1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Digimon discussion - Digimon Adventure tri. now available on Crunchyroll

Discussion in 'Alternate Animé & Manga Discussion' started by FeminineCuttlefish, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Victorian Rush

Victorian Rush Rising Star

I’m glad I’m not the only person who thinks Matt becoming an astronaut is extremely weird. Most of season two, he was a musician. They even seem to have a relatively big following and he decides to give up his band to become an astronaut? Like what? That made no sense.

Meanwhile, they stuck to Davis’s dream of opening his own noodle cart? That is weird.

2. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja XY/XY(Z): GOAT saga in the Pokemon anime

Nothing feels more weird than Ken's all-of-a-sudden 180% change from a malicious Emperor to a caring, humble and kind guy. No matter whatever reasons they gave for it regarding that matter, it felt a bit too hard to digest and forced. Gatomon's change was still believable as she wasn't shown as evil and malicious for as long time as Ken was.

3. diakyu

diakyu Well-Known Member

Ken's arc in 02 was coming to find ways to redeem himself for how much of a jerk he was. His whiplash in character really works well for that imo. Really it's the only good thing 02 has going storywise beyond the traveling to see the other digidestined around the globe imo.

4. UltimateNinja

UltimateNinja Master of Ninjutsu

The whole epilogue of 02 was an absolute mess and reflects the problems of not only 02 but also Adventures.

Nah I absolutely disagree. His character change was the result of his conflict with the whole "Digimon are not real" mentality he had during his time as the Digimon Emperor and learning about the truth about the Digimon and that they feel also feel pain, anxiety etc. Wormmon "dying" shortly after that was the icing on the cake and the trigger to his change. And of course his shy, humble attitude towards Daisuke and the gang was also because of his regret of his past actions. Ken probably is one of the only characters in Adventures and 02 that had a fully fleshed out character conflict and the most amount of development.

5. 345ash-greninja

Overall it seemed pretty much well-fleshed out considering all the aspects that caused him to be actually that malicious and cruel, like the dark spore thing, his backstory and not knowing that Digimon were actually real, Wormmon's death, etc. and the way he gradually started helping the digidestined after that thanks mostly to Daisuke Davis who seem to believe that he had a good heart inside and was actually meant to be a part of their team. But anyway, the change should have been more gradual and spanned out IMO, lasting for about 7-8 episodes at least. His change went from malicious, cruel to humble, caring and shy a bit too suddenly I think, within about just 2-3 episodes if I'm not mistaken, he seemed to be a totally changed person, who was pretty much always willing to help the Digidestined whenever they were in danger.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 7:10 AM
  6. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie 桜咲くこの坂を 今も上っている

I agree his character redemption arc should've been a little longer, but if I remember right, he was still beating himself up even after joining the group, and it wasn't until Jogressing DNA Digivolution was introduced that he was able to open himself up more. That still took several episodes until then.

'Course, I never still could understand why or how it is Gatomon's Holy Ring was the key to unlocking DNA Digivolution. I honestly wish we got a proper explanation as to what the purpose/role of the Holy Rings are, since only a handful of Digimon actually have one.

7. Victorian Rush

Victorian Rush Rising Star

I personally wish that Ken’s redemption arc lasted a little while lomger and maybe that he had to prove that he has changed to the other digidestined before he joined the team. Cody was very hesitant to trust Ken and everything he did, I don’t blame Cody at all.
    I never understood that myseld either. They should have explained it more. I do like seasom 2 but that was one of the things wrong with it, if you ask me.

8. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned about what in blazes the Dark Ocean is. Is it some kind of Phantom Zone because the likes of Daemon was forced into it? Is it some kind of Digi-Hell because Devimon is there? How does Dagomon come into play with it?

9. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

It's basically a different dimension that exists in-between other dimensions. Digimon multiverse effectively works like a bunch of onions connected to a kernel event. In this case, Dark Ocean is part of an area called World of Darkness, which might include Adventure's world's equivalent of Dark Area(aka, Dark Web), but is more of an inversion of the pocket dimension that converts dreams into data. In this case, it converts negative emotions into data, and presumably because it amplifies negative emotions and can manifest a hole in real world, it might also convert data(and of course humans converted into data) back into dreams and emotions, serving as Digital World's output, effectively.

10. 345ash-greninja

It's pretty much hard to believe how much Angemon was nerfed in 02 compared to the first series TBH. In the first series Angemon was able to defeat Devimon (though via self-destruction), outperform most Ultimates, inflicting significant damage on Myotismon which every other Ultimates of the Digidestined (apart from Angewomon) failed to do, fought well for a while against Piedmon too, while in 02 Angemon appears to be much weaker, getting overwhelmed by most Ultimates, like getting easily overwhelmed against Okuyamon, even so during a scuttle with Arukenimon and Mummymon. Classic inconsistent display of power levels keeping the continuity of the first series in mind.

11. UltimateNinja

UltimateNinja Master of Ninjutsu

Too bad they dropped the Dark Ocean subplot only because someone from the writer staff (probably) found it to be too dark for the young audience. Especially since Hikari really needed that screentime.

12. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Above and beyond. [I]The[/I] DP critic

Didn't it just exist because one of the writers was a huge Lovecraft fan? Not like it's the only plot Adventure 02 dropped.

I never thought it that weird. Who wouldn't want to be an astronaut?

13. 345ash-greninja

Better question would be that why would someone like Matt out-of-nowhere decide to become an astronaut when it was clearly shown in several episodes of 02 that he was trying to become a rockstar/musician/singer? And wasn't he and his band doing fairly well in this aspect too?

14. Kutie Pie

That's the age-old question Tri answered by having Sora mention to Matt and T.K. Tai put in the application to go study overseas, and Matt looks to the skies and mutters, "Guess I'll become an astronaut." Because apparently the two boys are having a dick-measuring contest to see who could have the best career as an adult.

[​IMG]

345ash-greninja likes this.
  15. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical Optimist

Do you mean Tai was going to go over seas but Matt got it instead and became the Astronaut to beat Tai!?!?!? This is new to me and makes it worse if I'm getting it right

16. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen Well-Known Member

Look, another item to add to my hate list for Tri. I've never seen a dumber reason for this to be a thing.

17. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Who actually has a "hate list" for a series of animated movies? Seems excessive.

18. Kutie Pie

To be fair, it's because Daigo said "build the future" and Tai was thinking about his suggestion from "Reunion" to begin with. But I'm pretty sure Matt just decided on the spot "I'll go to space" because it wasn't mentioned anywhere else prior to that scene.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So either way, I'm just convinced Matt did this to one-up Tai.

19. uber gon

uber gon Accept Change

To be fair, Matt probably wanted to attempt interstellar communication with aliens. Pretty sure seeing Vademon would have appealed to the kids’ seeing real aliens.

20. lolipiece

lolipiece Ain't that the tooth Staff Member Moderator

I feel like seeing something like Vademon would make them want to stay far away from aliens. Guy's a bit of a creep.

Kutie Pie and lemoncatpower like this.