• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Discussion Topic: Layouts

Virtual Headache

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
HTML:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>The Pokémon Forest! Created By XD375!</title>
<style type="text/css">
body {
color:#000000;
font-family:verdana, sans-serif;
font-size:10pt;
background:#FFFFFF;
margin:0;
padding:0;
background-image: url(http://www.freewebs.com/xd375/background.bmp);
}
That's just the beginning, not a complete page.

AgentChronon

I <3 Buoysel
It occurs to me that maybe we should go back to discussing layouts.

Faltzer's is awesome. ^__^

Magma Leader Maxie

Non caedor caedo
And XD375, don't use bitmap images on your site. They are massive files and take an awfully long time to load on pages that are received over a dial-up connection.

Use PNG or GIF instead for web graphics.

Last edited:

AgentChronon

I <3 Buoysel
Gif messes up in Paint, so use PNG. PNGs rule!

*Ra*

The power of the sun
Yo XD375 u said that u wrote
<body><body background="http://www.freewebs.com/xd375/background.bmp">
right, well im not sure but i dont think there should be a body tag then rite after that a body background tag. I believe it should just be <Body Background="http://www.freewebs.com/xd375/background.bmp"> and if that doesnt work, i have a feeling there is a problem with how u are getting the image onto the website. Maybe a small mistake like u forgot to add Url or something small and u didn't notice it, but i can't thhink of any mistakes.

Squall

blergh...!
I don't think anyone is patient enough to make you a layout. Just google for a free one/tutorial.

kevind23

DO NOT WANT!!
Well since this conversation dropped off the face of the earth I might as well attempt to revive it...

I prefer Web 2.0 layouts. While dark is nice and easy on the eyes, it gets old after a while and extremely annoying. Personally, I can't stand Serebii's layout...Oh how I would love to give this site a makeover ;)

Anyway, that's just me. Any other opinions out there, or is this forum just dead?

blueparukia

The Sexy Nerd
I do simple, to the point layouts with simple Ajax effects for my sites.Things that are easy to find your way around, and that nice PHP include() function for DHTML menus. I do quite a bit of complex coding in the Ajax/DHTML areas, but make the layout as simple as possible. I am not a big fan of Web 2.0 layouts, but am starting to get used to them.

BP

Charizard_Millky

Punk Rock > You
I have a question:

When you make a layout take up the whole screen, what happens to the background colour/image?

blueparukia

The Sexy Nerd
Well, generally the background image will continually repeat itself.

Though you can set background-repeat to repeat-x, repeat-y or none

BP

Charizard_Millky

Punk Rock > You
I know it will repeat but I'm wondering, would I be able to see it or not when the layout takes up the whole screen.

blueparukia

The Sexy Nerd
You mean when you but stuff on top of it? Well, solid objects will cover the background.

Divs are transparent by default, and any other elements (including divs) can be made transparent by using the filter markup in CSS.

I am not sure what you mean,

BP

Charizard_Millky

Punk Rock > You
I'm asking this:

If I make the layout cover the whole screen (like Serebii's) would I be able to see the background images (say a blue and red check pattern) or would I only be able to see the background colour of the left and right nav bars and the content?

blueparukia

The Sexy Nerd
I answered your question...

You will only be able to see background if the object on top of it is transparent.

Like Serebii, for example, the background is a shade of black, but the nav bars cover it up, though as the div containing the main content is transparent, you can see the black behind it.

BP

Charizard_Millky

Punk Rock > You
OK. Thanks. I think I got a little confused with what you said. Thanks!

Renneh

mehness, well I did give a more lengthy relpy but as I submitted, the forum decided to log me out.

Anyway, I love simplicity, the use of css with navigation, I don't like dark backgrounds as they hurt my eyes... therefore they must hurt everyone elses eyes. Simplicity is important because if you want to make something more bold then its easily done where as if everything is bold, nothing will stand out.

Use of CSS is a big thing for me actually.

Oh and neatness and cleanesss.. colours that work together.

And I like the layout to actually suit the purpose of the website and connect with the likely audience.

I'm a bit miserable as I haven't done any layouts in ages because of my exams XPP