• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Disappointment In Starter Evolution?

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
Honestly, why the Bayleaf and Meganium hate? Okay, they are not exactly masculine powerhouses, but they are adorable defensive-supportive happy dinosaurs. Is it really that bad?

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
disappointed in starters that i can't always use such as piplup family and turtwig. slow and easily beaten in speed battle.

Yuphie

Novice Shiny Hunter
Kanto - I like all of the starters and evolutions, every time i pick up my copy of Red/Leafgreen i still find it the hardest choice to decide between the three.

Johto - Starters weren't too bad either, love the Chikorita line, Totodile line i originally didn't like (with the exception of Totodile) but it's grown on me after using it a few times, and Cyndaquil line is fine too.

Hoenn - Torchic line is my favourite, i like Mudkip + Swampert, but not Marstomp, and i really dislike the Treecko line, i think i used Treecko once, and although it wasn't a bad Pokémon, i never chose it again.

Sinnoh - I liked Piplup, don't like Prinplup, and Empoleon is "ok", not great, but not terrible, don't like the Chimchar line at all, and love the Turtwig line.

Unova - Probably my least favourite for starter designs, at the beginning it's always a case of who do i chose for now..since there is always a Pokémon i like more to replace them with. Normally always end up chosing Tepig to start with, even though i dislike both it's evolutions.

Prof. Mangrove

Rain Dancer
Blastoise was the reason I picked up pokemon blue, cos I wanted the version with the tortoise with cannons on it.

To be honest I never really experienced evolution disappointment until the 4th/5th generation. Its not that the designs are bad, its just that you get some really good artwork floating around and you think wouldn't it be awesome if they looked like that. The official designs grow on me eventually, but they disappoint at first.

I'm more disappointed with the typings honestly, I like when they try something new and 5th gen brought a lot of new combinations into play. I was really hoping samurott would be a water/fighting type and was very disappointed when we got a pure water/grass types and yet another fire/fighting starter.

lava172

Free Spirit
personally, i loved EVERY pokemon evo, prevo and midevo in the first gen. in the second meganium didnt look male despite it being usually male, in third gen, swampert was weird, fourth gen i didn't really like torterra, and in fifth gen i HATED emboar even tho he was strong in game. but i love samurott and serperior.

ConfusedEevee

Time Gear Thief
i absolutely love totodile, but i dont like his evolution chain that much. i dislike all of the 5th gen starters ecxpt for samrott.

startmirca

The disapointments for me are Wartortle , Venusaur , Croconaw , Meganium , Marshtomp , Combusken , all 3 middle-starter forms from Sinnoh they are all *** IMO , Pignite and Emboar .

Samurott was the only fully-evovlved water starter I didn't like , then it grew on me and I like it now , still like Swampert and Empoleon better. So I like all Water-starters.

Emboar , on the other hand , was the 1st fully-evolved Fire-starter I have ever HATED . AND STILL IS !!

Larry

I think the Unova starters look badass up until they evolve into their final form.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Snivy and Serperior look amazing, Servine not so much.

Tepig and Oshawott are cute, but after that, they just get weirder.

paracelsus

I was disappointed by pretty much all of the grass starters except for bulbasaur or sceptile. (sceptile was a boss)

-Nator-

Best Starter Evolutions: Charizard, Feraligatr, Blaziken, Infernape, Serperior

Worst: Venusaur (he's not bad, I'm just saying if I had to choose). Meganium, Swampert, Torterra, Emboar

yeminied

The starters are usually very well designed and of superb quality.

However Gen V let me down.

The base stage starters are great. Snivy is my favourite, but Tepig and Oshawott are both very good in their own right.

I do not like Servine. There is nothing special about it and to me looks like it was made because they couldn't think of anything else to stretch Snivy into a three stage line.

Serperior is good. I very much like how it's a snake and even based on the serpent from the Garden of Eden, sneaky little snake she is.

