• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Digimon: Devil's Ascent (RPG Thread)

Hotshot

"Oh, and for anyone who does care, I'm alive again," Samael said, stepping forward. "Just thought I'd put that out there."

Sha sprung up like a daisy directly in front of Samael, arms outstretched for an excited embrace. Grinning, the Shawjamon wrapped his lanky arms around his fellow demon in his own version of a bug-hug. "Sammy! I'm so glad you're not dead! I was gonna be so sad if you were killed, but you're not!"

With that, the amphibious demon released Samael and patted the Beelzemon on the head. "I forgot to say that earlier."

Meanwhile, mistaking Svarog's affectionate embracing of the Peacemakers' womenfolk as simply for everyone, Gigas practically leaped at the god of fire and snagged him in a massive hug. Swinging Svarog around wildly, the HerculesKabuterimon boomed, "Svarog! Ho ho ho! You're back! And not evil! Oh, this is so happy! I'm so happy I think I could cry! Bwo ho ho ho ho!"

"Say," muttered a certain Puppetmon who had grown quite irritated at the group's incessant bickering, "I just realized, it's been a while since I've taken part in any of these arguments."

Nocchi paused and checked himself. "Actually, it's been a while since I've said anything at all. Wasn't much to talk about over there with salamander-brain an' the gang."

Gigas, noticing the presence of his best friend, practically threw Svarog aside and rushed to greet the Puppetmon. Nocchi held up his arms in terror and squealed, "Wait, no! Not the nose!"

Moments later he was trapped (and nearly smothered completely) within Gigas' hulking arms. The HerculesKabuterimon swung him around and around, laughing happily all the while. "Ho ho, Nocchi! I'm so glad you're back safe and sound, buddy!"

"So ya go an' crush me, huh?" the Puppetmon replied, his voice muffled. "I see how it is!"

Gigas held him up, wearing an inquisitive look on his insectoid visage. "Sorry, what did you say?"

Nocchi rolled his eyes. "Nothin', Gig. Glad to see you too."

Ivy limped towards them slowly. She had managed to heal most of her own wounds: bleeding gashes from Lucien's savage claws, but still felt the effects of battle. Her head was spinning, her body ached all over. She had reverted back into her Lillymon X form and was staggering over to the rest of the Peacemakers.

"What...what happened?" she whispered.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
"Oh, and for anyone who does care, I'm alive again," Samael said, stepping forward. "Just thought I'd put that out there."

"Whoopdie do," Gunnar deadpanned.

Tiwaz arched his eyebrow and let out a 'humph' at the livid angel. "I certainly wasn't expecting a warm welcome, but sheesh; so much for acting like adults. The expression 'having the patience of a Saint' doesn't seem to be all that accurate..." he snarked, frankly too exhausted from the trip and the prospect of Milleniummon to be bothered to get worked up or offended. "Do you want to be praised for holding Milleniummon back?" Tiwaz gestured to himself and Fenrir. "We've held him back too. Wasn't so easy, was it? And, unless my memory fails me, you were the one who told me to leave last time with whoever wished to come with me. If you're going to point a finger, at least have the integrity to assign blame to yourself when it's due."

"Don't get him more worked up, Tiwaz," Tyr pleaded in a whimper. "I hate all this fighting.

Tiwaz rolled his eyes. "Relax, Tyr, I won't. He's not worth the trouble, anyways."

""Maybe. But I did it alone, and with one hand. And no one under my command died," Michael replied icily.

Tiwaz's face scrunched into a pained grimace for but a moment, though he soon relaxed and defiantly stared back at Michael as though he hadn't been affected by his words at all. "Well... tell that to Perun; he was alone too. I guess you don't remember since you were half-dead and barely conscious at the time ...And maybe next time you should use both hands, though I hope to Buri there is no next time."

The Hand of God returned the stare. "Perhaps my memory of that day is a bit lacking. I was, after all, but an Angemon of lowly rank, while you were the "Great Ten" and Perun, and had the powers of ancient gods. Though I do seem to remember Praamzius scolding Perun-and you and Fenrir-like children--"

"Ha! That sounds like Father," Svarog interrupted in a chuckle.

"--when your idiocy sent you rushing back and nearly got you--and Odin--killed. If that is how you wish to fight, then do so elsewhere, for I do not have the stomach to bury these Peacemakers. And that is the road you lead them down with blind heroics and thoughtless action. However, if you want to stay and fight alongside us then remember that I am commander here. If you stay you will follow my orders--as everyone does, begrudgingly or not--and keep disgruntlement to yourself, as everyone does."

"Hmph," Tiwaz scoffed, though he took a moment to think about it. "I'm man enough to swallow my pride when I need to. I'll begrudgingly follow your orders. I'm doing this for the sake of the world, not for you; I know Fenrir's staying and I know there will be a time when we will need my--no--Perun's power. However, if you're going to be our leader, then act like it. Stop pouting, blaming others, and acting like you can do no wrong. I will not allow my teammates to die because of poor leadership... Not again. ...That said, I'm not going anywhere," the dragon replied firmly.

Michael growled lowly, turned around and walked over to the campfire. There he basically collapsed, half-asleep before hitting the ground.

Tiwaz stared firmly at the others. "Right, that's settled with. So we don't or can't look for him? We just sit around, waiting for him to plot and prepare and hoping he doesn't raise a second abomination from the past?" The AncientGreymon looked at Thor and Svarog. "Hey, do either of you remember anything while you were being controlled by Conquest and War? Have you, by any chance, overheard what Mephistopheles planned to do after raising Milleniummon?"

"That would be too convenient," Kheprius said sarcastically, wiping the remaining dirt off of his face. He looked over to Pyra.

The Paildramon made eye contact with him and attempted to remain calm as he started walking over to her. She was still flustered by Svarog's sudden kiss. Pyra was beginning to grow tired of all of the abrupt displays of affection, which left her flustered. Kheprius halted in front of her and offered her a tiny smirk. "So... I see you found your precious mutt," he said, nodding in the direction Fenrir (and thus, Azur).

"Kheprius, I..." she began, but closed her mouth. "...Yes."

"Uhh... Did you tell 'im?" he questioned, referring to his kiss. "I'm guessing no since he hasn't tried to maul me yet."

Pyra shook her head. "No... He was unconscious. I'm still not even sure I plan to."

Khep tilted his head back and folded his arms curiously. "Unconscious? Did he have a few too many?"

"No," she said, wincing. "He was captured by Mephistophles. Fenrir was able to escape though."

"The hell?" he said with an almost chuckle. "Captured? How the hell did that happen?"

Pyra sighed. "I'll tell you later..." She looked at Kheprius and frowned. "...You're bleeding. ...Again," she said, gesturing to his mouth which had a small trickle of blood leaking from it.

"Sibling rivalry," he nonchalantly answered, thumbing over his shoulder towards Barachiel.

She gestured the insect digimon to sit down. "That's some rivalry. I still find it hard to believe that you two are really brothers," she spoke with a slight grin.

"That's what he thinks too," Khep replied, his face serious.

Pyra's smirk disappeared and she started to feel guilty for the comment. "Sorry."

"Don't sweat it," Khep answered, looking at her. A grin soon formed of his scarab-like visage. "...Actually, you'd look pretty good drenched in sweat. Maybe some mud rubbed here and there... Yeah... You know what? Sweat it all you want!"

Pyra grinned and punched his shoulder, only hard enough to knock him over. "You never quit, do you?"

"I'll quit when you stop being so damn hot," he retorted, sitting himself up.

The female digimon in question took on a level, thoughtful look before looking at Khep. "Kheprius... I need to talk to you about that kiss sometime," she said, though she wasn't the least bit excited about it.

The insect digimon looked down. "Yeah... In the morning, okay?" he told her. "I'm still pretty pissed from being electrocuted and punched. I need to get some rest."

Pyra nodded. "Right... Okay."

-

Tiwaz had settled in the grass not far from Fenrir. He looked at the AncientGarurumon tentatively. That is, until Tyr's voice rang out in his head.

"Tiwaz? Can we switch places so that I can go hug Samael?" he asked, ecstatic that the demon was back in one piece and that the two gods were free.

"Err... No," was the answer. "I think he's all hugged out from Sha."

"Can I at least go talk to Gunnar?"

"...Later, okay? I need to speak with Fenrir," Tiwaz said. The large dragon then cleared his throat, getting the god of light's attention. "Fenrir," he hailed, a bit uncertainly. "You never answered my question earlier. ...Where were you all this time? I find it hard to believe that you just wouldn't use your AncientGarurumon form in all those battles, so...?"

Last edited:

PeeGee

ROAWR!
Tia gave a little laugh, to her Svarog's flirting was hilarious. She appreciated the gesture that the Apollomon was giving, but there was something that she needed to attend to.

"Thanks darling," she purred, "But I am not interested, and I have to go deal with something."

She scooted away from Svarog and the other ladies and searched for a particular digimon.

"Kole!" she squealed, spotting the Piedmon and running over to him. "You're okay!"

Kole looked at the Bastemon with a look of surprise. "Tia, you're here."

"Of course I am here," she replied, "You didn't think I would just leave you to fight Millenniummon did you?"

"Tia, I didn't actually fight Millenniummon, that was Michael," pointed out Kole, "Though it was a very sweet gesture that you thought of me."

"You big softie you," smiled Tia, pulling the harlequin into a big hug.

---------------

Hira watched in the distance as Tia hugged Kole, his face contorted into a feral glare. He was so sick of that stupid clown, and the fact that he was definitely hitting on his woman. Normally the Mihiramon would have no problems directly confronting someone that he didn't like, but ever since Kole had attacked him with one of Apocalymon's attacks he had been incredibly weary around him, that was when he could stand to be around Kole.

----------------

"Hira's glaring at me again," said Kole into Tia's ear.

"Really?" asked Tia without an ounce of disbelief, "What is it that he has against you?"

"I don't know," replied Kole, "I think it might have something to do with the fact that I know you or something."

"Really?" she asked, pulling away from Kole, "He's acting a bit like a little child, don't you think?"

"I think we just need to ignore his behaviour, it is actually a bit cute when you think about it."

"Why?" asked Tia.

Kole raised his eyebrow, realising that Tia was oblivious to the ever so obvious fact Hira had a bit of a crush on Tia.

Fenrir had to raise an eyebrow at Michael’s outburst. It apparently seemed that the angel finally knew of Tiwaz’s well-known stubborn that had gotten he himself and the dragon in many a bouts and arguments…which had also caused them and the rest of the Great Ten their own set of troubles and setbacks that the warrior of light would rather not think about. It would remind him of their past, and then their allies by default. That would not do anything to lighten his mood.

He simply stayed silent as he watched Michael end his tirade and fall to rest. It would do him good. Any argument with the AncientGreymon is usually accompanied with rest.

"Fenrir," he hailed, a bit uncertainly.

Speak of the devil,’ Fenrir thought, and then grimaced at the thought. He didn’t want to think about devils or demons any time soon. He turned to the dragon, his expression blank.

“Tiwaz,” he replied, nodding slightly.

"You never answered my question earlier. ...Where were you all this time? I find it hard to believe that you just wouldn't use your AncientGarurumon form in all those battles, so...?"

The AncientGarurumon blinked. “Ah,” he said at first, closing his eyes and remembering the scant few battles Azur had partaken. There weren’t a lot, but his descendant, and the Peacemakers, would have benefitted had he been around.

“First of all…this AncientGarurumon form…is not mine,” he started, looking away. “It’s Azur’s. As hard as it is to believe, I think I’m just a little more than lingering remnants and memories of who I was before the end of my life.”

The words seem to bring Tiwaz to halt for a few seconds, not expecting it. “Is that so?” he asked with a raised eyebrow, regaining his composure. “Because this AncientGreymon form sure feels like mine. Tyr didn’t even control it the first time he evolved,” he added, raising his head indignantly as he glared at his fellow ancient.

Fenrir shook his head. He somehow found it fitting that Tiwaz would find offense in something that he simply opined about. “But Azur can,” he replied, sighing and trying to make his tone of voice sound calm and inoffensive. “Ever since…what strength from Dunk came to him, he has always been the stronger entity. It wasn’t a dna digivolution with his brother, like ours with Perun, that he took control. It was normal digivolution,” he explained turning to face the dragon.

The AncientGarurumon stared at Tiwaz, letting the information sink into his mind, before speaking once more. “…Haven’t you ever wondered why we’re here again, Tiwaz?” he asked, his voice sounding far away.

“Yes,” Tiwaz replied, frowning and looking down. “I’ve wondered why I’m alive while I everyone I know…isn’t,” he said, finishing with a grunt and a shake of his head. “Why do you think we’re here?” he asked, a bit heatedly.

Fenrir looked away, silent for the few moments that he understood Tiwaz’s pain. Then he spoke, “…I can only answer with my own musings. The…conditions of our revival and return are different.”

“Well then? Go on and muse,” the AncientGreymon said impatiently.

The AncientGarurumon sighed in return, shaking his head before turning back to the dragon. “Tell me, can you move Tyr’s body when you’re not in AncientGreymon form?”

With a resolute nod, Tiwaz answered, “I can. Both VictoryGreymon and EmperorGreymon.”

And Fenrir smiled a bit ruefully. “I can’t control Azur’s WereGarurumon form,” he started. “…or any other of his forms, and not because of a lack of trying.”

One of Tiwaz’s eyebrows rose. “Why not? Is Azur just stronger than Tyr or something?” he questioned with a slight tilt of his head.

Fenrir shook his head slowly. “No…I think…it may be that my reason for being here is drastically different from yours,” he said, his voice hiding the slight doubt in his voice.

“I don’t know what you’re babbling about,” Tiwaz stated, frowning. “Get to the point. What’s this ‘reason’ stuff you’ve been mentioning, Fen?”

“Impatient as always,” Fenrir said as he rolled his eyes. “You’re here because of your presence – your unignorable aura, stubborn hotheadedness, ability to lead and compassion for everyone – is needed. You have always been a person who couldn’t be ignored, even when you wanted to be,” he told the dragon before looking away. “…and I am only here to guide Azur along to achieve his greatest potential…to draw out the best of his ability,” he finished.

“’Needed’? You mean like fate?” Tiwaz repeated, blinking and frowning. “That’s a load of crap, Fenrir. We’re not bound to some string that leads us along to our destiny. We’re here by pure, freak, coincidence. We all have the ability to change the outcome of our future with our actions. I made all the decisions I did, not some higher power!” he said, his voice getting louder with each word, until finally, he looked away. “…I made all of them,” he finished, panting.

Fenrir simply let the dragon speak his mind – it was never a good idea to interrupt Tiwaz when he was talking. It usually meant an argument. “…And that, Tiwaz, is why you’re here. I’ve already given myself up to fate…a long time ago,” he replied in a slow, melancholic tone.

The ancient of fire grimaced and looked down. “I…don’t know,” he said, turning back to Fenrir. “I don’t buy it. And what do you mean you gave yourself up to fate? If anyone’s as damn stubborn as me, it’s you,” he admitted, raising an eyebrow in questioning.

All he received was shake of a head. “That is…another story for another day,” Fenrir told him. “But it doesn’t change the fact that my recent acts are for Azur’s benefit, and in return, everyone else’s.”

To Fenrir’s surprise, Tiwaz seemed to grin and shake his head in disbelief…or nostalgia. “That’s a roundabout way of saying you won’t tell me. Again,” he told him, proving to Fenrir once more that the dragon is a lot more observant than he would usually give him credit for. “And so you’re saying that your long disappearance was for Azur?”

Fenrir nodded silently, turning his head to his hands. He clenched and unclenched them, watching as the muscles underneath the gloves tightened and loosened.

Tiwaz shook his head in disbelief. “I still don’t get it. If this form isn’t yours, how come you could digivolve into it today?” he asked, and Fenrir allowed himself a small smirk.

“Sheer anger,” he replied. “Though this body is not mine, it will still respond to strong emotions, just as it did when both Azur and Dunkelheit wanted to save Pyra,” he told Tiwaz.

The dragon nodded. “I suppose…” he thought, refreshing his mind. “…that’s how Tyr was able to ‘awaken’ me when he was still inexperienced…?” Tiwaz wondered.

“Perhaps,” Fenrir answered for him. “But whether it’s his inexperience or otherwise, you were still the first to use it. It is originally your form, just as AncientGarurumon is mine. And by circumstance, I was able to show Azur how to use this body, but it’s a form that was tailor made for me. He’ll never be able to use the abilities of AncientGarurumon to the extent that I have,” Fenrir said, shaking his head in mild disappointment.

“I guess so,” Tiwaz replied, nodding. “I mean, the Ancient forms are ours and ours alone, yeah?” he asked, before nodding to himself once more. “Right.”

Fenrir gave his own nod. “I had to do something to allow Azur to use the ancient power, which was originally mine, at its strongest,” he told him. “That may be vague, but that was my reason for my absence.”

“I see,” Tiwaz replied, giving Fenrir a scrutinizing look. “I don’t understand why you won’t just tell me. You’ve always been like this over petty things.”

Fenrir gave Tiwaz a small smile. “I simply made AncientGarurumon easier for Azur to use,” he replied, and he didn’t volunteer any more information for Tiwaz to use.

The AncientGreymon sighed and shook his head. “Look, Fen, I can’t dna digivolve into Perun alone. I, uh…need…your help,” he told his old partner reluctantly. “I can’t DNA digivolve with Azur. He’s inexperienced with his form, and the trigger for the digivolving is…well, our…” Tiwaz couldn’t help but avert his gaze, his voice lowering into near inaudible levels. “…bond…”

Fenrir was gracious enough to look away as well, closing his eyes. “I’m not going to disappear, Tiwaz. Not yet,” he said.

Tiwaz seemed to turn to him with a stone cold glare. “You can disappear again over my cold, dead body, mutt.”

Fenrir smiled in return, but continued, “However, my first priority is to help Azur. Perun is certainly strong, but Azur is strong as well.”

