• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Disappointment In Starter Evolution?

AmericanPi

Write on
Umm... no. Middle Evolutions are cool. Deal with it. ;)

But on a more serious note, I used to be disappointed with starter evolutions - Venusaur, Blaziken, and Emboar were all hideous to me at first - but then I thought, hey, cute things get less cute as they grow up. Take people, for example...

Simipour

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Umm... no. Middle Evolutions are cool. Deal with it. ;)

Some are, but I can only think of 1, maybe 2 I like the best from the line.(Definatelty grovlye, maybe ivysaur.) Ad some are only decent because their line overall is that damn good.(Charmeleon in Charizard line) Though I will admit the Dark Charmeleon pokemon card is badass as hell.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
only thing that disappointed me about the starters was Emboar being fire/fighting and Samurott not being Water/fighting.

I really have to agree with that. They also could have made emboar into some other type like fire ground and Serperior into a Grass steel type(giving it a chance to compete againest Ferrothorn.)

I remember being really pumped about Piplup. It was the cutest of the 4th gen starters, and I wanted one. I thought Turtwig was kinda ugly, and Chimchar did not please me. But when they started evolving, my feelings reversed. Piplup's evolution line is one of the biggest disappointments of all time, I must say. Torterra ended up being my favorite final evo.

I also wasn't too thrilled about Samurott. I had really been pulling for a bipedal Fighting evo, but we only got some of that.

rocky505

All the Unova starters had a reason for disappointing me.

Serperior: God awful movepool
Emboar: Being part fighting
Samurott: Not being part fighting.

However since Samurott had the less disappointing thing he is my favorite.

Becoming

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
Oh, I was super disappointed with Samurotten. I thoughts Oshawott would evolve into something cool, and get a second type (probably fighting) . . . but NO, it had to evolve into a sea unicorn . . . :(

G50

No longer posting
Pignite really disappointed me... Grotle and Torterra's designs to me are over the top.

Briankelly130

I think every generation has that one starter that evolves into something unappealling, with the exception of Gen. 1, maybe because of Nostalgia but I always thought all three of them worked. Gen. 2 had Feraligator, Gen. 3 had Sceptile, Gen. 4 had Torterra I guess, not as bad though and Gen. 5 had Emboar. I guess I would have to pick Emboar as my least favourite if only because it doesn't look appealling to me and I was hoping for a Fire/Dark type.

Invisiblade97

The only starter evolutions I can say I was disappointed by are Croconaw, Feraligatr, Meganium, and Pignite. Totodile looks cool, but its evos are kinda ugly. Meganium looks over-flowery, and Pignite looks like a sumo wrestler pig thing. Most of the others I'm fine with though. However, it would've been nice to see Samurott as a Water/Fighting type, Emboar as a Fire/Dark type, and Serperior could've possibly been a Grass/Ground type, or even just a Grass/Poison type. (It's a SNAKE for crying out loud!)

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
I was dissapointed with the evos and the stats. I would have chose snivy the first go around but it isn't that strong so I chose oshawot.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Starter Pokemon evolutions are pretty tough IMO. They start out as cute creatures, and in most cases become Pokemon you don't want to make angry. Who wouldn't want a Feraligatr or a Charizard on their team? You gotta raise something that starts out cute though to get one.

The only exception to tough-looking final forms is Meganium, who remains rather docile throughout its life.

In short, I like the evolutions of starter Pokemon, especially final evolutions.

Seiryu

Resident dragon
Starter forms I've been disappointed with? ...eh, I can't think of any, really. Probably the closest I've come to "dislike" is with the Tepig line.

Like, it is unfortunate that they went with the Fire/Fighting combo for the third time in a row. The previous two generations, it felt like it was more for early-game balance than anything--y'know, with both Torchic and Chimchar evolving the earliest at level 14 and gaining their secondary typing (and first Fighting-type move) so they'd have an advantage against the Rock-type first gyms. (It's the same reason they've had Charmander learn Metal Claw early on since Gen 3, actually.) And since we obviously didn't have to deal with that this gen, that type combo on a starter feels like a bit of a relic.
At the same time, though, it kind of...fits, somewhat, once you learn a bit about its inspiration: specifically, that it was apparently inspired by one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature, Journey to the West. Fun fact: the Chimchar line (or at least Infernape) was borrowed from the same source; Chimmy's line was apparently inspired by the monkey character Sun Wukong, and Tepig's line (or at least Emboar) by the pig-looking Zhu Baije. From what I know, both characters were very much martial artists, thus justifying the Fighting-type on both pokemon lines. For me, that kind of thing's pretty cool, and the knowledge helped mitigate my initial disappointment with the type combo.

So yeah, even with that, I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, per se. Really, my "dislike"--more like indifference--towards the Tepig line comes mostly from the fact that I'm just not that big a fan of pigs as much of anything other than a food source.

I still plan on using one in-game eventually, though. Who knows; maybe it'll grow on me through gameplay. I mean, hey, it happened with both Swampert and Infernape, so why not?

Specialbeamcanon

SUCH PERFECTION
The only starter evolutions I can say I was disappointed by are Croconaw, Feraligatr, Meganium, and Pignite. Totodile looks cool, but its evos are kinda ugly. Meganium looks over-flowery, and Pignite looks like a sumo wrestler pig thing. Most of the others I'm fine with though. However, it would've been nice to see Samurott as a Water/Fighting type, Emboar as a Fire/Dark type, and Serperior could've possibly been a Grass/Ground type, or even just a Grass/Poison type. (It's a SNAKE for crying out loud!)
Grass snakes are not poisonous you know. But I do agree with yea.

Qymaen

Petals and Leaves
I was disappointed with the starters in Sinnoh, but the final evos for the Unova starters aren't my favorites.

ZFXZFX

Seriously? I LOVED Emboar but Tepig and the second one are ugly as hell. Eww...

Lets see... I didn't like Snivy or Oshawott that much, didn't like Dewott but I didn't mind Samurott. I liked the last two evolutions of Snivy though. Loved Kanto & Johto starters, Like Treecko & Torchic line but not as much Mudkip. I only like the Turtwig line for Sinnoh though.

I really did not like piplup when I first saw it. I just happen to dislike penguins. I did however like its final form, Empoleon, as it does look pretty cool. The only other starter I've had any dislike for was Tepig. In Tepigs case I only like the shiny sprite of Emboar. If it is not shiny I neither like nor use Tepig. When I last chose it as my starter I ended up replacing it with a Darumaka.