• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Digimon discussion - Digimon Ghost Game now available on Crunchyroll

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I won't lie, Luminamon Nene ver. is probably the only Reference update I flat out dislike. The Nene arc of the manga was really creepy and while the concept art is a little better, it doesn't save the design or the storyline in any way. I honestly would've preferred seeing some of the other Digimon from the manga like Shortmon before seeing this one.

Shoutmon X7 Superior Mode on the other hand is fine, it's always good to see underused Digimon get in there and it's no different.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Well, since the reboot's finished, anyone have any final thoughts on it? I just couldn't get past the third episode, Koushirou was that goddamn annoying about how super-smart and know-it-all he is about the Digital World despite having never seen it (let alone stepped foot in it) before. That was in the first three episodes, and I couldn't believe it had anything other than stereotypical archetype characters involved, and I couldn't believe those episodes were getting me to hate a character I actually adore. Reboot, AU, retelling, what have you, that is not Koushirou, that's a skinwalker pretending to be human. (Calling the reboot's character an alien is a disservice to Izzy's belief in aliens.)

I wanted to give my thoughts on the start of my attempted journey with this show back when I had first started it in January, but I was left speechless and irritated that I just had to sit on it. And I haven't gotten back into it. And according to a (lengthy) review I read, I probably shouldn't bother because it doesn't get better in terms of characters developing. Koushirou never changes. None of them change because they're already super special superheroes, why should they change? Millenniumon apparently not being the final big bad (how???) is what made me throw my hands up and go "Yeah, no" and not attempt to slog through it. It was also too flashy and bombastic, like it was trying waaaaaaay too hard to be a shounen while pretending it was "Our War Game".

Then I noticed this:
b6a696fbba48fc1deb79016750a936672508b8c9.png

Uhhhh what do you mean there's only eight main characters? What do you mean Koushirou, Mimi, Joe, Sora, Biyomon, Tentomon, Gomamon, and Palmon aren't main characters? You serious? Why are the siblings and their Digimon more important than the entirety of the DigiDestined? I love those characters, too, but I love all of those characters. Maybe not equally, but not to the extent where I think they're not playing key roles in the story.

So I guess the new Digimon fell into the same problems modern shounen shows have.

Least we still have the original. Been rewatching it, actually, mainly because I want to make sure the DVDs all work fine (had an issue with my first completely new copy of the 02 DVD set having scratched discs and so I'm paranoid not all of the four season DVDs may have working discs lol), but also I've just been bored. Nostalgia talking or not, it's still so entertaining. Characters grow and have human interactions with each other that's not just snark and exposition, they learn as they go along together. They were worried sick about their families frantically looking for them back home, they pined for TV and fast food and just the hustle-and-bustle of city life, and in their frustrations, they would have scuffles. And they weren't worried at all about having to save the Digital World at first, they just wanted to go back home and pretend it was just a bad dream later, but begrudgingly accepted their fate as the DigiDestined over time once it hit them everything was actually real. They were kids first, and heroes second.

But the reboot completely forgot that within the first three episodes, probably within the first episode if I remember right.

Ghost Game at least isn't another Adventure, but I have that unsinkable feeling the same problems plaguing modern entertainment will still be prevalent in it--but hopefully it's more original in its presentation. I think I'll also end up laughing if the ratings for it aren't as good as the previous seasons, then cry because it just means Toei and Bandai will continue to milk Adventure despite them trying to get the adults to stop buying Adventure merchandise and such.

BCVM22

Two great remixes of Break the Chain between last week and this week. That’s the good stuff. Some probably unable to hear the music over the sound of their own voices but that can’t be helped.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Tanimoto Takayoshi is a great singer. Wish he got a better show (I don't watch outside a few tidbits but reading everyone's remarks are enough to figure out it's not for me)

Hearing all those horror stories about Colon made me regret ever wishing Tomioka to be the main writer of one season. Granted, he got the short end of the deal - a season to pander nostalgia and ruminate the adventure cast for the Nth time - but still dissapointed seeing the writer in charge of some of Pokémon's best series deliver subpar work. The work doesn't even seem on par with what he did on Danball Senki W (checking it on Bandai Spirits' channel. Funny there's a character who is voiced by Ryoko Shiraishi there as well) which also had him as the main writer. And when the show about children's duel dolls does stuff better than digital monsters then something's really off lol

So... Good riddance, Colon. You won't be missed.