“Don’t you think you should be training your descendant in your own time? Not when the world is in serious danger?” Tiwaz asked, frowning.

Fenrir stayed quiet for a few moments, debating whether to tell Tiwaz a part of his musings that he knew he wouldn’t like. “I’m…not training him, Tiwaz. He has been doing his own training since the defeat of chaos,” he enlightened the dragon. “And people have always improved the most under the conditions that we have always been under,” he finished, closing his eyes.

Tiwaz grit his teeth. “it’s not the time for him to get stronger so he can feel good about himself,” Tiwaz said heatedly. “Perun is already more powerful than most of the Peacemakers, and we know it works! We carved the Chaos Lord Typhon like a pumpkin, if you’ve forgotten,” he reminded Fenrir, narrowing his eyes.

“And when we aren’t able to call upon Perun? Azur and Tyr will need to handle themselves, and I don’t know how it is with Tyr, but Azur has the potential to equal Perun,” Fenrir replied.

Tiwaz turned to Fenrir, his expression incredulous. “Even if that were true, potential doesn’t kill the enemy! And what makes you think there will be a time when we aren’t able to dna digivolve?”

Fenrir shook his head, wondering how many times Tiwaz’s intelligence will keep disappearing and reappering. “Circumstance, Tiwaz. There will be times when neither Tyr nor Azur will be able to get together during a fight. There’s also a chance that they will be too weak to access the ancient forms,” he explained, causing Tiwaz to grunt in grudging agreement.

“I guess,” Tiwaz muttered. “Just don’t forget what’s actually important,” he then said, increasing the volume of his voice. “This is just me, but I feel like your fixture of training Azur is to compensate for something,” he told Fenrir.

Fenrir stayed still, not acknowledging the insult in his words. “The reasons for my actions are mine and mine alone, Tiwaz. Perhaps I do feel like I need to do this for my descendant, and perhaps I do not.”

Tiwaz grunted and rolled his eyes. Typical Fenrir. “ Right. Fine then,” he said, turning away. “I’m going to let Tyr take control soon. He wants to do some stuff.” He then started to walk away, but he stopped to glance over his shoulder out of the corner of his eye. “…Remember what I said about no disappearing, okay?” he called out.

Fenrir closed his eyes and gave him a nod. “I heard you loud and clear, Tiwaz.”

“…Good,” Tiwaz said, walking away.

And as soon as he was too far for him to hear, Fenrir said to himself, “I’m just sorry that I cannot make that promise to you,” he said.

Last edited:

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Tiwaz walked away from Fenrir and sat down on the other side of the camp, slightly away from everyone. The AncientGreymon plopped himself down beside the rushing stream, staying away from the campfire and eclipsed by the darkness of the forest. The dragon settled in and exhaled a waft of smoke from his nostrils. He looked back at Fenrir, observing the AncientGarurumon with scrupulous blue eyes.

"Why don't you just tell him, Tiwaz?" Tyr asked, watching Fenrir through Tiwaz's eyes. "I've always been taught that it was best to clear the air when there's something wrong."

"Uh huh. Right. That's why you always hide your true feelings from others just so they won't get upset, right, Tyr?" Tiwaz barked. After a few moments of silence, Tiwaz sighed and slitted his eyes. "I... didn't mean to bite your head off there, Tyr," he apologized. "It's just you don't understand how frustrating it is with me and him. I'm always trying to get him to open up about himself so that I can try to help him with his problems, but he insists on shutting himself off and stubbornly trying to deal with it himself. From the day I've met him he's been like that and he'll be like that to the day I die because, I swear, trying to get through to him will be the end of me."

Tyr's being frowned, as he was unable to do so using Tiwaz's body. "But Tiwaz, it's not like you tell him about your problems either. You don't even tell me about them."

Tiwaz sneered at being implied to be a hypocrite on the matter, though the ever-innocent Tyr didn't seem to realize he was suggesting anything like that. "He either wouldn't care or he'd agree with me or say I deserved it," the ancient digimon replied. "If anybody's a hypocrite, it's him. He talks about going through things together, but then he keeps to himself like he's in a self-made prison and ends up disappearing without a trace."

While Tyr didn't know what exactly he meant by all that, he still tried to offer a solution. "Maybe Fenrir thinks the same thing about you.

The dragon shook his head. "That's not it, Tyr," Tiwaz told him. "If I told you, you would understand."

"But you won't tell me," Tyr said, slightly frustrated. "Even though you know about all of my problems. You always help other people with their problems, but you never let anybody help with yours!"

"Don't lecture me, Tyr," Tiwaz growled. "It's not that simple..." The AncientGreymon stood up and spoke quickly. "Right. Anyways. Do you want to go talk with your friends or not?"

"Yes, please," Tyr responded submissively.

"Then let's go," Tiwaz said, allowing himself to dedigivolve into VictoryGreymon so that Tyr could take the reins and walk through the camp.

-

Khep lay on his back with his hands behind his head, staring up at the sky once again. It was just like before he had 'reunited', if one could use such an optimistic word, with Barachiel. He looked up and stared at the TigerVespamon.

He frowned as he looked at them. Why was he hanging near Duo and Lucia? It was then that he noticed a second, more dirt-stained TigerVespamon over near Caradoc. It was then that he realized that the one he wasn't looking at wasn't Barachiel, but another familiar-looking, scarf-wearing insect. A wide grin grew on Kheprius' face.

The GrandisKuwagamon flipped to his feet and strode over to him. "Well, well well!" he announced, putting a hand on Trowa's shoulder and spinning him around with a chuckle. "Look what the Mahiramon dragged in! I knew my brother wasn't that cool," he said, casually thumbing towards the sibling in question.

"How ya been, Trowa? It's been damn boring without you here to blow stuff up. What made you decide t'come back? Or what kept you from doin' so? Did you finally get caught for blowing up the bar or something?" he asked with a grin. "Or did you get yourself a girlfriend?"

"Oh yeah," Khep said, raising a finger. He turned and looked over at Barachiel. "Hey, I forgot to tell you, Terrak! I know how much you like to change names, so from now on I'm going to call you 'Boring Trowa'. While Trowa here is just regular Trowa. Think you can remember that? Great!"

-

Barachiel rolled his eyes in response to his brother's antics and turned towards Caradoc, still a bit bitter from the falling out with his sibling. He sighed and looked at the dark Valkyrimon. "Well, it doesn't look like me or him particularly care about keeping the secret anymore, so if everybody doesn't know that him and I are brothers already then they will soon."

The warrior novice bowed his head slightly as he looked at Caradoc, as if in shame. "I have a confession to make, Caradoc," he explained to him. "I went behind your back and talked to Guinier, asking her to find it in her heart to forgive you. I know it wasn't my place to do so, but... I know how much you care for her."

"However... She hasn't given up on you. And neither have I," he told him softly. "When we became friends, you told me that change doesn't have to be permanent... Right now, I want nothing more than to believe that. I believe there is still hope for you. This deal doesn't have to be the end. Try to have faith when I say that this will not be the end of Caradoc Stern..."

-

Pyra sat with her back to the fire, allowing the flames to sooth her tired wing muscles after the intense and lengthy flight. She watched as Kheprius talked with Trowa. The young dragon tried to place where her feelings were when it came to Kheprius. The trouble was that she wasn't sure. When she first agreed to be his overseer, she had no idea their relationship would take the turns that it did.

She then turned to Fenrir. The Paildramon had no idea where Azur was down there or if he was even alright. Pyra desperately wanted to talk to him about what happened and she wanted to explain herself. She wanted to reassure him, but after seeing how he acted in the short time he was awake, she had no idea how he was or how the time he spent captured affected him. Pyra had no way of knowing if he even wanted anything to do with her.

These two mind-boggling issues combined resulted in a massive headache for her. Pyra frowned and looked over towards Ivy, a team member that she hadn't gotten the chance to talk to too much. Maybe some outside feminine perspective would help her make sense of her confusion.

The Paildramon stood to her feet and walked over to the slightly battle-weary Lilymon X. She greeted her with a small smile. "How are you doing, Ivy?" she asked. "Mind if we talk?" Pyra gestured to a nearby log and sat down on it.

As soon as Ivy sat beside her, she looked over to Gigas. "You're certainly lucky to have found Gigas," she said, grinning. "He's a really sweet digimon. And he's lucky to have found you too."

Pyra's gaze shifted to Ivy. "I hope you don't mind me asking, but... how did you know that he was the right digimon for you? The digimon that you loved, I mean..." she asked, looking at the Lilymon X curiously.

She then looked towards the flickering fire. "Part of the reason that I'm asking is because I'm uncertain about a few things," she explained. "I love Azur and I truly care for him, but I'm really not sure what to make of the things that happened with him recently. And there's some things I've been keeping from him..." Pyra sighed. "On top of that, there's somebody else who, I think, has feelings for me, but I'm not sure how I feel towards him back."

After a glance at Kheprius, she looked at Ivy with a small smile. "I don't suppose you have any advice for me, from one girl to another?"

-

Gunnar leaned back against the firm trunk of a tree, his arms folded and his wings relaxed. Every so often, he would sneak a glare in Samael's direction. He was the only person he could glare at in these frustrating times since Cresil was always hiding in the shadows 'like a rat', Gunnar thought, and the ShineGreymon wasn't sure how to feel about Sha, who was a biological conflux of species and was decidedly undemon-like.

The light dragon looked around at the other Peacemakers. He blinked upon noticing that he wasn't the only digimon around glaring at somebody. Hira was shooting daggers at Kole once again. Gunnar couldn't help but grin at this.

Unable to help himself, he walked over to the large winged feline digimon and placed a hand confidently on his back. "Hira! Pal! You're a real bag of cats right now. You have to loosen up!" he said, grinning and running his hand along the digimon's fur, once again proving that Gunnar has trouble when it comes to personal space.

The ShineGreymon looked at the target of Hira's heated leer and promptly grinned. "Word of advice: Tia'll never know that you like her if you just stare at her all day, you know. You have to go and talk to her. The more time you spend pouting and pussyfooting, the more time she's with Kole or Scar or me," Gunnar explained.

"It may not be subtle for me, but I don't think she's picking up on it. Girls don't dig socially awkward guys. And, let's face it, Tia's the cat's meow," the ShineGreymon continued, grinning widely. "The cat's pyjamas, even!"

"Take Tyr for example," Gunnar explained, gesturing to the VictoryGreymon who was walking over to Aeria. "He's going to go over to Aeria and... What the hell is he doing with Aeria?!"

The ShineGreymon's grin had disappeared upon seeing the two embrace.

-

Tyr walked towards Aeria with nervousness in his stride.

"You have a crush on her, don't you, Tyr?" Tiwaz asked. "You and Gunnar?"

"I, umm... I dunno," he mumbled in embarassment. "This isn't what this is about. I just have some things I want to ask her about."

"That doesn't mean it can't lead to more," the dragon explained as Tyr approached the shy WarGreymon who stood several feet away from the fire, a behind everybody else by a little bit.

Tyr quickly walked up to her, nervously rubbing the nape of his neck and donning an uncomfortable smile. "H-hey, Aeria..." he greeted, waving slightly.

Aeria jumped in surprise at Tyr's abrupt introduction, looking at him with a wide-eyed gaze. Tyr responded with a surprised jump of his own. "S-Sorry! Didn't mean to sneak up on you like that!" he apologized.

The WarGreymon ducked her blushing head and rubbed her arms, though managing to look at him. "N-no, it's...I'm...I-I should have paid m-more attention..." she responded meekly.

Tyr relaxed slightly. "Umm... I've been meaning to talk to you ever since that battle where Sir Percival... died..." He grimaced slightly but blinked it back and focused on Aeria. "Mind if I ask you some things about it?"

Aeria bit her lip and looked slightly uncomfortable though finally nodded after awhile.

"You... were really different when you were a BlackWarGreymon..." Tyr said, offering her a small smile. "I barely recognized you. It was...! D-don't get me wrong! I love the way you are now! It's just that you were so different when you changed forms and I was just wondering, well, umm... why?"

Aeria's mouth opened as soon as Tyr mentioned the word 'BlackWarGreymon'. "W-w-what...?" she stammered.

Tyr blinked in confusion. "The BlackWarGreymon during the battle... That was you, wasn't it? I don't think it was Vritra and it was definately a girl...! N-not that I was looking or anything! I was just... I thought it was you since you weren't anywhere else at the time..."

The VictoryGreymon frowned as the girl became increasingly panicked. "N-no...no, no, no..." she muttered, putting a hand on her mouth.

Tyr blinked in worry and took a step closer. "Ae-Aeria? Are you okay? Did I say something wrong?" he asked, putting a hand on her shoulder.

The trembling Aeria didn't notice Tyr's movement. "It...it came out...it came out and I..." she gasped, starting to hyperventilate.

The dragonman's eyes widened and he looked around frantically, unsure what to do. "It's- It's okay, Aeria! Everything's okay, I think!" he stammered. "What do I do, Tiwaz?!"

"I don't know! Hug her!?" he responded, dumbfounded by the situation.

Acting on pure impulse, Tyr moved close and pulled Aeria into a warm hug. "J-just calm down. I'm sorry!" he said with worry. It was at this moment that Gunnar chose to look over.

Aeria stiffened up, surprised by Tyr's action. The VictoryGreymon remained still though, rubbing her back soothingly. "I didn't mean to worry you. I'm just a bit... confused about all this," he explained.

"I-I'm...sorry..." she replied, biting her lip and closing her eyes, though slowly pushing away from Tyr. "Th...thank you..." she said, looking down. "I needed that..."

Tyr blushed and released her to rub the nape of his neck. "Anytime, Aeria... Umm... So are you okay?"

"I'm...okay now." She looked away and rubbed her arm, looking worried. "I...I need to..." Aeria turned to look into Tyr's eyes. "When it...I mean, I went to you that time...what did I do?"

Tyr raised an eyebrow. "You didn't act like yourself, at all... You lifted me up by the horn and started scolding me for talking about being able to protect some girl but letting her faint in battle. You said I promised her that I'd protect her after everything she's been through. Then you swore at me, mispronounced my name as 'Roman' and said 'maybe I'll finish you off like I promised I would'... It was a little scary..." he explained.

Aeria froze up upon hearing Roman's name, blinking and subconsciously tearing up.

"...Aeria?" he asked, looking at her with worry.

"I'm...but that means..." she whimpered as a tear ran down her cheek.

Tyr tensed up and his eyes widened. The VictoryGreymon raised his hands reassuringly. "No! It's okay, really! It's a common mistake! I get called Roman all the time! You don't have to worry yourself!" he insisted, grinning sheepishly as he tried to reassure her.

Aeria blinked in confusion until she realized her face is wet and subsequently rose her hands to rub her eyes. "N-no...it's...it's not your fault..."

"But why are you crying?" he asked, tilting his head.

She bit her lower lip. "R-roman... Roman is..." Aeria winced and shook her head. "...w-was someone very close to me..." She looked down with sadness.

Tyr grimaced as he understood what she meant. "I... understand. I'm sorry, Aeria..." He put a hand on her shoulder to comfort her. "I know what it's like to lose somebody you care about. My heroes, the Royal Knights... one of close friends... my dad..." As he thought about it, his face grew progressively sadder, but he tried to smile for her. "But... don't worry about me. I'll be okay. I just don't want you to be sad..."

Aeria turned to him and nodded slightly, putting a hand over his... and slipping it off. "I'm sorry too..." The WarGreymon closer her eyes. "A-and...thank you." She reopened them and glanced away.

"I...think I need to think right now..." She bit her lip and glanced at him. "But...I'm sorry if I, um, caused you any trouble..."

"Umm... okay!" he said with a smile. "You didn't cause any trouble. I'm here, if you ever want to, umm, talk again, okay?"

Aeria nodded and offered him a slight, appreciative smile. "Th...thank you...Tyr..." She then turned to walk away with a thoughtful expression on her face.

Tyr exhaled and turned around to see Gunnar leering at him from afar. He smiled and waved.

"Well... that could have gone worse, I guess..." Tiwaz murmured.

Last edited:

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
Barachiel rolled his eyes in response to his brother's antics and turned towards Caradoc, still a bit bitter from the falling out with his sibling. He sighed and looked at the dark Valkyrimon. "Well, it doesn't look like me or him particularly care about keeping the secret anymore, so if everybody doesn't know that him and I are brothers already then they will soon."

The warrior novice bowed his head slightly as he looked at Caradoc, as if in shame. "I have a confession to make, Caradoc," he explained to him. "I went behind your back and talked to Guinier, asking her to find it in her heart to forgive you. I know it wasn't my place to do so, but... I know how much you care for her."

"However... She hasn't given up on you. And neither have I," he told him softly. "When we became friends, you told me that change doesn't have to be permanent... Right now, I want nothing more than to believe that. I believe there is still hope for you. This deal doesn't have to be the end. Try to have faith when I say that this will not be the end of Caradoc Stern..."

"Even if we win... I lose," Caradoc reflected in a melancholy tone. "I don't want to risk Guinier for myself, Barachiel, that's the same attitude that got me into this situation." He considered. "I don't mind that you asked her... I think I knew that she still wants to believe in me." He paused, a brief, sad silence. "I'll keep her safe. That's all I want now. If I die by a sword, or an arrow, or if I let this deal run its course, I'll keep her safe. Either way, my soul is damned. That was my choice."

"Is this deal the end? No," he mused. "I'm still here... I'll still fight. But now..." he sounded melancholy again, "I pity them, you know. All those who made deals with Mephistopheles... Balthory... Hecatondies. Some of them did it for noble reasons, and he betrayed them. Especially Balthory..." He remembered her words, how he had condemned her. "I was wrong to denounce what she did. People aren't evil, or wrong, just for choosing a deal with a demon... I know that now. I wish I'd realized back then..."

