• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Direction in the Pokemon anime

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I have to say I really love direction this anime is going. So far, I definitely enjoy this series more than Johto series, BW and SM.
It's on the track to top Kanto.
This has possibilities to top even AG. But XY and DP? That's really hard. We will see. Hopefully they continue this and more WC battles.
It all depends on execution, it could end up becoming either the best or the worst of the anime IMO. It's mostly on a good track right now, if only they'd stop being so partial to KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
(though this thread is more about an episode's direction, like shot composition, the OST, battle choreography, etc)

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
It all depends on execution, it could end up becoming either the best or the worst of the anime IMO. It's mostly on a good track right now, if only they'd stop being so partial to KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
(though this thread is more about an episode's direction, like shot composition, the OST, battle choreography, etc)
I don't see how this can be worse than SM and especially Johto( with boring fillers that made me skip the most episodes) but Ok. Yeah Kanto pandering is the worst, I agree.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
What I am worried is how will they go for the next generation whenever it comes. Like we assume Ash defeats Leon when the current series ends, then what after that?

Scenario 1: New champion is stronger than Leon- Ash would definitely want to challenge the new champion. But it wouldn't make much sense for him to battle 100 trainers again as he would already be a champion. So I can't imagine how they will make a series of 150 episodes for that

Scenario 2: Ash isn't able to defeat Leon by the end of the current series- But since we can assume that he will definitely have an official battle with Leon by the end of the series, Ash would be in Top8. Then from being in Top 8 to becoming champion will also not take 150 episodes.

Scenario 3: Ash defeats Leon by the end of the series and in the new series, they revert to old formula of travelling the new region collecting gym badges- Wouldn't make any sense after Ash defeats the champion.

Scenario 4: Ash remains a Champion and continues his journey as one, by accepting challenges from other challengers to the throne- Seems like a possible one, but in this case, Go/ any new co-protagonist would have an increased role to fill the show.

Scenario 5: they either reboot the anime/ or introduce new main character, and Ash is just some recurring character- possible, but this Ash and Pikachu are anime Mascot, I find it hard to believe they would leave the show if the show is still running

Scenario 6: Show Ends. The End

Last edited:
So what's the chance we'll see Mewtwo (MSB/MSBE) in S23 (2019 Anime)? It'd be really nice to get an update on him after two decades. I mean, Lugia and Ho-oh have both appeared so far and Ash with the new co-star, Go is travelling the world. Go wants to catch mew, so it'd be really odd if we didn't get a cameo of a mysterious cloaked pokemon observing them from a far. I wished I wasn't just learning Japanese so I could ask them or remind them to put this character back in and resolve the his story (happily please?) The anime really needs to utilize the history and characters it has set up.

Update:

This one guy on reddit keeps telling me that it's very unlikely and that they seldom tie movie events into the anime anymore. But Mewtwo Returns wasn't a movie it was special episode during Johto Journeys.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
While the pacing had issues due to all the flashbacks, I loved the storyboarding during the Ash vs Guzma league battle, especially starting from when Ash and Pikachu use GVH. Not only that, but the using of "Notebook of the Heart" at the end was just brilliant, and while I tend to be mostly neutral on the dub, I feel like they really did the end of the fight a disservice.

Mew29240

Best case scenario since the next protag would wind up with a Pikachu anyways, might as well have it be Ash's and Koharu's kid

Ash x Koharu would be an interesting pair given that she doesn't have much of an interest in Pokemon at the moment. It actually might be a good thing for Ash to end up with someone who isn't crazy about Pokemon.

Now if they could only interact in the anime...

Hm, there's a ton of scenes I enjoyed the direction of from the anime but some of my favorites have to be the final Ash vs Alain battle (the final fight between Greninja and Charizard), the Ash vs Gladion league battle (specifically Pika vs Zoroark, Lycanroc confusion + bite scene, final attack, and victory scene- really enjoyed the Japanese music there)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The directions in the Pokemon anime are north, east, south, and west, just like in the real world.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Hm, there's a ton of scenes I enjoyed the direction of from the anime but some of my favorites have to be the final Ash vs Alain battle (the final fight between Greninja and Charizard), the Ash vs Gladion league battle (specifically Pika vs Zoroark, Lycanroc confusion + bite scene, final attack, and victory scene- really enjoyed the Japanese music there)
Yay, we're finally back on topic
I really liked the direction of most, if not all major XY battles tbh, with personal favorite moments in the Ash vs Alain fight being the two "eye transitions" (when the camera goes through Ash's eye and then into Pikachu before beating Metagross, and when it goes into Ash and Greninja staring at Charizard). I agree with you in both of Ash's SM victory scenes (vs Gladion and vs Kukui). The first one was a perfect display of how overwhelmed Ash was by his victory that he couldn't even process it (I LOVE how the camera moves around with the cheering stadium while Ash is at the center with his brain probably having shut down), while the second shows him fully embracing it, lying down exhausted and satisfied with Pikachu

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
also, @Power Up
Did you finish your XY rewatch? I'm sure you have quite a bit of insight that could go on this thread

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Not 100% sure that this is a directorial decision, but I'm pretty sure it is. I like the decision to start doing game-like VS screens in Gen VI. I was sad in Gen VII when they only used VS screens for the Grand Trials and the League. Either way, I like the VS screens concept in general, whether it was for all battles like Gen VI or just some like Gen VII. How is it in Gen VIII???

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Not 100% sure that this is a directorial decision, but I'm pretty sure it is. I like the decision to start doing game-like VS screens in Gen VI. I was sad in Gen VII when they only used VS screens for the Grand Trials and the League. Either way, I like the VS screens concept in general, whether it was for all battles like Gen VI or just some like Gen VII. How is it in Gen VIII???
Yeah, those were a really cool addition, I didn’t like the Alola League ones tho, they looked pretty messy. The XY and Grand Trial ones were great though
The Pokemon World Championships matches are the only ones with kinda a vs screen. They're in-universe though, like the screens we see in league matches