• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Digimon discussion - Digimon Ghost Game now available on Crunchyroll

NeoDude-5000

I'll finally be able to play a good Digimon game since World 2003 (yes I'm European) on console. But hopefully it comes to Europe also. Don't leave us in the dark Bandai like you did in the Data Squad days!

p96822

Evolve me please
Out of some of the seasons I think that Season 2 having the better villains out there second only to Dark Knightmon. I think that the villians in Tamers was had reason of what there doing but it doesn't make me think of them as villains and more of misunderstanding and mess up programming. Out of all the villains in tamers I think the only one that feels like a villain is IceDevimon

Kataphrut

Out of some of the seasons I think that Season 2 having the better villains out there second only to Dark Knightmon. I think that the villians in Tamers was had reason of what there doing but it doesn't make me think of them as villains and more of misunderstanding and mess up programming. Out of all the villains in tamers I think the only one that feels like a villain is IceDevimon

You'll never top season 1 villains for me. Devimon was dull and the less said about Apocalymon the better, but apart from that you've got Myotismon, Piedmon, Puppetmon, Diaboromon...all really cool, compelling bad guys. Even Etemon was fun, if only because of how hammy he was.

Season 3 villains are a blur in my mind apart from the D-Reaper (and I guess Beelzemon, but I don't really count the ones that turn good), which was fantastic for how menacing, logical and just plain creepy it was. Not as fun as any of the season 1 villains, but it occupied a space in my nightmares that they could never hope to reach.

Season 4 had Cherubimon, who was pretty cool in a misguided sort of way, and Lucemon made for a decent final boss. The other spirits had their moments, but only Mercurymon really stood out for me. Let's do season 4 a kindness and not bring up the Royal Knights.

Haven't watched 5 or 6, but I've heard good things about Kurata and DarkKnightmon. May have to give those a try soon.

Akashin

You'll never top season 1 villains for me. Devimon was dull and the less said about Apocalymon the better, but apart from that you've got Myotismon, Piedmon, Puppetmon, Diaboromon...all really cool, compelling bad guys. Even Etemon was fun, if only because of how hammy he was.

Season 3 villains are a blur in my mind apart from the D-Reaper (and I guess Beelzemon, but I don't really count the ones that turn good), which was fantastic for how menacing, logical and just plain creepy it was. Not as fun as any of the season 1 villains, but it occupied a space in my nightmares that they could never hope to reach.

Season 4 had Cherubimon, who was pretty cool in a misguided sort of way, and Lucemon made for a decent final boss. The other spirits had their moments, but only Mercurymon really stood out for me. Let's do season 4 a kindness and not bring up the Royal Knights.

Haven't watched 5 or 6, but I've heard good things about Kurata and DarkKnightmon. May have to give those a try soon.

Season 3 also had--for a time--Hypnos itself as an antagonist, which I found really interesting. Though like Beelzebumon, they turn good. In fact, D-Reaper aside, I don't think Tamers had any antagonists that stayed that way (the Devas never turned sides, per se, but they ceased being antagonists at the same time the Holy Beasts did).

DarkKnightmon was great, for the most part, but Bagramon himself left much to be desired. He was a quintessential final boss, literally sitting on a throne and waiting for the heroes to reach him.

Born Better

God of Lightning
I watched all of Data Squad a few weeks ago and it's now my second favorite series behind Tamers. Kurata makes for a great chicken*censored* heel. He actually made me hate his guts.

Can't remember much of anything about all the other villains.

First one came out in 2007. The fourth and final one's due out this year.

Goddamn. Please do not let Tri take anywhere near this long. I just want it to be over and done with so we can move on to an actual new series.

Last edited:

This post is full of win! I think you just about covered which villains stood out in each season you mentioned, and totally nailed the reasons they made good villains (especially Etemon and the D-Reaper).

However, one interesting thing about season 5 is that early on it felt like a detective show to me, and that led to some interesting villains (or at least "villains") that only appeared in one episode. Also, later on there was one villain that I found particularly intriguing. I won't give any spoilers, but this character was one of a group that was around for a relatively short time during the high point of Kurata's evil schemes. The way this little group of his underlings is revealed is just amazing, but in any case, pay extra attention to the one that is the creepiest. You'll be glad you did.

Season 3 also had--for a time--Hypnos itself as an antagonist, which I found really interesting.

Yes, yes, YES!! Like, everything about them makes me love to hate them, from their general disregard for digital life, to the way Yamaki is willing to threaten children. It just worked so well!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

I do agree that the season one villains are rather more memorable, but regardless, they all had (mostly) one thing in common: take over the world(s). Although in Myotismon's case, I think that was only because he had read/heard a prophecy and wanted to fulfill it, he just overlooked some of the more, er, "petty" details involving his death, I suppose. Magnificent, evil bastard, but maybe not as smart as he made himself out to be? And he apparently was driven to drink hardcore alcohol as MaloMyotismon, according to some official picture book, so... *slow shrug* I've come to like Etemon more since I've kinda-sorta rewatched the series, and even though he's goofy, he was rather threatening, and I liked that balance. He kinda lost it as MetalEtemon, apparently, but at least he was still evil enough to kick-start a franchise tradition that I hope to God is broken in Tri.

The other villains got better in having better motives for why they did what they did. While Oikawa was more of a tragic human villain in Zero Two (and it wasn't his fault anyway), Ken I think was an interesting look into what a corrupt DigiDestined looked like, and I wish we had more of that in the series, but more permanently. (One of my theories is that the new character in Tri will be this, but I'm not holding my breath on it.) Yamaki was the same way with Hypnos, although I think their intentions weren't as evil as we thought, it was just a way to "clean up mistakes", Yamaki just kinda went overboard with it? Right? The D-Reaper is probably one of the more freaky villains in Digimon mainly because it was a program. It had no motive, it just did what it was designed to do, it just used the broken mind of a child to do it. I'm actually kind of surprised I never remembered this as a kid, because I know I watched the show, but I don't think I really watched the last episodes before Frontier started. So when I did eventually get around to watching Tamers fairly recently, when I got to that moment, I was all, "Whoa, that's cool, but Jesus Christ why."

Oddly enough, when I think of season four villains, I think of the Evil Legendary Warriors a lot, and I'm not entirely sure why. I know they did quite a bit for a while (and you're right that Mercurymon stands out a lot as being one of the more villainous of the group), but I thought they were interesting. It's come to the point where I think they have better personalities than the Dark Masters, even if they're not as threatening most of the time (although they had their moments, I remember).

I just now got to where Savers picks up as a series, so I haven't run into the more juicy villains quite yet. All I know is Kurata's probably more evil than Myotismon, although I don't really know his motives behind it.

Man, I can hardly wait to see who or what the villain(s) is in Tri. Since it's going to span six movies, I see there being more than one, but I hope they're worth it. Even if the older villains end up coming back for at least one film, I still can't wait.

Haunter ゴースト

Ken in Season 2 was such a good villain because he didn't have any remorse for the Digimon at all (you'll often find a villain of any show does have some humanity) and because of the turnaround with him to the good side.

p96822

Evolve me please
Villian I think that are good are Ken, DarkKnightmon, Mysotismon, Derboromon they are really memberally for what they did

Kataphrut

Okay, so I put my money where my mouth is and did a binge watch of Data Squad. It's now my favourite Digimon series after Tamers, and continues the trend of all post-Adventure series being "Digimon meets X", in this case "Digimon meets Gurenn Lagann." The real fun was recognising all the English voice actors: Takato became Guilmon, Guilmon became Mr Owl from Winnie the Pooh, Sora was the relatable straight-woman, Crispin Freeman was the World's Greatest Human (as it should be), and everybody was playing second-fiddle to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance-era Raiden.

Since we're talking villains, I thought Merukimon was a great sympathetic foil, Gotsumon was surprisingly threatening, the Bio-Hybrids were fun distractions and the Royal Knights were once again terrible. But the highlight was Kurata, who shifted brilliantly from a Starscream-esque coward to a despicable despot in one move. His arc rivalled Myotismon's in intensity, and the final battle against him was awesome.

Littlemyuu

I loved Digimon since season one, latest I watched was Tamers but I try to watch Frontier but that one is not that appealing to me...I want to give it a chance,
but I'am really psyched up for Tri, Gatomon is my favorite Digimon ( next to Gaomon ) and I really want to see her again. :)

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
New poster for Tri.:

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/11RHMyc.jpg[/img139]

And I know it's not the official site or whatnot (though information might be going on there), but this blog's brought about some information from the Digimon Festival Eve's event, with more information expected to come possibly later tomorrow.

According to Bokutachi no Digital World, we have information on the movie's duration and Blu-Ray/DVD release. The first chapter, "Reunion", set to be released on November 21st, is confirmed to be 80 minutes long. It will be in ten theaters across Japan for three weeks, and the Blu-Ray/DVD will be released on December 18th (8000¥ for Blu-Ray, 7000¥ for DVD).

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I see that this series keeps making one or two main characters do all the fighting while shafting the rest to background material.

Did they not learn after almost learning it during Data Squad?

How do you know that?

And we already know everyone else will go Mega, so they will be fighting.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
We do? When was it confirmed the other 6 didigestined will achieve mega?

Early promotional material had a few pieces of the storyboards for the animation.

One showed Tentomon becoming HerculesKabuterimon.

Give me a few and I'll find it.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
After seeing that trailer, I suddenly feel older.