• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Disguise Da Limit! (338)

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I think some people's comments and disappointements should be seen from the perspective that many have higher expectations for a Contest episode than a normal episode, and also that many were more let down by this episode because they liked the first part of the two parter so much.

The note about Focus Punch being ranged this time and thus not doing as much damage is a good one, especially since Focus Punch in general in the anime is quite a bit less powerful than in the games (since in the anime it works regardless of being hit or not at the end of the turn).

The problem with the super Skitty theory is that aside from this episode I don't recall Skitty ever doing anything to indicate it was a whole lot stronger than most Skitty with its experience level (having read spoilers for most episodes after this included), nor has anyone remarked on it being unusually powerful. It's certainly not Pikachu-level "special."

Anyway, I say unless there are new points to add we should all nurse our wounds, wait for the next episode and agree to disagree. No one's saying the episode had no good points after all, more that some were more bothered than others by certain aspects of it. Perhaps Drew's final remark settles things best. ^_^

Drew: "Well, just goes to show luck plays a part in any battle."

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I really, truly, enjoyed this episode. Seeing Jessie do so well without cheating, even if she didn't make it past round two, was superb. Hey, she even outscored the phantom! :D This episode had me eagerly awaiting the episode where she uses James's Chimecho in a contest (if you've seen the guide or pictures, you'll know why). This was definitely one of her best episodes. It was also great seeing May battle a tough opponent and win, even after a rough start.

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
I haven't seen the episode yet, so will stay out of the whole debate, but I do have a quick question to ask - did May ever find out that Drew had come to watch the tournament, or did he slip off before she could see him? Just curious.

V Faction

www.faction.com
Pokemon Fan said:
The problem with the super Skitty theory is that aside from this episode I don't recall Skitty ever doing anything to indicate it was a whole lot stronger than most Skitty with its experience level (having read spoilers for most episodes after this included), nor has anyone remarked on it being unusually powerful. It's certainly not Pikachu-level "special."

Maybe not directly stated in the Anime, but indirectly we've seen it definitely above average. It beat Ampharos (but honestly it looked poorly trained) and it caught on using Blizzard fairly quick, all at a remarkably low level. True though, after these series of events, we don't see much of Skitty any more, at least not to the level as we've been witnessing it now.

I am not sure it was this one (I think it was) that said the Dance like a Butterfree, Sting like a Beedrill one, but it is "FLOAT like a butterfly sting like a bee. WTF, get it right, damn you.
Go shoot yourself if you think Skitty should have made it to the finals over the Charizard, or for that matter anyone, it messed up on a Blizzard, and then juggled THREE balls slowly, WOW.
Jessie got screwed, She should have fought May, here is how the seeding works idiots in Japan who created this episode
1 vs 4
2 vs 3
Not 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 4, WHF is wrong with you idiots, you have soccer tournys over there, someone at TV Tokyo must have known how seeding works.

You could have said something about one of these, since the seeding and screwing up Ali's famous quote were the things that really ruined it for me.

And I only used the Lv as an example to say a much weaker Dusclops than a Skitty will still KO a Skitty quite easy with 2 HB's and a Focus Punch, I am well aware of the anime does not equal game for levels.

Chris

Old Coot
But that's the thing. It shouldn't matter if Focus Punch can KO a Skitty or not. Skitty and Delcatty have HORRIBLE defenses in the games. Game stats don't play much of a role in the anime. The anime's gone around this several times.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Edward Elric said:
But that's the thing. It shouldn't matter if Focus Punch can KO a Skitty or not. Skitty and Delcatty have HORRIBLE defenses in the games. Game stats don't play much of a role in the anime. The anime's gone around this several times.

It shouldn't, at least not to this degree.

Edward Elric said:

Not that much, Pikachu gets knocked out by big attacks, Gyarados and others are hard to take down, Dragonite is like a god. They keep it somewhat in like with the game. Not like they have Caterpie's who can beat anything or something like that.

Chris

Old Coot
Cloud Strife said:
Not like they have Caterpie's who can beat anything or something like that.
Someone sure forgot that a newly captured Caterpie was able to defeat TWO trained Poison Pokémon with String Shot and Tackle yet had a hard time against a Flying-type. ¬¬

Edward Elric said:
Someone sure forgot that a newly captured Caterpie was able to defeat TWO trained Poison Pokémon with String Shot and Tackle yet had a hard time against a Flying-type. ¬¬

TR have been beat by everything except Magikrap, so that does not count. Exactly, it could not beat Pidgeotto, I am not sure what you got confused there, but you did

Chris

Old Coot
Doesn't count? This was BEFORE the Rocket Gang became bumbling idiots who ALWAYS lose. Caterpie had not been trained yet, yet it beat two Poison-types (when Bug was weak to Poison at the time) that were trained well enough to beat Pidgeotto yet lost to Caterpie who had a hard time against Pidgeotto.

The point is that that event was the first time something so small pummeled Pokémon bigger and stronger than it and that Skitty against Dusclops shouldn't be some shocker that you're all making it out to be.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
String Shot had covered their bodies so that they couldn't defend themselves. Then Caterpie began running to build up speed and Tackled under them to sent them flying. He didn't knock them out but they couldn't baattle because they were covered in String Shot. Also, Caterpie was weriously worn out after the battle.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
The Big Al said:
String Shot had covered their bodies so that they couldn't defend themselves. Then Caterpie began running to build up speed and Tackled under them to sent them flying. He didn't knock them out but they couldn't baattle because they were covered in String Shot. Also, Caterpie was weriously worn out after the battle.
Well, of course, thats strategy for you. It was pretty weak when sent into battle, so it had to rely on some quick thinking to get it through, and it worked wonders.
After having Koffing impact its craium at that speed, I'm willing to bet that at least Ekans was Ko'd in that (awesome, awesome, AWESOME) battle. And of course, it most likely worked vice versa for Koffing~
Caterpie was seriously worn out before battle too. Fleeing for its very life and being headbutted by a Pidgeotto diving at full speed before impacting a tree with its head can't have done much for it~
*ahem* I needed to reply to a Caterpie-based comment as all...

As for the Contest match itself, I personally think it wasn't as good as it could have been.
I expected Skitty to feeze the Hyber Beams using its newly aqquired Blizzard, then slide along the bridge formed by the frozen beam attack, whilst launching a volley of Embers and Silver Winds via its Assist. If something like that would have happened, it would have been a whole lot better~ Even with the limited attacks Skitty has at this time, there was SO much the writers could've done with them. Shame really, but whats done is done I suppose. All the contest episodes after this are a lot better anyways~
As for Skitty's appeal in the first round. Well, I suppose juggling demonstrates coordination of the hand-eye kind or something, and thats what was so impressive about it? *shrugs* They could've had Skitty freeze the juggling balls to make it look prettier rather than just have it juggle x.x

~*Aurora Wish*~

I QUIT THIS FORUM!!!
I didn't like that flashback of Timmy's mom crying because the butler took away her Poocheyena. But the contest was great!

Akane

I thought this epsiode was great also. ^^ May did a great job at the end. At first she was losing, but she came back at top. Also I liked when it shows a flashback when Mrs. Grim was a kid. She got her Poocheyena taking away. I said to myself "That is why she didn't like Pokemon." I was wondering that. That was nice. But anyway May won another ribbon. So great.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I think a basic consensus here would be simply that the battle could have been MUCH better than it was. I don't think that many here would object to Skitty winning if it had done so in a bit more of a believable way, anime wise.

Take the Caterpie incident. For one thing it caught Ekans and Koffing completely off guard as they weren't expecting it to even defend itself. Secondly they didn't launch Poison attacks at it, just rushed at it madly. Thirdly, Caterpie took no more damage after its battle with Pidgeoto, it's likely it would have been beaten had a hit landed on it. Finally, they made it semi-clear Ash's Caterpie wasn't ordinary, the pokedex stating it was evolving more quickly than any Caterpie ever recorded before.

P.S. Though many seem to be neglecting my former point that Skitty was not hit directly by the Hyper Beams, they appeared to only graze it. Not to mention the Hyper Beams were quite small and weak looking.

S

Shiny May

a nice ep. the skitty vs dusclops contest battle was good imo. It was sad to see that May's score was kinda low (24. something or something like that!) Sad how she looked but I liked the expression on her face when she heard she was going to be in the finals.

Chris

Old Coot
Finally saw the episode in English. God, 4Kids must love finding things they need to edit in an episode that doesn't require edits. They changed the Pokéball on Kimimaro's pen into a red ball with white stripes..FOR NO REASON! XD