• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Digimon discussion - Digimon Ghost Game now available on Crunchyroll

Akashin

I still don't see how a triangle means 02 is being retconned :rolleyes: that's not proof at all.

A triangle does have three sides, after all.

I'm still going to refer to it as 03, until they say 02 is being retconned so until then it's just speculation.

Tri can still be a sequel focusing on the original 8, while still honouring 02 like please it can happen.

...And now you can show me where I said that it means that. I said the triangles mean that they're more than likely what Tri is referring to; I said absolutely nothing about 02 being retconned (I neither see it being retconned or want it to be).

Like I said in the post you didn't quote, there's nothing so far to suggest that 02 is being retconned.

Crimson Red

...And now you can show me where I said that it means that. I said the triangles mean that they're more than likely what Tri is referring to; I said absolutely nothing about 02 being retconned (I neither see it being retconned or want it to be).

Like I said in the post you didn't quote, there's nothing so far to suggest that 02 is being retconned.

Uh in the first post you quoted of mine I asked for proof of a 02 retcon and you replied with a picture of a triangle. So yeah.

Akashin

Uh in the first post you quoted of mine I asked for proof of a 02 retcon and you replied with a picture of a triangle. So yeah.

No, you asked for proof that Tri is likely to refer to triangle as opposed to 03 (I personally feel it's both). And that's what I provided.

Unless I misunderstood your first post; either way, that's what I meant.

Crimson Red

No, you asked for proof that Tri is likely to refer to triangle as opposed to 03 (I personally feel it's both). And that's what I provided.

Unless I misunderstood your first post; either way, that's what I meant.
No, I said Triangle can't have more then one meaning? With sarcastic eyes. Meaning where does it say that Triangle means 02 is retconned.

So we both misunderstood, my bad on my part

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I agree with Griff, 02 really shouldn't get retconned that honor should only belong to Young Hunters. For all of its problems, it still had its characters and good ideas that can be used and developed in this new series. So there's more to gain in keeping them around then shoving them aside and pretending they never happened, particularly since they are still a part of the Adventure universe.

I can't say I know what they will do, but I have a clue what the simplest course of action would be.

They don't have to address the epilogue of the second season at all. This upcoming season is set only a few years after the portion of time covered by the main events of the second season. Unless I am mistaken, the epilogue didn't indicate that the whole world had Digimon partners immediately.

Though that may not be a workable way to deal with the most contentious elements of the epilogue, the relationships it showed or didn't. High school could easily be the starting point of relationships, hence they might not think it out of place to include that.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Regarding 02, pretty much the only thing needs to be retconned, is the ENDING.

Everything else can stay. Heck I actually love the Armor Evolution concept, especially when it is revealed that they can mix and match, resulting in things like Prairiemon, Maildramon, Lynxmon, Gargoylemon, Sagitarimon, Quetzalmon, Shadramon, Harpymon, Rinkmon, Kenkimon, Pteramon, Baronmon, and others.

Akashin

Regarding 02, pretty much the only thing needs to be retconned, is the ENDING.

Everything else can stay. Heck I actually love the Armor Evolution concept, especially when it is revealed that they can mix and match, resulting in things like Prairiemon, Maildramon, Lynxmon, Gargoylemon, Sagitarimon, Quetzalmon, Shadramon, Harpymon, Rinkmon, Kenkimon, Pteramon, Baronmon, and others.

My sole issue with Armor Evolution was that it ended up just being a temporary solution to be scrapped in favor of standard Evolution and Jogress later. I would have been much happier if 02 had just stuck with Armor Evolution (I remember when I was younger suspecting that the kids would use both of their Digimentals at once to get to the Perfect level, or something).

I used to have Digimon on a VHS cassette.
That was a great show, I had a Digimon shirt when I was a kid and I saw the movie where some Digimon takes over the internet hahahah :U

Haunter ゴースト

I loved Digimon Adventure 02, yeah the ending had it's bad points but it concluded things in a way where you felt you had come to the end of an era/story. I'd be fine with the ending being retconned, but not the whole series, it was great - armor evolution, the characters and simply the story really.

NeoDude-5000

I loved Digimon Adventure 02, yeah the ending had it's bad points but it concluded things in a way where you felt you had come to the end of an era/story. I'd be fine with the ending being retconned, but not the whole series, it was great - armor evolution, the characters and simply the story really.

Same here! I'm actually rewatching the series at the moment to prepare for Adventure tri., and yes I have watched the first series already

EDIT (9/1/15): 2 new Digi-eggs are now on the official website! Wonder what they contain and whose egg is it?

Last edited:

Born Better

God of Lightning
Is an official site image depicting three inverted triangles proof enough for you?

Granted the reference to three is still obvious, but it meaning triangle is pretty clear.

Three triangles. Triangles have three sides...HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!

So you know how in a lot of shonen the main/lead/whatever character and the rival are the one that get all the fancy powerups and junk while everyone else including the other just as important characters get jack *censored* and are made to look like a bunch of chumps? Frontier is by far the worst out of all the Digimon series. Adventure 01 is second with Tai and Matt being the only ones to get Megas while everyone else was stuck at Ultimate. 02 wasn't too bad, but still worth mentioning how they got Imperialdramon and his other forms. Can't comment on Fusion or Young Hunters as I haven't seen enough. Tamers and Data Squad are the only series(that I've seen) where everyone gets treated equal.

I feel like this discussion's already happened before, but I don't want to search through 160+ pages for it.

Akashin

Three triangles. Triangles have three sides...HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!

So you know how in a lot of shonen the main/lead/whatever character and the rival are the one that get all the fancy powerups and junk while everyone else including the other just as important characters get jack *censored* and are made to look like a bunch of chumps? Frontier is by far the worst out of all the Digimon series. Adventure 01 is second with Tai and Matt being the only ones to get Megas while everyone else was stuck at Ultimate. 02 wasn't too bad, but still worth mentioning how they got Imperialdramon and his other forms. Can't comment on Fusion or Young Hunters as I haven't seen enough. Tamers and Data Squad are the only series(that I've seen) where everyone gets treated equal.

I feel like this discussion's already happened before, but I don't want to search through 160+ pages for it.

To be fair Tamers and Savers had Dukemon Crimson Mode and Agumon Burst Mode, respectively, but they still give mostly equal treatment. Fusion followed the Adventure formula with only Taiki and Kiriha getting Super Evolution (though Yuu did have Tuwarmon, who would go on to be a Super Evolution in Hunters), and while in Hunters everybody and their mother (except Nene still didn't, because screw Nene I guess) had Super Evolution, Tagiru was the only one to get any other upgrade.

Unsurprisingly, Tamers and Savers are my favourite seasons. And if Tri is giving all the kids their Ultimate Digimon, I'm hopeful it will go down the same route.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Having the leader get one extra power up (or whatever Agumon Burst Mode could be called) doesn't really mean much, since it's to be expected. And they usually don't come until the show is nearing the end.

It's only a problem if they get multiple, which leaves everyone severely lagging behind.

Akashin

Having the leader get one extra power up (or whatever Agumon Burst Mode could be called) doesn't really mean much, since it's to be expected. And they usually don't come until the show is nearing the end.

It's only a problem if they get multiple, which leaves everyone severely lagging behind.

I was somewhat hesitant to call Agumon Burst Mode a power-up myself, though there's not really anything better to call it.

As for where the problem lies, I'd say it's less a problem of how many power-ups they get (though that was without a doubt Frontier's main problem) and more a matter of when. Taichi and Yamato only got one over the rest of the kids (Omegamon notwithstanding, as I'd say that falls under the final hour leader power-up you mentioned, and was a movie thing to boot), but my problem was that there was ample time for the other kids to follow suit, and they didn't.