He looked at his friend. "I have faith, Barachiel. I have faith that in the end, I can do what's right. That's what I believe now..."

-

Bedivere frowned, he had let their victory get to him. He had forgotten, they were still behind, even with this battle won, a seal had still broken and Mephistopheles was still out there. This war was far from done.

He turned from Tiwaz, glancing across the returned Peacemakers until his eyes fell upon the one he was looking for. He glared at the dark-clad Valkyrimon, who gazed back.

"Yes?" Caradoc challenged, knowing full well that Bedivere was about to attack him, blame him. He had led the others astray, the Slayerdramon would claim. He had cost them the numbers they needed to press the victory of a battle to the victory of the entire war with Mephistopheles. And the shamed noble didn't care.

"We could have ended this," Bedivere said, his words cutting the air. "If these fools hadn't all gone looking for you," he gestured widely across those who had followed Tiwaz in search of the four, "we might have finished this right here."

"And who exiled us?" Caradoc retorted, shooting a look at Michael. "Don't complain, Bedivere! The four of us didn't leave by choice!"

"The first time, you did!" Bedivere shot back. "And that was the reason we forbade you from interfering! You're too chaotic, Caradoc!"

"Says the man who wielded the blade of Chaos incarnate!"

"Says the man who left a city open to attack in a senseless search for a probably-dead captive!" Bedivere roared. "And did you find Hadrael? Did you?!"

"Yes," Caradoc muttered.

"And where is he now, then?" the Slayerdramon questioned, voice filled with malice.

"Dead." He glared angrily back at his opponent, self-loathing and anger and hate seething in the pit of his stomach, he didn't need this, didn't want these accusations hurled at him, not now. "He was alive when we found him. Dracula disembowled him to break a seal."

"May his soul rest in peace," Bedivere murmured, glancing at Barachiel. "I am sorry, then, Barachiel." His gaze returned to Caradoc and became inflamed with anger again. "The fact remains, Caradoc, once again you cost us a decisive blow. Because you led the others astray, we didn't have the numbers to stop Mephistopheles once and for all! Are you determined to undermine our efforts?!"

"No!" Caradoc howled. "I want this done, Bedivere. I want that demon dead. You don't know what I've done!" The words were fiery with anger and bitterness. "You don't know what I've sacrificed!"

Guinier looked sadly at him. "Caradoc..." The raw pain in his expression was clear to see now, brought to the surface by Bedivere's angry words.

"What have you done? What have you sacrificed? What have you lost that you can possibly consider equal to the fact that twice now you've cost us an end to this?!" Bedivere countered. "Well, what, Caradoc Cowardsson?" Caradoc flinched as though a physical blow had landed. The old name, of course.

He glared at Bedivere. "What have I sacrificed? To help my friend, to find Hadrael, Bedivere... I sacrificed my soul. I made a deal."

A silence fell, cold and unnatural. Bedivere was aghast, and Vritra, who had previously just looked on with scorn, genuinely bore a look of absolute surprise. She gazed at Caradoc, seemingly amazed. Everyone seemed stunned by the declaration, it were as though the opposite to the first Vritra had decided to appear, all frozen rather than boiled by absolute heat.

"You did what?" Bedivere said, completely taken aback. He had little response to that.

"I made a deal with a demon to find Hadrael," Caradoc repeated, pain now quite plain in his tone. "In exchange for that, they will have my soul in one year." He spelled out the terms with a look at Guinier, a sorrowful, apologetic look, she knew this already, but he could never apologize enough, feel sorry enough...

A fist hammered his face, coming from nowhere. Caradoc was knocked sprawling as Bedivere moved, face distorted with a burning rage. Fire howled from the Slayerdramon's hands and clutched the Valkyrimon, piledriving him to the earth.

"How dare you!" the Lord of the Empty Seat proclaimed in a voice full of utter anger and condemnation. "How dare you! Digitalize of Soul!" Emerald swept from his hand and struck Caradoc as he stood, laying him flat. The Valkyrimon spat blood from his mouth as he tried to stand again. Another flurry of emerald force struck home, hurling him several feet to crash onto his back.

"No!" Guinier cried, forcing herself to move from where she stood paralyzed with shock. The UlforceVeedramon stood between her brother and Caradoc in a flash of azure, shielding the fallen one with her form. "Stop, Bedivere!"

"Stand aside!" He roughly shoved his sister out of the way, ablaze with anger that Caradoc could stoop to such a level for such selfish reasons and betray Guinier...

"Digitalize of Soul!" Caradoc could have evaded, having already stood. He just let the attack strike home, hammering him down again like a bowling pin hit head-on by the ball. He crashed down, spitting out another mouthful of blood.

Bedivere drew back his hand as emerald shone again, preparing to loose another attack...

"Enough!" Two voices sounded as one, and they spoke in unison again to declare attacks.

"Burning the Dragon!" "Wildfire Tsunami!" A spectral leyline of flame etched across the ground and tore it up, forging a barrier of earth between the raging dragon and the pitiful warrior, then flames swept across, forming a second barricade. Vritra and Bedrawd acted in unison, seperating the two.

"Enough, Bedivere," Bedrawd snarled, voice dangerously low. "Enough."

"No," Bedivere snapped. "Not when he's done this. Not when he has betrayed everything. Not when..."

"Shut up," Vritra said bluntly. "You think he isn't suffering enough without you trying to punch holes through him?" She looked at Caradoc, who was still laid flat from where the last attack had struck, Guinier knelt beside him, and then she glared back at Bedivere. "Beating him to pulp may make you feel good, but it won't solve anything and he can make himself useful by helping us win this from now on."

"He made a deal, Vritra!" Bedivere cried. "Haven't we seen what Mephistopheles does? He uses deals! He twists those who make contracts with him until they fulfill his aims!"

"I never... made a deal... with him," Caradoc retorted, weakly standing. "It was another demon."

Bedivere paused. "You're a fool."

"I know."

"How do you expect anything after this? How do you expect to just go back after we end this, you fool?" the Lord of the Empty Seat spoke. "Do you think you can just saunter back home...?"

"No," Caradoc murmured. "Don't you think I know that, Bedivere?" He paused for a moment, and as he did the barriers faded, Vritra's flames going out, Bedrawd's earthen barricade lowering back into the ground. The two still stood on hand, ready to intervene. "I don't know what I'll do once we end this... until then, all I can do is try and make a difference. That's how I'll live."

The Slayerdramon turned away. "Do your best." He stalked away, presumably to sit down and rest.

"You are an idiot, you know that?" Vritra commented to Caradoc. "An idiot hero... that's the sort of person who'd put someone they barely knew above their own life." It was hard to tell if she was complimenting or insulting him. "I have other business to deal with... so," she glanced down at the battered Valkyrimon, "try not to kill yourself while I'm gone." She strode away, picking out a fiery form close by.

Bedrawd looked on at Caradoc and Guinier sorrowfully. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..." He didn't know what else to do, how else to react. Caradoc seemed beyond any sort of salvation, damned by his refusal to take the one chance at saving himself. There was no other way out, not that he knew of...

-

The fiery form of the sun god was majestic and imposing, the figure of a true king of heroes. The flames danced around the Apollomon's body, testament to his might, the power of a sun. He was Svarog, he was Gilgamesh. Son of Praamzius, grandson of Rod.

Vritra approached him, each footfall searing itself onto the grass. "Svarog Gilgamesh," she said, greeting him in a somewhat curt manner. She still hadn't forgotten how effortlessly War had crushed her before. A glance at the white-armored dragon-man that was Thor Odinson yielded a flicker of memory, Conquest and his boast, his triumph.

She focused back on the solar deity. "Those Horsemen, War and Conquest... they crushed me." The words brought back the shameful memories of her defeats at their hands. "I need to awaken my divine spark, to become a true god. Could you teach me?"

Kamotz

God of Monsters
"You gutless coward," Samael snarled, turning all three burning-wrathful eyes to Caradoc. "You worthless, spineless, toothless, brainless, sackless, pile of **** not fit for even the Apemon to throw at each other." He swung around, driving his foot into the side of Caradoc's head and knocking him to the ground. He grabbed Caradoc's face and hauled the shamed warrior to his feet.

"Do you know what you had?" Samael raged. "You had a mother****ing, goddamn living soul. But because you have **** for brains you went and threw it all away; took a steaming dump all over it! What I wouldn't give to have had that chance!" He backhanded Caradoc and spit at the downed warrior. "But you know what really p*sses me off? That you're just gonna lay there and accept it!" He booted the Valkyrimon in the chest.

"Play the martyr, the fallen hero everyone will remember with sad eyes and shake their heads; knowing you went down with your head held high and stoic as some hellhound ripped out your guts and you **** yourself from the sheer overwhelming agony of your soul being ripped out of your still-living body. But none of that ****in' matters," Samael spat angrily. "And it's not gonna do you any good when some big boss demon has you bent over the coals telling you to squeal like a piggy."

"And that'll be just the beginning of what they've got in store for ya. And then later, maybe after a few decades or centuries, when you're so sick and twisted from it all, they send you back, lookin' somethin' like this." He pointed to himself. "And because you're a monster now, a twisted version of you, you're obsessed with everything you once had. So you find all those closest to you. It doesn't matter whether they're dead, you're so screwed up you can't tell them from their descendants and you torture them like you were tortured. And it's a cycle that goes on and on.

"See? You sack of crap?" Samael hissed. "No matter what you do now, Guinier and all her kids and their kids and Bedi-o's kids and Barry's kids are all gonna feel your claws and your teeth and your anger."

Samael then snatched Caradoc by his face and drove him into the ground. "But you have a way out!" he roared. "All you have to do is grow a goddamn pair and KILL THE B*TCH! But if you're that much of a gutless sack of crap, then how about you lick my boots clean and fetch me somethin' to drink. Little b*tch."

===

"So you wish to be a god then?" Svarog mused as the rest of the women stepped away upon Vritra's arrival. "To wield limitless power, limitless life, limitless youth; and accept limitless responsibility? Is this what you wish?"

Svarog turned to the demi-Goddess. "I know you Vritra Ahi, and I knew your former self when I very very young, and I have no desire to see that beast reborn into this world through you; there are far too many evils in this world as it is." He looked deep into her eyes as his glowed like the sun. As War he had ripped into her being and taken knowledge of everything she was. As Svarog he still had bits and pieces of it; enough to know her.

"So I must ask then; what is Vritra? What are you? Who are you?"

Hotshot

Ivy sat near the fire, her eyes gazing into the orange flow of the flames, her skin, scarred and horribly bruised, stinging from the warmth. But it felt good. The fire brought comfort; comfort she hadn't had since she came on this venture.

The Lilymon X breathed a heavy sigh. Even now, she still didn't regret leaving her home. She had wanted to be with Gigas, to help him any way she could, to follow him to the ends of the Digital World and beyond. She still wanted that. Ivy glanced over her shoulder at the HerculesKabuterimon, who was busy talking with Nocchi and Sha.

The Paildramon stood to her feet and walked over to the slightly battle-weary Lilymon X. She greeted her with a small smile. "How are you doing, Ivy?" she asked. "Mind if we talk?" Pyra gestured to a nearby log and sat down on it.

Ivy rose quickly to her feet, masking her weary face with a smile. "I am well, Miss Pyra. Thank you for asking. And yes, of course we may talk. I would be delighted!"

She sat gracefully beside the Paildramon, hands folded in her lap, eyes fixed upon Pyra.

As soon as Ivy sat beside her, she looked over to Gigas. "You're certainly lucky to have found Gigas," she said, grinning. "He's a really sweet digimon. And he's lucky to have found you too."

Ivy blushed. "Why thank you... I know for a fact that I am the luckiest girl in the Digital World." She sighed, her eyes once more on her beloved HerculesKabuterimon, who was busy roaring with laughter - at some comment Sha had made about Nocchi's height, no doubt.

Pyra's gaze shifted to Ivy. "I hope you don't mind me asking, but... how did you know that he was the right digimon for you? The digimon that you loved, I mean..." she asked, looking at the Lilymon X curiously.

Ivy was slightly taken aback. She'd never really thought about it before...she had just known. But before she could formulate any sort of response, Pyra continued:

"Part of the reason that I'm asking is because I'm uncertain about a few things," she explained. "I love Azur and I truly care for him, but I'm really not sure what to make of the things that happened with him recently. And there's some things I've been keeping from him..." Pyra sighed. "On top of that, there's somebody else who, I think, has feelings for me, but I'm not sure how I feel towards him back."

After a glance at Kheprius, she looked at Ivy with a small smile. "I don't suppose you have any advice for me, from one girl to another?"

The Lilymon X took a deep breath, and looked up at the sky. She thought about it a few moments, then looked back to Pyra again. "Well," she began, drawing out the single-syllable word, as if unsure of where to begin, "the first time I met Gigas... I was caring for Nocchi in the hospital. He was my patient, and not a very patient one." She giggled softly, recalling the incident. "But Nocchi had a friend, a best friend, who stayed up all night outside of our makeshift hospital tent, waiting for him to get better."

Ivy sighed. "Gigas truly cared for Nocchi. He saw him as his brother. He cared for him unconditionally. It didn't matter if Nocchi called him names... Gigas would always be there for him." She blinked away tears as her emotions sprung up. "That's what struck me most about him. He cared for the people close to him. I'd never met anyone more loving than Gigas."

Gazing up at Pyra, Ivy smiled. "But that's not where it ends. The most important thing about love, Pyra, is that true love is a choice. Not a fairy tale ending. The emotions that you and I feel, they aren't what complete love. They're what start it. It's up to us to choose to love unconditionally. And to do that, we have to look past the outward appearances of those we love. We have to see them for who they really are. We have to know their hearts."

She fluttered to her feet and gently kissed Pyra on the top of her head. "And when you know his heart, you'll know whether he's right or not."

With that, Ivy walked towards Gigas, Nocchi, and Sha.

==========

Meanwhile, the aforementioned trio was watching as nearly everyone else hurled insults (and fists) at Caradoc for making a deal with a demon. When Samael's turn came, and the Beelzemon began beating him to a pulp and throwing profanities left and right, Nocchi, eyes fixed on Samael and Caradoc, said, "Gig. Sha."

"Got it," the two Digimon chimed in unison. Gigas, with two huge steps, got behind Samael, wrapped his claws around his neck and shoulders, and lifted him ten feet off the ground. Sha helped Caradoc to his feet, with the Valkyrimon's arm draping his shoulder.

Nocchi stepped between the feuding parties and glanced up at a struggling Samael, then fixed his steely gaze on the others. "I don't know if you guys realize this or not, but this bozo--" He pointed his thumb over his shoulder at Caradoc. "--isn't the problem. Sure, he made a deal with a demon. Who cares?! It's his problem. Let the kid fight his own battles. Right now, we've got a much bigger battle to worry about. Mepedophile or whatever-his-name-is just got his butt whooped, and now he's madder 'n ever."

The Puppetmon paused for dramatic effect. "Are we really going to waste what precious time we have kicking this pansy around--" He thumbed at Caradoc again. "--when we could be doing something - anything - beneficial? Beating the bloody stew outta Caradoc won't do any of us any good, morons! Now unclench yer fists, quit grittin' yer teeth, an' put yer thinkin' caps on!"

Nocchi threw his arms up in frustration. "Yggdrasil, people! It's not that hard!"

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
"Who is Vritra?" she echoed. "What is Vritra?" The BurningGreymon considered, looking into herself, at the divine spark which shone and writhed at the core of her spirit. She gazed into the void of flame, heat, drought and divinity, and the void stared back with memories of that terrible dragon, of the heat purging its way across the planet and the water being burnt away by the drought.

She looked away from the spark. "I am heat. I am flame. I am the drought, and the bringer of the desert. I am the fire that burns life from the earth and leaves nothing but ash and death." She paused, and then continued. "But I choose otherwise. I am the fire that burns away the evil. I am the bringer of the desert to the demons and the black-hearted. I am the burning one who will do what must be done to stop the victory of evil and the coming of the end."

She gazed into Svarog's eyes, her eye filled with fire and passion and fury. "I will not be the second coming of that past. I choose to make atonement for that form. I choose to burn away the sins of the past in the pyres of those who threaten this world, starting with Mephistopheles and his ilk." She clenched her fists, embers dancing in her irises and about her hands. "That is who I am. That is Vritra Ahi."

-

Caradoc stared into Samael's eyes with a terrible pain as the demon struck him over and over. Again, Caradoc did nothing. Again, he just took each blow over and over, letting them hit. He let the pain sear through him, more reminders of his stupidity, his sin, his punishment.

"You don't understand," he whispered even as Gigas and Sha moved, wrenching the two apart. "You don't understand, Samael." He spoke the words and they were like diluted poison, innocent-seeming yet bitter.

Nocchi stepped between the feuding parties and glanced up at a struggling Samael, then fixed his steely gaze on the others. "I don't know if you guys realize this or not, but this bozo--" He pointed his thumb over his shoulder at Caradoc. "--isn't the problem. Sure, he made a deal with a demon. Who cares?! It's his problem. Let the kid fight his own battles. Right now, we've got a much bigger battle to worry about. Mepedophile or whatever-his-name-is just got his butt whooped, and now he's madder 'n ever."

The Puppetmon paused for dramatic effect. "Are we really going to waste what precious time we have kicking this pansy around--" He thumbed at Caradoc again. "--when we could be doing something - anything - beneficial? Beating the bloody stew outta Caradoc won't do any of us any good, morons! Now unclench yer fists, quit grittin' yer teeth, an' put yer thinkin' caps on!"

Nocchi threw his arms up in frustration. "Yggdrasil, people! It's not that hard!"

"The Puppetmon is right," Bedrawd said, stepping forwards. "Attacking each other won't do any good, it only serves to cause mistrust and waste precious time. From what has been said, Mephistopheles has been dealt a major blow by the prevention of summoning Milleniummon, and Thor and Svarog's return to our side. We should figure out how we can press our momentary advantage and capitalize, before our enemy regains the initiative."

