• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Digimon discussion - Digimon Ghost Game now available on Crunchyroll

TheGreaterLucario

The PS4 and Vita are closer in architecture, if I'm not mistaken. It's easier to port a title from the former to the latter, or at least develop the two similarly. Profit is potentially a wash but development for the Sony pair is easier and more easily intertwined. Combine that with Namco Bandai's closer links to Sony's hardware over the years - not exclusivity, but they've definitely developed more for the various PlayStations - and that more or less answers your question.

But was that not the reason they opted not to localize Digimon games for several years is because they felt the profits would be a wash? Why do they suddenly not care whether profits are high or not?

BCVM22

But was that not the reason they opted not to localize Digimon games for several years is because they felt the profits would be a wash?

"A wash" is a point of equality. If they felt the profits would be a wash, they wouldn't do something in the first place - no one makes a business decision with the intent of only breaking even on the project. Digimon games have trouble getting localized because the franchise's presence in the west ebbs and flows even more so than in Japan, where it's stronger during ongoing anime series, and even between anime series it's still at least somewhat visible in other formats.

Profit is potentially a wash (again, roughly the same) between developing for the PS4/Vita versus developing a 3DS build, which I believe is your issue here - that Cyber Sleuth is for the Sony pair and not for the 3DS. Which is to say, there isn't necessarily a huge discrepancy between the profit each one would result in - which still isn't a lot, because Digimon games haven't sold in super-great numbers for some time - but for only a slight difference in development costs, they can have two builds (PS4 and Vita) versus one (3DS).

The bottom line here, and this probably isn't the answer you want, is that if you want Digimon video games but only own a 3DS, you're sort of on the wrong side of the tracks. Even more so in being a North American gamer, where the franchise's presence comes and goes, at best.

Akashin

Edit: I'm going to just go ahead and take this bit out. Didn't notice the complete second page of discussion on the topic; blame it on me being half-awake when I made the post.

I guess it comes down to this: Both had the fanbase begging for a localization. Both really had no guarantee that they would sell well if localized. Yet, they decided to localize one of them. Would it not make more sense to localize the one for the system that has had better sales and thus more of the fanbase you are trying to cater to likely own? I mean, give me your honest opinion here, do you think more profit could be made with a game for the PS4 or Vita or one for the 3DS? I mean, yeah I'm bummed they're not localizing Decode, but I'm more baffled at the lack of sense it makes.

It's hard to make accurate speculation without knowing more on how things are on their end, but if I had to guess I'd say they only recently got around to being willing to give localization another shot. And if that was a recent decision, it only makes sense to localize the most recent game at the time.

As for where the profit is, right now I'd probably lean toward Cyber Sleuth over Decode anyway, if only because the Western fans they're trying to sell to are going to know which is the new game and which is the one that is three years old by the time we get it.

Last edited:

Kataphrut

Exclusivity is a pain, but there's nothing we can do about it. I mean, I think everybody who can should buy the localised Cyber Sleuth to show there's a market for Digimon RPGs. That's how you get further Digimon games localised and hopefully even an English voice dub.

I mean I was planning to get Cyber Sleuth on Vita because it fulfils a double purpose of giving me the Persona-esque Digimon RPG I have craved, and for giving me an actual game to play on the Vita. Though it will probably get most of it's money on the PS4 version, which makes sense. Aside from the obvious better graphics and performance, the preorder DLC for the PS4 version has a Beelzemon Blast Mode as an unlockable Digimon. As I said elsewhere, you tell me to jump for a Beelzemon Blast Mode, I say "how high"?

Akashin

Exclusivity is a pain, but there's nothing we can do about it. I mean, I think everybody who can should buy the localised Cyber Sleuth to show there's a market for Digimon RPGs. That's how you get further Digimon games localised and hopefully even an English voice dub.

I mean I was planning to get Cyber Sleuth on Vita because it fulfils a double purpose of giving me the Persona-esque Digimon RPG I have craved, and for giving me an actual game to play on the Vita. Though it will probably get most of it's money on the PS4 version, which makes sense. Aside from the obvious better graphics and performance, the preorder DLC for the PS4 version has a Beelzemon Blast Mode as an unlockable Digimon. As I said elsewhere, you tell me to jump for a Beelzemon Blast Mode, I say "how high"?

If it helps any, the Vita is getting that DLC too.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos

Pretty much what I'm doing. I've missed the Digimon RPG's...

Last edited:

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
bring back Ryo Akiyama or give me death

seriously it'd be really interesting to see if he showed up in tri.. I highly doubt it, but a girl can dream!

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
bring back Ryo Akiyama or give me death

seriously it'd be really interesting to see if he showed up in tri.. I highly doubt it, but a girl can dream!

Why stop there? Let's have them haven an unexpected crossover with Tamers! Whoo!

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Sorry, but gonna respond to a previous comment
Well, as a 3DS owner, I can officially say that when it comes to Digimon, Namco Bandai have amounted to being massive trolls to the fanbase.
Trolls to the fanbase? Look up Square Enix if you want troll companies. Not localizing Digimon Re:Digitize Decode is what the big boys call a BUSINESS DECISION, not an effort to "troll" your fanbase.

Rather than release a localization of another Digimon game for a system most people already have, they release them for systems that most people do NOT already own (PS Vita and PS4)
3DS sales LTD as of 9/30-15 is 54M (shipped). No confirmed sales info since, but with the holiday, I think it's safe to say ~55M sold-though. The Vita is confirmed to be a little over 10M sold through. The PS4 as of 1/3/16 (somewhere in first week of Jan) is 35.9 sold-through. So 3DS (55M) vs PSV+PS4 (46M). 3DS is ahead by 9M, but the combined PS fanbase is nothing to brush off either.

would most likely have to go out and buy one solely to be able to play the new localization everyone has been waiting so long for.
Didn't you buy a 3DS because those cool 3DS games weren't available on DS? Don't be entitled. Go buy a Vita or PS4 if you want to play this new Digimon game. Or keep petitioning for the 3DS game to be localized.

How do they expect a new localization to sell well if they localize it for a system that a. isn't all that popular compared to some of the others
While the Vita is a minuscule ant compared to the towering 3DS in terms of popularity and sales, each has their own fanbase. In Japan, first week sales of Decode is 35K, while Vita's Cyber Sleuth is 70K. Vita sold double the 3DS game, despite having over 10M less hardware sold. You might argue it's not fair since the 3DS game is just a port the the original PSP game, but then I can argue that that shows the Digimon fanbase is with PlayStation, which you call as "isn't all that popular".

b. has a repertoire of games mainly catering to those who favor FPS and/or more violent games? And then they go and withhold future localization from us because "Digimon games don't sell well".
Yes, and? So just because there lots of shooters and violent games, that instantly means every other genre flops? You should portbeg every Japanese developer to cancel all their JRPGs on PS4 and port it to NX because they will flop on PlayStation unless it's a full on FPS and gallons of blood everywhere. Also, what makes you so sure the 3DS game would even be successful? Yokai Watch's aesthetic fits kids more than Digimon's, and is a JRPG for 3DS, but I haven't read any NA sales success from it.

My apologies if this isn't the right place to go to talk about this.
Sony has developed a "3rd-Party Relations" team for the PS ecosystem, which helps 3rd-party devs and indies to put and/localize their games on PS platforms. If you're gonna be mad at anyone for not localizing your most wanted import, get mad at Nintendo for not creating their own 3PR team. Might as well buy a Vita now if you want to play the new Digimon games. There's a new one coming out this year in Japan for the Vita, and it looks like the protagonist from the PS1 games will finally return again.

ANYWAY, watched Ep 1 of Tri. It was okay. The artstyle was kinda iffy, IMO, but the Digimons themselves still look great! If anyone is enjoying Tri, and want to play a Digimon game, Cyber Sleuth is coming out on Feb 2 for PS4 and Vita. It's an original storyline (but kinda crosses over with Re:Digitize for a short while and still has the same design artist), but the gameplay is so good. There's over 200 Digimons to obtain and Digivolve, and they all look fantastic.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

Watching that PV and developing all of these conflicting emotions makes me think this is where s*** has now hit the fan. We had gotten it with Tai in the first part, but now it looks like everyone's starting to catch on.

*reaches very end*

NO.

THAT'S NOT OKAY.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
We have Ken, Davis, Yolei, and Cody plus Alphamon. Assuming the latter four are brainwashed, we could have each one of them as a villain per movie with Alphamon being the big bad twice. Or we have another hidden threat much like MaloMyotismon or Apocalymon.

So I see the villain line up as

1) Alphamon
2) brainwashed Ken
3) brainwashed Davis
4) brainwashed Cody
5) brainwashed Yolei
6) Mysterious new threat or Alphamon again

Born Better

God of Lightning
I rewatched Tamers a few days ago. I tried watching subbed, but I hated Takoto's voice, so I switched to dub. You can make a drinking game out of how many times the phrase "aw nuts" is used. Unfortunately, it suffered from being something I had seen before and I spent half the time waiting for *insert event here to happen*. Overall, I still enjoyed it and I'll likely give the sub another try at some point.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
So I see the villain line up as

1) Alphamon
2) brainwashed Ken
3) brainwashed Davis
4) brainwashed Cody
5) brainwashed Yolei
6) Mysterious new threat or Alphamon again

I'm going to be honestly surprised if Alphamon remains a villain the entire time, and not be a Digimon who was just following orders thinking it's for the greater good only to learn he was a pawn because he's a moron. But until then, I'll keep expecting Alphamon to go "YOU TRICKED ME" to his boss in the future in which I'll shake my head and call him a moron. Again.

I rewatched Tamers a few days ago. I tried watching subbed, but I hated Takoto's voice, so I switched to dub. You can make a drinking game out of how many times the phrase "aw nuts" is used. Unfortunately, it suffered from being something I had seen before and I spent half the time waiting for *insert event here to happen*. Overall, I still enjoyed it and I'll likely give the sub another try at some point.

I stuck with it dubbed, personally, probably because the voice cast was really good despite the script--a couple of stinkers, but that's to be expected. I loved Derek Stephen Prince as Impmon, but Steve Blum as Guilmon is a gift from God. (I swear I saw a post on Tumblr that someone had sent him a question through Facebook about how he got the part of Guilmon, and apparently he did the voice as a joke someplace whether in the booth, control room, wherever. I might be thinking of a different voice actor, however.)

I need to get back into Savers... held it off for way too long because ugggghh. Something about it is bothering me, and it's not just because of the voice-acting.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Is that Ken? o__o

At the end, looking rather like Digimon Kaiser? Looks like Taichi to me.

Here's a screencap somebody at AS took for easier reference.

The hair is blue. I think the spikier hair it just a stylistic choice

My guess is given the background color being similar to what was shown in the beginning of the first part, this is taking place in that same dimension. If it's Ken, this is probably what'd he be like if he had chosen to remain as Digimon Kaiser, or is being forced to become it again. If it's Tai, this may be a glimpse into an alternate universe where Tai went mad with power--which actually sounds like a pretty cool idea now that I think about it.

In the meantime, I'm waiting to see what the verdict on the Leomon v. Ogremon fight is (I thought this was a flashback to episode 13, but the two never fought in that episode, and Ogremon looks like he's either enraged or possessed--or both). I'm even more worried now that it looks like it's the same Ogremon in Adventure and not a different individual; still, I'm happy Ogremon has returned. I missed that oaf.