• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Digimon discussion - Digimon Ghost Game now available on Crunchyroll

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
4xANNJZlKL2mFaM3ceJGQ24LxgYO541a8zED0p5gu0G5h1-Bt1K-RJlEl-ViZ7eikFRQt5owMIKaHWZvkRCN7A

So this is how the main character (Digidestined) designs are overall going to be like in the upcoming 20th anniversary movie of Adventure.

I just have to say that though this art style bears more resemblance to the original designs of the Digidestined overall, I really hate Tai and Mimi's character designs here and think that they were just way better in Tri. :/

Last edited:

M.P.

Retired
4xANNJZlKL2mFaM3ceJGQ24LxgYO541a8zED0p5gu0G5h1-Bt1K-RJlEl-ViZ7eikFRQt5owMIKaHWZvkRCN7A

So this is how the main character (Digidestined) designs are overall going to be like in the upcoming 20th anniversary movie of Adventure.

I just have to say that though this art style bears more resemblance to the original designs of the Digidestined overall, I really hate Tai and Mimi's character designs here and think that they were just way better in Tri. :/

The designs look okay to me. I like that the art style is closer to the original.

Still keeping low expectations for the film, after how Tri. turned out. Though there's no sign of Meiko yet, which is a good thing imo.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
The designs look okay to me. I like that the art style is closer to the original.

Still keeping low expectations for the film, after how Tri. turned out. Though there's no sign of Meiko yet, which is a good thing imo.
The art style does bear more resemblance to the original artstyle, and certain Digidestined like Kari, Sora, Joe, etc. look quite good in this design, but....certain ones like Tai and Mimi's are really underwhelming. Especially Tai's case would really bug me because he is the main face and the leader of the Digidestined, and one of my most favourite characters in the show. Like they totally changed his hair colour LMAO.

Well for me, Tri was pretty good, with the 3rd movie especially really being superb. Sure, the quality dropped from the 4th movie onwards, with certain things being ridiculous and underwhelming in the 4th and 5th movies, but then again I believe that Our Future is really underrated and deserves more love, it contained some really intense and epic action (look at Nishijima, we finally got to see something like a character brutally bleeding in the Digimon anime for the first time, like some traditional anime) and the emotional weight behind Meicoomon's death was something else and really had me cracking. :)

Last edited:

M.P.

Retired
The art style does bear more resemblance to the original artstyle, and certain Digidestined like Kari, Sora, Joe, etc. look quite good in this design, but....certain ones like Tai and Mimi's are really underwhelming. Especially Tai's case would really bug me because he is the main face and the leader of the Digidestined, and one of my most favourite characters in the show. Like they totally changed his hair colour LMAO.

Yeah, I agree that Tai and Mimi's Tri designs are better, though I don't find their new designs terrible either.

Well for me, Tri was pretty good, with the 3rd movie especially really being superb. Sure, the quality dropped from the 4th movie onwards, which certain things being ridiculous and underwhelming in the 4th and 5th movies, but then again I believe that Our Future is really underrated and deserves more love, it contained some really intense and epic action (look at Nishijima, we finally got to see something like a character brutally bleeding in the Digimon anime for the first time, like some traditional anime) and the emotional weight behind Meicoomon's death was something else and really had me cracking. :)

Being honest, I never actually watched the last movie. I spoiled myself its entire plot before I had a chance to watch the film, didn't find it very good and ultimately decided not to bother. Though I have to give the writers credit for actually killing off Meicoomon, I honestly didn't expect them to go through with it.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
T.K's fashion is still dreadful lmao, but Kari's cute. I'm actually happy my head-canon of Kari dressing up stylish is a thing (even if it's typical of a Japanese teenager to do so, but given Kari's 02 clothes lol).

But I'm still not looking forward to this. Tri was exhausting and ended on a sour note for me even after sitting on it for these last several months, and learning of Kakudou leaving this project just doesn't bode well with me. I'm still going to end up watching it because I can't help myself as a Digimon fan (especially with the designs looking better than Tri's like goddammit Toei), but I have no high hopes for it.

I just really sympathize so much with Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya fans at this point for having to deal with Toei's bullshit.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Yeah, I agree that Tai and Mimi's Tri designs are better, though I don't find their new designs terrible either.
Well what really bugs about Tai's design is that they had to change his hair colour to something of more darker shade, which looks quite odd, Like what? Tai's hair colour has always been a lighter shade of chocolate brown since the 1st series, it's something we are just basically used to seeing him with that, it suits him well. It's especially Tai's hair which has been always a really notable aspect of his appearance and is pretty iconic in terms of appearance too. The fact that they had to mess with Tai's hair colour of all things in this new design is what really annoys me here.

Also, the sharpness in his looks is also a bit lacking here IMO, compared to his previous designs, as the main face and the leader of the Digidestined, that sharpness factor in Tai's looks/appearance is something I feel which is quite important, as it adds somewhat of an extra appeal.

And regarding Mimi...oh well, character wise Mimi has always been pretty much least favourite Digidestined among the Adventure Digidestined, I always tend to find her whiny, attention seeking and complaining personality really annoying, so the only ways she actually really appeals to me firstly her Digimon's Digivolution/fighting moments, and looks wise, she has always been one of (if not the most) cutest/prettiest among the Digidestined, especially in Tri, where she looked really stylish, fashionable and sleek, which had an extra appeal to me appearance wise. But in her new design here, that fashionable and stylish aspect of her appearance which she had a lot in Tri seems to be vanished mostly, which actually I find quite underwhelming here.

