova too "have you remembered it, Tytania, remembered the emotions beyond anger and hate? If you haven't... then you should look at yourself and change before you begin to spiral into damnation. Becuase... in the end, there is always a time for us to lay down our arms and repair the damage of war. There will always be peace, periods of calm before another storm. What will you do then?"

"I... don't know," she whispered "war has been my only comfort for so long... ever since I burnt, Osiris, ever since I embraced this wretched state... all I've known is anger and hate."

"You are not wretched," he replied, turning his gaze towards her "look at me, Tytania." She looked into his eyes and there was something there, the same sorrow, the same anger... but he held it so well, so tightly bound, that he seemed so eternally calm, only revealing the slightest amount of anger when the storm raged against confinement... and yet... like any storm, it wouldn't be bound forever.

"You are fire and ice and rage," she said quietly.

"How so?"

"Becuase you burn with the flames of revenge, yet you bind them with the ice of calm. And lurking so deep in your soul... you have such rage, so deeply held, so well-bound... yet in but a second it could spring forth into the world and you would become a god... a vengeful god, a true God of Death. You would be the night, the storm at the heart of the sun. And somehow... you would be so magnificent and wonderful..."

"How do you see so deep into my soul?" Osiris murmured.

"Becuase I know the very pain you know, I feel the same rage you feel. We both lost everything... we both ran and never stopped running, we ran from the pain and buried it with rage... but you embraced the pain. You are braver than I am... becuase you turned and faced the agony."

"And you haven't," Osiris murmured "you keep on running, never looking back... becuase you dare not... becuase you fear that your heart will break under the agony if you dare look back for even a second... all you can do is keep on running and killing to push the pain further away... but you destroy yourself all for a respite. You would embrace that which you hate... becuase you fear what lies in your past."

She couldn't answer, but he knew her answer regardless. Without a spoken invitation, he embraced her and held her close, reassuring her with his touch.

"We are both so alone," he said to her "becuase we have both lost so much. We are two sole survivors, running from the ashes of what we had and now do not... becuase it is all we can do. We both lost those we loved to fire and darkness."

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
She looked at Strom, recalling his words and as she looked into his eyes, she knew he spoke sincerely.

"Thank you," she whispered.

Strom placed his claw gently on her shoulder and silently nodded. No more words needed to be spoken on his part. The Examon then turned around to face Hyperion and Ajax.

"He is not Arahon Alpha anymore. ...I will win, for his sake," Strom growled.

"We will win," Erebus corrected.

Balion also idly swung his Ulforce Sabre around. "I wouldn't mind having another go at Siegfried... Maybe I could see if I can best Ajax in skill, unlike my late mentor, Gotungir. Though, I wouldn't mind taking out any of the Black Hands. It's up to birdman over there," said Balion, pointing at Karasu.

Last edited:

Hotshot

"...Forgive me, Balion," Karasu said thoughtfully, stroking his chin, "but I think you may be more help to Rai than I would be against one such as Marduk. If you do not mind, I will aid Ajax in his fight against Siegfried."

Rai chuckled. "And I'll get a chance to totally leave you in the dust!"

Rai and Karasu exchanged glances. The Rapidmon was the first to speak up (as usual). "Hey, bird-brain, don't get all impaled, okay?"

"...look who's talking..." Karasu replied, raising an eyebrow. "Don't worry about me. I'll be with Ajax, and you will be with Balion. We will succeed."

Rai looked playfully over his shoulder at the UlForceVeedramon. "I dunno 'bout that. He might get in my way...hehehe..."

"Just do what you did to Marduk before, and all will be okay," Karasu said, folding his wings across his chest.

"...Ya mean blow 'im to little pieces? That I can do."

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
"No problem," Balion ensured. "Now I can show that metallic bunny who's the better of the two," he said with a smirk.

"Balion, Rai," Erebus said. "This is not a competition. There is too much at stake to treat it like a game... Besides, I'd rather not either of you die... Rai more than Balion, but still. You two need to work together to defeat Marduk."

Balion let out a groan. "You're no fun, Erebus... but that's a monumental understatement."