And welcome, Ghost Game. May you have the greatness you deserve!

NeoDude-5000

So that's it. That was the end of Digimon Adventure:. I got to say this has been one of the best Digimon anime series in very long time. Was it better than the original? No, it was a bit hit-and-miss in the middle part of the show. Is it among the better shows of the franchise? Yes.

(Really corny speech alert)
Considering that this came out during uncertain times I have to say this. Watching this show took me back to the Saturday mornings watching the original Digimon Adventure. While watching Tai and Agumon save the Digital World it made me feel like we were on a adventure in the Digital World too despite where we really were. This show, and I'm probably not the only one who thinks this, made me into a kid again. For 22 minutes 1 day a week screw covid, screw adulthood, I am a kid again.
(Corny speech over)

So in closing here are some words of advice. Tell your friends who watched the original to check this version out. If you're a parent or uncle or auntie and liked the original make your kids or nephews and nieces watch it when the dub comes out. When it does that is.

Final score for me: 8/10

And one last thing to mention before I say farewell to Tai and company until the 02 movie.
Leomon didn't die this time!

See ya later for Ghost Game. And please be among the non-Adventure shows that's actually great like how Tamers was.

Last edited:

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

NeoDude-5000

Ghost Game stuff time now and good news. It will be simulcasted in Crunchyroll. We also have the artists behind the opening and ending for this series. The opening will be performed be Wienners and the song will be call Faction, and the ending will be performed Aiiro Apollo and is called Pedal. And lastly Naoto Takenaka (Shiki from One Piece, and known to Pokemon fans as Entei in Spell of the Unown) will be this series' narrator, called the Ghost Navigator.

Links:
Ghost Game on Crunchyroll: https://withthewill.net/threads/digimon-ghost-game-simulcast-on-crunchyroll.26352/
Opening and Ending: https://withthewill.net/threads/gho...iiro-apollo-release-info-band-comments.26362/
Entei the Ghost Navigator: https://withthewill.net/threads/gho...ost-navigator-played-by-naoto-takenaka.26361/

UPDATE:
Even bigger news now. Gammamon's digivolutions, well his Champion and Ultimate forms, are now revealed.
4 Champion forms! (Edit 21:30 added the names thanks to updated Dim Card lineup)
Champion 1 Red Dude BethelGammamon: https://images.withthewill.net/iC0321_september30_2021.png
Champion 2 Wingdramon 2.0 KawsGammamon: https://images.withthewill.net/iC0322_september30_2021.png
Champion 3 Monochromon with cannons WezenGammamon: iC0323_september30_2021.png
Champion 4 Dark Champion (an anime first not counting SkullKnightmon) GrusGammamon: https://images.withthewill.net/iC0324_september30_2021.png

And lastly his Ultimate form Canovaismon: https://images.withthewill.net/iC0325_september30_2021.png

These evolutions seem to line up with the Gammamon Dim card that had no Champion Digimon and 1 missing Ultimate. And it's great to hear we're getting alternate Digivolutions for this series. I've been wanting this for a while now.

Gammamon Dim Card Lineup: https://images.withthewill.net/gammamon_full_october1_2021.png
And the other partners have updated Dim Card lineups, oddly they only have 1 champion form each. What!?: https://withthewill.net/threads/angoramon-jellymon-dim-cards-nearly-full-lineup.26378/

Last edited:

lolipiece

Oshiete. my teacher!
Staff member
I hope you're all ready for the thousands of Summer Wars jokes we're going to get thanks to Angoramon.

• Haha
Reactions: i2i

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Man that was amazing. It's so good being able to watch and enjoy Digimon again (suffer on hell, adventure pandering)

But... It's definetely "Yokai Watch Shadow Side but it's Digimon" lol Surprised people bought the whole "we are focusing in horror and stuff" from interviews. I knew from the get go it'd be like Shadow Side, just without some of its issues and it was pretty much it. Still good though

Also, it doesn't help Tamada's Hiro sounds VERY similar to her Akinori

Almost like they mixed the Jinpei-protagonist look with some aspects of Akinori's personality and a liiiitle bit of Touma and Natsume

Gammamon is such a cute. Must protect that thing. I love him. He has elements of Gumdramon, Gatchmon and Guilmon which were all digimon I like so I'm sold lol

TheCharredDragon

FOR THE [Fluffiest Fluff] CLICK HERE!
So on a whim I decided to watch Ghost Game's first ep and...okay I REALLY liked it. It certainly me has me wanting to at least see ep 2 and hopefully the rest of it. Even though it's not the scariest thing in the world, I liked the horror elements to it.

Also I love Gammamon already. I mean, I liked his design from the get-go, and really appreciate that it's more Triceratops in inspiration this time (not that I dislike the T. rex/"default predatory dinos" look), but his personality makes me REALLY like him. I'm looking forward to seeing his higher forms.

Oh, and something I noticed from the opening that may be me assuming things but...
The scene where Gammamon is being thrown off the bridge, the silhoette looks like Etemon. I know we JUST finished Adventure pandering, but I didn't watch it so I'm personally having the silly hope that Etemon will an appearance.

But... It's definetely "Yokai Watch Shadow Side but it's Digimon" lol Surprised people bought the whole "we are focusing in horror and stuff" from interviews. I knew from the get go it'd be like Shadow Side, just without some of its issues and it was pretty much it. Still good though

Huh. Didn't realize that. Though then again I have not seen Yokai Watch Shadow Side. Or, well, beyond I think maybe one episode? Basically I don't really watch Yokai Watch so I can't tell.

lolipiece

Oshiete. my teacher!
Staff member
The person who animated the opening said the Digimon were ones he knew and not indicative of who'll appear in the show.

Morax

Natural perm
I have zero knowledge about digimon but flipping through this thread i noticed that some designs are pretty fanservice-y. Is this anime really targeted to the same audience as pokemon?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Another very good episode.

And just as I thought: it's REALLY "Yokai Watch Shadow Side but it's Digimon". This one leaves no shadow (pun not intended) of doubt in me

All the early "horror" bits in the beggining so everything turns out the digimon the day was just being misguided and was not that bad is something Shadow Side did on a weekly basis.

As for the story

Gammamon is so freaking cute, I love him. Starting with Shoutmon, they've been nailing with the lead digimon. Plus Gammamon is "outcute-in" Gatchmon. How's that possible? Evolution was quite cool though the kid calling out attack names Pokémon-style still sounds a bit off. Should've been both kid and digimon.

NeoDude-5000

I have zero knowledge about digimon but flipping through this thread i noticed that some designs are pretty fanservice-y. Is this anime really targeted to the same audience as pokemon?
Probably more towards teens at the very least. Digimon does have the better shows than Pokemon but the franchise as a whole doesn't competes with Pokemon these days. Even I scratch my head with the fan service designs, except Angewomon she's fine as she is.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'd say this rivarly thing is more something the fans came up with since they have some similarities - including but not limited to their names - but they are more of "sister franchises" than anything. Both tend to explore their shared concept of "partner monster" in ways the other wouldn't.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
My opinion of Digimon Adventure: is mixed at best. I like individual episodes, but as a whole, I feel very lukewarm to it. Getting angry or happy at it as a whole takes too much energy to muster which is not good.

As for Ghost Game, we have Akira Ishida voicing yet another white-haired character which is just getting hilarious.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO