• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Disappointment In Starter Evolution?

rocky505

only thing that disappointed me about the starters was Emboar being fire/fighting and Samurott not being Water/fighting.

ChedWick

I think this 5th generation is the first generation where I haven't been impressed with the starters. The snivy line is my preferred at the moment but really only once you get to Serperior. They had a lot of potential but they just seem unnecessarily over designed. I can see myself warming up to samurott though.

AJ

❖☢☼☯☾♛☮
i was dissapointed in grotle, crokanaw, and prinplup. they were -in my opinion- terrible link pokemon from 1st to last forms

Qmaz246

Disney Trainer
I was sad at the fact that their was another fire-fighting type.

Nyter

Island Challenger
I really dig Serperior! It's the first of the Starters to have a different type of body base.

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
Usually, I'm not bothered by designs, but the Tepig line doesn't interest me one bit. Ugly little basterds....

DarthVegas

Rockstar from Mars
Hmmm... i love Samurott and Serperior but Emboar is but friggin ugly... lol

Emboar is just plain rubbish and I mean...ANOTHER Fire/Fight? Come ON!

Rayofquazar

I was very disappointed by the tepig family... It's the only starter family that I dislike cz it's badly designed!

Favorite are all the kanto starters, torchic family, Totodile but not the evos very much. The others are just good enough! Note that my favorite starter of all time is bulbasaur cz it's Number one!

As for the fact that we have a fire/fight for the third time in a row is not such a bad thing... I mean for it to be a starter it needs to respond to some criteria so we can't have a part dragon type pokemon... Gamefreak is just trying balancing things out But I also think that they could come up with more creative type combinations like grass/rock or water/poison and Fire/dark!

thatguycharizard34

so AWH-SOME /)^ɛ^(\
The only starters I've been disappointed by were Tepig evolutions. They were just a Ctrl C+V of Infernape and they aren't anywhere as good.

violet ketchum

Reshiram is so cool
I got an Oshawott. It's so adorable! I also love Samurott look at it it's an awesome looking pokemon. But Dewott just looks mad so when my oshawott evolved i was trying to change it into an Samurott so quickly. Tepig is adorable. But it's evolved forms aren't . Snivy? No matter what form it's in it always looks to smart and cunning with the 'im better then you' look.

Jake.

I don't like the Chimchar or Tepig lines. Other than that the stater lines are all good to great.

Kalosian

So long
I have never really been disappointed with a starter evolution. There are starters that I like less than the others, but in all of those cases, it is all the lines in their evolution that makes it, not just one stage.

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
Only Starter I liked from gen 5 is Snivy/Servine/Serperior. Samurott is nothing special, another Floatzel IMO. Emboar is worst of the 3 fire/fighting types.

Specialbeamcanon

SUCH PERFECTION
First of all I like your Platinum Team! We should battle sometime! On topic while I love Samurot I still would've preferred a larger version of Dewott.
Samurott is a larger version of Dewott. The only difference is that it stands on four legs instead of two. Big whoop.

Mankanshoku Mako

I have not been dissapointed with any aspect of any stater pokemon in the past, likely because I'm not holding them to some incredibly high standard heavily based upon personal opinions.

Ausgirl

In BW I adore each of the starters first stages but I dispised each of the final evolutions but mainly because I thought that they lacked creativity. I mean look at Oshawott he would have made a cool water/fighting type.

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
Bulbasaur:
It's okay. I'm a bit iffy on Venasaur's bulky and large appearance it gains in the sprites, making it difficult to draw, but I still love it.
Charmander:
Purrfectly fine!
Squirtle:
Purrfectly fine!
All of Johto:
Purrfectly fine!
Treecko:
It's alright. It's pure Grass-type, that's fine. It looks awesome in all three forms, and it's pretty strong. It had a major downfall though, because of it's good Physical Attack, where in 3rd gen all Grass-type moves are Special.
Torchic:
It's quite alright. It had the first Fire/Fighting starter, which, like the other two, started as a pure Fire-type. It's cute and loveable, and Blaziken is cool and stuff. I like it. Though all Fire-type moves are Special in this generation, making it more reliable on Fighting-type unless it has a +Special nature.
Mudkip:
Purrfectly fine!
Turtwig:
It's pretty cool. It made a Grass/Ground-type. And it's pretty darn strong. I like it, and it's probably the only one I really want to use, because of how much I've used Piplup's line.
Chimchar:
Physical beast. Amazing Physical Attack, but it's Defense doesn't hold a candle. Also is a Fire/Fighting-type...again. Good for a sweep, I guess.
Piplup:
It's...pretty good I guess. A Water/Steel-type once it's evolution is done. 4x weak to Electric, but it's a bad idea to fight a Water-type against an Electric-type anyways.
Snivy:
Okay...I guess. Quite a bit like Treecko, if my understanding is right. It's fine. I think.
Tepig:
Adorable. So adorable. But...Fire/Fighting-type. It's not even that good compared to Torchic and Chimchar. Emboar is kind of ugly too...
Oshawott:
So awesome and so cute. Samurott is kind of ugly in my opinion, so I would possibly keep mine a Dewott.

Yep. Sorry guys.