Erebus allowed a slight grin to appear on his face before going back to folding his arms.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
"Then it's settled," said Ajax. "Karasu and I will deal with Siegfried. Kairi, you're up against Lazarus. Nova and Tytania are facing Belial. Balion and Rai will deal with Marduk. Strom and Erebus against Nidhogg. Osiris against Azazel. Hyperion will bring Yggdrasil to Samhain and the Ragnarok. And Caesar will deal with Abaddon."

"Sounds like a plan to me," said Kairi. "As long as Yggdrasil and Caesar can freeze up those legions, we should probably be able to take this...this might just work."

"It must," said Yggdrasil. "To fail is to no longer exist. Now, Kairi, if you will."

"Teleport?" Kairi asked. Yggdrasil nodded. "But...I don't know where, or if we'll end up right in a throng of Diaboromon."

"Let my hand guide you," said Yggdrasil. "Have faith."

And Kairi did, and she felt the guiding hand of God as she teleported through the Digital World. Light engulfed them guiding them through layers of data and torrents of information. They emerged from the light on a cliff overlooking a great barren valley. The entire valley was stone, all vegetation and dirt was seared away. Twisting stony protrusions jutted out from the ground at odd angles, as if hell itself was trying to claw its way through the ground. It was a terrible, desolate place. And at the center of it all was the massive castle, the new keep of Dracul Samhain. Since obtaining the Ragnarok, he had restructured this area, bending and twisting it to fit his needs and desires. And in this valley, between the warbound and their monstrous enemy, were scores of Infermon, Diaboromon, Armageddemon, DexDoruGreymon, and DexDorugamon. Millions upon millions; legions upon legions.

Samhain had been busy.

"Caesar Magnus," said Yggdrasil. "Bringer of miracles and the golden light...it is time."

Caesar nodded and closed his eyes as his armor began to glow. It cast a calming warm light over the warbound. The Crest of Miracles lit from his armor and appeared before him. He placed his hands on the glowing surface of the crest's image and Yggdrasil placed her hands on the other side. Their palms touched, and Caesar shivered at the profound presence that flowed through him. She truly was God.

The golden light of miracles washed over the world. Under Yggdrasil's guiding hand, the light sought out the hearts of Samhain's monsters, twisted by his dark voice, and the light froze them in its magnificence. They spasmed for several moments and then stopped moving. And all was still in the valley of death.

"Did you really think it would be that easy?" Samhain's voice roared from his keep. It echoed across the world. "I have Ragnarok! Your miracle cannot overcome my power!" Samhain extended his might over his frozen soldiers, willing them back to movement. And while a small few dozen were freed from Caesar and Yggdrasil's efforts, the vast majority remained petrified.

"But it can," said Yggdrasil. "For miracles are precisely that. They exist to defy all conventional thought. And they bring hope."

The freed Infermon, Diaboromon, Armageddemon, DexDoruGreymon, and DexDorugamon didn't seem too interested in that hope fostering, and they prepared to meet the Avengers head on. Ajax realized that a drawn out battle with the monsters wouldn't go well, especially if he Black Hands got involved.

"Caesar, Hyperion," Ajax said. "Take point. Clear a path." The two knights, one gold and one white surged forward. Yggdrasil remained close to Hyperion as the white knight carved his way through the beasts and made a path for the rest of the team. "Everyone, get ready," Ajax ordered. He watched as Hyperion and Caesar worked together to efficiently finish to two Armageddemon that remained.

The path was clear.

"Let's go!" Ajax called out. They rushed forward, surging across the desolate valley until they reached the keep. The Black Hands were waiting for them. The two factions charged each other. Ajax and Karasu veered off to face Siegfried. Caesar rocketed ahead and slammed into Abaddon. Hyperion surged forward with Yggdrasil at his side.

The final battle had begun.

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
Nova and Tytania soared side by side, seeing the immense form of Belial and instantly loosing their Burst Modes shine brightly through the darkness...

"I burn with fire, I shine with light, the storm in the sun, the sun of night! With faith, with hope so bright, I shall bring salvation with all my might! Burst Evolution! ShineGreymon Burst Mode!"

"Blood-red Death, tearing pain, you are my gift, you are my gain! Chilling flames, pitch-dark flower, bloom with hope, my savior power! Burst Evolution! Rosemon Burst Mode!"

Tytania's Burst Mode was changed. Somehow, her anger was fading, brightening her Burst Mode aura from bloody red to the bright pink it was supposed to be.