Caradoc shrugged over Sha's help, though his whole body ached from pain and fatigue, he wished to stand alone. He gazed at Samael, who was still restrained by Gigas. "You don't understand," he repeated. "I can't let my mistake harm anyone else. But from what you say..."

"And because you're a monster now, a twisted version of you, you're obsessed with everything you once had. So you find all those closest to you. It doesn't matter whether they're dead, you're so screwed up you can't tell them from their descendants and you torture them like you were tortured. And it's a cycle that goes on and on.

"See? You sack of crap?" Samael hissed. "No matter what you do now, Guinier and all her kids and their kids and Bedi-o's kids and Barry's kids are all gonna feel your claws and your teeth and your anger."

"I'm damned either way," he murmured. "Either way... they suffer..." He bowed his head. "You see, Samael... the demon I made the deal with made a threat. If I attempt to turn back on our deal, then my soul isn't the only thing she'll take." He glanced at the UlforceVeedramon with shame in his eyes. "If I attempt to betray that deal, then Guinier's soul, and the souls of any children I might have with her... are also forfeit." He paused for a long while, staring at the ground, full of regret.

"So you see?" he looked up at Samael. "Either way, I'm damned to hurt those I care most about. If I attempt to kill the demon and fail, then Guinier will suffer for what I've done. If I allow the deal to run its course, then decades, or centuries down the line, the descendants of my loved ones will suffer my wrath... which path do I choose? What road is the right one?" His voice took on a soft tone of utter despair. "What do I do? I don't know how to fight a demon. I don't know their weaknesses, or the advantages I may have. And even if I were to learn, with all of one year to do so... I still have no absolute chance of victory."

Guinier stared at him. She didn't know which of his two options was more damning, risking the one he loved most for a chance at salvation, or doing nothing and returning twisted and corrupted, filled with hate which the descendants of his friends... her children and grandchildren, and beyond, would suffer for. What could she say? Could she say anything to help him?

-

"Bedivere."

The Slayerdramon glanced at his father, knowing what was coming, the lecture, the damning words.

"Yes, father?" he asked darkly.

"I'm not here to lecture you," the Dorbickmon said. "If I were to reprimand you for attacking Caradoc, I would be being hypocritical. I did the same. But I just want you to know that despite his mistakes... despite his father's shadow and sin hanging over him... Caradoc is a good man at heart."

"Can I believe that?" Bedivere snapped, glaring at the crimson knight. "After all he's done, father! After all he's cost us! If he hadn't led half of the Peacemakers astray, we might have ended this a few hours ago! And now you expect me to forgive him, to lament his own stupidity, just because he regrets making a deal with a demon? No. I refuse."

"Bedivere..."

"He's as much of a coward as his father, hiding his own guilt behind his own views of 'righteousness' and 'heroism'!" Bedivere snarled. "You think I should allow him to continue preaching his beliefs? To let him keep dragging us down like a weight with every step?" He shook his head. "I have seen Mephistopheles turn allies into enemies with words because of these deals, father! King Hecatondies! Sir Constantine! Sir Pelleas! All turned into puppets with mere words!" Bedrawd took a step back at the mention of the knights, shocked.

"I can't believe Caradoc is a good man when he has broken my sister's heart,"

"Enough!" Bedrawd roared. "Enough!" He turned away. "I see you're set on your beliefs. So be it, son. I choose to believe that Caradoc will make the right choice." With that, he walked away...

"Yggdrasil, people! It's not that hard!"

Scar appeared behind Nocchi and put his hands on each of the shorter Digimon’s shoulders. “Act’chully, my woody friend, right now, it might be,” he said, pointing to the fuming Digimon, which seemed to quite a larger number than usual.

“See? Those guys are just waaaaay too angry to think properly, and if they can, I’m willin’ to bet they’re only thinkin’ ‘bout how everyone else is messing up. I mean, that’s what it usually comes down to in an angry person’s mind, right?” he started, scratching the top of his head.

“’sides, I think everyone’s been through way too much right. Angel-father person died, Zurrie coming back to us all weird, finding out that a guy sold his soul, the coming back of the good guy gods, all that hubbub,” he said stepping backwards with a small, carefree smile.

"The Puppetmon is right," Bedrawd said, stepping forwards. "Attacking each other won't do any good, it only serves to cause mistrust and waste precious time. From what has been said, Mephistopheles has been dealt a major blow by the prevention of summoning Milleniummon, and Thor and Svarog's return to our side. We should figure out how we can press our momentary advantage and capitalize, before our enemy regains the initiative."

Scharlach blinked and then let out a breath. “Hooboy. I know y’all keep on sayin’ that we’re wastin’ time just sittin’ here and whatever, but seriously, what good is rushin’ from place to place and tryin’ to think of something to do if everyone’s drop dead exhausted?”

“Like ya said, the goat guy’s looks like he’s gonna wipe us all out the second he gets a chance, which I think is going to be pretty fast the way everyone is right now,” the ShadowWereGarurumon observed, taking a quick glance at everyone that was nearby.

He put his palms. “Also, if my butt’s gonna get kicked, I don’t want it to be cuz I was too tired to do otherwise. So how about we all just cool down, rest for a bit, and maybe get something in our stomachs?” he suggested, rubbing his hands against each other.

“I’m sure I can find something good ‘round here,” he said, before stopping for a bit, staring at Nocchi. “…hey, what do wood people like you eat? Do you do that photosinging thing that plants do?” he asked, rubbing the back of his neck. “Hmm…does that mean you have to sing for that too?” he added, wondering how the Puppetmon’s voice would sound like when he would sing.

He did his best not to glance over at Fenrir, knowing that his cheery façade would falter if he did.

-------------------------------------------------------

"So you see?" he looked up at Samael. "Either way, I'm damned to hurt those I care most about. If I attempt to kill the demon and fail, then Guinier will suffer for what I've done. If I allow the deal to run its course, then decades, or centuries down the line, the descendants of my loved ones will suffer my wrath... which path do I choose? What road is the right one?" His voice took on a soft tone of utter despair. "What do I do? I don't know how to fight a demon. I don't know their weaknesses, or the advantages I may have. And even if I were to learn, with all of one year to do so... I still have no absolute chance of victory."

A voice behind Caradoc suddenly laughed. Cresil, with an entertained expression on his face, couldn’t help clap his hands in applause. He approached the Valkyrimon with his elegant and graceful stride, not stopping until he just a foot behind him.

“If this demon of yours is listening, then I must applaud her,” he then said, looking around. “While demons like me enjoy being entertained by people who struggle to find a way out of their deals, watching someone break down in defeat is just as amusing, if not more,” he informed him, looking down at the broken down Peacemaker.

“Another thing we demons like is loopholes, and sometimes we are tempted to include one in our deals unbeknownst our…clients, so to speak. However, these loopholes either tend to be hard to find…or hard to do. And it’s not always to say that they’re beneficial to the client.”

Cresil turned away, heading towards a nearby shadow. “I’ll tell you this. The condition was for you to kill her. That would also apply to those that would do it at your behest or sake then, no? Because you would indirectly cause the attempt. Which means if your TigerVespamon attempted to kill her for you, well…you can finish that on your own, no?” he said with a carefree shrug. And then he stopped.
It would be void, then, were someone else to do it for reasons his or her own, correct? Like to save the complete happiness of a family?” he asked, glancing at Guinier.

“What say you, milady?” he then asked, turning to her. “If you killed this demon for your own happiness, it would be less for him and more for you, correct? How about you find and kill this demon yourself? Demons will always appear before their clientele in due time, and because you seem to spend a lot of time beside this Valkyrimon, you would no doubt meet her.”

“Do you want to save his soul?”

-------------------------------------------------------

Amidst all the fighting, Fenrir simply stared and watched. He really shouldn’t be one to try and stop any of them from fighting and arguing, considering how much ire and hostility he and Tiwaz shared during their many years together as the Great Ten along with the other so-dubbed Ancients. And to think this was all the workings of a single demon. He mildly wondered how things would have progressed were it not the Peacemakers but he and his own past allies in this situation.

The AncientGarurumon grunted. He and Tiwaz would have probably killed each other by that time. Neither of them were used to holding back their blows when they were angry.

Fenrir closed his eyes, trying to search for Azur’s presence once more. Instead, he found silence. That didn’t bode well. At all. As he opened his eyes, he heard someone else’s determined voice, and he looked over to Vritra and Svarog. It was surprisingly easy to overhear the BurningGreymon’s words.

She looked away from the spark. "I am heat. I am flame. I am the drought, and the bringer of the desert. I am the fire that burns life from the earth and leaves nothing but ash and death." She paused, and then continued. "But I choose otherwise. I am the fire that burns away the evil. I am the bringer of the desert to the demons and the black-hearted. I am the burning one who will do what must be done to stop the victory of evil and the coming of the end."

She gazed into Svarog's eyes, her eye filled with fire and passion and fury. "I will not be the second coming of that past. I choose to make atonement for that form. I choose to burn away the sins of the past in the pyres of those who threaten this world, starting with Mephistopheles and his ilk." She clenched her fists, embers dancing in her irises and about her hands. "That is who I am. That is Vritra Ahi."

Fenrir couldn’t help but roll his eyes. Perhaps it was his own upbringing and experiences, but he wondered why most that were called gods always took it to such great pride. He could admit that, while some gods took it to grounds that would make them incredibly hard to get along with, not all of them brought it to a form of intolerably arrogance. Or maybe they just took it as a fact that, because they control powerful forces that no one else can, they’re simply just that much stronger.

…But he could never understand the way those such as Vritra and Svarog spoke of themselves. Fenrir himself was a god of light, that of the moon and stars to be specific, but did that mean he was moon and starlight? That he was that which shone down and chased away the darkness of the night? He didn’t think so. It seemed too much like they distancing themselves far too much from humans and mortals simply because of their strength.

Yes, they, the gods, were strong. Incredibly strong. “But…being a god…does not mean one does not make mistakes,” he muttered to himself as he tuned out their conversation. “It just means that we do make them…the consequences are much more severe.”

The AncientGarurumon looked at his hands. When he was young, his hands could summon concentrated light rays that could cut through hard rock and create flashes of bright light that could blind those that were too ignorant and went too close. If he had excelled more in it, he would have been able to call down comets of light from the sky…but he had forsaken the powers of light a long time ago. He had devoted himself to the way of the sword because he didn’t want to rely on such abilities.

He shook his head from his thoughts. Those thoughts were supposed to have been cast away in the past; it would do him no good to dwell on them. He had other, more pressing problems to deal with.

“Like Azur,” he muttered to himself.

What…about me…?

Fenrir halted in shock. ‘A-Azur! You’re awake!’ the ancient of light thought, closing his eyes.

I…I’m not…sure,’ Azur’s voice spoke in his head. ‘I…feel like…like I’ve been dream- !

The sudden silence in his head suddenly caused Fenrir to get nervous. ‘Azur!

F-Fenrir…I…I wasn’t dreaming…was I…?

The AncientGarurumon grimaced. He didn’t what to tell his descendant. How could he? It would be difficult to tell anyone that he or she had been in the clutches of sadistic demons for a day that seemed to last for weeks. That was still one puzzle Fenrir had not solved.

Azur…how do I even begin with how sorry I am?’ the ancient thought, bowing his head in shame. ‘You have to understand that what you experiences was an illusion.

Silence.

Fenrir frowned. ‘Listen to me, Azur. All of the words you’ve heard, all of those accusations, they were all fake!

More silence. Fenrir began to panic. This was not going well.

Please, Azur…everyone’s waiting for you to come back…Shoon…Scharlach…Pyra…

And suddenly, a whisper in his mind. ‘…Pyra…

Fenrir sighed in relief. ‘Yes, Azur. Pyra. Now will you please take over? They need to know what happened to you as well if they are to understand.

But what if…?

Azur sounded weak. Not so much lacking in confidence as broken. He never thought he’d hear the WereGarurumon like that.

Trust in me, Azur,’ Fenrir thought comfortingly. ‘You are strong enough to overcome this, but not unless you try.

…okay,’ Azur’s voice replied, inciting a small, relieved smile on Fenrir’s face.

The AncientGarurumon closed his eyes as he began to feel the familiar presence of Azur’s mind taking control once more, albeit seemingly hesitantly. But at the moment, that was probably the best possible outcome.

When he opened his eyes, it was no longer those of an AncientGarurumon nor would it belong to Fenrir. It would be those of a haggard WereGarurumon that went by the name of Azur Schattenlicht.

He shuffled and looked at his feet nervously, moving his arms and legs experimentally. It might have been only for a day, but it felt like he hadn’t been able to move his limbs that freely for what seemed like a very long time. They were heavy, and they didn’t move as well as he wanted them to. It was peculiar, though; he imagined them smaller and thinner, yet they looked like they haven’t changed since the time he was caught.

It only proved Fenrir’s point more that it was all in his head…yet there was still the lingering fear, the scared and beaten man that had heard too many painful words from those that he thought cared for him the most, inside him.

“Master Azur! You’re baaaaack!”

In surprise, the WereGarurumon turned his head towards the sudden exclamation, and he spotted a Mamemon X rushing towards him with arms wide open. Half of him wanted to freeze, and the other half of him wanted to yell for the spherical Digimon to get away from. Instead, he jumped away just before Shoon jumped towards him enthusiastically, causing the Mamemon X to continue his flight back to the ground and rolling into the base of a tree with a thud.

Azur shook his head as he the name of the other Digimon suddenly came to mind. “Sh…Shoon,” he said hesitantly. He half expected the metallic Digimon to suddenly say that he wasn’t worthy of being called a master, which was strange since he didn’t even care about it before.

The Mamemon X recovered quickly at the sound of his name, and he quickly dashed in front of the blue wolfman, looking vibrating cue ball the way he was jumping up and down. “I-can’t-believe-you’re-back!-You’re-back-right?-Of-course-you’re-back-you’re-standing-right-in-front-of-me!-I-missed-you-so-much!-I-have-to-tell-everyone!” he said in such quick succession that Azur barely understood what he said.

Just as quickly as he appeared in front of him, the Mamemon X dashed back into the crowd where the others were.

“Everyone! Azur’s back!” Shoon declared loudly, causing said returnee to cringe.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Gunnar ran from his place beside Hira over to Tyr, who was walking towards him.

"Gunnar!" Tyr greeted happily, smiling at him.

"Don't you 'Gunnar' me, pal! What was that about?" the ShineGreymon demanded.

"What was what about?" the VictoryGreymon asked.

"Uh, you hugging Aeria?" Gunnar exclaimed, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh that..." Tyr said, his face quickly becoming erubescent. "She was upset so I was trying to comfort her."

"Yeah, 'comfort her', right. You can't fool me, Tyr! You were trying to cop a feel!" the light dragon declared.

"Was not!"

"Was so!"

"Was not!"

"Was not so!"

"Nuts!" Tyr grunted. "Really, though. I just wanted to make her feel better. Just because I kinda like her doesn't mean that-"

"So you do like her!" Gunnar stated.

Tyr blushed. "Well, so do you!" he shot back.

"Of course I do!"

"Enough, you two!" Tiwaz shouted through Tyr's mouth. "I don't care if you both like Buri! We've had enough arguing as of recently. Shake hands now."

Tyr winced and nodded, outstretching his hand. Gunnar rolled his eyes, but took Tyr's hand and shook it. "I guess everyone's kinda on edge, huh?" Gunnar asked, offering Tyr a grin.

The VictoryGreymon nodded, shaking his friend's hand mightily. "Yeah." He looked over Gunnar's shoulder towards Caradoc who had just gotten beaten by Samael. Nocchi was now blowing up at them. "...Especially them."

-

Barachiel struggled to keep himself from acting as Caradoc recieved beating after beating, first from Bedivere and then from Samael. It took everything to keep himself from activating his Royal Meisters and dashing over. His friend was martyring himself through each of the beatings, not even trying to parry the blows, and it would have been the perfect opportunity to vent his anger, grief and frustration after Hadrael's death and his fight with Kheprius.

However, his cooler head prevailed. He forced it to. He couldn't let himself keep acting on impulse. He wasn't that digimon anymore; he was Barachiel Aker: the acolyte and the last remaining member of Hadrael's mission. It fell to him to carry on their teachings.

"Yeesh," Khep mused, breaking off his conversation with Trowa and looking over at the group. "People are beating Caradoc like it's goin' out of style."

"A surprising amount of Peacemakers have some serious anger management issues," Gunnar commented with a grin. "I agree with Hokey-Nocchi though. The little guy has a point. All we've been doing his fighting each other."

Barachiel walked over, stepping in front of Caradoc protectively and holding one of his deactivated swords in his hand. "He's suffered enough," he spoke firmly. "If anybody else wants to strike him, I suggest they reconsider."

The TigerVespamon turned to Cresil and Caradoc with an unyielding gaze. "I would gladly kill her. The demon," he told them, his voice clear like water. "If she was dead, then there would be no risk to you nor Guinier. Being who I am, I do know about demons. I'm at least experienced enough to create a devil's trap. In the chance that I fail, I'll say that I acted on my own accord. It should be no surprise to anyone that I execrate demons..."

"Woah, Barachiel sweats demons?" Tyr thought.

"No, Tyr," was Tiwaz's reply.

Gunnar stepped forwards, his face serious. "Maybe I'll help you, Barry... After this stuff with Mephistopheles is done, that is. And if we find her in our pursuit for Meph, then all the better."

Barachiel nodded at him before turning to Guinier. "The demon has a point, Guinier, but of course the choice is yours. After all, there is only one person who is omniscient and He is not a demon digimon."

"Actually, nobody is omniscient," Kheprius corrected, folding his arms. He looked to Caradoc. "And look on the bright side: if you do come back from the demon's prison, you probably don't have to worry about killing Boring Trowa's kids because I'm pretty sure he took a vow of chastity or celibacy or something. Right?" he said, turning to Barachiel.

