• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ditto theory.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
So, I heard an interesting theory awhile back and I figured I'd post about it. Naturally, we're NOT here to argue about what is and is not canon, so please save that for another topic. But I would like to hear what people think about this, since it really piqued my interest as somebody who has been a part of Pokemon since '95.

Every knows that Mewtwo is an altered clone of Mew. The theory is that Dittos are the many failed attempts at cloning Mew, and there are several things that I've found which makes this theory incredibly interesting.

In Yellow, Ditto was found in exclusively two places: Cinnabar Mansion and Cerulean Cave. The importance of both of those places is that they both pertain to either Mew and/or Mewtwo. Cinnabar Mansion is the place where the cloning of Mew took place, which finally succeeded in Mewtwo. Cerulean Cave is where Mewtwo resides in many of the games. Of course, Ditto showed up in other places in Red and Blue, but isn't it an odd coincidence that this is what it got changed to in a later game?

Additionally, both Mew and Ditto share various traits that further this theory.

First of all is their color. Both Mew and Ditto are pink in their normal form. From what I have been able to see, Ditto's Gold and Silver sprite is even the same exact color as Mew's as well. Additionally, Mew and Ditto both have the same color when they're Shiny as well: blue. Obviously this isn't really much to go on, but consider the rest and then come back to this and see if your opinion hasn't changed.

Next is that both Mew and Ditto are the only two Pokemon that have ever been able to learn the move Transform. You'd think that with four new generations since then, with nearly 500 more Pokemon, that you'd see at least one other that can learn Transform, and yet ... there hasn't been a single one. It's a move that has remained unique to both Mew and Ditto.

Also, Mew's base stats are 100 across the board. Ditto's base stats are 48 across the board. Of course, there are other Pokemon that have the same pattern, but how many of those were First Generation Pokemon? To my knowledge, Mew and Ditto are the only two First Gen Pokemon to have this base stat pattern. I could be wrong of course, but it's interesting to think about.

Finally comes something a bit more pseudo-sciency. Many of Mew's PokeDex entries say that Mew is the carrier of all the DNA codes for every Pokemon, hence why it's called the Ancestor Pokemon. Ditto can breed with nearly ANY Pokemon in the game, save for ones that are meant to be one-off, like Legendary Pokemon and babies. Anybody over the age of eight can tell you that DNA and Breeding go hand in hand, so it makes perfect sense that Ditto would have this ability if it were, indeed, a failed clone of Mew.

What do you think? Does this sound silly, or has your mind been blown?

(·-·)(o_O)

oh hai there
I've heard of this a few days ago. I believe that it's really possible because of all of the stats, location and color so I'm on the side that thinks it's real

HTodd

Pokémon Lover~
My mind = blown! Haha, but seriously, this is really plausible as opposed to other theories i.e. DITTO IS MEW THAT WAS SQUASHED UNDER A TRUCK!!!!1!!

Flame Mistress

Well, there isn't any evidence against it, so yes, it could well be true, I guess.

Also, I don't see how this is very much mind-blowing - it's a bit obvious.

Ver-mont

First of all is their color. Both Mew and Ditto are pink in their normal form.

Not really, this part. Mew is pink and Ditto is purple.

But besides that, it's very convincing.
And GameFreak probably did it on purpose, there are too many coincidences.

I saw this fact on 9GAG a few dats ago. I think its plausible.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
I always thought of Ditto as purple... But the shiny thing... Not to mention something about sprites... They both have B/W sprites reused from D/P/PT, and different sprites in HG/SS. (I can't post the images because the code doesn't want to work for some reason. >_<)

EDIT: Oh... The [img] code was turned off... How do I turn it back on?[/center]​

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Ugh, this Mew and Ditto thing again. This has been around for years, OP. It's pure coincidence and nothing more. A ton of Pokemon share weights and shiny colors. Ditto learns Transform because that's the whole point of it. A Pokemon that can become any other Pokemon. Mew learns it because it's the ancestor of all Pokemon. It doesn't mean they're connected at all.

Interesting... Especially the locations and DNA

Gumballs

Shiny Collector
I've always loved this theory. It's too many coincidences to believe that it wasn't intentional. Pretty much every video game company hides Easter Eggs in their games, whether it be things like this or little nods to other games/movies/etc, for fans to find.

Ugh, this Mew and Ditto thing again. This has been around for years, OP. It's pure coincidence and nothing more. A ton of Pokemon share weights and shiny colors. Ditto learns Transform because that's the whole point of it. A Pokemon that can become any other Pokemon. Mew learns it because it's the ancestor of all Pokemon. It doesn't mean they're connected at all.

Basically this. This topic has been speculated over and over, but unless someone from GF comes forward and says it was intentional, then for now it's just purely coincidental.

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
My mind hasn't been blown, but this is all well thought out. And as you say, Ditto can breed with almost any pokemon aside from babies and legendaries. And is it no coincidence that the two pokemon have Transform in their movepool? Without a doubt, Ditto and Mew are practically the same in DNA standards and how they are able to mimic other pokemon's genes.

SoulMuse

Shadow of nothing
I think that idea is a very good one, and well thoughtout. SAdly it remains speculation unitl someone says it is true.