I get what you're saying, but the first season of Digimon even took the additional step of providing an in-universe explanation for why only Tai and Matt had Digimon that could Digivolve that far. All in all, I'd have to say that a one-level difference is good compared to some other seasons. Especially since the third season had a relatively smaller cast of main characters (though then there's MarineAngemon's barely relevant Mega-level status, and the fact that Beelzemon was almost known for his general independence from his two Tamers, LOL).

For this next season, I wouldn't say complete equality is guaranteed. After all, Omnimon could make an appearance, and they might even decide to include some of these other variants of Mega-level Greymon and Garurumon (in addition to WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon). Still, to include either or both of these things will likely be less of an imbalance than a whole level difference. It definitely looks like a step in the right direction!

Balance is one of the things I consider to be a significant factor (though obviously not the only factor) in how much I like a season of Digimon. In that respect, I'd say the first season was good, the second season seemed a bit less good, the third was in some ways better and in some ways worse than the first, the fourth was the worst and Data Squad was the best by a decent margin. I haven't watched any of Digimon Fusion, but from what I remember reading in this thread, there seemed to be a rather huge focus on one Digimon and all his forms, so it might be in the running for "least balance."

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
I love the equality in Savers. All main cast members have Burst Modes (ShineGreymon, MirageGaogamon, Rosemon and Ravemon + Suguru's BanchoLeomon) while minor characters get to evolve their digimon to at least perfect level (Garudamon, RookChessmon, BishopChessmon and Shawujinmon) and even Satsuma's Kudamon evolved all the way into Royal Knight Sleipmon.

I really wish Tamers had this issue fixed with Hirokazu's Guardromon (which should have evolved at least into Andromon once again after it's debut) although Shaochung's Lopmon potential evolution into Cherubimon would've been weird to see.

In 02 Miyako & Daisuke would have slayed with Valkyrimon and Ulforce V-Dramon respectively, smh.

Akashin

I get what you're saying, but the first season of Digimon even took the additional step of providing an in-universe explanation for why only Tai and Matt had Digimon that could Digivolve that far. All in all, I'd have to say that a one-level difference is good compared to some other seasons. Especially since the third season had a relatively smaller cast of main characters (though then there's MarineAngemon's barely relevant Mega-level status, and the fact that Beelzemon was almost known for his general independence from his two Tamers, LOL).

For this next season, I wouldn't say complete equality is guaranteed. After all, Omnimon could make an appearance, and they might even decide to include some of these other variants of Mega-level Greymon and Garurumon (in addition to WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon). Still, to include either or both of these things will likely be less of an imbalance than a whole level difference. It definitely looks like a step in the right direction!

Balance is one of the things I consider to be a significant factor (though obviously not the only factor) in how much I like a season of Digimon. In that respect, I'd say the first season was good, the second season seemed a bit less good, the third was in some ways better and in some ways worse than the first, the fourth was the worst and Data Squad was the best by a decent margin. I haven't watched any of Digimon Fusion, but from what I remember reading in this thread, there seemed to be a rather huge focus on one Digimon and all his forms, so it might be in the running for "least balance."

I totally forgot all about the reasoning behind WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon, so I'll give you that one. Still not happy about it, but you're right, there was proper reasoning given. Ultimately Adventure was really good with the cast in general despite that, which is what matters to me more than anything. Tamers I give a pass (though I definitely get what you're saying) simply because I never fully felt like the fringe kids that joined the Digital World crew were full time members of the gang to me, and the full timers were treated completely evenly.

Saying there was a 'rather large' focus on Shoutmon in Xros Wars is understating it, and it is in some ways worse than even Frontier. While Kiriha did also get Super Evolution, ZeekGreymon inevitably went on to be part of the next Shoutmon upgrade along with just about every other notable member of the cast. Honestly, I give Xros Wars a pass on a lot of things I really shouldn't simply because I absolutely loved the cast.