Pignite, meh, it's ok. I'm neither here nor there about it. Though I would prefer Tepig stayed quadraped.

Emboar, yuk. Don't really like this one. It seems really busy and almost too fat to walk on it's stubby feet. I really feel like they could have done a much better job out of Tepig's evolutions.

I like Dewott a lot, definitely my favourite Gen V middle evolution. The colours could have been better in my eye but otherwise I very well crafted Pokémon, I couldn't ask for any more.

Samurott is just, I don't like it. GameFreak pretty much admitted they had no idea what Oshawott's evolutions should look like which is what gave us Samurott. It makes no sense for Dewott to go quadraped and it looks nothing like Oshawott or Dewott, apart from the colour. Also, I have no idea how it gets around on those weird looking legs.

InsaneStar7

Technophile Trainer
My favorite starter lines are the Torchic line, Cyndaquil line, Treecko line, and the Snivy line. They have cooler designs. I'm okay with the other starters since I'm neutral with most of them, some got me interested like the Squirtle line and the Chimchar line except the ones that got me disappointed are:

Tepig Line: Tepig is kinda quite all right me, but the evolutions got me down for being another Fire/Fighting in a row, especially Emboar.

Poor Emboar, that guy gets a hateful in the fandom for being the 3rd Fire/Fighting in a row.

Piplup line: The same reason as the Tepig line. Piplup is fine, but I never liked Prinplup and Empoleon. They just look weird IMO.

Mudkip line: I never liked this line. Especially Marshtomp, looks odd.

Specialbeamcanon

SUCH PERFECTION
Samurott is just, I don't like it. GameFreak pretty much admitted they had no idea what Oshawott's evolutions should look like which is what gave us Samurott. It makes no sense for Dewott to go quadraped
Whats wrong with that? Nidorino is quad and he turns biped. Its like the opposite except nobody complains about them.
and it looks nothing like Oshawott or Dewott, apart from the colour. Also, I have no idea how it gets around on those weird looking legs.
Your're incorrect with all of this. Samurott does infact resemble its pre evos if you look deeper at it. And its not just its colour, its white mustache was the whiskers as Dewott. He also has the same nose color as Dewott and gets more shells for its leg armor like samurai armor. And one more thing, the pointed top leg armor becomes swords which was once Dewott's two fighting shells. Now, Im not trying to shove this info down your throat, but I'm just telling you facts that your incorrect.

Serperior is King

For some reason i think Bayleef and Grovyle look better than Meganium and Sceptile, now if they had evolved into something remotely the same, i would like them

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
Whats wrong with that? Nidorino is quad and he turns biped. Its like the opposite except nobody complains about them.

Your're incorrect with all of this. Samurott does infact resemble its pre evos if you look deeper at it. And its not just its colour, its white mustache was the whiskers as Dewott. He also has the same nose color as Dewott and gets more shells for its leg armor like samurai armor. And one more thing, the pointed top leg armor becomes swords which was once Dewott's two fighting shells. Now, Im not trying to shove this info down your throat, but I'm just telling you facts that your incorrect.
In the science of evolution, going bipedal is a step forward, so Samurott going quadruped doesn't make much sense. With that said though, this isn't the first time this happens. Snorunt loses all it's limbs when evolving to Glalie.

I think he color change is the odd thing here. It is a bit too acute. Nevertheless, i still like Samurott. It is awesome.

freakyboy05

Swing the bat
The fact that we got yet another fire/fighting starter -_-

kyogreblue3

take a byte
No. I've always liked the starter I picked.

I will admit, at first, I wasn't very happy with Oshawott or Tepig's designs, more so Tepig. But it grew on me and now Emboar is definitely my favorite starter evolution.

Same here.

I always pick the Fire-type starter, tho, because I have this huge obsession with them, so I'm rarely ever disappointed in their evolutions.

It happened only twice, with Tepig (I somewhat hate Emboar) and Torchic (I like Blaziken better).