The two readied their weapons and charged Belial, Fire and Rose together against Shadow...

---------

Osiris charged Azazel, thrusting out with his spear, but his strike was blocked with a single blow from Azazel's fist. The fallen angel kicked out, but his blow caught Osiris's shield and the Raihimon resisted, bringing his spear up and slashing it into Azazel's wings.

The hell-twisted angel hissed in pain, kicking both spear and shield aside before gripping Osiris by the neck in a vice-like grip.

"Shadow Shockwave!" Azazel called. Lightning burst from his grip, running through Osiris. The Raihimon writhed and screamed in pain as Azazel watched with twisted amusement.

Osiris fell limp in Azazel's grip as the attack ended, but Azazel simply let go and kicked him away with a powerful blow to the stomach. Osiris cried out in pain, watching his spear and shield fall to the ground, but he spread his wings on instinct and stopped his fall. Two sharp words returned spear and shield to his grip.

He charged at Azazel again, watching the demonic celestial with great care this time.

"Seven Hells!" Azazel roared, raising both hands and forming the dakr stars of hellfire before a short gesture sent them screaming through the sky towards Osiris.

"Defense Shield!" the Raihimon called out. He raised his shield to block one of the stars, barely stopping himself from being pushed back by the force of that attack, and managing to evade the others, though some came close to striking him. He growled in rage and kept charging, readying his spear.

"BLAZING SPEAR!" he roared, igniting his weapon and stabbing it at Azazel, tearing open a gash in the fallen angel's thigh. Azazel hissed in pain, before drawing back one hand.

"Testament!" he howled, forming a great sphere of shadow and flame in his palm before before slamming it into Osiris with incredible force, sending a surge of dark power through the Avenger and knocking him back.

Both combatants stayed still for a short while, Osiris gasping for breath, Azazel barely affected by the battle so far.

"Well well," Azazel said "you managed to wound me, then." He ran his fingers over the cut in his thigh with amusement.

"I'll kill you," Osiris growled "be amused by that, Azazel."

"I'm amused you think yourself capable of that feat when you're alone."

"I know I, and my warriors can prevail over you and the other six Black Hands," Osiris said, with a hint of pride in his voice "and I know we'll leave this place with Samhain's stinking carcass in our wake!"

"Is that so?" Azazel laughed "how will these... Avengers, no, these Warbound of yours do that?"

"Becuase we have hope," Osiris replied "hope and faith. So long as we hold hope in our hearts, we can overcome you. We can defeat the Blackest Night. We will destroy you, these legions and that ******* Samhain!"

"Perhaps," Azazel laughed "but tell me, Osiris, will they thank you?"

Osiris felt numb at his words. Those four words... he didn't understand their meaning... and somehow they terrified him regardless.

"What do you mean?!"

"What, you can't realise? You can't answer? The question stands. Will they thank you?"

"I don't understand!"

"Oh, you fool," Azazel laughed "tell me, you truly think filling your friends hearts and minds with hope and light and courage and friendship would be enough to overcome the Black King and his Legions?" He gestured to the frrozen demons and beasts below. "If so, you are naught but an idealistic fool devoid of logic and intelligence."

"We can defeat you!"

"Tell me though," Azazel said calmly "my question, my oh-so-important question... it still needs to be answered... will they thank you? Don't you see the future, Osiris Soultaker? Don't you see tomorrow and all the days after?"

"I see them alright," Osiris snarled "and those days are devoid of your filthy stain on the world!"

"Oh, no no no," Azazel chuckled "you idealistic fool, Osiris. Will these Avengers, these Warbound, these heroes, will they thank you? Will they thank you when they burn and scream and die in the blackest pits, when their hearts and souls and minds are destroyed by the darkness, the Blackest Night? Will they thank you, you who filled their hearts and minds with poison, with false hope, with lies of a bright future? Will they thank you, who led them into this battle and war and told them they would emerge with glory, as the saviors of the world, as heroes?"

"Becuase, Osiris Soultaker, you know the answer. You know the answer and it freezes your heart, it fills your soul with terror."

"Becuase the answer is... no. They will not thank you, they will curse you. They will never thank you."

The words stabbed at Osiris like scalding knives, he had never stopped, never asked himself whether the hope he preached was false or true, whether what he spoke was even possible...