• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Digimon discussion - Digimon Ghost Game now available on Crunchyroll

SSJX

Energy is key.
I like Digimon better as an Anime than Pokemon. The first and second seasons of Digimon are the best. Fifth season is great. Third season was great until the human partner merged with their Digimon, then it lost me from liking it anymore. Season four is just awful. lol "humans are Digimon" so stupid. Pokemon are the better games, though. Of course it's obvious.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
"Hey Digimon! Hey Digimon! Monster friends of the boys and girls! Hey Digimon! Hey Digimon! Champions of the digital world!"

How does the verse go?

toge5556

Like a cosmic condom
WHAT happens at the end of tamers!? he finds the portal and...NOTHING!

Opal Pikachu13

I enjoyed Tamers and Frontier the best. Savers/Digimon Data Squad was alright, but wasn't that good to me. It was like they were trying to bring the Digimon and partners together, but it wasn't as great as the old Adventure and 02, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Buizelster

I'm halfway through Tamers right now. At episode 26. So far it's been pretty good with the exception of the cards being completely useless outside of the evolution cards. I mean they could pretty much win by just evolving. Just saying the cards should be more useful than what they're making them out to be.

and I really love Guilmon's Japanese voice compared to the English one.

Anyways it still lives up to Adventure so far, but I guess that's because I haven't reached the point where everyone turns emo and they start copying NGE.

BCVM22

Only one character becomes crushingly depressed and she has a darn good reason for it.

At no point does the series become anything close to Eva but for a few stylistic similarities.

Electivirus

Not really, no.
I enjoyed Frontier as well, although the latter half did get a bit repetitive with the whole "Getting their butts kicked by the Royal Knights ad nauseum". And everyone but Takuya and Koji becoming pretty much useless during any fight. Animation was nice, though.

BCVM22

And everyone but Takuya and Koji becoming pretty much useless during any fight.

Not one of the best ideas, perhaps, but from the standpoint of the storyboarders and animators, it was probably a necessary evil. The thing about an henshin-sequence action show with an ensemble cast, which all of the Digimon series are, is that you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Have all of your characters "suit up" for battle and you're then tasked with making sure that every one of them is at least seen in the background engaging in combat, lest you be accused of giving certain characters no screen time. Elect to keep otherwise-capable characters out of the battle and you're accused of giving them nothing to do. Ergo, the compromise in this case was to come up with a method of powering up Takuya and Kouji that just happened to include a reasonably legitimate cause to keep the rest of the cast on the sidelines. By doing this, they ensured that they only had two hero characters (Takuya and Kouji's higher/highest forms) to keep track of during fight scenes and to whom screentime needed to be doled out and that there was at least an established reason, even if it wasn't the best reason, why the rest of the cast would watch from the sidelines.

Again, it's not the greatest of solutions, but sometimes that's the compromise that has to be made with a large, combat-capable cast and a very finite number of episodes.

Electivirus

Not really, no.
I can certainly see where you're coming from, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating, IMO. Although to be fair, the others did help out on a couple of occasions, even if it was to no avail.

The ending of Frontier, saccharine as it may have been, was still pretty touching. The final battle was quite awesome as well. It was a good choice to use higher quality animation for it.

Buizelster

Only one character becomes crushingly depressed and she has a darn good reason for it.

At no point does the series become anything close to Eva but for a few stylistic similarities.

Eh from what I remember of the dub. The mind rape and crap did come off as Evangelion-esque. Didn't help that Takato's dub voice as also whiny and emo sounding.

His Japanese voice doesn't come off that way at all which is probably why I'm liking Tamers better in Japanese thus far. Doesn't give me the feeling that I'm watching Digimon for emos the way the dub did. Just my opinion though.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Not that it detracted from the series at all, but you do realize that they started with three Tamers and finished with eight (ten if you include Makoto and Ai), right? How does that constitute a "small and manageable cast"?

well, those could all count as secondary characters. Also, just because certain characters became Tamers doesn't exactly mean they were suddenly turned into a main (Hirokazu and Kenta are a damn good indication of that). While some characters did grow to have more important roles than others, the majority of the development and focus was still on the three main Tamers and their partners. I saw an entry on TVTropes that mentioned this, but I can't seem to find it now.

Gamekrazy

...Am I the only one who loved Savers? (Season 5)

I have to admit, it did start out kinda like the first season of code lyoko, where a digimon appears, they do something about it, the show ended and the same thing happened the next episode, but once you get past that little slump, it becomes increasingly more intresting. The whole government conspiracy thing reminded me of that dark feel I got from tamers, which is why I loved it.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Eh from what I remember of the dub. The mind rape and crap did come off as Evangelion-esque. Didn't help that Takato's dub voice as also whiny and emo sounding.

Apparently, the same person voices Agumon in Data Squad. I find his voice worked for Takato but Agumon, sort of (it takes time to get use to a new actor).

Last edited:

Buizelster

Okay finishing Tamers I'd say as far as the Japanese version goes that I did like it as much as Adventure, but I still don't think it's the best of the seasons thus far. Mainly because over 80% of the entire cast was annoying to the point that I just wanted to see all of them punched in the face. The only exceptions were of course the four main teams of Takato, Ruki, Jenrya, and Ryo whom I felt were the good characters, and side characters like Yamaki, Beezlebumon, Leomon, and Culumon who were actually interesting... Ah what the heck Lopmon was interesting too. It just sucked that she got stuck with someone like Shuichan.

Ah well. On to Frontier and I can't wait.

PiplupMan

The Master of Water
Frontier is the worst season of them all. For starters the kids are the digimon and they don't have there own. They do not have a good plot. I don't like the people. Only one girl i mean come on how sexist.

BCVM22

Frontier is the worst season of them all.

Per... you.

For starters the kids are the digimon and they don't have there own.

How dare a franchise try something different! Lord knows it can't be a good Digimon series if the goggle boy doesn't have a 3-foot-tall lizard of some sort (orange, blue or red, take your pick) following him around.

They do not have a good plot.

According to whom?

I don't like the people.

Solid support for your opinion there.

Only one girl i mean come on how sexist.

It was a five-person cast and Digimon, at its core, is a boy-aimed franchise. Not every roster is going to have the male/female ratio that the Adventures and Tamers had.

Frontier was guilty of nothing save for trying a different dynamic between the human characters and the Digimon. It retained Adventure's initial concept of kids brought to the Digital World by unknown means for unknown reasons and prior to Savers, it held the distinction of the smallest cast of core kids by the end of the series. Like Adventure, it had a far-reaching plot that grew and transformed exponentially from start to finish and it did all of this anywhere from passably to well. Yet despite all this, it's continually shat upon simply because it didn't have partner Digimon to flit around the screen. Does that really seem like a worthwhile criticism given everything else?

Last edited:

Gamekrazy

Hey... something im wondering about to potentially combat all the digimon-is-a-pokemon-ripoff thing... Were the digimon V-pets out before the pokemon franchise was? Im almost positive other virtual pets were, but was digimon?

BCVM22

Pokémon preceded the Digimon virtual pets by about a year.

But that's okay because you shouldn't need to "combat" that steaming pile of argument by this day and age. Anyone who still tries to make the case that one "copied" the other or vice versa is either still in elementary school or just a moron (that's right, I said it) because the franchises are about as different as can possibly be save for the superficial shared elements of lots 'o monsters.

Last edited: