• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Discussion on the current Pokemon Dub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelatios*

Hey guys, haven't been here in ages. I think after 10 years since the switch, and now that the new voice actors have been on longer than the old ones, we know better than to repeat “dramatic” rhetoric between particular sides of the fandom…it’s time we talked realistically about anime dubs.

Why do dubs “suck”? Why do they have to suck, and why doesn’t anyone do anything about it? I don’t care who said what about so and so company or actor; you know what I mean folks, there’s no beating around the bush. I hear about so many people who just flat out refuse dubs and go subs only; isn’t it time that behavior was taken seriously in the dubbing industry? Really, is it so bad that so many of us demand high standards?

What has to change to make the environment more competitive, cost-effective, high quality, and not just a part-time, hard-*** job hunt for VA’s? What else needs to happen so that the creators of dubs can have meaningful communication with fans?

I agree with what everyone else here; I don’t want to see people crying about so called “flame wars”. Nobody is “right/wrong”. And for this to be followed by policing in the same old anticipatory fashion to avoid said “flame wars” would be a shame. Seriously, it’s time to talk about how we can have better dubs and maybe even do something about it, and find others who are also doing something for once.

Franchise owners, licensors, dubbers...get your friggin' act together. Don't do business like last century. Alright. There, I've said my piece.

gokaiblue

^
I think we may just need to give anime the respect we give our cartoons, perhaps. Though most dubs nowadays are goid, but there are some exceptions (the current Pokémon dub being one of them ).

Artherax123

Member Of SOVA
^
I think we may just need to give anime the respect we give our cartoons, perhaps. Though most dubs nowadays are goid, but there are some exceptions (the current Pokémon dub being one of them ).

that's fine and all but it's not the direction at this point they've had a decade it's honestly time for a change- sorry"
Ok
"I know no other Series in history that has had this kind of incompetence in voice acting for so long"

Hilda

I have a MUCH bigger agenda that seems like a such a long shot and very unlikely but... I wish to redub everything from season 9 onward! And they don't need to fire the current cast. This can be a both sides win solution. You follow?

That will be a bit costly and a waste of time for the older cast. I believe recasting them and leaving the ones before as they are. Why should they stick with the older episodes when the other cast gets to work on new ones?

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
TPCi will NOT change the dub to suit a bunch of anonymous internet accounts' operators..can people ever learn this? Unless you show up off the internet, outside of your echo chambers, house and county/state/country at the dubbing agency headquarters's front doorstep EN MASSE and show REAL numbers there as HUMAN PROTESTORS, you won't get anything done regarding what you want. But that would require EFFORT, TIME and MONEY. Something most account operators aren't willing to spend in order to get their childhood..I mean, VA quality, back.

Tinfoil hats, change . org, parents who want the companies to parent for them, no usage of effort/time/money, and hurt childhoods...welcome to the Internet.

Artherax123

Member Of SOVA
TPCi will NOT change the dub to suit a bunch of anonymous internet accounts' operators..can people ever learn this? Unless you show up off the internet, outside of your echo chambers, house and county/state/country at the dubbing agency headquarters's front doorstep EN MASSE and show REAL numbers there as HUMAN PROTESTORS, you won't get anything done regarding what you want. But that would require EFFORT, TIME and MONEY. Something most account operators aren't willing to spend in order to get their childhood..I mean, VA quality, back.

Tinfoil hats, change . org, parents who want the companies to parent for them, no usage of effort/time/money, and hurt childhoods...welcome to the Internet.

TPCi CAN change the dub to suit a bunch of FANS interests', though, and if asked most would say they prefer the 4Kids cast..can people ever learn this? Unless you show up off the internet, outside of your echo chamber, no one's going to take you any more seriously than anyone else. Yes, there are already steps being made to protest TPCi: Brazil, the US, and Mexico have united to get all casts back to the Series, and surveys will be taken in person, so that step is already beginning. Also, it has nothing to do with "childhood" as you call it, considering most of the fandom also prefers the Origins actors over the TPCi Anime ones, ourselves included in that group.

Negative nancies, people who are complacement with awful dubbing despite it being so low budget, letting an alleged rapist like Tom Wayland direct their dub for 7 years, and hurt Natochenny fans...welcome to the Internet.

tommytoe

TPCI could change the dub and/or cast but there's clearly no need to. The current voice actors have done more episodes than the original cast at this point and as far as I know, the show is still doing all right as far as ratings go. If the voice actor switch caused any significant ratings drop, the show has obviously recovered from it by now, otherwise TPCI would have either re-hired the old VAs or hired some new actors.

Artherax123

Member Of SOVA
TPCI could change the dub and/or cast but there's clearly no need to. The current voice actors have done more episodes than the original cast at this point and as far as I know, the show is still doing all right as far as ratings go. If the voice actor switch caused any significant ratings drop, the show has obviously recovered from it by now, otherwise TPCI would have either re-hired the old VAs or hired some new actors.

I disagree: there's clearly a need for TPCi to change the dub and cast. The ratings for the Anime in BOTH Japan and the US are at an all time low, and in addition to that, Cartoon Network is cutting scenes out of the Diancie and Hoopa films. Unlike with Zoroark, TPCi is refusing to force CN to make changes, and lied that they would remove the Pokemon dub from there if so. In addition, only Ash and the Rockets have had the current voice actors who have done more episodes than the original cast at this point, and you'd be wrong about the show doing as well as it used to as far as ratings go- if this keeps up, the dub may go off the air entirely at the rate things are going. Look back: when the TPCi dub first hit airwaves on CN, they'd advertise it a lot in BF/early DP. By late DP, it would reduce to 3 commercials, then to 2 every BW season, and now maybe 1 commercial every year for XY. The voice actor switch caused a significant drop, and the show hasn't recovered at all- quite the contrary. TPCi and DuArt are producing the Anime dub on a very low and piss poor budget, to be frank, look at the credits of the Hoopa film and a bunch of the actors are fresh off the street, to be blunt

Last edited:

DS0308

<--- Actually me
- To take the tin-foil hat approach of the OP, how do I not know the people campaigning here for the original cast are part of that cast themselves? Do I smell corruption? Unprecedented discovery.

- Also these threads get closed because of how toxic they are, not because of corruption of moderators. That's such a stupid thing to say.

- The entire premise of these campaigns, petitions, etc. is just downright ridiculous. It's so damn inconsequential to our daily lives, it's a dub of Pokemon for ****'s sake. Grow up. Seriously. You liked the old voice cast better? Great. That's it. End it there. Stop whining that things changed, that's life. What was this I read about protecting it for their children's sake? Do you even understand what you're saying and just how plain absurd that sounds?

- Also the lack of people properly understanding phanpycross' posts is really disturbing and undermines any credibility.

But no, I said the opposite of what you think, so I must be corrupt. Oh no, I'm going to get reported, whatever shall I doooooooooo. /s (Because I have to make it obvious)

EDIT: Oh and some of the "supporting evidence" to change the dub has been laughable.

Artherax123

Member Of SOVA
We're a fan campaign called SOVA that's been around since 2006 defending the actors we know and love to get them back on the show. Not a single actor is a member of our group, nor are we asking them to be one. It's of our own accord and we are doing so to get back the English cast we feel would do the Pokemon Anime the most justice in the dub. Furthermore, who is to say you're not a TPCi actor or representative using this logic?

- That's an opinion, not a fact, and quite frankly it's stupid to suggest that seeing as Bulbagarden literally put a VA discussion ban on their site for years to silence freedom of speech about the dub's quality.

- The entire premise of disparaging these campaigns, petitions, etc. is just downright ridiculous. It's so consequential to the success of the Pokemon English dub. Grow up and respect people's concerns. Seriously. Stop whining that people want to see changes. No one said that: it is to improve the quality so that kids can enjoy what we once enjoyed.

- The lack of you properly understanding phanpycross' CAPS lock posts as an immature way to express his opinion undermines your credibility, if anything.