Barachiel didn't grace him with a response. "...You need rest, Caradoc. There will be plenty of time to think about it later."

-

The Lilymon X took a deep breath, and looked up at the sky. She thought about it a few moments, then looked back to Pyra again. "Well," she began, drawing out the single-syllable word, as if unsure of where to begin, "the first time I met Gigas... I was caring for Nocchi in the hospital. He was my patient, and not a very patient one." She giggled softly, recalling the incident. "But Nocchi had a friend, a best friend, who stayed up all night outside of our makeshift hospital tent, waiting for him to get better."

Ivy sighed. "Gigas truly cared for Nocchi. He saw him as his brother. He cared for him unconditionally. It didn't matter if Nocchi called him names... Gigas would always be there for him." She blinked away tears as her emotions sprung up. "That's what struck me most about him. He cared for the people close to him. I'd never met anyone more loving than Gigas."

Pyra smiled lightly in response. "He certainly is..." she mused before Ivy continued.

Gazing up at Pyra, Ivy smiled. "But that's not where it ends. The most important thing about love, Pyra, is that true love is a choice. Not a fairy tale ending. The emotions that you and I feel, they aren't what complete love. They're what start it. It's up to us to choose to love unconditionally. And to do that, we have to look past the outward appearances of those we love. We have to see them for who they really are. We have to know their hearts."

She fluttered to her feet and gently kissed Pyra on the top of her head. "And when you know his heart, you'll know whether he's right or not."

The Paildramon frowned in silence, thinking over Ivy's words carefully. "Their hearts..." she inwardly echoed. Pyra turned back to Ivy with a small but gracious smile. "Thank you, Ivy. We should all probably get some rest."

As Ivy stood up to walk over to her husband and friends, Pyra turned back towards the fire, staring into the flames. "I have to know their hearts...? I know that Kheprius cares for me in his own Khep-like way. That was clear even before he kissed me. But how could I turn my back on Azur after everything we've been through? I don't think I could, but... whatever happened to him caused him to change. I won't know what he wants until he wakes up..." she dwelled pensively.

Pyra sighed and closed her eyes, feeling the warmth of the fire against her face. "And what was it that Father was talking about? Taking the time into account, what may not be totally true about the Paladrius legend? And how does that relate to me?" she asked herself. "He said if he told me, I'd start searching for the answer, but if I did that, I would never find it... What did he mean?"

She opened her eyes and stared at the ground. "Both Paladrius and I became BlackImperialdramon Fighter Mode... Did they lie about him becoming that? No, they would have no reason to add that to the legend... Did it have something to do with the Digi-egg of Tenacity? But that has nothing to do with me, does it? It only goes down the male Torren line. Could-"

Pyra's train of thought was interrupted by a loud, high-pitched voice. “Everyone! Azur’s back!” Shoon declared.

"Azur?" Pyra asked, immediately standing to her feet.

"Lucky us," Kheprius said with obvious sarcasm.

She turned and saw not far behind Shoon was the WereGarurumon in question. The Paildramon could feel her heart speed up in anticipation. She was relieved that he seemed physically okay, but she had no idea what he would do. Pyra walked towards him at a steady pace, not wanting to make any sudden moves in case he was still in a bad state of mind.

Pyra walked past Shoon and stopped several meters away from him, looking into his eyes. "Azur..." she spoke. She took a nervous step towards him.

Would he run off again? What did he go through?

Pyra wished she knew the answers to these questions. Nevertheless, she continued her slow approach, almost as if she was approaching a wild, out-of-control digimon, doing so with the utmost care. She couldn't help but smile at him.

"I'm... so glad you're back..." Upon closing the gap between them, she stepped forwards and wrapped her arms around him.

Last edited:

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Svarog considered Vritra for a moment, his face unreadable; he cocked his head slightly to the side and let out a bellowing laugh. He ignored Vritra's irritation with this new turn of events and continued to laugh: not because he thought her answer was particularly amusing, but because she needed to be stripped of everything that made her so...Vritra.

"If you already know so well, then why are you speaking to me?" Svarog chuckled and shook his head. "What a stupid answer. If you truly had any idea who and what you were you'd already be a god, and you wouldn't need me asking you stupid questions for your stupid answers."

Svarog turned away; the day's events were beginning to wear on him. He was a wrathful, vengeful god, but he'd sated his fury and now fatigue was beginning to claw at him. The sun god didn't need to be bothered by ignorant godlings with foolish notions of universal importance.

"When you have an answer, a real one, find me," Svarog called over his shoulder. "Until then, think long and hard on who and what you are."

===

"Sure, the demon won't see through that thinly-veiled pile of bull," Samael said with a roll of his eyes. He shrugged away from Gigas, snarling under his breath. "But I'm done wasting time with this sackless b*tch. If you wanna quit I don't really care, just try to keep it down when they come knocking with a jar of Vaseline and a garden hose."

"Samael," Thor scolded, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "That was an image I could have done without."

"Now ya speak up?" the three-eyed demon laughed. "Nothin' to say till now? What've you been doin' anyway?"

"Trying to remember what transpired...what I witnessed while under Conquest's control," Thor answered, his brow furrowed. "I don't remember much, just images and a vague sense of things. Conquest was important: Mephistopheles's right hand. He--I was privy to the demon's plans. I just...need to remember."

"Got a plan then?"

"No," Thor answered simply. "So if anyone else has a brilliant idea, now would be the time to speak up. If not, I suppose you're free to argue and fight with one another while demanding that we do something." The thunder god looked to the others. "However, it has been a very long day. I am very tired. So if you do decide to be disruptive, I ask that you do so quietly."

”I’m…so glad you’re back…” Upon closing the gap between them, she stepped forwards and wrapped her arms around him.

At feeling of contact, Azur instantly froze his body. It was a defensive reflex, he knew, but at least it was better than running away in deranged and uncontrolled fear. At least he had his mind about him. Or so he hoped.

The WereGarurumon didn’t dare moving when Pyra pulled away to look at his face, although she didn’t remove her arms from around him. Reluctantly, he looked her in the eye, searching for something in her eyes that he hoped would give him some peace of mind.

“Py…ra…?” he asked, confirming her real existence after a moment of silence.

The Paildramon nodded slowly, staring and trying to decipher his emotions. “It’s…me, Azur,” she said softly, refusing to take her arms from around him.

Azur shuddered at her voice. The feeling of her skin against his fur was both heavenly and terrifying. One part of his body desperately wanted to return the hug, to bury his nose in her scent, to relish and bask in her presence, to love her as he did before his torments. Another part of him, however, wanted to push her away and hide in the forest, frightened at the possibility that he was still deeply entrenched in his nightmare and that this was only a ploy to make him feel even worse. Eventually one part would have to win out.

Slowly and tentatively, the wolf man snaked his arms around her, pulling her close, his hopeful side winning out, if only for a little while. He closed his eyes tightly as he rested his head on her shoulder. “I’m…not…dreaming…?” he muttered, more to himself than to Pyra.

“Luckily, you’re not,” Pyra replied nonetheless with a relieved smile. She strengthened their hug, resting her cheek against his.

With closed eyes, they silently remained in their embrace for a moment, savoring each other’s warm body and scent, the feeling of being held by the one they love. Azur wished that he could just stop time and stay there. After what he’d been through, he would have been happy just to stay like that forever. But eventually, that moment would have to come and go.

“What happened, Azur?” Pyra suddenly asked, opening her eyes.

The wolf man stiffened once more. He opened his mouth, trying to find the words to show her the horror of what he had gone through. “I... It’s…hard to explain,” he muttered before suddenly shuddering as a strong chill climbed up his spine. He could only find one word. “It was…a nightmare.”

The Paildramon in his eyes sighed and pulled him a little closer, rubbing his back affectionately. “It’s over now,” she whispered, trying to calm him down, but at her words, Azur’s hold around her suddenly weakened.

“No…it’s not…” He just couldn’t believe that it was over. He knew that it would haunt him for a very long time, maybe even forever. It was just that terrible.

Pyra pulled away once more, looking at him with confused eyes, trying to figure out what he meant with his words. Before she knew it, Azur’s arms were no longer around her, and his head was bowed down.

“Not…for a long time,” she heard him say with a defeated voice that she never heard him use before. She had never even seen him looking so ashamed at himself before. It was unnerving.

“Azur, I don’t understand,” she said, pulling a hand to caress the side of his face softly.

The WereGarurumon raised his head to look back at her weakly. His eyes looking exhausted. “How long…was I captured?” he suddenly asked, causing Pyra to blink.

“A day,” she replied, her other hand going down to hold his hand, squeezing it lightly. Azur didn’t squeeze or hold it back, but neither did he pull his hand away. To Pyra, that was maybe a good sign. Maybe.

However, at her answer, Azur scoffed, disgusted at himself. “I knew…that it wasn’t long...but…just a day?” he repeated as he grimaced and looked down at the ground between.

‘They broke me…within a day?’ he thought to himself in self-loathing.

Pyra, however, didn’t notice the sudden self-hatred. Instead, she nodded in response to his question. “Yes…I was worried,” she told him, causing Azur to suddenly feel very guilty. “Barachiel told me about what happened. I wasn’t sure if you were alive…or dead,” she whispered. She didn’t know what she would do if he were the latter.

Azur looked away, feeling more guilt run up his body. Even more at the words that he suddenly whispered without thinking. “I would have chosen death…”

For a second, Pyra blinked and wondered if she heard him right. And then she scowled, stepping back and suddenly and swiftly socked him across his face. Not enough to make him fall, but enough to cause the wolf man to stagger back a step.

“Don’t ever say that! And don’t you dare ever do something as reckless and stupid as what you did ever again!” she yelled at him angrily. “You have people that truly care about you!” she added vehemently as Azur turned back to her in shock, a hand on his cheek where she had just struck him. Her words struck him even harder than her punch did.

“How do you think we’d feel if you died?” she added, her voice beginning to lower as she looked at him sadly. “I already know what it feels like to lose somebody close to you…and I know you do, too,” she said, frowning. She knew all too well.

Azur grimaced, his face contorting into immense pain as memories rushed in his head, of her supposedly fake hatred for him. “It…didn’t feel like that,” he muttered as he closed his eyes tightly, trying to drown out the images and voices in his head.

At his sudden vulnerability, Pyra’s anger disappeared, and guilt began to replace it. She stepped forward once more, and although Azur stiffened at the sound of movement, all she did was hold his hand once more and grip it tightly. “What happened, Azur?”

The WereGarurumon opened his eyes slowly, showing the pain inside them. “It was only a day,” he started weakly. “But it felt like weeks.”

Pyra gripped his hand tighter. “Did they interrogate you?” she asked in concern.

Azur’s expression suddenly darkened. Interrogate him? He wished. He could even have handled physical torture. But what he went through…would he think of him the same? Would she think little of his faith in her?

He gritted his teeth, turning to Pyra slightly and looking into her eyes. For some reason, he couldn’t help but ask, “Pyra…do you…hate me?”

The Paildramon stared at him in shock. “How can-“ she stopped, knowing that Azur still was not fully recovered. Instead, she gave a deep breath and answered resolutely, looking into his eyes. “No,” she said, putting her free hand on his shoulder. “No matter what reckless, boneheaded thing you might do, I could never hate you, Azur. That’s something that will never change,” she said with the sincerest voice that she could muster.

The furred Digimon closed his eyes, a bit relieved. “They didn’t interrogate me,” he finally said. “They tormented me,” he whispered, the images and voices in his head coming back.

“Tormented you…? How?” Pyra questioned.

Instead of answered, Azur stepped back, using his free hand to rub his temple. “You…Galic…Fenrir…everyone,” he whispered in a pained voice as the voices of those he mentioned started to get stronger in his head. “…even Dunk…”

Pyra stared, frowning and starting to worry slightly. “What do you mean?”

Azur shook his head, her voice slowly weakening as those in his head started to grow louder and louder. “Y-you…hated me…e-everyone did,” he muttered, wrenching his hand away from his and pressing his hands against his ears in an attempt to silence them.

‘I never should have saved you,’ the sound of Galic’s voice rang in his mind.

“Everyone…d-d-does…s-stop,” Azur began to say in panic as he fell on one knee, wincing hard as his mind began to get assaulted by the visions that somehow still plagued his mind. “P-please…stop,” he gasped.

“A-Azur!” Pyra got down on her knees, putting her hands on his shoulders. “What’s wrong!? Azur!” she called out, trying to draw him back. Her words, however, didn’t reach him.

‘It’s all your fault!’ the image of a bloody and beaten Dunk growled at him, his eyes blank and lifeless.

“I’m…s-sorry,” Azur repeated. “M-my…fault…D-Dunk…s-so…sorry…” he muttered with clenched teeth, his body beginning to shake.

The Paildramon in front of him widened her eyes in panic. “It’s- it’s okay, Azur!” she said, desperately trying to think of a way to bring him back. She wrapped her arms around him tightly, hoping to calm him down.

‘I never loved you, another her, one that was in his mind and looked down at him in contempt, said. His heart began to break.

“P-please…stop…” Azur whispered as he began to get colder.

Pyra’s panic turned frantic as she felt his body heat begin to disappear. “Azur, get a hold of yourself! Whatever you’re thinking about, it’s not real! They were just trying to trick you!” she yelled, her hands on his shoulders and shaking him to no avail. At no response, her irritation came back, and she released him from her hold. “Snap out of it!” she yelled, slapping him once more.

In that instant, Azur recoiled, wincing hard. After a second, he opened his eyes wide, his expression pure disbelief. “W-what…” he muttered, unable to look at the Paildramon.

Pyra looked at him sadly. “You’re okay…”

The WereGarurumon couldn’t bring himself to look at her. “I…I thought,” he whispered as he stared down at the ground. Suddenly, gave out a yell and surprised Pyra in the process. His expression turned into one of extreme despair and anger as he clenched his fists and pounded the ground under him.

“A…Azur,” Pyra whispered, wrapping her arms around the wolf man as soon as her shock disappeared. Azur suddenly felt too weak to do anything but let her.

“I…thought…I was free,” Azur said, more to himself than her, as he pulled his fist back from the ground. As he did so, he noticed at the back of his mind that his blood was dripping to the ground.

“You are free,” Pyra tried to convince him, rubbing his back. “You just need rest; you’re exhausted,” she told him, pulling him close so that she can rest her chin on his shoulder.

The WereGarurumon in her arms scowled at himself, feeling too ashamed and guilty to return her embrace. “I’m sorry…Pyra,” he apologized after a moment.

“So am I,” the Paildramon replied. “I shouldn’t have punched you,” she said, remembering what she had to do to snap him out.

Azur sighed and pulled away, shaking his head. “It was…necessary,” he reassured her. He hated to think what would have happened were he to spend any more time in that state. He was sure that Michael would have deemed him too traumatized to be part of the team anymore…although in retrospect, he had already been kicked out. Not much he could do there. He didn’t notice when Pyra took his injured hand in hers.

“You’re bleeding,” she observed, frowning.

Azur blinked and nodded, finally noticing the dull pain on his hand. He’s definitely felt worse…though he couldn’t really believe that he wished that it were stronger so that it would distract him from his inner turmoil. “I’m…I’m fine,” he decided as he stood back up and took his hand back.

Although not entirely convinced, Pyra stood as well and gave him a tiny smile. “I’ve been hearing that a lot today.”

Azur’s only reply to that was a nod and a rub of the back of his neck. “…Pyra…I…”

“…Yes?”

“Can…can you tell everyone…that I need some…some time to myself?” he asked, turning to her with a weak gaze.

The dragoness nodded understandingly. “Of course,” she answered, taking his hands in hers. “But promise to let me know if you need me for anything,” she requested.

The WereGarurumon nodded, offering her a tiny smile as she squeezed his hands. And then to his surprise, she leaned close and plants a soft kiss on his lips. After a moment of hesitation, Azur returned the short kiss before pulling away with a wider smile.

“Thank you,” he whispered, sighing. “I…needed that…”

Pyra smiled. “I think we both did.”

Azur nodded, feeling a bit relieved, as he reluctantly let go of her hands.

“I’ll be over by the fire,” she told him, turning to the bonfire. “When you’re feeling better, there’s something I want to tell you,” she then added after a few moments of silence.

“O…kay,” Azur replied, blinking but nodding. He was…slightly frightened at what she might want to tell him, but…he guessed it must not be too terrible since Pyra just kissed him a while ago. He turned back to the woods. “I’ll be…over there,” he told her.

“I’ll try to keep Shoon off your back.” Pyra gave him a slightly mischievous smile before walking back to the others.

Azur watched her back before shaking his head. He turned to the woods, walking slowly as his mind drifted towards his predicament and what he needed to do…he needed to think.

-

Aeria was sitting down in front of the bonfire, staring into the bright, entrancing fire. How long she had sat there, she didn’t really know. She had been lost in her thoughts for way too long, thinking on what Tyr said happened and what went through in her mind when she blacked out after the battle.

It was terrifying and eye-opening.

She had spent so many months being afraid of what was inside her because she was told that…that she had killed someone so close to her.

The WarGreymon looked down at her hands, which were playing with a ring that had a tiny diamond on it. It was quaint, and it was definitely not much when compared to a lot of other such jewelry. But it was special to her. She sighed and looked back into the fire.

Roman. The so-called killer inside her called Tyr…Roman. How…how could it know that?

“It’s…all so…confusing,” she muttered to herself.

“What is?”

Aeria squeaked in surprise, her body flinching in reflex. She accidentally threw the ring into the air, and she stood up abruptly. “Ah!”

She turned to her side, her eyes panicked. “My ri-” she stopped, putting her hands on her mouth.

Scharlach grinned at her. “Aww, not even a minute since we met and ye’r already givin’ me stuff,” the ShadowWereGarurumon said, showing her the gold diamond ring. “But I’m not into these things, so you can have it back if ya want,” he told her, winking as he offered her back the piece of jewelry.

Aeria blushed under her helmet and rubbed her arms nervously. “Th-thank you,” she muttered, walking over and and about to take back her ring.

To her surprise, however, Scar had taken her hand and inserted the ring in one of her fingers. “Ah, that’s better. That’s where somethin’ that pretty is s’posed to be, right?” he told her, grinning at her as she took back her hand, blushing even more.

“I…um,” she muttered to herself. “W-was there anything y-you needed?” she asked, battling her nerves.

“Nah, jus’ wonderin’ why a beautiful lady like yourself was all on her lonesome,” Scar told her, hands on his hips and smiling handsomely. “Thought maybe you wanted some company,” he added.

“N-no. I’m fine,” Aeria replied, stepping back and glancing away. “J-just…thinking.”

“About?” Scar asked as he sat down in front of the bonfire and gesturing for her to do the same.

The female Greymon warrior bit her lower lip. “S-some…stuff,” she answered, sitting down.

“What kind of stuff?”

Aeria didn’t answer, not knowing if she should say anything.

“Well, if you won’t say what’s buggin’ ya, can I talk to ya?” Scar asked, turning to her.

The WarGreymon didn’t give him any indication of a negative answer.

“I’m kinda worried for me cuz,” Scar said, looking into the bonfire. “I mean, just a few hours ago, he jus’ looked at me like I were one of his worst nightmares come tah life. That…hurts, yanno?” he said as he rubbed the back of his neck.

Aeria rubbed her hands, twisting the ring around her finger. She understood that…everyone looking at you as if you were a monster.

“Man, what am I sayin’?” Scar then said. “A beautiful lady sitting beside me and all I can do is mope,” he said, chuckling and turning to her. “Mind if I just sit and bask in the moment?” he asked, winking.

Aeria blushed once more but nodded. Just as long as he wouldn’t…try anything.

-

Cresil gave an exaggerated shrug at the answer given to him by the acolyte. The words that Samael spoke were true enough; both Barachiel and Guinier were already too close to Caradoc for them to believable just act of their own accord. Announcing it would only reaffirm that thought.

“Interesting idea, Samael. What experiences must have you gone through to think up of that,” Cresil thought as he walked back to the shadows.

“I suggest that all of you heed the lightning god’s words,” he announced as he started to sink into a puddle of black, too dark to be a normal shadow. “Mephistopheles…will not be happy now that his plans have been altered.”

He grinned as his head disappeared into the abyss.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Pyra glanced over her shoulder at Azur as she walked back to the camp. She sighed in sorrow and pity. Just by looking at him, she could see how deeply Azur's wounds ran. She had no idea what the demon-created apparitions said to him, but if they were enough to cripple Azur so horrendously, then the Paildramon figured she didn't want to know.

She sat down on the ground in front of the fire, attempting to let the warmth of the flames ease her concerns. Pyra knew that it was futile, as her mind raced on anyways.

The dragon pulled her legs slightly closer to herself so that she could bend forward and rest her arms on her knees. She stared at the ground and thought.

"I was initially going to tell Azur about both Maximus and what Kheprius did, but telling him both of those things in his current state... I don't think he would be able to handle it. The way he broke down just at the thought of the memories... I don't know what to do to help him. All I can do is be there for him, I guess. In the same way he was there for me."

"He would have trouble trusting me if I told him about Kheprius. He was always insecure about that. ...But then again, he might not trust me if I told him I kept Maximus being alive from him as well. Damn... But if I don't tell him now, he'll know I'm keeping something from him," Pyra thought, wincing as she felt the headache return.

"On top of this, there's that story about Paladrius that Father brought up and something that he was being cryptic about. What's he keeping from me and why doesn't he trust me enough to tell me?" she wondered. "Paladrius Torren... Are he and I connected aside from our surnames and accidental evolution?"

So immersed in thought was Pyra, that she didn't notice Kheprius sit down beside her. The black insect tapped her shoulder, causing her to immediately look over at him.

"You're more jumpy than Sha tonight," Khep said with a grin.

"Kheprius..." she said with a sigh. "I have a lot on my mind."

"And I'm one of those things, right?" he asked, leaning back on his elbows.

"One of them," Pyra answered.

"How's the wolf cub?" the GrandisKuwagamon asked, looking the way she had come from.

The Paildramon shook her head sadly. "Whatever happened to him while he was in captivity... really took its toll on him."

"What, did they bend him over and have their way with him?" Khep asked nonchalantly.

Pyra shook her head again. "Whatever it was was mental, eating away at his heart and mind when he was vulnerable..." She narrowed her eyes. "Like I was after thinking Max died."

"I've known immeasurable pain," Kheprius explained, remembering the raid on his village. "Sulking and moping about it won't help. He needs to use it to make him that much stronger. That's what I did."

"So he can taint his heart with darkness and hatred?" Pyra asked grimly, remembering her own experiences using her anger and sorrow as a weapon.

Kheprius grimaced. "Maybe you're right..." he spoke. The GrandisKuwagamon eyed Pyra carefully. "So... it's not looking like I'm going to be sleeping right away. You want to talk to me about what happened between us? Come on then; we're on borrowed time as it is."

Pyra's cheeks tinted red behind her helmet, but she nodded with a light exhale. "Right... Back in Anatolia, you and I were talking... and you kissed me."

"Yeah..." Kheprius replied. "I remember."

The Paildramon looked him in the eye. "Kheprius, do you have feelings for me?"

Khep let out a half-scoff, half-chuckle. "You mean 'do I like you the way that Azur likes you?'" he responded.

"Yes..." Pyra replied uncomfortably.

"I don't know, Pyra," Kheprius said with a frown. "You and I both have a connection. We both went down that same path and turned into things we wish we hadn't... We understand each other. But whether I love you... I don't know. I've never been in love before, so I don't know. I'd do you anytime, anywhere, but for the 'L' word, I'm still trying to figure it out."

"I... see..."

The mega-level bug digimon turned to look at her. "When I kissed you, as much as I hate to admit it, I was feeling vulnerable. You helped comfort me and it just sort of happened. If that means I have feelings for you, then maybe I do," he told her firmly. "Do you have feelings for me?"

Pyra winced and turned away, looking towards the fire. "...I love Azur," she replied.

"You love the mutt..." Khep echoed knowingly. "...But that wasn't a 'no'."

"We have a connection," Pyra conceded snappily, turning to face him. "But you're not the only one who's having trouble figuring it out. However..." She looked in the direction Azur was last. "I'm not going to leave Azur... especially not now."

"If Azur wasn't in the picture, do you think we'd be together?" Kheprius asked.

"You're not seriously considering killing Azur," Pyra said, staring at him levelly.

"I was speaking hypothetically. Cripes! Give me some credit. Killing her boyfriend isn't the way to a woman's heart," the GrandisKuwagamon said, shaking his head.

The Paildramon smirked a bit. "Right... Hypothetically..." she closed her eyes and thought. "Maybe. I'm not sure..."

"So where does that leave us?"

Pyra opened her eyes and looked at him. "We're friends, Kheprius."

"Yeah," he agreed. "And we'll see how things go."

The dragon sighed and stood up. "Just take it easy on Azur, please. The smallest insult might set him off. I'm the one who will have to pick up the pieces."

"Fine, fine," he replied with a dismissive wave. "I'll try to be nicer. I'm gonna get some shut eye. Wake me in the morning, Pyra. Night."

"Goodnight, Kheprius," Pyra said with a nod, walking over to a grassy area to sit down. She looked in Azur's direction. "Hang in there, Azur."

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Thor listened, drawing on the weight of the White Sword in his hands. He felt the heart-beat pulse of the living weapon, heard its breath, let its intent flow through him as his flowed through it. Show me, he asked the blade-that-was-not-a-blade. He spoke through the blade, to the well of power it reached to; to the unyielding cosmic phenomenon called the Odinforce, the lingering imprint of Odin's presence on the world. It had spoken to him before several times; it had appeared to him before, when he sought the way to defeat the Mikaboshi.

Thor prayed to his father now to show him the way.

Belial, the Infinite whispered back. Thor was gripped with a vision. He stood beside a Marsmon and a Dynasmon X; stood before Mephistopheles as he told them of his plans. Thor couldn't hear the demon, but a single word echoed through the darkness.

"Belial."

"What was that?" Michael asked, his voice cutting through Thor's trance and vision. The thunder god snapped forward. "You said 'Belial.'"

"Yes," Thor answered, his brow furrowed. He wanted the meaning of the name. "I've been trying to reach back into my experiences as Conquest, trying to remember what he saw and heard." He sighed and stood. "But all I get is a single word."

"It's a name," Michael said stiffly. There was a hard, worried edge to his voice. Belial was an angel, like the rest of them. And like the rest of them, he fell. But Belial was different: he didn't just corrupt the souls of angels; he sought out mortal souls and corrupted them as well. Michael stood. "He dragged down thousands of souls--entire cities at a time. In the end we sent Azrael to strike him down. As they fought, Azrael struck a fatal blow, but instead of succumbing to his injuries, Belial sacrificed his physical form to escape. He became the first demon to take possession of another living creature." Michael looked into the darkness. "Azrael hunted him for days, but to no avail. He was drawn out and thrown into the Inferno, but he's continued corrupting; pulling down thousands of others into the pit.

"We call him the King of Hell," Michael muttered. Thor's vision disturbed him. "Are you confident in the meaning of your vision?"

"Not at all," Thor answered, shaking his head. "But I am confident that the name 'Belial' is of some importance and significance in what is to come."

"Then we should not waste time," Michael declared. "Wake the others, we must leave; to see if these visions of yours hold merit."

"You know where to go?"

"I know where to start," Michael said, nodding. "Which I suppose is more than we usually have to go on." At Thor's look of expectance he explained, "To where Belial was defeated, where his cities were razed.

"Sodom and Gomorrah."

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
"Focus, Tyr."

As an EmperorGreymon, Tyr's eyes narrowed on the tiny flame in front of him. A small blue flame flickered in the palm of his hand. "I'm trying," he responded to Tiwaz's order.

"You're doing it wrong!" Tiwaz chastised.

The EmperorGreymon let out a grunt as the flame suddenly vanished. "I couldn't do it... with all the talking," he panted, bending forwards in his sitting position.

"The enemy isn't going to just turn their backs and wait for you to get it right, Tyr. There's going to be distractions. Far worse ones than me advising you," the AncientGreymon explained.

Tyr sighed and sat up, looking into the fire. "I can't do this, Tiwaz. I'm not a god."

"You're not a god yet," Tiwaz replied in Tyr's mind's eye. "You're my descendant, aren't you? You have to have some potential for me to be resurrected in you."

Tyr shook his head, standing up and turning his back to the dwindling campfire. "Then you're the one who's special, not me."

"Is that what you think, Tyr?" Tiwaz growled. "Why do you think I push you so much? It's because I know there's potential in you, Tyr. You can create a flicker of fire. It's not much, but it's better than what Gunnar or Kheprius or Samael can do. You just need to find your spark. You need to understand my- our element. They don't call me the dragon of flame for nothing. If I can't teach you, then I don't deserve to call myself a fire god."

"Why don't you teach Vritra?" Tyr asked. "She's descended from the guy from those history books, right?"

"Tch. She doesn't want my help. The fire cub can teach her; he's a far more suitable teacher for somebody like that than I am, I'll tell you that much."

"Why's that?" Tyr questioned further.

Tiwaz frowned. "My father told me that everybody learns in different ways. He may not be in the history books like a god would be, but I tell you, he could fight circles around me, even after losing his sight. He had the blood of a true warrior, which is more than I can say for most of the people here," the dragon said with a shake of his head. "Anyways, the truth of it is there's technically no right or wrong way to realize your godhood. I'm sure I found mine different from Fenrir who found his different from Thor and so on. I can just tell you what worked for me. Vritra never would have went along with my advice. She's too single-minded."

Tyr nodded. "...I'm not?" he asked, confused.

"Not if you're willing to listen. And I mean really listen to me. Are you?" he asked.

Tyr nodded again. "Yeah."

Tiwaz smiled. "Okay. Right. First things first. Take your head out of your rear end and get some confidence for Perun's sake! You're not as terrible as you like to believe, Tyr. Right. Next! A common misconception - and this is why Vritra and I would never have got on - is that fire can only bring death and destruction. That's a load of rubbish. In fact, things can be made from fire too."

"How do you mean?" the EmperorGreymon questioned his ancestor and mentor.

"Think of it this way. A fire burning on the coldest mountain brings life, doesn't it? And even if flames do destroy, things can be made and even reborn through destruction. Fire paves the way for life to sprout, Tyr," Tiwaz explained. "And even though fire represents ruination, it can also represent a burning hope. The fact of the matter is, light cannot exist without fire, I'm pretty sure. All Light emerges from Fire. The suns, the stars, the reflection of the moon, even this campfire. People say that fire only breeds death and ruin, but without it, life as we know it would cease to exist. Everything would just be a frigid, desolate wasteland. People say they understand the nature of fire, but they're usually far from even scratching the surface. This is coming from a fire god who lived and breathed flames for centuries. Do you understand what I'm saying, Tyr?"

Tyr nodded slowly. "I... think I do, Tiwaz..."

Tiwaz smirked. "Good. Lecture over. Really try to think about what I said, Tyr. Once you do that, things should be clearer to you."

"Okay."

The EmperorGreymon the glanced over upon seeing Thor walk over and start to wake the others up. "Looks like it's time to go."

"Maybe Thor remembered something," Tiwaz thought. "At any rate, terrific. I was worried we were just going to sit on our asses until the apocalypse came. There's nothing wrong with being productive."

Tyr leaned over and shook Gunnar awake. "Gunnar. I think we're leaving. Get up, buddy."

"Wha? Is that you, Sig's mom?" Gunnar groggily asked.

"...No, it's me. Tyr."

"Damn," he mumbled, trying to wake himself up. "This better be worth it..."

-

Pyra walked away from the camp and into the forest where her lupine boyfriend was soul-searching. She jumped over some thick underbrush and saw the WereGarurumon sitting on the log, his back facing her.

She smiled with some relief and walked over to the log, putting a foot on it and looking down at Azur. "Azur?" she asked, getting his attention. The wolf digimon turned to her and looked up wordlessly.

"...Pyra?" he questioned, as if to make sure she was the real one. Azur looked as though he had been up the entire night.

Pyra smiled slightly and sat down beside him on the log. "Feeling any better?"

Azur narrowed his eyes and glared at something off to the side. "Not... really..." he replied.

The Paildramon couldn't help but note that if he was glaring at things again, he couldn't too far gone. Nevertheless, Pyra looked at him sadly and squeezed his hand in her's. "I'm sorry. Is there anything I can do?"

Azur paused before shaking his head slowly. "...No... I have to deal with this...myself..." the WereGarurumon said.

After giving an understanding nod, Pyra sat in silence. She was having trouble deciding whether or not to tell him about Max or not. Whether it was a good idea in his current state, she didn't know.

Azur sighed and straightened himself up from his previous slouching position. "...Did you, uh... need something from me?" he asked.

Pyra rubbed the back of her neck uncomfortably. "Yeah... Err... First, I've been wondering... Why did you sneak off with Barachiel, Caradoc and Guinier that one night?"

The WereGarurumon was silent and turned away. "...I told you before... didn't I...?"

Shaking her head, knowing that he was dodging the question, Pyra pressed on. "You said you reverted back to your old ways. That wasn't the reason though; it's just what kept you going."

Azur sighed deeply, clearly wanting to avoid the topic. "...Pyra... I..."

Pyra gave him a firm stare. "After all that we've been through, I want to think we can trust each other... despite our flaws."

Azur cringed, not sure how to say what he had to say to her. "...Do... do you remember what happened... before I left with them...?" he asked, thinking back.

A wince of guilt flashed through the Paildramon's face. She remembered back, when she told Galic that she wasn't sure if she should tell Azur about Maximus or not. She planned to tell him, but then she changed the subject at the last minute and Azur saw through her. He then promised her space and that was the last she saw of him until after the attack on Anatolia. "...Yes," she answered simply.

"...I... wanted to get away..." he explained with a grimace.

Pyra turned forward and looked at the ground, frowning. "So it was my fault..."

Turning to her, Azur squeezed her hand and pulled it a bit closer. "No, Pyra... Don't say that..."

"It was." Pyra lightly squeezed his hand back. "I couldn't bring myself to tell you because I was afraid of how you'd react. I didn't trust you enough..." she explained with regret tinging her voice.

After a moment, Azur sighed and put his hands on her shoulders, turning her to him and placing his forehead against hers. "I don't want you to be afraid of me, Pyra... ever..." he murmured lovingly.

Pyra sighed against him, feeling his warm breath against her neck. "I know... It's the same with me. That's why I'm here now. I want to tell you. I just wasn't sure how..."

"Just tell me, Pyra... not telling me... won't change what you want to say..." Azur whispered.

Pyra sighed and pulled away slightly so that she could him look him in his gold-hued eyes. "...I've been keeping something from you. During the time we were travelling together..." she explained, the apprehension obvious in her voice.

Azur remained silent and did his very best to keep his fear and nerves at bay. The soothing words that Fenrir spoke in his mind doing well to keep him from panicking. He brought himself to finally nod silently.

After a pause of deliberation, Pyra willed herself to keep going.

"...Maximus is alive, Azur. I found out after we all went our seperate ways," she informed, looking down in guilt.

Azur stared at her in shock, stopping himself from talking for several moments. "Max is..."

Pyra nodded, still refusing to look at him. "It was all a horrible case of mistaken identity and bad communication... They had the same nickname - the same species - so I just assumed..." She grimaced and looked away.

The werewolf pulled away from her with a confused frown. "...Why... why was that hard to tell me...?"