Being honest, I never actually watched the last movie. I spoiled myself its entire plot before I had a chance to watch the film, didn't find it very good and ultimately decided not to bother. Though I have to give the writers credit for actually killing off Meicoomon, I honestly didn't expect them to go through with it.

I see. :) Well I'll say that you could maybe give the last movie a try, I personally thought that it was quite good for a climax/finale of a movie series, consisting of some really intense and epic action intermingled well with highly emotional moments as well. Apart from being intense, the action scenes/fights were quite superbly animated too, with Omnimon Merciful Mode's appearance being really prolific and narratively fitting for its moment; also the moment when Kari says to Tai that if he took the desicion to destroy/kill Meicoomon, she'd never forgive him personally, but if he took the decision adamantly amd firmly for the sake of the protecting the world, she'd do everything she can to help him in the cause, just subtly adds to the emotionally and morally intriguing factor in that whole final fight. In addition to all this, another thing which I found quite intriguing in this movie as the final climax is that how it took an took a more darker and serious approach overall compared to what we see usually in the Digimon anime, we saw someone like Nishijima brutally bleeding to death, something which we used to see in more traditional anime shows + that it took the desicion to kill Meicoomon in the end, which was a departure from the usual cliche happy endings we are mostly used to having in a show like this, that all the main characters are supposed to survive and live in the end, it gives a really subtle bittersweet touch overall to the ending which lives you at the same time slightly melancholic and yet hopeful. :)

Last edited:

M.P.

Retired
I see. :) Well I'll say that you could maybe give the last movie a try, I personally thought that it was quite good for a climax/finale of a movie series, consisting of some really intense and epic action intermingled well with highly emotional moments as well. Apart from being intense, the action scenes/fights were quite superbly animated too, with Omnimon Merciful Mode's appearance being really prolific and narratively fitting for its moment; also the moment when Kari says to Tai that if he took the desicion to destroy/kill Meicoomon, she'd never forgive him personally, but if he took the decision adamantly amd firmly for the sake of the protecting the world, she'd do everything she can to help him in the cause, just subtly adds to the emotionally and morally intriguing factor in that whole final fight. In addition to all this, another thing which I found quite intriguing in this movie as the final climax is that how it took an took a more darker and serious approach overall compared to what we see usually in the Digimon anime, we saw someone like Nishijima brutally bleeding to death, something which we used to see in more traditional anime shows + that it took the desicion too kill Meicoomon in the end, which was a departure from the usual cliche happy endings we are mostly used to having in a show like this, that all the main characters are supposed to survive and live in the end, it gives a really subtle bittersweet touch overall to the ending which lives you at the same slightly melancholic and yet hopeful. :)

Yeah, maybe I indeed should give it try. I have few weeks off school, so I might watch it at some point if I have nothing better to do.

I agree, it's good they decided not to go with the cliche happy ending, I was honestly expecting the writers to include some sort of deus-ex-machina to keep Meicoomon alive.

I'm glad that the 20th anniversary film is (apparently) just one film. I reckon Tri being split into multiple parts was one of the major reasons it had so many problems (too many plotlines, lot of filler such as Meiko's "I'm useless" angst, useless plot twists like Tai's "death").

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
When you got the director of School Days to direct your six-part film series as well as the woman behind the Stitch anime composing the scripts, you were clearly signing up for a bumpy ride.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
We're nearing the end of an era, folks :(. This is just as devastating as Yuuko Mizutani and Kouji Wada's deaths, though Toshiko was older than the two of them, I just thought she'd live a little longer. She still shouldn't have had gone that way.

I'm more familiar with her singing (through the character songs, in particular) than her voice-acting as I was first introduced to the songs in high school, but she had a wonderful soulful performance that's infectious. I have a holy trinity of the character songs that mean much to me: "Holy Light", "Ashita wa Motto", and "Yuuki wo Tsubasa ni Shite".

Fuck you, cancer. Stop taking away our Digimon cast.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
We're nearing the end of an era, folks :(. This is just as devastating as Yuuko Mizutani and Kouji Wada's deaths, though Toshiko was older than the two of them, I just thought she'd live a little longer. She still shouldn't have had gone that way.

I'm more familiar with her singing (through the character songs, in particular) than her voice-acting as I was first introduced to the songs in high school, but she had a wonderful soulful performance that's infectious. I have a holy trinity of the character songs that mean much to me: "Holy Light", "Ashita wa Motto", and "Yuuki wo Tsubasa ni Shite".

Fuck you, cancer. Stop taking away our Digimon cast.
TBH Kouji Wada's death news was the one which hit me really hard when it came out. Though I never really cared for the Japanese version that much, the Japanese OP and the two Endings of the first series are just....something else and they are just bound to fill literally every Digimon anime fan fully with nostalgia and feels. Literally no Japanese/English OP of the Digimon anime has ever topped Butterfly~ nor will it ever in my book. T_T

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
adventure20thkeyimage_march5_2019.png
Goddamn it Toei, stop trying to make me cry whenever I get tired of your shit.

Nothing too substantial, but we do at least know the Tri cast is reprising their roles.

I'd have been surprised if they didn't, to be honest.

But I dunno, I feel like this is going to be the last time we hear all eight of the original Digimon's voice actors together. Toei may decide they'll want to milk Adventure for the rest of Digimon's life, but as it stands now as a 20th anniversary project, I think this is it. Maybe the Digimon have understudies in the off-chance a voice actor dies, but I don't think they've thought that'd be needed for Digimon unlike for One Piece and Dragon Ball.