• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Digimon! Yeah that's what this thread is about!

irishdax

Pokemon Breeder
I loved the old versions of digimon the new ones are not worth watching anymore, maybe because I grew to accustom to the older versions from the first season to the third or seconf I can't remember? Which one was the one before they started finding the little digimon statues and then merged with them?

The fourth season was the one where they found the digimon statues and merged with them.
My favourite season was the second season as it had my favourite characters from the first season in it as well, while developing the storyline further!

uber gon

Accept Change
The fourth season was the one where they found the digimon statues and merged with them.
My favourite season was the second season as it had my favourite characters from the first season in it as well, while developing the storyline further!

Although some parts of that story didn't really add up to me, particulary the tags and crests.

Ralts Master

Knight of White Eye
Yeah, and Digimon actually addressed issues that Pokemon would NEVER acknowledge.
Also it had an actual plot and the sense to start over with a new cast once and a while (Something Pokemon really needs to do!)...

catseye4

Magical Nothing
digimon is awesome, but the newest season is a disgrace.

BCVM22

Also it had an actual plot and the sense to start over with a new cast once and a while (Something Pokemon really needs to do!)...

It's a terrible comparison on all counts. All four Digimon series have been conceived as finite narratives, with a beginning, middle and end. The Pokémon anime may have been conceived as such at the very outset, but I shouldn't have to point out that it's clearly evolved beyond that just a bit since then. This is due in no small part to the fact that Digimon is a limited franchise: it releases a new product every year at best to every few years otherwise. Pokémon is very much ongoing, releasing a new product of some sort every 6 months or so at least.

Furthermore, Digimon as a franchise has no actual narrative source material to work from as far as anything is concerned. The franchise began as the little LCD games and though it became a card game and a few forgotten video games later on, none of those provide any of the narrative source material for an animated production that the Pokémon games do for the anime. This gives Toei's writers and animators almost completely free reign to create their own characters, give them distinct archetypal personalities (the goggle boy, the rebellious brooding loner, the leading lady, the smart guy, etc) and craft an entirely original story to sew it all together. The writers and animators behind the Pokémon anime have no such freedom, but they don't really need it because the games provide all that they need: a hero and his Pokémon travel across the region, defeating Gym Leaders, gaining badges, stopping the plans of an evil organization and eventually taking on the top Trainers in the land. In the games, that "hero" is you, playing as the game's main character. In the anime, it's Ash and company. Nintendo dictates everything else to the animators.

Comparing Pokémon and Digimon, and particularly the animated incarnations of both franchises, is simply indefensible and yields absolutely no worthwhile discussion.

uber gon

Accept Change
It's a terrible comparison on all counts. All four Digimon series have been conceived as finite narratives, with a beginning, middle and end. The Pokémon anime may have been conceived as such at the very outset, but I shouldn't have to point out that it's clearly evolved beyond that just a bit since then. This is due in no small part to the fact that Digimon is a limited franchise: it releases a new product every year at best to every few years otherwise. Pokémon is very much ongoing, releasing a new product of some sort every 6 months or so at least.

Furthermore, Digimon as a franchise has no actual narrative source material to work from as far as anything is concerned. The franchise began as the little LCD games and though it became a card game and a few forgotten video games later on, none of those provide any of the narrative source material for an animated production that the Pokémon games do for the anime. This gives Toei's writers and animators almost completely free reign to create their own characters, give them distinct archetypal personalities (the goggle boy, the rebellious brooding loner, the leading lady, the smart guy, etc) and craft an entirely original story to sew it all together. The writers and animators behind the Pokémon anime have no such freedom, but they don't really need it because the games provide all that they need: a hero and his Pokémon travel across the region, defeating Gym Leaders, gaining badges, stopping the plans of an evil organization and eventually taking on the top Trainers in the land. In the games, that "hero" is you, playing as the game's main character. In the anime, it's Ash and company. Nintendo dictates everything else to the animators.

Comparing Pokémon and Digimon, and particularly the animated incarnations of both franchises, is simply indefensible and yields absolutely no worthwhile discussion.

Well......Digimon had more edis than Pokemon, I think.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!

...wait what

There weren't any "statues" in that season. Those were the essences of the elemental warriors, holding their power. And the kids didn't merge with those either, they absorbed the power into their digivices which allowed them to transform into that warrior. The "merging" came about with fusions, but that was up near the end of the season.

uber gon

Accept Change
...wait what

There weren't any "statues" in that season. Those were the essences of the elemental warriors, holding their power. And the kids didn't merge with those either, they absorbed the power into their digivices which allowed them to transform into that warrior. The "merging" came about with fusions, but that was up near the end of the season.

It was still a weird season though.

-Koumori-

BCVM22, thank you. Seriously. I can't even think of the words that go beyond 'I agree with you' at the moment.
digimon is awesome, but the newest season is a disgrace.
...*Slap*

I've only seen a few of the episodes dubbed, which were alright, but I watched that entire season subbed and it was one of the best of all five. I can't say I downright hated any of the Digimon seasons, either, though. Adventure is always going to be my favorite season because I was just a kid when I first saw it, and every time I see it now it brings back such a nostalgic feeling that reminds me of summer. But Savers (Or Data Squad, whatever you prefer to call it) had a storyline that just pulled me in. There didn't seem to be much of a plot at first, until around episode 13 or so if I remember right, but once it started it didn't slow down a bit! That said, this is just my opinion, and not everyone enjoys the same things I do >_>; But I would have saved the word 'disgrace' for something different.

Java-wolf

Supports Buizel&Ash
Hey guys, I haven't seen digimon since Season one XD (Well I saw the first two episodes of one, where some kid creates Guilmon? I think..)

Anywaay I was wondering if you more dedicated Digi-folks could tell me, what is the difference between 'Baby 1' and 'Baby II' (In-Training) Digimon? I see them listed as two seperate things and haven't the slightest clue.
Thanks all ^_^

irishdax

Pokemon Breeder
Anywaay I was wondering if you more dedicated Digi-folks could tell me, what is the difference between 'Baby 1' and 'Baby II' (In-Training) Digimon? I see them listed as two seperate things and haven't the slightest clue.
Thanks all ^_^

Baby I (or Fresh form) is the form digimon take when they first hatch from a digi-egg. Baby II (or In-Training form) is the fresh's digivolved from. Take the Patamon line.... his Baby I from is Poyomon, In-Training is Tokomon and then Rookie from of Patamon.
Does that help?

the_w0lf

-/-Dutty Love-/-
Oh, I was wondering when a new Digimon thread would be made. I recently finished Digimon 02, which was terrific up until I dunno, the last 8 or so episodes. It just slowly declined for me,although I'm completely aware of its target audience, so it was exceptable to push friendship values and the like. I'm debating whether or not to start "Tamers". I remember liking it as a kid, but I'm not sure if it'd retain its same charm as before. I probably would though, mostly because I've finished watching the 1st two.

Comparing pokemon with digimon in terms for anime is pretty pointless. I do enjoy Digimon more in terms of plot but I understand why pokemon has such a cylical plot.

ForeverFlame

Oh, I was wondering when a new Digimon thread would be made. I recently finished Digimon 02, which was terrific up until I dunno, the last 8 or so episodes. It just slowly declined for me,although I'm completely aware of its target audience, so it was exceptable to push friendship values and the like. I'm debating whether or not to start "Tamers". I remember liking it as a kid, but I'm not sure if it'd retain its same charm as before. I probably would though, mostly because I've finished watching the 1st two.

I watched Tamers again after I finished 02 and I enjoyed it, so I would suggest for you to watch it.

I just hated how the last ten or so episodes were so slow-paced - it was almost as if the writers were desperately trying to pull the series so that it hit the 50-episode range.

the_w0lf

-/-Dutty Love-/-
^Are you talking about Tamers? Because I found the 2nd season to be like that too. I can't remember the end of Frontier so I dont really know it's a trend with Digimon. Either way, theyre still enjoyable. I will check out Tamers when I have some time though.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
End of Frontier was tight. It was the middle that dragged on.

bob_starnock

i think all the series hav had their up and down points, personally i found 02 annoying as i liked the 01 characters so much that i never rele connected with them. initially i thought tamers was a bit childish as they went for younger looking characters but i definitely got that wrong, after having a proper watching session i realised it's probably the most mature of all the series.

i liked the premise for frontier but have never really watched it so not much to say there. shame is all the digimon video games have never lived up to pokemon :) tho i did give the DS digimon game a spin and found it pretty fun, no longevity after u've finished the story mode tho, whereas im still playing pkmn wen i finished it over a year ago.

uber gon

Accept Change
Anyone here ever wonder what Zephyrmon's whole face looked like? I always though it'd look like Mileena's faace in Mortal Kombat.