"I... wasn't sure how to tell you without it sounding like I was bragging," she told him, turning to look at him sadly. "Because Dunk also died... I thought if I told you my brother was alive, you'd feel worse... and might even come to resent me. I should have told you..."

Azur went silent and looked down, trying to stifle a hurt expression. "...Did you... did you think it was impossible for me to happy for you...?" he asked dourly.

Pyra winced. "Of course not... but I thought that some part of you might feel that way. The wounds were still so fresh and I was still trying to make sense of it. I know I should have trusted you more." She gripped his hand tighter. "I'm sorry."

"I... don't know what to say, Pyra..." he spoke.

She sighed and turned away. "I understand if you're mad... That wasn't the only reason I didn't tell you though." The dragon digimon looked down and released her grip on his hand. "I was ashamed..."

The WereGarurumon glanced at her. "...Of...?"

Pyra's ruby eyes narrowed in grim recollection. She felt a sick tightness in her chest whenever she had to think about that dark time. "...Everything I did after Max's supposed death was to get vengeance for him. All those horrible things I did. Things I didn't think I was capable of. Things I now despise myself for, even if he were dead. I nearly killed Kheprius, Tyr, Sir Gawain. I tried to kill you! And it turns out that it was all for nothing anyways. Max wasn't even dead... And all that darkness was deep in my heart all along..."

"...Are you scared of the darkness...?" Azur asked, looking down. "Even though we all have them inside... somewhere...?" He held her hand tightly as he saw Fenrir's memories. "Pyra...whatever happened in the past...is in the past...we move on..." He closed his eyes. "We have to..."

"After seeing what I have the potential to become?" Pyra asked remorsefully, turning to him. "Of course I am... And that's easier said than done. I couldn't move on after I thought Max was dead. How can move on from something that will always be with me?"

Azur went silent and bowed his head deeper. "Somehow..." he finally said, looking back up at her and taking her hands in his. "You will... somehow... and I'll be there too... because... you're helping me... right now..."

Pyra looked at him with a sad but confused expression. "I... am?"

The white wolf slowly took her in his arms, wrapping the dramon in his soft embrace and pressing her against his fur. "...Pyra... I'm... I'm so lost right now..." he explained, closing his eyes. "...I need you here... or I might lose my mind..."

Pyra wrapped her arms around him apprehensively. "...I won't go anywhere if you won't..." she replied. She then managed a grin. "...And even if you do, I'll probably end up dragging you back."

"...I hope so..." he whispered as he held her tighter and rested his chin on her shoulder.

The Paildramon smiled and returned the action, cuddling into Azur's neck fur.

"I'm so tired..." Azur whispered.

After putting a hand on the back of his head, Pyra rubbed him affectionately. "Let Fenrir take over... We're moving out soon..." she advised.

Azur nodded against her and allowed her to break away from the intimate moment and stand him up. In a flash of light, Fenrir took control and became AncientGarurumon once again.

Pyra nodded at Fenrir, who returned the gesture. She offered a small but worried smile. "Did you have as much trouble with Tiwaz as I do with Azur?" she asked, thinking about the two reckless hotheads.

"You have no idea..." he answered, walking the way she came. Pyra eyed him for a moment before following the AncientGarurumon, heading back to the others.

-

"Belial..." Barachiel echoed, hearing the news from the others. Chills crawled down his spine. "The King of Hell?"

"Uhh," Gunnar said, folding his arms. "I thought those Seven Demon Lord guys were the kings on the Inferno. Not some 'Belly-L' or whatever."

"Whatever the case, if we're to face him... things will be difficult," Barachiel explained.

"I don't care who he is," the ShineGreymon answered. "If he's a demon who stands against us, he has to die. Am I wrong, Barry?"

Barachiel glanced at Caradoc and then down at the pendant that hung around his own neck. He placed a hand on it protectively. "No, Gunnar. You're not wrong..." he said softly. "Demon or Beetlemon... they must be purged."

"Hey, took ya long enough!" Kheprius called out, watching as Pyra and Fenrir walked over to the Peacemakers. The GrandisKuwagamon grinned as he observed Fenrir. "Aww, is the wolf pup too scared to fight with us? Sure Azur talks big, but when it counts..."

Pyra shot him an annoyed glare. "Kheprius. What did I say?" she asked.

Khep rolled his red eye. "Yeah, yeah. Yes, ma'am. Sorry, ma'am."

Tiwaz glanced around at the others, taking the form of AncientGreymon as it was faster and provided transport for the ground-bound digimon. "So where are the ruins of Sodom and Gomorrah anyways?"

Gunnar flew up into the air. "We can talk on the way. We have to get there before Meph and what's left of his cronies do their thing, whatever it is. It's gotta be a seal, so we better book it."

Khep nodded. "Yeah. It'd be great if, just once, we didn't show up late to the party."

Barachiel walked over to Caradoc, hailing with a slight nod. "...Do you think you're up to the task?" he asked him, well aware of his deteriorating will over the past few days. Not to mention his constant misfortune of getting beaten up, ironically more by friend than foe.

He put a hand on the Valkyrimon's shoulder. "We... can't afford to dwell on the past. These upcoming battles require our absolute focus," he told him, though admittedly he was having trouble getting his mentor's murder out of his head. "It's of the utmost importance, Caradoc... Just don't worry."

The TigerVespamon turned his head away from Caradoc and towards the rising sun.

"I'll get them all."

Last edited:

storymasterb

Knight of RPGs
Barachiel walked over to Caradoc, hailing with a slight nod. "...Do you think you're up to the task?" he asked him, well aware of his deteriorating will over the past few days. Not to mention his constant misfortune of getting beaten up, ironically more by friend than foe.

He put a hand on the Valkyrimon's shoulder. "We... can't afford to dwell on the past. These upcoming battles require our absolute focus," he told him, though admittedly he was having trouble getting his mentor's murder out of his head. "It's of the utmost importance, Caradoc... Just don't worry."

The TigerVespamon turned his head away from Caradoc and towards the rising sun.

"I'll get them all."

Caradoc nodded slightly, hard to see in the embrace of the cold twilight, but the motion was there. Like his soul now, he reflected in a melancholy fashion. Caught in the twilight. Not the demon's... but not truly his either.

The dream came again, the one that had left his sleep so restless that past night. Slivers of terror. Screams. Fire. Death. The veil of black wings, silent, deadly. The blood and the flame and the death.

Unseen by Barachiel, he clenched a fist, so hard his nails dug into his palm. No. No dwelling on it.

"I can do this," he reassured the TigerVespamon. "I can fight them, Barachiel." He nodded to his friend. "Thank you for your concern." Concern. A strange word to consider anyone applying to him now. After his deal... his mistake.

He gazed out toward the rising sun, just as Barachiel. "We'll stop them. We have to."

-

Bedivere frowned, another demon lord? And at Sodom and Gomorrah? He had heard tales of those cities, those cursed hives. Of their sin and their decadence, and of the judgment which had in turn fallen.

He did not... relish the prospect of paying a visit to more ruined, devastated cities, not after their venture to Avalon. But still... it had to be done. To stop Mephistopheles, he reminded himself. And to do that, there was no boundary he could set on what he chose to do, to fight.

He stepped up beside Michael and Thor. "Gunnar's question intrigues me. If Belial is the 'King of Hell', then where exactly do the Demon Lords fit in the hierachy, if the demons even have such a thing?" Knowledge was a weapon in its own way. Know the enemy. Know his command structure. Know his weaponry, his tactics, his soldiers. Know his strengths and his weaknesses. These were the ways of the tactician and the strategist. Bedivere was a front-line soldier, born to soldiers, forged on the anvil of war. But he knew that now, in his elevated position, he had to make use of these ways.

And in this type of war, one of hearts and souls and minds, perhaps knowledge was more of a weapon than ever.

-

The sun rose. Its rays cast light over her cobalt armor, as Guinier watched the sphere of fire and glory rise up, reminding her of the fiery deity who had returned to them. She cast a glance at Svarog, glad he was back, but mystified as to how. He had been War, and from what had been said he suddenly... wasn't. Just as suddenly as Milleniummon had been pulled back, ripped from Reality and back into the Nothing.

"It is strange." Startled, the UlforceVeedramon looked to her side, seeing Vritra as the goddess stepped up. "You're thinking about whatever stopped Milleniummon? Aren't you?" Guinier nodded. "It was strange... one instant it seemed unstoppable, the next it was gone. But you sense it too, don't you? The power? The traces?"

"Yes," Guinier mumured. "They were there, Milleniummon... and something else."

"If we have an ally in whatever lies beyond this world, then we may have a chance," Vritra mused. She gazed unblinkingly towards the sun. "But for now, we have to earn victory through our own hands." The BurningGreymon regarded the cobalt knight silently for a moment. "Do you think you can do that, Stormheart?"

"Yes," Guinier answered. "I can fight and I can kill, Vritra." She stared fierily into the goddess' eyes. "I will kill that demon's soldiers, I will kill Mephistopheles if I get the chance. I'll end this."

"Good." Vritra turned and began to walk away, before stopping to glance back at Guinier. "I think Caradoc Stern is blockheaded, stupid and determined to become a martyr," she paused, "but I also think at heart he's a good man. And judging by our group... there are few good men left." And with that, she was gone, back to pondering fire and drought and heat, to pondering herself and who she was.

Guinier looked back to the sun, averting her gaze as it hurt her eyes. What could she really believe? After what Caradoc had done... could a selfish man also be a good one, she wondered. Even if he was really, at heart, empty? Was Caradoc empty?

She didn't know what to think of him anymore, what to believe. She just couldn't understand what he'd become... why he couldn't let go...

TheSequelReturns

Faithful Crusader
"Duo!" Lucia practically jumped at the Gaiomon and they embraced each other as Lucia laughed. "Its good to see you again."

Duo sat the smaller Minervamon down on her feet, a smile on his face for the first time in a while. "I'm glad to see you're alright Lucia." Looking at her now, she seemed so happy. Was she truly that happy to see him or was she just putting on a brave face after what happened. It wasn't that long ago that she was in a hospital bed after all.

Lucia smiled, still trying to hold in her laughter. "Likewise. Its already been too long." She turned her bright eyes on him, Duo smiled as well, gently and warmly. He expressed his joy calmly and with reservation, but that strength of his was what made her feel so safe when she was with him. His reservation, that subtle expression was what helped her act so free, so unbridled.

"Sorry to interrupt, but if I let you two go on I'd never get a word in edgewise." Trowa said.

Duo turned to him, honestly taking notice of him for the first time since their landing. "Trowa." their last meeting back at Anatolia was still fresh in Duo's mind. "Its good to see you as well, but I must admit I'm surprised. I expected you to remain in Anatolia."

The TigerVespimon shrugged, shaking his head. "What, and miss all the action again? As much as I hate to admit it, I'm a part of this little band too." He grinned. "And lets face it, you didn't exactly save the day without me."

Though that wasn't quite what he was expecting, a smile tugged at the edge of Duo's mouth. It was nice to have Trowa back in old form, even if there was still the matter of his disappearance to deal with. But, Duo trusted him to tell him in due time. Trowa had said he would after all. The issue still weighed heavily on his mind though, and it kept that smile from forming. That fact wasn't lost on Trowa, but the TigerVespimon seemed content to ignore it for now.

Something had started with the others, and voices were getting raised. The three turned their attention to the group for the moment. Duo looked back, and Trowa met his gaze. And in that moment, Duo realized that Trowa had changed. Whatever had happened to him, this wasn't the old Trowa. He could still play the part, keep up the act, but that glimpse told Duo all he needed to know. And sooner or later, he would have to keep that promise of his.

-------

The night wore on, and somehow the others had managed not to kill each other yet again.

Millinummon's brush with resurrection, Samael's resurrection, Thor and Svarog's return, and perhaps the most disturbing of all the news, Caradoc's deal with a demon. A lot had happened. A lot of emotions and tempers were flaring and clashing, and though Duo feared that it was only a matter of time before something gave, as it almost had today when Bedivere had nearly beaten Caradoc to a pulp, the group had somehow managed to calm down, and everyone had more or less separated for the night. After all the drama from earlier, the still night felt strangely peaceful.

The trio of Duo, Lucia, and Trowa had gathered once again, for the first time in what felt like a very long time. The three of them sat in relative silence, each knowing what was about to be discussed, but none of them wanting to start the conversation.

Lucia looked up at Trowa and smiled, but Trowa's expression was solemn and her joy faded a bit. She turned to Duo, and seeing that he was much the same way, began to withdraw back into silence. Feeling a bit dejected, but wanting to end the heavy atmosphere, Lucia spoke up anyway. "It really is nice to have you back Trowa. It almost feels like old times."

Trowa cracked his neck. "Yeah, I guess it is isn't it."

The silence started to creep in once again. Its now or never. Trowa thought. Time to bite the bullet and just tell him already.

"Look Duo." Trowa said, and Lucia was a bit taken aback by just how serious he looked, and was left just watching him with a look of curious confusion. "I'm not entirely sure how to tell you what I have to tell you, so I'm just gonna say it."

When he didn't continue, Duo nodded. "Go ahead."

"Saria was the one who told me about it." Trowa said. "She made me promise not to tell you before she even told me, or I would have came to you straight away. She really believed that it was best if you didn't know beforehand."

"If I didn't know what?" Duo asked. "What are you not telling me."

Trowa sighed. "She told me that..." He let out a breath. "...that you aren't an only child."

For a moment, Duo wasn't sure that he had heard him right. "What did you say?"

"She told me that your father had another child." Trowa said.

"But how could she know that if I myself didn't know." Duo frowned. "There's no way."

"That day, back in the village. When you slaughtered your father and his men. You don't remember it do you?" Trowa set his eyes on Duo's with an intensity that he had never seen before.

"I thought so." Trowa read the look of defeat on Duo's face.

"I didn't kill them." Duo said weakly.

"You may as well have." Trowa said, but there was no anger in his voice. He understood the situation with the Reaper. Saria had told him many things in the past six months. "It turns out that you didn't kill all of your father's men. Some of them escaped... including your sister."

"My... sister?" Duo said. "I have a sister?"

Once again, Trowa looked down, a pained expression on his face. "Saria sent me to find her. Said that maybe if I could find her, it would make up for her failure to protect Rayne that day."

It was Duo's turn to take on a pained expression now. Even after all these years, Saria still hadn't forgiven herself. She continued to torture herself with guilt, even after Duo himself had come to terms with the pain and the guilt.

"So I went." Trowa looked away. "I mean, why the hell not? It was as simple a request as any, just told me to go find her." He let out a breath. "I think the worst part was, I actually did."

"What do you mean?" Duo asked.

Trowa held his silence.

"What happened." Duo asked again. He rose from his seat.

"Duo..." Lucia rose as well. She could hear the edge of anger in his voice.

"I swear to you, if there was another way then I would have taken it." Trowa said.

"What did you do." the Gaiomon took a step forward, and Trowa rose from his seat as well.

"I did what I had to do. If I hadn't.... then... then..."

"Then what?"

"Duo..." Trowa looked his friend right in the eye. "I killed her. Your sister, she's dead. Because of me."

For a moment, Duo didn't believe him. He couldn't believe him. There was a part of him that rejected his friend's words, that screamed out that it wasn't true, that it couldn't be true, and yet... the look in Trowa's eyes. There was no doubt, no loss of conviction. He spoke the truth, and a flash of darkness came over Duo's face. Before he knew what he was doing, his hand was already on the hilt of his sword.

"Why." Duo asked. "Tell me why."

"Because I had to." Trowa said, stepping closer. "I didn't have any other choice."

"You had better have a good reason for all of this, because if you don't-"

"If you would shut up and let me tell you instead of reaching for your sword like-"

"Stop it! Both of you!" Lucia shouted, and the two fell silent, each refusing to look at the other. "Stop the fighting, stop the shouting. This isn't the time for that. So, please..." Duo released his grip on his blade, and Trowa backed down. "Now, explain yourself Trowa." Lucia said looking at him, tears in her eyes. And Trowa nearly buckled. The way she was looking at him was like a dagger to his heart. If Duo was like a brother to him, then Lucia was a sister. To have them both stare at him like that was almost too much. He had to make this right.

"...I didn't have any other choice." Trowa said. "Because she was going to kill your niece." He took his seat again, a defeated look on his face. "I had to make a choice. To kill my friend's sister to save the life of an innocent child, or to let that act of evil be committed for the sake of someone's bloodline. And I made my choice."

He looked up at Lucia, and at Duo, and for the first time, they saw tears in his eyes. "I hate to say it, but your sister was no better than your father." Trowa said. "A thief, a murderer... when I found her she was holed up in some god-forsaken town and tied up with the worst of them. If hadn't done what I had, she would have beaten her own daughter to death for taking money to buy paints."

Trowa sighed and turned hsi gaze to the ground. "I don't expect you to forgive me. Hell, I don't even expect you to believe me. I just want you to know that I did what I thought was right, and that If I could have done anything, anything to change what happened that day I would have."

"Trowa..." Lucia wanted to walk to him, to hug him, to let him know that he didn't have to keep torturing himself like that, but she couldn't. It didn't feel right. Right now, this was Duo's to deal with. She hated to think of it like that, but that was simply how it was. She couldn't interfere, not now.

Duo was quiet for what seemed like a long time. Eventually, he spoke. "What happened to her daughter."

"Don't worry, she's safe." Trowa said. "I took her back with me. Saria is looking after her now."

Duo nodded. "Then what is done is done." He took a step closer to Trowa, and held out his hand. "I don't know if I want to forgive you or not." he said. "But I do know that you are a good friend. If you did what you thought was right, then I have no choice but to forgive you. My sister may have been beyond redemption, but she was still my sister, my family. And yet... I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same in that situation."

Trowa looked at his friend's hand for a moment. "Are you sure its that simple?" he asked.

