• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Discuss Favorite Video Game Villains (Spoilers of course)

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

kLnUKw1.png

Discuss favorite villains of video games!

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
Well, I'll think I would start this with N from Black and White.
200px-Black_2_White_2_N.png

Having a strong bond with Pokémon since a very early age, N was raised by Ghetsis (is he N's real father?) thus was isolated from the outside world. He was eventually crowned king near his teenager times, and grew up with the ability to hear a Pokémon's "voice". When you first meet him, he is quite shocked to hear that your Starter "loves you, and don't want to leave you", as he says straight before the end credits. Technically, N starts as a villain, but he eventually becomes good after you defeat Ghetsis and he was realizing his mistakes. After N fled, Colress becomes the new head of Team Plasma, despite Colress hating Team Plasma and Ghetsis (at least in the GAMES, not the manga/anime)... but is N really gone forever? (Don't remember B2W2's events quite much...)

SBaby

Dungeon Master
If we're talking about video games in general, I have to go with Kefka.

While he really doesn't have much in terms of motivation to his actions, being categorically insane due to a botched Magitek experiment, he is still a great villain for a few reasons.

First of all, he has a great personality. He's evil, he knows he's evil, and he just has a good time being evil. He's kind of like if the Joker gained godlike powers. Many villains have the issue of not having much in terms of personality. Kefka does not have that problem. Nearly every line he says is quotable. Not only that, but the larger sprites they use in FFVI mean the characters can be more expressive than in FF games that came before VI. Kefka exemplifies that fact.

Second reason, the famous laugh. Everyone who's played FFVI remembers the laugh. It's etched into our brains, to the point where we remember exactly how it sounds. Every time you heard that laugh, you knew things were about to go south for the heroes.

Finally, and most importantly, he's probably the most successful villain in the entire series (possibly in ANY JRPG). Most villains have the goal of either conquering the game's world, or destroying it. Kefka is a villain that manages to do both, and attain godlike powers, ruling the world from atop a tower of debris, FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR before you stop him!

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
One of my favorite video game villains would have to be Kane from Command and Conquer played by actor Joe Kucan. He's the charismatic and enigmatic leader of the Brotherhood of Nod who's obsessed with the alien substance known as Tiberium. Joe Kucan is the actor who plays him was inducted into the Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition 2008 as the longest recurring actor in any video game franchise to date for his portrayal of Kane.

Appearances:
Command & Conquer or Tiberian Dawn (1995)
Red Alert 1 (1996)
Tiberian Sun (1999) + Firestorm Expansion (2000)
Tiberium Wars (2007) + Kane's Wrath Expansion (2008)
Tiberian Twilight (2010)

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Zinyak from Saints Row IV.
Much as I'm not a fan of the direction the series went after The Third, IV is a decent game and the antagonist is the best one in the series. He actually means what he says:
"Escape and I'll blow up your planet!"
*Boss escapes*
Zinyak: *blows up earth*
Boss: *surprised Pikachu*

And he's got this hateful charm about him. You love him but you also can't wait to get your revenge at the same time!

And then you have Dmitri Rascolov in GTA IV. MAN did they make you really feel how Niko felt about that guy, I always pick Revenge as I just can't see Niko doing Deal after everything Rascolov did to him and his friends(Plus it's basically hinted that Roman is still around in V so... Deal's not canon)
And Dutch from the Red Dead Redemption franchise

Ghetsis, Bowser, Fawful and Eggman are also my favorites.

Honorable mentions: Jack of Blades from Fable, Alduin from Skyrim, Kilbane/Dane Vogel/Maero/Sunshine from Saints Row, Big Smoke and Tenpenny from GTA

TornadoAdvisory

The Imminent Storm
I'll talk about two here.

Ghetsis from Pokémon Black/White as a villain sticks out for me, because he was one of the few villains in a mainline Pokémon game that felt so good to beat down because of all the crap he did to N and his general sociopathy. Despite his ridiculous attire before the sequels, he felt genuinely threatening with a powerful team that could catch anybody off-guard.

Other than maybe Giovanni, hardly any villains in a mainline Pokémon game felt like anything beyond a nuisance. For example, while villains such as Cyrus or Archie/Maxie certainly had dangerous plans, I never felt overly satisfied when I beat them because they either had reasons for their actions and/or redeeming qualities. Ghetsis on the other hand? He treats N like a tool for his own goals and attempts to freeze solid/outright kill the player character in the sequels because he's just that unhinged; let us not forget what he did to Lillie in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon.

The other one I'll mention is The Conductor from A Hat in Time. He's more of an jerk with a gigantic ego than anything, but his design, dialogue, and general mannerisms certainly make him one of the most memorable characters in the game. It also helps that chapter he shows up in is probably my personal favorite.

Last edited:

Siddhar

Transcend
Spoilers for Trails of Cold Steel:
Crow Armbrust, also the man in my current avatar. He was a classmate, a great friend, and supported the protagonist's team throughout and lent a helping hand in tough fights too. He organised and enthusiastically trained the squad for a music performance.
Well, he was a PARTY MEMBER. I built a fair number of teams around him. I did depend upon him, and really loved his attitude, his stats, his skills.......but underneath this, he was the leader of a terrorist group, the Imperial Liberation Front, with the alias "C". It was pretty impossible, considering a few scenes, where both C and Crow were "present", but the logic behind, though spot-on, did little to lift my denial and shock.
Falcom covered their tracks very well, as few would suspect a party member who'd go with you to the final trials to be THE villain.

But of course, he is good at heart, and still remains a friend of good ol' class VII.

Aaaaaand N too, of course. I mean, a tragic yet beautiful childhood, a strong goal with solid determination. he as the voice of suffering Pokemon, and was an amazing character overall.

Egil from Xenoblade Chronicles.

When it comes to video game villains, some of my favorites include
Darth Malak from Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Harbinger from Mass Effect
Dracula from Castlevania
Handsome Jack from Borderlands
Prophet of Truth from Halo
M.Bison from Street Fighter
Cackletta from Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
Chaos from Final Fantasy
Ganondorf from Legend of Zelda
Shao Kahn from Mortal Kombat

Midnite♪

Distant Stargazer
Another Final Fantasy villain, but a certain villain from Final Fantasy XIV really moved me. (Be warned as I'll be talking pretty in depth about the game's story in the spoiler tags.)

Solus zos Galvus, moreover known as Emet-Selch, is that villain for me.

tgAJKaD.png

At first, Emet-Selch seems like your typical want-to-destroy-and-rebuild-the-world kind of villain like what the Ascians were built up to be before. However, over time, you learn that he's had a life just like everyone else, and he really misses his kind and just wants to go home again. Given, his methods are mortally dubious, but you can really feel his pain. Even with his ideals conflicting with the protagonist's, he still becomes close to you and gives you the time of day to talk with. It accumulates in the end with a grand final battle against him, and how it truly feels like the victor is the hero of the story, and the loser, its villain. Before that, he had also recognized you as a reincarnation of a former friend of his.

Even when defeated, he accepts his loss, and he simply requests of you, "Remember us. Remember that we once lived." When the WoL/WoD nods and honors that request, Emet-Selch's final moments are coming to terms with it all, and as he dies, he does so with a genuine smile. It's a bittersweet victory, but still ultimately what you had to do in the end.

Emet-Selch also has a beyond-the-grave moment in the most recent patch, when facing Elidibus. When Elidibus banishes you to the void, Emet-Selch's memory appears and saves you, presumably because he knows his depature would weigh heavily on Elidibus, and he wants to end Elidibus' suffering, and also because he recognized you as his friend.

Last edited:

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Well I've already discussed at in considerable length how much I love Akechi from Persona 5 in the last iteration of this thread, so uh...I don't feel like saying it again or copy-pasting it. I will add though that as time goes on, I just love Akechi's character more and more as I end up analyzing and realizing the reasons why I like him and also making constant comparisons to him to other characters.

So for now I am going to mention the other infamous villain from Persona 5, Suguru Kamoshida, the first major villain of the game. And he does his role well. No, he's not sympathetic. No, his character isn't deep. But he gives you a very good reason to hate him, inflicting harm on Ryuji and the volleyball team, trying to coerce Ann to have sex with him and, well, what happened with Shiho (including what they did in his new boss fight in Royal OH MY GOSH I DIDN'T THINK I COULD HATE KAMOSHIDA EVEN MORE), as well as being a dangerous person from said mentioning of Ryuji getting hurt, with the power to ruin the lives of Joker and his friends and his Shadow not something to take lightly. And thus beating him is quite the catharsis.