But no, I said the opposite of what you think, so I must be corrupt. Oh no, I'm going to get reported, whatever shall I do? Your double standard works both ways."

Oh, and it's not laughable, it's plain as day and there for all to see. Diminishing its worth is laughable, like you are."

Last edited:

Artherax123

Member Of SOVA
I'm sorry, but this thread need to close. It's gotten out of control. People can like the dub if they want to. Seriously.

I'm sorry, but this thread needs to stay open, so that anyone like you or me can exercise freedom of speech. People can like OR dislike the dub if they want to. Seriously

Hilda

I'm sorry, but this thread need to close. It's gotten out of control. People can like the dub if they want to. Seriously.

You find it in others to like the dub, but you don't find it in others to dislike the dub.

People can discuss things. This is a FORUM.
It's not about people simply liking or disliking the dub. You seriously did not understand squat from this topic to even say such a thing.

You're basically doing the equivalent of going into a restaurant and yelling at people for eating food that you don't like.

tommytoe

I disagree: there's clearly a need for TPCi to change the dub and cast. The ratings for the Anime in BOTH Japan and the US are at an all time low
I don't know how much of that is due to the VA change though. Best Wishes made some pretty divisive changes that turned a lot of people off for instance.

In addition, only Ash and the Rockets have had the current voice actors who have done more episodes than the original cast at this point
True, but Ash and the TRio are the only characters that have stayed on the show constantly since the voice actor switch. Brock, Misty and the rest haven't been on the show for years now and unless there's some sort of big reunion for the 20th anniversary, they'll likely never come back.

I'm sorry, but this thread needs to stay open, so that anyone like you or me can exercise freedom of speech. People can like OR dislike the dub if they want to. Seriously
It's not up to me but I think the thread is fine at the moment. Threads criticizing the dub don't get locked unless they're just "THE DUB IS THE WORST THING EVAH!!!! BRING BACK THE OLD CAST NAO!!!!" Right now, there's reasonable discussion on both sides.

Artherax123

Member Of SOVA
I don't know how much of that is due to the VA change though. Best Wishes made some pretty divisive changes that turned a lot of people off for instance.

True, but Ash and the TRio are the only characters that have stayed on the show constantly since the voice actor switch. Brock, Misty and the rest haven't been on the show for years now and unless there's some sort of big reunion for the 20th anniversary, they'll likely never come back.

It's not up to me but I think the thread is fine at the moment. Threads criticizing the dub don't get locked unless they're just "THE DUB IS THE WORST THING EVAH!!!! BRING BACK THE OLD CAST NAO!!!!" Right now, there's reasonable discussion on both sides.

I'd wager a significant portion of that is due to the VA change, to be blunt. Although, I will admit that BW did also turn away its fair share of viewers itself. There are also Professor Oak, Giovanni, and Delia Ketchum, though, all of whom had their 4Kids voices longer than their TPCi ones. We're aware of that, but it doesn't necessarily mean they may not make cameos in the future. Thank you very much for giving us a chance to make our case, and allow everyone regardless, to express their opinions freely: hopefully, we'll be able to continue said discussion in this forum.

Last edited:

FlorgesPower2

Anime fanatic
The originals, but TPCI clearly has no interest in giving them their old jobs back, so it's a lost cause.

The original cast probably doesn't even want their old roles back, it's been a decade i'm sure they've moved on to better things.

Artherax123

Member Of SOVA
Last edited:

Hilda

Their willingness to return after being put outside the door without any reason shows their passion towards it. Something the current dub seriously lacks.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Maybe it's it possible that everyone complaining is just reeking in nostalgia. Did you think that the dub isn't any better now and you just want the old voices back? Plus why does it matter anyway? They don't even have old characters in anyway now besides Ash, TRio, and then for like or two episodes per series Delia and Oak. All the other characters are new. So just deal with ash and TRio and it's fine.

Their willingness to return after being put outside the door without any reason shows their passion towards it. Something the current dub seriously lacks.

There was a reason...their contracts. If you forced the current ones out, that would be for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.