"What good does it do to hold on to grudges? All it does is fester insider of you like a sickness, and in the end it robs you of what you hold dear. No, it is better if I forget the darkness and focus on the good that has come out of this. I may not have a sister, if I ever truly did, but now I have a niece to meet. And if you hadn't done what you had then she wouldn't be here right now. So get up before I change my mind and punch you."

He nodded and grabbed Duo's hand, letting his friend pull him to his feet. "Well, for what it means, your niece is a little angel, but your sister was a total b*tch."

Duo punched Towa hard, knocking him to the ground. The TigerVespimon wiped the blood off of his cheek and looked up to see Duo smiling. "There, now we're even." he said, and Trowa couldn't help but laugh.

"You scale-headed idiot." Trowa said. "That's not how it works."

"It works for me." Duo said "Just tell me one thing."

"Yeah, sure."

"What are their names? My sister and my niece."

"Your sister was called Kail." Trowa said. "Your niece is Niraphim. I call her Nira though, its easier to say."

"Kail and Niraphim..." Duo said. "Thank you Trowa. I still don't know what to think about this whole matter, perhaps if Saria had spoken to me about it, things could have turned out differently..."

Lucia placed a hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry about it. The past is written in stone, it cannot be changed, but the future is a blank slate. What happened was a tragedy, but now you can have a future where you can know your niece. You can see her grow up, you can get to know her, see her have a family of her own one day, a family that you will be a part of." She reached out and helped Trowa up. "So stop punching each other and just be friends again you numb-skulls."

Trowa laughed. "Well, I think I still owe your boyfriend a few free shots..."

"And I intend to collect on that someday." Duo said. "But right now the lady has a point. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow, and being angry with each other isn't going to help anything." Duo held out his hand again. "So for what it counts, I forgive you."

Trowa seemed a bit hesitant, but he shook Duo's hand anyway. "Thank you, just give me a warning if you intend to punch me again."

"Alright you two." Lucia said. "Its been a long day, and I think we've all had our share of drama for the day."

"Well then my lady," Trowa said. "If it pleases your grace, I'll take my leave now. You two can go ahead and get as close as you want tonight, I won't peek, I promise." and with that, he was gone, flying off to some other part of the area for the night.

"As close as we want..." Lucia said, a blush coming to her face at the idea.

"Relax, he was only messing with us." Duo said, a bit rushed. As if he was trying to convince himself of that fact.

"But... we haven't gotten close in a while. Have we?" Lucia asked.

"Recent events have been a bit counterproductive to quality time..." The Gaiomon took a seat again.

"Duo... are we..." The Minervamon's voice wavered a bit, "are we drifting apart? Its been so long since we've had any time together, and with everything that's been going on we haven't had any time to talk even so I-" A familiar hand grasped her arm and pulled her close, and a familiar pair of lips stopped her words. When they finally broke their kiss, their eyes meet and feelings welled up in them that neither of them had felt in a many a day.

"I haven't forgotten my promise to you." Duo said. "I promised that I would always be there for you, that I would always love you, and I meant every word as much then as I do now."

Lucia held him close. "I'm sorry for doubting you. But, can you promise me one more thing?"

"Whatever you ask, so it will be."

She smiled. "Can you stay with me tonight?"

Duo smiled as well, and to her delight it was the same smile from earlier, the smile that she though would fade after tonight's confessions. "Of course."

-------

Morning had come all too soon, and the group had assembled to prepare for their next mission, so to speak.

"Oh man, I slept like a log last night." Justin said as he stretched his arms. "And good thing too, if today's premonition of evil is any indication. I think a good night's rest is essential if we're going to be taking on the King of Hell himself."

Trowa sighed. "That guy is seriously my replacement? Man Duo, I never expected you to replace me that fast, much less with a space cadet."

"Ha" Justin said, and the four turned to look at him. "You think that I am merely your stand in? Nay, I am no sidekick, I am nothing short of the hero in this story!"

"Sidekick huh?" Trowa mused. "Did I say space cadet? Better make that space captain."

"Aha, I see even you can see that I am more than a mere cadet! You just may make a good sidekick yourself, what do you say?" Justin made a pose, stretching one arm up into the air, the other folded by his side.

"I say that you're a total nutbar who thinks pointed shades are still in style."

The SuperStarmon was taken aback. "What? What's wrong with my shades?"

"Well, for starters they look like something even a MetalEtemon would be ashamed to wear, and that's-"

"Will you two cut it out?" Duo said, "You guys are giving me a headache."

Lucia laughed. "Who would've thought that the four of us would all get together like this. Its really something isn't it?"

"Enough dillydally," Justin practically jumped up, pumping his fist. "We know where the forces of evil gather, let us ride to deliver justice!"

"Okay, you're just trying to sound stupid aren't you?" Trowa socked him over the head, and Justin failed his arms about. Lucia couldn't hold back her laughter, and she nearly lost it.

"What's wrong with having some enthusiasm for doing good?" Justin adjusted his shades. "I'm starting to think you'd make a better villain than a sidekick."

"Enough you two, seriously." Duo said. "We've got a job to do. Lets make sure it gets done this time."

Last edited:

Kamotz

God of Monsters
"It's but a title. Given only because of his power and wealth of souls," Michael said, answering Gunnar and Bedivere as they flew. "The Inferno serves as prison to the demons--to the Demon Lords, more so than the others. They are ensnared by their sins while the others walk 'free'--if you can call it such. At least..." Michael hesitated just a moment before continuing, "This is what we are told."

Michael rarely had doubts. In recent years--especially after his adventures with the Peacemakers--he found himself questioning orders, but never did his faith in The Truth waver. Not until now, at least. He could feel it boiling away below the surface; the Inferno, Sin--a cauldron of uncertainty. What all-knowing, all-loving, all-powerful God would allow it to boil over? Was it all a test? Is that why Millenniummon was dragged back into the abyss? Because they weren't ready?

The archangel shook his head in frustration. No. No all-loving God would test them (or the world) so cruelly. He found himself terrified for the umpteenth time with the questions that followed. It was not a crisis of whether or not God existed: this, Michael knew. It was not just belief. It was experience. No. Nor was it a question of whether or not God was all-knowing or all-powerful. These he could deal without. He was not so vain, so foolish, to presume perfection. He understood that great power and great wisdom often gave the illusion of omnipotence and omniscience.

The question had startled him at first, sending a chill down his spine. What if God was not all-loving? But then came a far more terrifying question, one that made him sick to his stomach just thinking about it.

What if God didn't care?

"It makes sense," Michael continued, attempting to ease his own uncertainties, if only for the moment. "If the Demon Lords could roam freely they would not be so difficult to release."

"Mephistopheles ain't havin' such a hard time," Samael said, looking pointedly at the two leaders. "And if Belial gets loose-"

"Then let's stop bellyaching and kill them," Svarog said, as boisterous as he'd ever been. "Kill them and let that be the end of it. Send a message to all who might ever again try to release the Demon Lords that the only thing awaiting them is bloody death. And if the Demon Lords somehow get loose they should know the same fate awaits them!"

"This is no time for boasts and war cries," Michael said, admonishing the war god. "The Demon Lords will-"

"-Do nothing if we do not allow it," Svarog said sternly, his voice in wisps of smoke. "My words contain no empty boasts or threats. It is a solemn vow. I will kill them and all who follow them if they rise."

Michael regarded Svarog quietly for a few moments. "You were never this...protective, Svarog," Michael said. "What changed?"

"Everything," Svarog answered simply. "I existed beyond life and death. I was a pawn for the deeds of nefarious beings. Never again, Michael, never again. I will make such an example of this Mephistopheles--of all these demons--that any other creature that crawls up from the cold abyss will think twice about stepping foot on this world for fear of crossing me."

=====

The ruins of Sodom and Gomorrah...

They rose from shadow and ash--Mephisto and the shattered remnants of his ilk. The demon's magic conjured them, called them into being, and brought them into the bounds of reality from their dark stronghold. The demon, with blood-red eyes, surveyed the broken expanse--a salt-field.

"This is where we make our counterattack," he hissed, his voice seething.

"Uh, boss, not to nit-pick, but isn't theirs the counterattack?" Marcus asked, scratching his head innocently. "That would make this the counter-counterattack. Oh! Or maybe a counter-point-attack! Or a-"

"Be. Quiet," Mephistopheles ordered, and Marcus's mouth snapped shut. "Dracula, wait here with me. The rest of you," he looked to Nebiros, Sabnok, Marcus, and Famine, "Take up your positions and wait. If the Peacemakers arrive, I don't want to be disturbed." The four bowed and took off.

"Am I to guard you then?" Dracula asked, with an almost-smug tone. "Protect you from that sun-god again?"

"Were I to require protection from Svarog I would find assistance from one able to actually stand in his presence," Mephistopheles snapped back, lacking the patience to deal with the vampire's barbs. "There is a much greater part for you to play here. It requires your utmost devotion."

"Do I get to kill another angel? Michael, perhaps?" Dracula asked with a laugh. "They're quite delicious, and I've never felt stronger."

"No. Not yet, at least," Mephistopheles answered. "This is the moment I have been preparing you for since the day we made our deal."

"You've really been planning this for so long?"

"I've been planning this for ages."

"So what must I do?" the vampire king asked. Mephistopheles turned to him, his face impassive. Dracula regarded his "mentor" (of sorts) with a raised eyebrow, then Mephisto's face nearly split with a wide, ear-to-ear grin.

"Just hold still. And try not to scream."

===

"We're nearly there," Michael announced. He could taste the salt-fields of Sodom and Gomorrah on the wind. The ground below shifted from yellow sands to sheets of shining white. Salt pillars rose from the ground, and pieces, like sand and glass, whipped in the desert wind. In the distance he could see the ruins of the twin cities; they had become abattoirs, filled with iniquity and sin. Now their purified remnants danced in the wind.

Then he heard a scream, loud and powerful, a voice he almost recognized. It ripped up through the white desert and severed the sky, tortuously agonized.

"Move!" Michael urged the Peacemakers onward.

Then, from the ground, it rose; heralded by a furious blackness. It pushed away the salt-sands with a single beat of its fiery, ethereal wings, and with a roar of "Breath of Wyvern!" the blackness sent its power surging into the Peacemakers.

"Not yet," Famine hissed as he stood before them. "Not while I hunger."

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Power ripped through the Peacemakers' ranks, scattering and felling them before Famine. Tiwaz was thrown to the ground, as were his passengers. Without a moment's beat, the dragon staggered back to his feet and loomed over the ascending Dynasmon X, breathing draconic fire through his teeth and nostrils.

"Think, Tiwaz. What's the best way to take this guy on? Raw elemental force with my current form? Or manoevrability with Tyr as VictoryGreymon. Damn it, there's only one of him and so many of us; AncientGreymon has too much splash damage. Right! The best of both worlds then!" he thought, his blue eyes burning light as he glowed and shrunk in size.

Tiwaz lunged from the flare in a burst of fire, his EmperorGreymon form ablaze as he jumped at Famine. "You guys aren't indestructible!" Tiwaz shouted, slashing down Famine's chest with his Dragon Soul Sword. "You'll meet the others soon; I'll see to that!"

"Feed me your power, worm," Famine hissed, sending Tiwaz staggering back with a powerful punch.

"Tiwaz!" Gunnar shouted from above, stopping his flight overhead and outstretching his wings. "Glorious Burst!" Fourteen blazing beams of light ripped from Gunnar's wings and burned in or around Famine's body.

The Horseman, annoyed but unfazed, turned his attentions up to the ShineGreymon. "Breath of Wyvern!" he rasped sending dark energy climbing up towards Gunnar.

"Crap!" Gunnar swore, flapping his wings forwards to swerve back so that only the top of his tail was singed.

"Dragon Fire Crossbow" Tiwaz growled, aiming his sword at the distracted Dynasmon X. He fired a massive bolt of flame from the tip of his sword only for Famine to deflect it with a powerful backhand. The EmperorGreymon's brow furrowed at the development. "This isn't going to be easy, but at least it's not impossible..."

He turned to the others. "Gunnar, Gigas, Duo and whoever else thinks they can handle him! Let's take this guy down and let the others worry about stopping Mephistopheles!"

-

Even before Tiwaz shouted the order, Kheprius was already flying past Famine and the others. The GrandisKuwagamon's eye was fixated on the two of the three digimon who were on the way to aid Famine. Nebiros and Sabnock.

"Those b*stards," he hissed, flying faster over the salt fields. His speedy black form against the sheet of white.

Pyra saw him break off from the group and fly past the first line of Mephistopheles' defence. She grit her teeth and flew after him, knowing he'd be on his own at this rate. "Kheprius!" she called out to him in annoyance. "Wait! Don't face them by yourself!"

"Shut up!" he barked, flying towards Nebiros with rage surging through his form.

The Paildramon swore and flew after him. "Imperial Evolution! Imperialdramon Dragon Mode!" she said, exploding forward in her powerful dragon form.

Nebiros flew forward in his Beetlemon form to meet Kheprius. Far behind him, Sabnock the MetalKabuterimon bent over and embedded his hands in a mound of salt, aiming his anterior cannon at the Peacemakers from afar.

"You still plan to fight us to the end?" Nebiros asked as he and Khep grew closer to each other.

"You're damn right I am!" he snapped, a little too vehemantly.

The Beetlemon narrowed his eyes and sped up, closing the gap between then. "Damn it, Khep! It's not too late! Stop thinking with your damn heart and start thinking with your head! I know you care about Terrak, but--"

"Shut. The hell. Up!" Kheprius yelled as he slide digivolved into GranKuwagamon right before hitting his former friend.

Nebiros let out an 'oomph' as the massive bug slammed into his gut and clamped his pincers around him. He suddenly felt Kheprius' jagged mandibles heat up as the deadly insect readied a Dimension Scissors attack.

"D-damn it... Idiot! Lightning Blitz!" he shouted. Nebiros grabbed Kheprius by the face and sent volts of electricity surging through him. Kheprius shouted in agony and released the struggling bug man. The Beetlemon kicked the underside of Kheprius' chin and then slammed his charged fist into the GranKuwagamon's nose. A final mighty punch sent Kheprius flying back into a column of salt.

"Bas... tard..." Kheprius hissed, pulling himself back in the air.

"Why are you doing this, Khep?" Nebiros asked coldly. "Is it because you can't bring yourself to fight Terrak if you switched sides?"

"Shut your damn mouth!" the ebony insect yelled. "It's your fault! You two ruined his life! He had something! It's because of your greed that everyone he cares about is dead! You're no better than the MetalTyrannomon!"

"Never say that!" Nebiros snapped, his body surging with static power.

"It's true!" Khep hissed. "It's because of you that now he's just like us! That's why... you have to die! Grand Darkness!"

"Kheprius!" Pyra shouted from above, watching as he unleashed a torrent of antimatter over Nebiros. The Imperialdramon Dragon Mode swooped down to try and help him, but a massive beam crossed her path, forcing her to stop lest she be hit by it.

"I don't think so, sweetheart!" Sabnock called over from atop his salt dune, his horn cannon trained on Pyra.

Pyra grit her teeth and angled herself forwards. "I don't have time for you. Positron Laser!" A spiralling blast of gleaming energy ripped from her dorsal cannon towards Sabnock.

He grinned and his treads went quick into action, sending a wave of salt behind him as he sped down the dune and out of the line of fire. The mound of salt exploded in a massive blast. Pyra couldn't help but wince as the granules touched upon healing wounds, burning them slightly.

She looked down at the ground into the maelstrom of salt kicked up by her attack. It concealed Sabnocks position. Until...

"Bolo Thunder!"

Twin orbs of connected electricity swept through the cloud of falling salt particles and slammed into the dragon. Pyra let out a cry of pain as the lightning caused her wing muscles to constrict, forcing her to drop out of the sky.

"Pyra!" Kheprius shouted before crying out when one of Nebiros attacks connected and sent him flying back. The insect swore and slide digivolved back into his GrandisKuwagamon form. He lashed his Gran Killers out and seethed at the two of them.

Sabnock laughed, emerging through the salt upon hearing Khep's shout. "Aw, sorry, Kheppy! Was that your girlfriend? Ruki would be sad to hear that," he chuckled. The MetalKabuterimon bent over and readied his large cannon, the screen on his back flipping upwards as he did. Appearing on the aiming system's screen was Pyra's body, who was struggling to shake off the electricity and stand to her feet. "Well don't worry, Khep. I'll make sure to give this 'Pyra' a quick death for you."

"Damn you! You die first!" Kheprius roared, breaking away from Nebiros and flying towards Sabnock in a fury.

"Hahah! Too late!" Sabnock laughed. "Electron Cannon!"

Just as the cannon fired, another voice sounded out in placid rage. "Mach Stinger Victory!"

Sabnock was rocked by a blast of power the exploded upon impact with his side. He yelled as his body was blasted to the side and his cannon blast strayed wildly from its intended target, instead ripping across the white field erratically.

"Damnit! Who the hell is it?!" Sabnock demanded as he tried to right himself back onto his treads. With one arm, he propped himself up and with the other, he randomly blasted bolts of electricity in the direction he was attacked from.

"You know exactly who it is, Sabnock," a voice spoke hatefully.

When the MetalKabuterimon was finally upright, he reversed his treads, spun around and aimed his arm cannons.

Barachiel gracefully landed in front of him, his humming Royal Meisters crossed in front of his chest and his head bowed.

"Well, well, well! You again!" Sabnock said with a psychotic grin. "Saint Crybaby! Or was it Barachiel? Or maybe it's Terrak...? Terrak Aeolus. Yeah... That sounds about right, doesn't it?"

Barachiel slowly raised his head, his blood red, insectian eyes burning with inner pain and anger. "Sabnock..." the TigerVespamon spoke, his voice eerily serene. "I don't care who you are. I only care about what you have done. And now you will pay for your sins with your life."

Sabnock cackled as his cannons surged with electricity. "You think you can beat me, choir boy?! You don't have a prayer in the world!"

"Neither do you," Barachiel whispered as he charged.

Last edited: